Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I'm just here to serve. I should have been a police officer.
    You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin Donuts, call a cop.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin Donuts, call a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Now.....you’re just doin somthin......I don’t know what it is.....but it’s somthin.....

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Hell look at Sean Payton. He has been lucky to coach Drew Brees(much better QB than Big Ben) his entire career, and he only has 1 SB to come out of it and multiple losing seasons. The Saints would have been flat out stupid to fire him.
    They'll be no talk of firing Sean Payton.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

STEELERZRULE: That was pass inter-fear-ence!!!

TEEGRE: What about having 31 seconds left, and not using your timeout... and getting only 1 play off???

STEELisREAL: That was a push off...

TEEGRE: How about winning it in regulation... which they could have done if they used the clock better...

STEELdong92: Da refs!!! Overtime rules is broken!!! Derp!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

STEELERZRULE: That was pass inter-fear-ence!!!

TEEGRE: What about having 31 seconds left, and not using your timeout... and getting only 1 play off???

STEELisREAL: That was a push off...

TEEGRE: How about winning it in regulation... which they could have done if they used the clock better...

STEELdong92: Da refs!!! Overtime rules is broken!!! Derp!!!!!

Fire Tomlin!!!!

Obviously....

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Fire Tomlin!!!!

Obviously....

Tomlin has lost control of the Saints’ locker room.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Tomlin has lost control of the Saints’ locker room.
    You win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Sean continues to get out coached by lesser teams. When will we move on from this cheerleader?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Sean continues to get out coached by lesser teams. When will we move on from this cheerleader?
    He'll easily be replaceable.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Not much difference there.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Not much difference there.
    Quite similar.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Dong stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Talk about a mic drop...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

It's impossible to respond to everyone in this thread but I'd love to.

First off it really just comes down to timing.

If Cowher had a better QB his first 10 years we probably win 1-2 more Superbowls but he had his warts.

If Tomlin had a better defense the past 7 years (not counting this year) we probably win more 1-2 Superbowls but he has his warts.

Both guys lose when they shouldn't and have won when they shouldn't so that's a wash. Let's face it if we had this years defense in 2017 we probably win the Superbowl against the Eagles.

They'll also be no talk of firing John Harbaugh.

The Ravens have not won a playoff game since 2014. Lost despite being big favorites, #1 seed, and having the leagues MVP vs the 6th seed Titans.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The mighty John Harbaugh just laid an egg tonight with the League MVP non-quarterback, a 14-2 record, Home Field Advantage, and lost by 15 at home to a 9-7 team with a backup quarterback who did not throw for 200 yards.

That's really terrible. I always thought Harbitch was a superior coach than Tomlin, but tonight really soured his resume and put that in question.

Oh, and Lamar Jackson to the shock of nobody, sucks when he has to throw the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So can we finally lay the Harbaugh is so great and just out coaches everyone myth to rest?

He's a good coach but not the awe inspiring figure that many seem to make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The mighty John Harbaugh just laid an egg tonight with the League MVP non-quarterback, a 14-2 record, Home Field Advantage, and lost by 15 at home to a 9-7 team with a backup quarterback who did not throw for 200 yards.

That's really terrible. I always thought Harbitch was a superior coach than Tomlin, but tonight really soured his resume and put that in question.

Oh, and Lamar Jackson to the shock of nobody, sucks when he has to throw the ball.
    I definitely see teams gameplanning to force LJ to make throws outside the hash marks/boundary next season. He got picked once doing so and almost two other times. It's a legit weakness of his and I'm not sure these type of things can get fixed.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So can we finally lay the Harbaugh is so great and just out coaches everyone myth to rest?

He's a good coach but not the awe inspiring figure that many seem to make him out to be.
    Wow didn't take long for you to jump all over that one.

I will give Tomlin credit for what he did this year it was incredible.

That said how many times did we lose to Harbaugh when we were the ones expected to win? Maybe Tomlin has turned the corner with how good the D is this year...we can only hope but the telling will be how well he does when we are not expected to win or when we are the heavy favorites to win. In the 1st meeting with the ravens this year we held our own, but 1 bad roughing the passer call and a JuJu fumble doomed us, so I will give credit for that. Most of our loses were very close and came down to the very end so again credit when you have rookie qb's. The D was a big reason for that so once again credit. If we have this same dominant D and a healthy Ben we should be able to beat them next year. Let's see how it plays out.

