Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    2010 was the last time the Steelers were AFC champions, in case anyone is bad at math that is 10 years.
    actually, it's only 9 years but hey who's counting right?

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Im counting, if the Steelers were to make the AFC championship it would still be a 10 year drought

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Last time the Chiefs were AFC Champs was 1969. In case anyone is bad at math that’s 50 years.
    Yes, but pity the long-suffering Steelers fan.

Oh, the humanity...

EDIT: Actually, it was so long ago, that KC were the AFL champs in '69, not AFC.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Im counting, if the Steelers were to make the AFC championship it would still be a 10 year drought

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Weren't they in it like 3 years ago?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think he meant “won” the AFCCG (not just “make” it).

But, yea.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Well yeah but we lost. #mediocrity #firetomlin
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yes, but pity the long-suffering Steelers fan.
    Everyone else pities us; so many years with this franchise, so little success to show for it. I hear the Browns fans are takin' up a collection for us.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I do enjoy how the absurdity of this thread continues, interspersed with futile attempts at logic.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Why let facts get in the way of the false narrative?

Hell, being in an AFC Championship game 3 years ago just doesn't make the point that Mike Tomlin is horrible. Let's just pretend that it didn't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually 3 but we know who isn't counting....

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

If everyone here is satisfied with 8-8 seasons and poor playoff performances who am i to complain? I see everyone is full off the koolaid, i believe the term is 'Homer'

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If everyone here is satisfied with 8-8 seasons and poor playoff performances who am i to complain? I see everyone is full off the koolaid, i believe the term is 'Homer'
    Satisfaction and advocating for realistic performance benchmarks are not the same thing.

Write some new material....please!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The ironic thing is when the Steelers are winning, people like you tend to not even post at all.

I believe the term is "whiny-ass crybaby."

After a series of decent but not good enough seasons, the Detroit Lions cleaned house. Brought in a fire breathing no nonsense coach that promised a return to fundamentals and hard nosed football. Team has cratered since then.

Bucaneers fired Dungy and hired Gruden and won.

Point? Changing coaches is no guarantee of positive change.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    The ironic thing is when the Steelers are winning, people like you tend to not even post at all.

I believe the term is "whiny-ass crybaby."

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'd rather be a homer than have Pittsburgh turn into Cleveland. I believe the term is 'factory of sadness'.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post

The team had a ton of injuries in that championship game, yet they outplayed and outcoached their opponent. If not for a late fumble by a backup RB due to injuries, that team goes to the super bowl and likely wins that game as they would have had a chance to get healthier.

Of course....that was Mike Tomlin's fault their best skill players were injured and didn't play in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post

Satisfied? No

Tired of people thinking that 5-11 is somehow better than 8-8? Yes

Similarly, three straight 7-9 seasons also is NOT better.

SUMMATION:
    As you stated: math

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The point has NEVER been 8-8 is good enough. BUT a coach that has coached the same team for OVER A DECADE and the WORST his team has finished is 8-8. THAT is the point. When some of you guys post, "I guess 8-8 is good enough for you", I just have to shake my head and whisper MORON! How do you get to that conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The point has NEVER been 8-8 is good enough. BUT a coach that has coached the same team for OVER A DECADE and the WORST his team has finished is 8-8. THAT is the point. When some of you guys post, "I guess 8-8 is good enough for you", I just have to shake my head and whisper MORON! How do you get to that conclusion?

Hey, Jason Garrett is available. I’ll bet he’d like to coach again. The Steelers would be a great job for him....How many many AFCCG has he won? Oh sorry......how many NFCCG has he won? ......oh. Hey Tom Coughlin’s available. He’s won some SBs. He’s only 73. He’d be a breath of fresh air for our young receivers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Garrett is going to the Giants as their new OC. Possibly followed by Jason Witten...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

Ben's record as a starter is 144-71-1, or he has won 66.97% of his games with one tie.

Tomlin's record without Ben starter is 10-8.

Tomlin is just 3-6 in his last 9 playoff games and hasn't won a playoff game in 4 years. He is 8-7 overall in the playoffs with Ben, and most of those wins came early.

