Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff upgrades?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Staff upgrades?

What do you think? Is it finally the year Danny Smith is gone? I figure everyone gets a Ben was hurt free pass. They shouldn't but they will

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Re: Staff upgrades?

O line coach...

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think they add a QB coach if nothing more than to have an in house successor to the OC position, which will be given one more year to perform.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think they add a QB coach if nothing more than to have an in house successor to the OC position, which will be given one more year to perform.
    Would be nice to have a fresh set of eyes looking at the offense and not having a QB coach with two young QBs as backups going into the past two seasons was inexplicable.

But Randy stays as OC until Ben leaves

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Let Fichtner stay with Ben. Bring in Hue Jackson as OC for the rest of the squad.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Let Fichtner stay with Ben. Bring in Hue Jackson as OC for the rest of the squad.
    With the upcoming 2020 Steelers Hard Knocks appearance, Hue Jackson a must hire after his triumphant performance with the Browns in 2018 Hard Knocks

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    With the upcoming 2020 Steelers Hard Knocks appearance, Hue Jackson a must hire after his triumphant performance with the Browns in 2018 Hard Knocks
    Aside from his stint as Brown’s HC Jackson has had a lot of success as an OC, in the AFCNorth, and with young QBs. His time with the Browns was terrible but shouldn’t define his career.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Aside from his stint as Brown’s HC Jackson has had a lot of success as an OC, in the AFCNorth, and with young QBs. His time with the Browns was terrible but shouldn’t define his career.
    Whose time with the Browns wasn't terrible??

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Add a QB and WR coach.

I can live with the rest of the staff(I've accepted that Fichtner isn't going anywhere), Butler is still the DC but going back to coaching the OLB's seem to have worked, and it's clear Tomlin has been running the defense. It's just now the defense has legit talent. Bud broke out, they added athleticism at ILB, Minkah replaced Sean Davis which solved the "miscommunication" issues.

Sarrett is fine as the OL coach Imo, the issue is the QB play(QB's have to able to pick up where the blitzes are coming from, change blocking assignments, hit the quick reads. MR and Duck were too inexperience) and the scheme(Fichtner).

Every week Alex Kozora from SD does a sack breakdown that assigns blame for sacks, here is one of them vs the Jets: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/sa...ers-vs-jets-2/

A piece from the article (click the link so Kozora can get 'clicks' for the great article)

Sack Breakdown (Season)

Devlin Hodges: 6.5
    Matt Feiler: 4.5
    Mason Rudolph: 3
    Coverage/Defensive Scheme: 3
    Alejandro Villanueva: 2.5
    Ramon Foster: 2.5
    Randy Fichtner: 2
    David DeCastro: 1.5
    Wide Receivers: 1.5
    Chukwuma Okorafor: 1
    Mike Tomlin: 0.5
    Maurkice Pouncey: 0.5
    BJ Finney: 0.5
    11.5 Sacks were on the QB's and scheme.....
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I thought his failure in Oakland defined his career......but the Browns were dumb enough to hire him. I say no to Hue

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

While I think a QB coach absolutely couldn't hurt; it won't be a magic bullet either. They say the time to fix your golf swing is not while you are playing a round. What do I mean by that? When Rudolph's footwork falls apart or Hodges starts floating INTs to the defense, there isn't much a coach (of any kind or caliber) can do during the game to get that fixed. That is on the player. Now the week prior or after a game and in the off-season...sure.

Maybe I am out to lunch. But there seems to be a certain logic around these parts that goes something like this:
    1. Team loses game(s) due to EVENTS A and B (say poor blitz pick-up and inability to convert 3rd downs).
    2. Events A and B are all on the coaching staff and represent failures in planning and instruction.
    3. Hiring "better" or "different" coaches will resolve Events A and B and prevent their recurrence.

I am not sure that it is really that simple. It essentially removes the players from the equation and reduces the game down to something along the lines of a computer simulation where all the pieces are told how to move in a predetermined manner.

Someone mentioned how they are frustrated with the offense constantly throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down. I think we all are. This year it was about 2 yards short on average. 2018 it was less than one yard short. 2016 and 2017 it was past the sticks between a half and full yard on average. So if we figure the offense is roughly the same from Haley to Fichtner (just sped up and using shorter throws) we can see a trend with Roethlisberger of throwing at or near the sticks on third downs. Without competent, or even league average, QB play -- well short. An OC can not force a guy to throw the ball. He can not throw it for him. Gotta figure the same throws that Roethlisberger was making/attempting still exist on the field, but Captains Checkdown and Never Over the Middle simply avoided them. The defense knew that they wouldn't or couldn't challenge their coverages and forced everything underneath and short. If a quarterback is either physically or mentally incapable of getting over the hurdle of aggressively challenging NFL coverages, then I am not sure that there is much a coach of any caliber or type can accomplish.

Again, this is not a defense of Fichtner or anyone else. I strongly agree that there needs to be a QB coach and an overall expansion of the coaching staff. Too many stale and repeated ideas. I would like to see a number of position coaches that skew very young hired from the college ranks and used to inject a new viewpoint to the team. I think they need a QB coach, WR coach, another defensive assistant to groom as a "DC in waiting", and I think that the Ravens have demonstrated that a few number crunching nerds can be useful to a team.

But I do strongly counter the idea that it was a lack of coaches or coaching that prevented this team from having more success in 2019. It was a lack of talent at key spots, QB in particular that totally hamstrung both the team and any coaching efforts.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Add a QB and WR coach.

