Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polamalu Headlines 2020 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Polamalu Headlines 2020 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Troy Polamalu headlines the 2020 Hall of Fame modern-era finalists: Patrick Willis among notable snubs

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is one step closer towards finalizing its largest-ever induction class

By Bryan DeArdo & Jeff Kerr

On Thursday, the Pro Football Hall of Fame revealed the 15 modern-era nominees that are finalists for induction in this year's class. Five modern-era players will be part of a record 20 enshrinees consisting of five modern-era players, 10 senior inductees, three contributors, and two coaches. Here's a look at the modern-era finalists as well as the ten semifinalists that were left off the list. The NFL will announce the full 2020 Hall of Fame induction class on the eve of Super Bowl LIV from Miami.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...notable-snubs/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Polamalu Headlines 2020 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Troy was okay. It’s not like he’s one of the Top 100 to ever play the game...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Troy was okay. It’s not like he’s one of the Top 100 to ever play the game...

I try not to get too worked up over those make-believe lists, but it's hard not to bristle at the omission of Troy Polamalu. I think I can sum it up pretty succinctly.

There had never been a player like Troy Polamalu until he came into the NFL.

He terrorized NFL offenses in a way that had never been done before with his athleticism and his football IQ. He did things that were awe inspiring and at times....seemed impossible.

There hasn't been a player like Troy Polamalu since he left football, and there may never be another player like him. He was that special, his skillset was that diverse, and his influence on games was undeniable. He was the most disruptive secondary player that I have ever seen play.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I will be stunned if Troy is not selected in his first year of eligibility

Who is his presenter next summer at the induction ceremony?

Coach LeBeau?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Troy is not selected, you can pretty much invalidate the HOF selection committee. There is not a single nominee from that list of 15 that is better and more impactful than Troy let alone 5 (which is how much will be sent in)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Troy will get in. I still wonder if Faneca gets in over Hutchinson or Boselli? I think both of those guys were higher profile players, but IMO Boselli only playing something like 6 seasons isn't enough to be HOF worthy and I would be surprised if 2 offensive guards make it in the same class, but both Faneca and Hutchinson belong.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m going. I went when Bettis went in.......like the alliteration?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If Troy is not selected, you can pretty much invalidate the HOF selection committee. There is not a single nominee from that list of 15 that is better and more impactful than Troy let alone 5 (which is how much will be sent in)
    They are going to have to start the induction ceremony at sunrise next summer

In addition to the regular inductees the NFL is planning to induct an additional “Centennial Class” of 15 coaches, players and other “contributors” as part of the 100th anniversary shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    They are going to have to start the induction ceremony at sunrise next summer

In addition to the regular inductees the NFL is planning to induct an additional “Centennial Class” of 15 coaches, players and other “contributors” as part of the 100th anniversary shenanigans

That's why the title of the article I posted calls this list "modern-era".

I hadn't heard about that until just recently.

A long day indeed.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Troy will get in. I still wonder if Faneca gets in over Hutchinson or Boselli? I think both of those guys were higher profile players, but IMO Boselli only playing something like 6 seasons isn't enough to be HOF worthy and I would be surprised if 2 offensive guards make it in the same class, but both Faneca and Hutchinson belong.
    Both Troy and Faneca should be in but they’ll come up with some cockamamie story that Polamalu and Faneca split votes or some bullshit. Hutchinson Polamalu and Faneca are all no brainers and I wouldn’t be upset if they put Boselli in with those three. He was dominating when he played...but I would also understand if Boselli never made it because he only played 7-8 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I will be stunned if Troy is not selected in his first year of eligibility

Who is his presenter next summer at the induction ceremony?

Coach LeBeau?
    LeBeau would be my first guess.

Ryan Clark a maybe.

Maybe his USC coach if his "hatred" of the Steelers carries through to then? Not sure of who he was close to in his college days

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

I’ll wave a Terrible Towel at a Ravens home game if TP does not make it in as a first ballot HOF’er.