Ben's playoff record is 13-8

If you are wondering, Bill Cowher was 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs and is 12-9 overall in the playoffs and won games with O'Donnell, Tomzack, Stewart, and Maddox. The fact that Cowher coached teams could go 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, 11-5, 13-3, and 10-5-1 with quarterbacks like O'Donnell, Tomzack, Stewart, Miller and Maddox...guys, to be frank, were mediocre at best as a collective group is impressive. More impressive is he won playoff games with the handicap at quarterback. This shows Cowher's quality.

Conclusion: This is Ben's team. He's the rising tide that lifts all boats. When Ben is out, Tomlin coached teams can not pick up the slack, nor can they make the playoffs. Even Ben's postseason winning percentage took a massive dive when Tomlin took over. Once Ben retires, whenever that date is, Steeler fans can forget about the playoffs until a top-tiered quarterback can be found. Tomlin isn't making the playoffs with an average Quarterback. Heck, he can't even do that lately with a healthy Ben Rothlisberger.

Prediction: Tomlin will be back for the 2020 season. While the Steelers had too much talent to have a 6-10 type of season, the odds of the Steelers winning a playoff game with Tomlin seem slim..so come Mid January 2021, it will be five years since our last playoff win. FIVE YEARS. That's unacceptable to me. Maybe, just Maybe Art Rooney II will opt not to renew Tomlin's contract ( This way, he wasn't fired ).

We could have had the following next season:

The 49ers Defensive coordinator - Robert Saleh
    The Ravens offensive coordinator - Greg Roman
    Urban Meyer - OSU head coach
    Ron Rivera - Soon to be head coach of the Redskins
    The Tomlin cheerleaders will scramble to come up with some excuse.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

This isn't difficult.

Cowher had his loaded roster, and when the starting QB of his choice went down to injury...he had Big Ben on a cheap rookie contract...so he won with Ben.

Now that Big Ben is a highly paid player, the rest of the roster isn't as strong.

Cowher already had Ben on the roster, but wouldn't use him until he had to. Cowher was very fortunate that Mr. Rooney forced him to take Roethlisberger in the draft, or Cowher probably wins zero super bowls.

Stop romanticizing Cowher's late success. He won in spite of his own decisions. He only won because he was forced to do what he didn't want to do.

100% factual. No cheerleading required.

I love Cowher and thought he was a great coach, but he got very lucky late in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This isn't difficult.

Cowher had his loaded roster, and when the starting QB of his choice went down to injury...he had Big Ben on a cheap rookie contract...so he won with Ben.

Now that Big Ben is a highly paid player, the rest of the roster isn't as strong.

Cowher already had Ben on the roster, but wouldn't use him until he had to. Cowher was very fortunate that Mr. Rooney forced him to take Roethlisberger in the draft, or Cowher probably wins zero super bowls.

Stop romanticizing Cowher's late success. He won in spite of his own decisions. He only won because he was forced to do what he didn't want to do.

100% factual. No cheerleading required.

I love Cowher and thought he was a great coach, but he got very lucky late in his career.
    How great would it have been to have had Montana as our QB in ‘93 & ‘94. Montana reached out/wanted to come here. Alas, Cowher was 100% against it.

Likewise, replace Kordell with Drew Brees, and we likely win the Super Bowl in 2001. Again, Cowher was 100% against it.

I loved Cowher, and his philosophy* “almost” worked... but, in the end, it’s a passing league rules by QBs.

*As I’ve posted numerous times, Cowher used that QB money (usually 20% of your cap) to sign/re-sign an extra four defensive players. It allowed him to have insane defenses. Alas, his QBs always seemed to falter at the worst times (in the Super Bowl and/or in the playoffs).

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Garrett is going to the Giants as their new OC. Possibly followed by Jason Witten...lol

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Stop romanticizing Cowher's late success.
    Especially when the one SB he managed to win was so poorly played that everyone outside of Steelers fans STILL swear the game was rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    WOW!! Nearly six pages into this idiotic thread and that’s the best you’ve got?