Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Tomlin has led the Steelers for 13 seasons. Let's compare Tomlin vs. Cowher at the same point in their careers.

Superbowl wins: Tomlin 1, Cowher 0
    Superbowl appearances: Tomlin 2, Cowher 1
    Playoff record: Tomlin 8-7, Cowher 8-9
    Losing seasons: Tomlin 0, Cowher 3
    Regular season record: Tomlin 133-73-1 Cowher 130-77

*walks away whistling...*
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Hell look at Sean Payton. He has been lucky to coach Drew Brees(much better QB than Big Ben) his entire career, and he only has 1 SB to come out of it and multiple losing seasons. The Saints would have been flat out stupid to fire him.

Pittsburgh fans are just an odd bunch, not sure anyone follows the Penguins but they were fans wanting to fire Mike Sullivan just 2 years after winning back to back cups all because they no longer were having playoff success(winning championships). To Pittsburgh fans, unless you're constantly winning titles the coach should be fired, I think these fans should become Browns fans, they even fire GM's....

Peyton is 8-6 in the playoffs, better than Tomlin's 8-7...and look for Peyton to add to his win total this year. Your right, the Saints have had some bad teams. Tomlin's teams on average had more talent. I can't recall the last team that had four all pros that finished 8-8.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Peyton is 8-6 in the playoffs, better than Tomlin's 8-7...and look for Peyton to add to his win total this year. Your right, the Saints have had some bad teams. Tomlin's teams on average had more talent. I can't recall the last team that had four all pros that finished 8-8.

Can you recall an 8-8 team that was good enough to have 4 All-Pros that had a third-string, second year QB and a fourth-string, undrafted free agent rookie as their QBs for the entire season?

Get back to us with your results.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

On the Jaguars, Tomlin admits he lost that playoff game for over working the Steelers. Max Starts said so too.
    Max who?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Max who?
    I had to look twice. Thought it said "Sharts"

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

QUESTION: Why didn’t Cowher have a top-tier QB?

A: I’ve posted about his philosophy numerous times, in numerous threads.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    QUESTION: Why didn’t Cowher have a top-tier QB?

A: I’ve posted about his philosophy numerous times, in numerous threads.
    He did have some chances.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm gonna do a John Madden post.

If your teams win a championship, they usually don't lose in the postseason
    Nowadays that is considered a Booger McFarland Post...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Steelers internet would be howling for Payton's firing on an almost annual basis. His pass wacky offense coupled with a total ignoring of defense until recently would have the black and gold faithful outraged.

Everyone knows the only real way to win football games is a punishing rushing attack that imposes your will on the opponent coupled with a physical defense. Wins from any other formula are just dong wins. Payton is the dong win champ.
    I like the Saints. I like Sean Payton. But Sean Payton’s personnel decisions and play calls drive me up the wall sometimes. It’s like he has something good going and then all of a sudden feels the need to throw Taysom Hill in at QB and it screws the whole drive up...lol.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I like the Saints. I like Sean Payton. But Sean Payton’s personnel decisions and play calls drive me up the wall sometimes. It’s like he has something good going and then all of a sudden feels the need to throw Taysom Hill in at QB and it screws the whole drive up...lol.
    2019 Randy Fichtner with play calling skills and much better players on offense?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    2019 Randy Fichtner with play calling skills and much better players on offense?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Tomlin has led the Steelers for 13 seasons. Let's compare Tomlin vs. Cowher at the same point in their careers.

Superbowl wins: Tomlin 1, Cowher 0
    Superbowl appearances: Tomlin 2, Cowher 1
    Playoff record: Tomlin 8-7, Cowher 8-9
    Losing seasons: Tomlin 0, Cowher 3
    Regular season record: Tomlin 133-73-1 Cowher 130-77

*walks away whistling...*
    Can't wait to see how Skippy attempts to spin this one.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Needs fired. Arrogant coach with gameplan designed to show how smart he is rather than play sound football. Kamara or Murray should get 50 carries.

I'm guessing that would be about the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Can you recall an 8-8 team that was good enough to have 4 All-Pros that had a third-string, second year QB and a fourth-string, undrafted free agent rookie as their QBs for the entire season?

Get back to us with your results.
    I can recall some coaches that lost their QB and not only had a winning season, but made the playoffs, and the super bowl. Can't you? Of course they were good coaches. Those are the results Also, we didn't start a rookie for the " entire season "

8-8 teams don't have four all pro's. Go find one for me.

Can't wait to see how Skippy attempts to spin this one.

Not worth my time. He's cutting out Cowher's best years. If I were to cut out Tomlin two best years, he never wins a super bowl, let alone makes one and might have the worst playoff record of any coach with 5 playoff appearances or more. Ya like those apples?

Back to reality. Tomlin has not won a playoff game in four years and is 3-6 in his last nine attempts. This sucks. But hey applaud is and act like he's a top coach. It's dishonest and hilarious.

As we know, Tomlin won with Bil Cowher's players not too far removed from a super bowl win. The amount of Tomlin apologists on this board is rather unusual. It's not that was on facebook or other web sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Fitchner didn't do a good job this season. Tomlin however called him fantastic. Which side of the fence are you on?

It's not this way on Facebook or other websites. Holy crap is that a terrible way to make an argument.

The garbage websites that I steal my opinions from are full of other people who share my uninformed view point. Therefore, Im right!

Sweet Lord. Im just going to go in a corner and cry. The inability to actually think rather than just yell prepackaged opinions loudly over and over again is just so damn sad.

