Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Legacy of the 2010-2019 (10's) Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

True Legacy of the 2010-2019 (10's) Steelers

Pros:

No Losing seasons. Finished no worse than 8-8.
    Second most-winningest NFL team of the decade
    A single Super Bowl appearance in the 2010 season
    Two AFC Championship game appearances (2010, 2016)
    Four AFC North division titles (2010, 2014, 2016, 2017)
    Ben Roethlisberger posts his best career seasons. Throws 12 TD's in two games in 2014.
    Antonio Brown emerges as among the elite receivers of his generation.
    The uncanny skill of Le'Veon Bell as a receiver, runner, and pass catcher.
    Troy Polamalu's DPOY season in 2010.
    The young Money Crew and later on the Killer B's are the league's most talented and prolific offenses.

Cons:

Lost their only Super Bowl appearance back in 2010, haven't been back since.
    Outside of 2010 and 2019, mostly questionable defense.
    3-6 playoff record from 2011-2019 (2-1 in 2010).

With the decade officially behind them, what is your perspective on the true legacy in your eyes of the 2010's Steelers? Were they good? Were they disappointing? Where they as mediocre as exaggerated? Will the 2020's be a drop off?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: True Legacy of the 2010-2019 (10's) Steelers

Overall this decade must be viewed as a failure. I know Art Rooney, Mike Tomlin, and fans constantly complaining about "spoiled Steeler fans" for daring to have high expectations commensurate with the talent on the field will laud this as a success but this was a failure of a decade. The decade started with the tail end of the 2nd greatest era of Steelers football and those veterans managed one last ride to the Super Bowl before losing. That was the best highlight in a decade marred by wasted talent. Losing to Tim Tebow and one of the worst playoff teams to ever be fielded. Fielding 10 pro bowls in one of the weakest conferences in NFL history, but instead losing a home playoff game to Blake Bortles, Doug Marrone, and the Jaguars. 7-2-1, numerous pro bowlers, a 2.5 game lead with 6 games to go, and having a 95% chance to make the playoffs, and they collapse and miss. 5 playoff wins, including 3 after 2010. Near annual losses to god awful teams that ruined playoff position and sometimes cost them the playoffs altogether. There's one appropriate word to describe this decade, and that is "waste".

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Regularly Fell below projected expectations of the sports writers and fans during this period. The 3-6 playoff record says it all.

So little results from all that talent they had.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I give the decade a B. All the pros you mentioned merit that. Can’t have an A without a Super Bowl win though.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

B.

Pat's, Seahawks, and Broncos arguably had better decade run in terms of SB.

But an F? C'mon.

You are what your record says you are, unless your a fan on a Steelers MB.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

In a word, disappointing. We came in with the core of a championship team and a top-5 QB in the prime of his career, and we didn't do shit with it. After about 2011, you have to admit we were never really even serious contenders. 3 playoff wins in a decade is slightly below average for all teams including the bad ones.

We had a golden opportunity and we blew it - that was the 2010s in one sentence.

As for the inevitable "you're all so spoiled, we could be the Browns or the Jets, why are you complaining" that someone will mindlessly toss out there - FUCK THAT. No, seriously, fuck that garbage. The Browns and the Jets didn't come into the decade with a strong team poised for success. Smearing mud on their fins does not mean we swam any better, so to speak. Those shit teams are irrelevant to what we did or did not accomplish. Great, we're not completely horrible, here are my 0.5 seconds of gratitude for that, now get the fuck out of here.

The fact of the matter is, year in and year out, we should have been in a great position for success, and what we ended up with, when it really counts, was below-average results. 30 years from now, nobody is going to look back at the 2010s and go, "you know what, it was really impressive that those guys kept getting 10 or 11 regular-season wins and losing wild card games." The fucking Seahawks can do that, does anyone give a shit?