Needless to say, I’m 99.9999% confident one of the best safeties of all time (regardless of that NFL 100 slight) makes it in without a sweat.

Polamalu, Reed and Lott are the Trifecta of safeties in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I’ll wave a Terrible Towel at a Ravens home game if TP does not make it in as a first ballot HOF’er.

Needless to say, I’m 99.9999% confident one of the best safeties of all time (regardless of that NFL 100 slight) makes it in without a sweat.

They are my top 3 as well.

Oh how lucky we have been to have a front row seat to greatness watching these guys play football.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Dan Patrick once stated that the NFL should have a “Polamalu cam”. Because, as good as Troy was after the snap, before the snap he’d do all sorts of stuff to throw off offenses. I mentioned him & Peyton (in another thread). There’s also highlights of entire O-lines yelling, “Find 43!!!” The dude HAD to be located and accounted for on every single play.

Dan Patrick once stated that the NFL should have a “Polamalu cam”. Because, as good as Troy was after the snap, before the snap he’d do all sorts of stuff to throw off offenses. I mentioned him & Peyton (in another thread). There’s also highlights of entire O-lines yelling, “Find 43!!!” The dude HAD to be located and accounted for on every single play.
    Did LeBeau even try to coach him, or did he just say “go out there and do what you do”?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Did LeBeau even try to coach him, or did he just say “go out there and do what you do”?
    They played 10 positions, allowing Troy to freelance. What is amazing is that Ryan Clark has to know where the hole was (that Troy vacated) and cover for that gap. It’s pretty amazing how GREAT Ryan Clark was, because in his first six season with the Steelers, he only gave up something like 5 total plays of 20+ yards.

Peyton Manning tipped his hat to Troy and LeBeau in his retirement speech. Classy touch.

They played 10 positions, allowing Troy to freelance. What is amazing is that Ryan Clark has to know where the hole was (that Troy vacated) and cover for that gap. It’s pretty amazing how GREAT Ryan Clark was, because in his first six season with the Steelers, he only gave up something like 5 total plays of 20+ yards.
    Had the true pleasure of meeting Clark at a James Farrior fund raiser here in Richmond the summer after they beat the Cardinals in the SB. What an incredibly intelligent guy and fun to talk to. Had him to myself for about fifteen minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Peyton Manning tipped his hat to Troy and LeBeau in his retirement speech. Classy touch.
    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...eech-44133462/

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Had the true pleasure of meeting Clark at a James Farrior fund raiser here in Richmond the summer after they beat the Cardinals in the SB. What an incredibly intelligent guy and fun to talk to. Had him to myself for about fifteen minutes.

That's very cool!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Troy P has to make it, best damned SS to ever play the game

Could you imagine a defense that had Troy and Reed in the same secondary lol. It'd be unfair.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post

In that order!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

But would TP43 be great without all those Cowher players around him?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    But would TP43 be great without all those Cowher players around him?
    Yes he would. Put him on any team and he'd be great. The dude was born to play football

The Steelers always went on losing streaks whenever Troy was out, IMO, him and Aaron Smith (aka frankenstein, it always looked like his helmet was too small for his body lol) were the 2 most important players on the defense in his era.

I know Aaron Smith will never be a hall of famer, but he's one of those unsung heroes who probably deserves as much credit as anyone else

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yes he would. Put him on any team and he'd be great. The dude was born to play football

The Steelers always went on losing streaks whenever Troy was out, IMO, him and Aaron Smith (aka frankenstein, it always looked like his helmet was too small for his body lol) were the 2 most important players on the defense in his era.

I know Aaron Smith will never be a hall of famer, but he's one of those unsung heroes who probably deserves as much credit as anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I know your post was sarcasm but I also wanted to add 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I know your post was sarcasm but I also wanted to add 2 cents

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In that order!
    As this is a Steelers forum, I will digress lol.

Seriously though, as mentioned, could you even imagine Polomalu and Reed, in their primes, playing together as FS and SS? Unfair wouldn’t even begin to describe it.