If we wanna just recycle internet opinions we could talk through the idea that outside of Steelers focused internet Tomlin is universally lauded and his 2019 is seen as coaching master class.

But Six Rings Facebook friends don't like him for political reasons.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

So what everyone is saying (I really didn’t read most of this ridiculous thread) is it is hard to win championships in the NFL

It’s funny that someone would talk about cutting out a coach’s best years, and then quite a 3-6 record... leaving out that that first kiss was in a Super Bowl. He literally started counting right after the AFCCG victory.

Also, in Tomlin’s last four playoff games he’s 2-2... and 3-3 in his last six.

And, that’s 2 playoff ribs in the past four seasons (including this one)... and 3 playoff wins in the past five seasons. So, the whole “Tomlin hasn’t won a playoff game in five years” is... well... flat-out wrong.

SUMMATION:
    As someone else posted elsewhere, this guy is simply cutting-&-pasting things from elsewhere without fact-checking any of it.

It’s funny that someone would talk about cutting out a coach’s best years, and then quite a 3-6 record... leaving out that that first kiss was in a Super Bowl. He literally started counting right after the AFCCG victory.

Also, in Tomlin’s last four playoff games he’s 2-2... and 3-3 in his last six.

And, that’s 2 playoff ribs in the past four seasons (including this one)... and 3 playoff wins in the past five seasons. So, the whole “Tomlin hasn’t won a playoff game in five years” is... well... flat-out wrong.

SUMMATION:
    As someone else posted elsewhere, this guy is simply cutting-&-pasting things from elsewhere without fact-checking any of it.
    Life is just so darn hard when you're dumb. Plagiarized message board postings? C'mon.

Hopefully he's just a younger dude who will grow and develop his ability to express his thoughts and opinions.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I can recall some coaches that lost their QB and not only had a winning season, but made the playoffs, and the super bowl. Can't you? Of course they were good coaches. Those are the results Also, we didn't start a rookie for the " entire season "

8-8 teams don't have four all pro's. Go find one for me.

Did you even read my post?

I didn't say a rookie started all season. I said a third-string second year QB and a fourth-string rookie undrafted free agent played basically the whole year. More than 14 1/2 games is pretty much the whole year. Ben went down early in the second game of the season.

There's a difference between your starter going down with an ex-starting quarterback as your backup compared to two young guys with zero experience who weren't ready to play in that spot.

If you can't see that, you're either not very smart, you are intentionally ignoring facts, or both.

They didn't have Minkah Fitzpatrick for the entire season. Does that mean he doesn't count as an All Pro? Grow up with these stupid comments.

Life is just so darn hard when you're dumb. Plagiarized message board postings? C'mon.

Hopefully he's just a younger dude who will grow and develop his ability to express his thoughts and opinions.
    The sad thing is: he seems smart. Really. I was looking forward to debating with him in the off-season.

The guy seems to know draft picks... but, maybe that is simply cut-&-pasted, as well. Sad.

The sad thing is: he seems smart. Really. I was looking forward to debating with him in the off-season.

The guy seems to know draft picks... but, maybe that is simply cut-&-pasted, as well. Sad.
    I’m just wondering if he just likes seeing his own postings, or winding other people up.

- - - Updated - - -

Not worth my time. He's cutting out Cowher's best years. If I were to cut out Tomlin two best years, he never wins a super bowl, let alone makes one and might have the worst playoff record of any coach with 5 playoff appearances or more. Ya like those apples?

Back to reality. Tomlin has not won a playoff game in four years and is 3-6 in his last nine attempts. This sucks. But hey applaud is and act like he's a top coach. It's dishonest and hilarious.

As we know, Tomlin won with Bil Cowher's players not too far removed from a super bowl win. The amount of Tomlin apologists on this board is rather unusual. It's not that was on facebook or other web sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Fitchner didn't do a good job this season. Tomlin however called him fantastic. Which side of the fence are you on?
    Facebook....really....how old are you?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Fichtner did a fantastic job in what was he was tasked to do: Be a figurehead and Ben's friend.

We really need to set things straight on Randy after his body of work this year. He's not an Offensive Coordinator.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I am not a Randy fan and also believe Tomlin to be a good coach who is too loyal to underperforming assistants

My views on Randy would not change if I found out he had held a fundraiser for Hillary or Trump

I'm going with it's almost all cut and pasted. Notice how the thread opening posts are longer, more detailed, and better written than the in thread follow ups?

Almost like they're not written by the same person.

C.S. Lewis would like to answer this post with a quote from Professor Digory Kirke
    “Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools?

Not that bad...lol

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Uhh... it's the same point in time. So if Tomlin had failed to achieve a trophy ever and had 3 losing seasons in the last 7 years, do you seriously expect us to believe you wouldn't be calling for his head at this point?? I call shenanigans.
    Yeah, I cut out Cowher's best year. Not "years" plural, because he went 8-8 and failed to make the playoffs in his last year (sounds familiar).
    His best year was equivalent to Tomlin's 2020 season; i.e. NEXT YEAR... which you are advocating "cutting out".
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I'm going with it's almost all cut and pasted. Notice how the thread opening posts are longer, more detailed, and better written than the in thread follow ups?

You know what... you’re right.

I see some logic, I reply, and then... nothing. A new thread pops up; it seems to have some logic to it. I reply... and gibberish (followed by yet another thread). It all makes sense now.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

You know what... you’re right.

I see some logic, I reply, and then... nothing. A new thread pops up; it seems to have some logic to it. I reply... and gibberish (followed by yet another thread). It all makes sense now.
    I'm just here to serve. I should have been a police officer.