Then we'll get the losers who say "you should be happy we did this well, wait until you go 26 years between good quarterbacks and then you can complain." Yeah, you know what's even dumber than that? Having the good QB and then wasting half his career over stupid shit. But hey, at least we didn't suck like the Browns despite being immensely more talented! So it's all good!

Fuckin bullshit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Compare the Steelers record to the chargers, Giants, Packers, Seahawks, Broncos, and Panthers.

Roughly equivalent early decade starting points.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but not many on that list has a dizzying array of playoff wins.

Arbitrary standards create outsized expectations that drive bitter postings.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

It was, admittedly, overall disappointing. I did expect at least one, and more likely 2 deep playoff runs this decade, but the team just wasn't there. The AB and Bell personality sets may reveal a good reason why this was so, but they still turned in a much better overall decade than most teams by a very long stretch. I would give this a C+ to B-.

Super bowls are not guaranteed even for the best team, and while this team never made it back after 2010, they still managed to put down a good record overall, even if they never managed to tie it all together at the same time. Then again, maybe if we fire everybody things will get better, because all those other teams that fire people all the time have such good results with that :-P

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

It seems to me that a competitive driven person or team would compare themselves to the best and try to reach or go beyond that. I don't think this has been the vision of the Steelers the last 10 so I give them a C. If I was Rooney I'd have Gif's of Tebow skunking this team everywhere a coach or player walked on Steeler property.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Compare the Steelers record to the chargers, Giants, Packers, Seahawks, Broncos, and Panthers.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but not many on that list has a dizzying array of playoff wins.

This.

Bottom line? Super Bowls are kinda hard to get to and even harder to win. Even the Mighty Patriots, despite having, in most folks' opinions, the best HC and QB ever, suffered a decade-long drought (2005-15) without a SB win.

The NFL is truly unique from the other major sports insofar as in the postseason, if you suffer one bad or "off" day, you go home. There are no best-of-5 or best-of-7 playoff series.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

C+

Since we’re grading like teachers, it’s the classic case of the underachieving student.
    My biggest criticism was doing so little, meaning playoff wins, with a franchise QB, WR, and RB.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    C+

Since we’re grading like teachers, it’s the classic case of the underachieving student.
    My biggest criticism was doing so little, meaning playoff wins, with a franchise QB, WR, and RB.
    Yes, but in a single-elimination tournament like the NFL playoffs, it's hard to rack up a ton of playoff wins.

And as I recall, there weren't all that many times that the franchise QB, WR and RB were all available to play once the postseason rolled around either. For example, it would have been nice to have Bell in there instead of the 4th-string RB who wound up coughing up the ball during a potentially game-icing drive in that divisional round game on the road against Denver, which also completely reversed momentum. And thanks to almost being decapitated by Birth Defect the previous week, the franchise WR wasn't available for that game either.

Since we're giving grades, mine would be a B.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

C+ only because of the Super Bowl appearance in 2010. 2011-2019 is a hard C.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Super Bowls:
    1 appearance... the same as the 90s

Playoffs:
    -lost to Super Bowl champion
    -Tebow miracle game
    -lost to division rival
    -lost to Jags (who’ve always had our number)

Even in the seasons where we didn’t make the playoffs, we were in it up until the final seconds of Week 17. I thoroughly enjoyed every season... something that I didn’t do in the 80’s nor in 1998-2000.

SUMMATION:
    Post-season: C
    Only one bad loss. Would have liked to have seen what would have occurred with the Killer B’s all healthy for the playoffs, specifically in 2016 (I feel we beat Denver and then beat the Panthers). I still cannot believe that Ben didn’t pull off the victory at the end of Super Bowl XLV.

Regular season: B+
    Enjoyable. In the playoff hunt every season. Some really outstanding games in there.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    This.

Bottom line? Super Bowls are kinda hard to get to and even harder to win. Even the Mighty Patriots, despite having, in most folks' opinions, the best HC and QB ever, suffered a decade-long drought (2005-15) without a SB win.