The ravens played well this year, but I am not surprised the titans beat them last night. There were many close games that could have gone the other way but they didn't same as the niners. The titans did everything right and that ultimately won the game. Maybe the fact that they were such big favorites to win should be credit to what Harbaugh did? When the titans got rid of Mariotta it turned their season around. They are the team right now and not a team any of the rest want to face. Would love to see them face the niners in the SB, I think they can take them and it would be a fun game to watch.

I definitely see teams gameplanning to force LJ to make throws outside the hash marks/boundary next season. He got picked once doing so and almost two other times. It's a legit weakness of his and I'm not sure these type of things can get fixed.
    I was just said the same thing (in another thread). c

John Harbaugh:
    2019: 0-1 in playoffs
    2018: 0-1 in playoffs
    2017: Missed playoffs
    2016: Missed playoffs
    2015: Missed playoffs
    2014: 1-1 in playoffs
    2013: Missed playoffs

Mike Tomlin:
    2019: Missed playoffs
    2018: Missed playoffs
    2017: 0-1 in playoffs
    2016: 2-1 in playoffs
    2015: 1-1 in playoffs
    2014: 0-1 in playoffs

Explain to me how Harbaugh is “obviously” better...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

John Harbaugh:
    2019: 0-1 in playoffs
    2018: 0-1 in playoffs
    2017: Missed playoffs
    2016: Missed playoffs
    2015: Missed playoffs
    2014: 1-1 in playoffs

Mike Tomlin:
    2019: Missed playoffs
    2018: Missed playoffs
    2017: 0-1 in playoffs
    2016: 2-1 in playoffs
    2015: 1-1 in playoffs
    2014: 0-1 in playoffs

Explain to me how Harbaugh is “obviously” better...
    I would argue that the most important position on any team is the QB. If you agree Mike has Ben and John does not have an elite QB, and that is the difference. Doing more with less.

To that point this year was an exceptional year for Mike with 2 rookie QBs. He was able to build a D that carried the team, and we were in every game. We missed the playoffs this year, but next year if we keep the D mostly intact and bring back a healthy Ben then let's see how things turn out. Again I hope Mike has turned the corner but will see how he does next season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Harbaugh is a top coach. Tomlin is a top coach.

But we all just watched a Ravens team exhibit all of the traits that Tomlin supposedly allows to infect his teams and excellent coaches, such as Harbsugh, coach out of a team.

It isn't that Harbaugh wouldn't or isn't a really good HC, but I'm only pushing back against the overwrought statements that he is head and shoulders above Tomlin or some other top end coach.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Lamar Jackson and Earl Thomas was talking Super Bowl in the middle of the season. The Ravens were high on their own press clippings and fell flat on their faces. It cannot be iterated enough.

If it were Mike Tomlin and the Steelers in this spot, he'd be savaged on this board left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Lamar Jackson and Earl Thomas was talking Super Bowl in the middle of the season. The Ravens were high on their own press clippings and fell flat on their faces. It cannot be iterated enough.

If it were Mike Tomlin and the Steelers in this spot, he'd be savaged on this board left and right.
    I did not know this but yes if that was the Steelers I would not have liked it. I felt all along that the ravens had bought into their own hype and that is a major reason I was not surprised by this loss. They thought they had "Arrived" they learned differently. I think the Steelers were like that the year they lost in the 1st round to the ravens.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I would argue that the most important position on any team is the QB. If you agree Mike has Ben and John does not have an elite QB, and that is the difference. Doing more with less.
    Harbaugh lost last night as a 9 point home favorite with the NFL MVP at QB after braying like this during the season

"I mean, to me it's on us as coaches," Harbaugh said on the Pardon My Take podcast. "Like our job is to make sure that we do everything we can to create this offense that, I would say, that well, the league has never seen before since like 1950. So, like what comes around goes around. It's not evolution, it's revolution."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-not-evolution

That attitude was after losing as a home favorite last season in the playoffs to a gimmick defense by the Chargers that the Pats obliterated the following week

I believe Harbaugh is a very good coach, even though it was regarded as likely he was done in Baltimore at the time he dumped Flacco for Jackson in 2018 as the season was circling the drain. But you are measured by your performance in the playoffs and Harbaugh's is even worse since his Super Bowl win than that of Tomlin, for which Tomlin gets roasted.

If you claim you are revolutionizing football you best win to back it up.