The NFL is truly unique from the other major sports insofar as in the postseason, if you suffer one bad or "off" day, you go home. There are no best-of-5 or best-of-7 playoff series.
    The issue is not that we had a bunch of near misses or just had some bad luck. It's that apart from the very start, we really weren't even that close. We were a tier 2 team all decade, not tier 1 or even 1A.

"But who other than the Patriots would you put in tier 1 or 1A for the whole decade, then? Checkmate, rocket scientist!"

No, not even that. It's that we were NEVER in the top tier, even for a couple years. No matter how much talent we had, we were still either a longshot, or an overhyped team that fell way short of expectations. You didn't ever have the feeling that this was it, this year we were the team to beat. Fuckin sucks. What a waste.

And no, I don't give a fuck what the Giants or the Chargers did. I'm talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers of the past decade, and what they did with their chance to win, not what some other team did with theirs. By that standard, there are other teams that started in worse position than us and had more playoff success, so I don't understand the point that guy was trying to make there.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The issue is not that we had a bunch of near misses or just had some bad luck. It's that apart from the very start, we really weren't even that close. We were a tier 2 team all decade, not tier 1 or even 1A.

"But who other than the Patriots would you put in tier 1 or 1A for the whole decade, then? Checkmate, rocket scientist!"

No, not even that. It's that we were NEVER in the top tier, even for a couple years. No matter how much talent we had, we were still either a longshot, or an overhyped team that fell way short of expectations. You didn't ever have the feeling that this was it, this year we were the team to beat. Fuckin sucks. What a waste.

And no, I don't give a fuck what the Giants or the Chargers did. I'm talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers of the past decade, and what they did with their chance to win, not what some other team did with theirs. By that standard, there are other teams that started in worse position than us and had more playoff success, so I don't understand the point that guy was trying to make there.
    Doesn't "falling short of expectations" somewhat imply that the team was in the top tier during several of those years, at least?

Teams that suck or are also-rans tend not to really have ANY expectations in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Doesn't "falling short of expectations" somewhat imply that the team was in the top tier during several of those years, at least?

Teams that suck or are also-rans tend not to really have ANY expectations in my experience.
    No man, there are expectations and there are misplaced expectations. 2 or 3 times we "expected" to be in the top tier going into the season and then fell apart, like being talked about for a Super Bowl and then went 8-8 or 9-7 and missed the playoffs. We had a ton of potential and didn't do anything with it.

The other 7 or 8 years were ones where I think anyone paying attention to the team knew we had some glaring problems and weren't going anywhere without some real luck ... I mean, even the AFCCG appearance a few years ago - tell me with a straight face that was like any of the ones from 2004-11. "Hell yeah, we BELONG here, let's go win the title," not "Holy shit, we somehow made it into the conference championship, I wouldn't have guessed that midway through the season, but what the hell, let's go with it. Hope we don't get slaughtered!" We haven't been what anyone would call a real "threat" since the last play of the Tebow game, and that sucks.

We're kind of like the Golden State Warriors from the late '80s to mid-'90s. Entertaining team, some big-name talent, but always with an obvious fatal flaw, never a serious contender, and guess what - every year they're going to get run over by the Lakers, the Jazz, the Suns, and probably the Rockets just in their own conference. Maybe they could take a game off of the Jordan Bulls or Bad Boy Pistons with a few breaks (and they sometimes did), but compared to them in the big picture conversation, they're a joke. Even against the Cavs' almost-dynasty (Buffalo Bills of basketball) the Warriors were not even in the same league. 20 years later, they're a footnote; nobody remembers them except their own hardcore fans and a few people who followed the careers of the star players.

When it's the year 2050 and football has been banned by President Thunberg, and you're sitting there on your front porch smoking your weekly allowance of crack when suddenly you're covered with 30,000 feet of melted polar ice water ... with your dying breath, will you remember Phillip Rivers and the Chargers as a kickass team and a force to be reckoned with? Or how about the 2010-19 Kansas City Chiefs? Well, what the hell have we done that distinguishes us from the Phillip Rivers Chargers or the 2010-19 Kansas City Chiefs? Not a damn thing. No, the 2010-19 Steelers will have been forgotten too as a bunch of hapless fuck-ups. So you'll think about them for 0.1 seconds, and instead of spending your last moments of consciousness basking in the glory of the Steelers' unprecedented twelve world championships, you'll be wondering what would have happened back in freshman year of college when you were making out with Suzie Hendrickson, if you had just ignored that phone call and whipped out your dick. How embarrassing. Thanks, Tomlin.

For the record, what would've happened is: "Five in the stink." I'm sorry, that's all the information I have; I'm not a goddamn fortune teller.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

True Legacy of the 2010-2019 (10's) Steelers

I would say in two words: Disappointing and Underachieving.

I’ve said it before, I would field a couple of those teams any year because on paper, they by far had more talent than a lot of other teams. They just couldn’t mesh and get it to work...I mean that offensive line, Ben, Bell, Brown, Bryant, JuJu all on one team?!? That offense should’ve been putting up 40 points a game...doesn’t matter what defense Pittsburgh was fielding...lol.

Grade-wise:

Regular Season: B
    Post Season: C+

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

NFL.com did the work for you:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...tions-of-2010s

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

I was disappointed but still entertained. Unfortunately the Steelers were an unbalanced team since the Teabow loss. They looked like the Manning era Colts, great finesse O and no D. Can’t win a Super Bowl that way! At least they were able to rebuild the O line and protect their qb, unlike the Giants.

It’s also impossible to be a top tier team if you can’t play competent pass defense.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

"The decade is an 'F' because we didn't win every Super Bowl!!!" said a few people on this forum. Yeah that's right, we didn't win any Super Bowls. But guess what, 24 other teams didn't win one either.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

As far as the 2020’s, all depends on who they have for QB. They also need to retool the OL, get a RB, TE. Setting up the Offense correctly or not will determine how successful they will be. The defense looks set for the first half of the decade.

Ben is a placeholder for the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Honestly, that list feels about right.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

It was disappointing, factoring in we had AB/Bell, and 9 years of Ben Roethlisberger and 0 championships. I'll give a D. With the talent they had, they should have won something. Unfortunately the team was more flash than substance

Let me get this straight. The argument, underneath all the colorful imagery, is that the 2010-2019 Steelers were a second tier "contender" with serious flaws in the roster at best that no one should have taken seriously as a SB threat, let alone a team to make a deep playoff run and then when the team did EXACTLY that it is somehow performing below expectations?

Like, that literally, makes no sense. And this isn't even me saying I disagree with that assessment and categorization of the team over the past decade. Just that the logic is inherently nonsense.

I'm at the point where I strongly believe the people who express the most anger and frustration are just responding emotionally to the amount of space that the Patriots have rented out in their heads and the fact that they probably talk a ton of shit about other NFL teams and then have to eat crow. I mean I want the Steelers to go 20-0 every year and just line up Lombardi's like stray Lego pieces too, but that simply isn't realistic.

The amount of SB's, so far, in the Roethlisberger era is about on the low side of (historically) what one can expect. Without the Patriots record shattering run during the same window and some better injury luck, the Steelers likely make 2 more SBs. I'm guessing there are several 1970's AFC teams, 1980's NFC teams, and 1990's NFC teams that are saying that about the Steelers, Niners, and Cowboys.

^ Don’t forget the playoff losses to HOF QB’s Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles (just off the top of my head), not to mention regularly losing to bottom dwellers in the regular season that hurt our playoff positioning. It’s not like the Steelers had a 70’s Viking’s like era with multiple sb appearances and no wins or even the oilers who got to the AFCCG’s regularly only to be beat by the Steelers. can’t lay this all at the feet of New England, we got beat by inferior competition far too often this last decade.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

You can always count on at least 2 losses every year to bottom dwellers. This team had plenty of talent to beat the cheats* but the coaching leaves a lot to be desired at times.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The losses to Bortles (and allowing 45 pts at home to that offense), and the Tebowmania game are just downright unforgivable. They'd get a C if not for those games

Let me get this straight. The argument, underneath all the colorful imagery, is that the 2010-2019 Steelers were a second tier "contender" with serious flaws in the roster at best that no one should have taken seriously as a SB threat, let alone a team to make a deep playoff run and then when the team did EXACTLY that it is somehow performing below expectations?

Like, that literally, makes no sense. And this isn't even me saying I disagree with that assessment and categorization of the team over the past decade. Just that the logic is inherently nonsense.
    Let me break it down for you: At times, it was disappointing because we had what looked like a contender and we fell on our face. The rest of the time, it was disappointing because we were sitting on the fringes, could have been a contender if we'd gotten our shit together, but we didn't. And that condition persisted for a long time. As an added low-key kick in the nuts, a lot of the reason for both was stupid shit. Egos, team chemistry, poor preparation, bad decisions, ignoring major flaws.

We came into 2010 in a strong position to be competing for championships for a long time, and instead the whole decade was a step backwards. THAT'S DISAPPOINTING.

I'm at the point where I strongly believe the people who express the most anger and frustration are just responding emotionally to the amount of space that the Patriots have rented out in their heads and the fact that they probably talk a ton of shit about other NFL teams and then have to eat crow. I mean I want the Steelers to go 20-0 every year and just line up Lombardi's like stray Lego pieces too, but that simply isn't realistic.

The amount of SB's, so far, in the Roethlisberger era is about on the low side of (historically) what one can expect. Without the Patriots record shattering run during the same window and some better injury luck, the Steelers likely make 2 more SBs. I'm guessing there are several 1970's AFC teams, 1980's NFC teams, and 1990's NFC teams that are saying that about the Steelers, Niners, and Cowboys.
    My god. Always with the Patriots. Who even cares about what the Patriots are doing? They're a shit franchise with a shit fan base, and they won a bunch of bullshit that doesn't count anyway. If I was a Patriots fan I'd have to kick my own ass.

Like I've been saying the whole time, my frustration has very little to do with what other teams have or have not accomplished in the same timespan. It's that the 2010's were there for the taking, and we turned it into a wet fart. The Patriots weren't the ones stopping us, we blew it all by ourselves. While they did whatever they did, we were busy going 8-8, or getting our asses handed to us by the Jaguars for no reason. That has shit to do with New England. I guess they benefited by walking into a few conference championships basically unopposed, but that's just adding insult to injury.

To recap, this short video summarizes the 2010-19 Pittsburgh Steelers:

the part from about 0:40 to 0:50 encapsulates what you are talking about perfectly.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No man, there are expectations and there are misplaced expectations. 2 or 3 times we "expected" to be in the top tier going into the season and then fell apart, like being talked about for a Super Bowl and then went 8-8 or 9-7 and missed the playoffs. We had a ton of potential and didn't do anything with it.

The other 7 or 8 years were ones where I think anyone paying attention to the team knew we had some glaring problems and weren't going anywhere without some real luck ... I mean, even the AFCCG appearance a few years ago - tell me with a straight face that was like any of the ones from 2004-11. "Hell yeah, we BELONG here, let's go win the title," not "Holy shit, we somehow made it into the conference championship, I wouldn't have guessed that midway through the season, but what the hell, let's go with it. Hope we don't get slaughtered!" We haven't been what anyone would call a real "threat" since the last play of the Tebow game, and that sucks.
    Fatally flawed? Personally, I think that goes for just about every team in the NFL going all the way back to the end of Plan B FA. IMO, the latter-day New England Patriots are the most overrated "dynasty" I've ever seen. Their BEST team would get crushed by pretty much any of the Cowboys/Niners teams of the early '90s.

But, whatever.