I can live with the rest of the staff(I've accepted that Fichtner isn't going anywhere), Butler is still the DC but him going back to coaching the OLB's seem to have worked, and it's clear Tomlin has been running the defense. It's just now the defense has legit talent. Bud broke out, they added athleticism at ILB, Minkah replaced Sean Davis which solved the "miscommunication" issues.

Sarrett is fine as the OL coach Imo, the issue is the QB play(QB's have to able to pick up where the blitzes are coming from, change blocking assignments, hit the quick reads. MR and Duck were too inexperience) and the scheme(Fichtner).

Alex Kozora from SD has many sack breakdowns articles, here is one of them vs the Jets: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/sa...ers-vs-jets-2/

From the article,

11.5 Sacks were on the QB's and scheme.....
    Maybe Matt Feiler just isn't that good of a tackle? It was just a season ago that the team was publicly talking about how his limitations as a pass blocker changed their schemes against specific teams. Like I have no actual idea, but that breakdown chart kinda makes it look like there was a massive issue at the QB position, something going on at RT, and intermittent breakdowns in the rest of the system. That does not look like the systemic coaching and talent failure that this board has seemed to collectively decided has taken place across the offensive line.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Maybe Matt Feiler just isn't that good of a tackle? It was just a season ago that the team was publicly talking about how his limitations as a pass blocker changed their schemes against specific teams. Like I have no actual idea, but that breakdown chart kinda makes it look like there was a massive issue at the QB position, something going on at RT, and intermittent breakdowns in the rest of the system. That does not look like the systemic coaching and talent failure that this board has seemed to collectively decided has taken place across the offensive line.
    When I have time I'm going to go back and look through more games to watch Feiler. It seemed like he started out well this season but struggled closer to the end. Either way, a move to left guard is likely for Feiler Imo.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    When I have time I'm going to go back and look through more games to watch Feiler. It seemed like he started out well this season but struggled closer to the end. Either way, a move to left guard is likely for Feiler Imo.
    Let us know what you find out. I also think he moves to LG as well. Banner goes to RT. Maybe we see the return of that power run to the right side with Banner and a pulling guard leading the way? Was a staple when Gilbert was here and healthy.

Let us know what you find out. I also think he moves to LG as well. Banner goes to RT. Maybe we see the return of that power run to the right side with Banner and a pulling guard leading the way? Was a staple when Gilbert was here and healthy.
    A healthy Gilbert was missed. Sucks he no longer could stay healthy.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I still don't understand Tomlin's loyalty to his assistants - and I wish they all would go.

1) Danny Smith - has two jobs: Call creative, disciplined special teams plays and chew bubble gum. And he's all out of creativity. Steelers' special teams (outside of Boswell's dip in the fountain of youth) has been the laughing stock of the league for years now. I can't watch a kickoff or punt without expecting to see a 'holding' or 'illegal block in the back' by the kicking team on every. single. play. Does anyone really doubt Danny Smith will still be hammering away on a massive wad of bubble gum on the sidelines next September?

2) Corky Fichtner: Clearly was in over his head in trying to call game plans that protected the inexperience of several of the starters. He was made to look good by having a 15-year HOF quarterback audibling out of bad formations at the LOS. I can't tell you how many times I was screaming at the TV as Fichtner was calling runs behind the RG into 10-man fronts for no gain. Over and over again. Memo to the OC: It's okay to have your rookie QBs yell 'Alert! Alert!' at the LOS and check into a play-action to the TE running a quick slant that would but him immediately behind 10 guys on defense with the box fully stacked. I don't think I saw that once. Again, I'm sure he'll be back under the headset with a dazed, 20-watt stare, as Ben really calls the offense and makes him look 10 times smarter than he really is.

3) Keith Butler: This one's a little tougher. Butler went from a DC that gave up 45 points to Blake Friggin' Bortles only two years ago to the DC that led the league or was near the top in almost all statistical categories. Some of this is improved roster: Bush, MFF, Watt becoming a human wrecking ball, Dupree living up to first-round billing, Steven Nelson being a quiet surprise, etc. However, it's not all just talent. The core of the unit hasn't changed drastically, but what did change was Tomlin taking over most of the defensive play calls and Butler going back to being more of the OLB coach. The OLBs went nuts this year, and all of a sudden the secondary became respectible.

What does this all mean? I think it clearly showed that Tomlin is a better X's / O's coach than I thought he was. Still a questionable game manager, but if that D really had Tomlin's fingerprints on it more than Butler, then ... holy shit, dude can actually coach. It also means that Tomlin was Butler's crutch in as much as Ben was Fichtner's crutch. Without that 'assistance', both coaches just don't seem up to the task. And Danny Smith? Somebody needs to encourage him to go play in traffic. The ghost of Rich Kotite could assemble a more disciplined, effective special teams crew.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Again, this is not a defense of Fichtner or anyone else. I strongly agree that there needs to be a QB coach and an overall expansion of the coaching staff. Too many stale and repeated ideas. I would like to see a number of position coaches that skew very young hired from the college ranks and used to inject a new viewpoint to the team. I think they need a QB coach, WR coach, another defensive assistant to groom as a "DC in waiting", and I think that the Ravens have demonstrated that a few number crunching nerds can be useful to a team.

But I do strongly counter the idea that it was a lack of coaches or coaching that prevented this team from having more success in 2019. It was a lack of talent at key spots, QB in particular that totally hamstrung both the team and any coaching efforts.
    ^This. The fall-off from Darrell Drake to Ray Sherman was precipitous. This one should be a relatively easy fix in the off-season. Sherman was available when all of a sudden they had to scramble in training camp for a new WR coach. Now, with a full off-season behind them, they can really beat the bushes and find someone competent to replace the loss of Drake.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

They have a QB coach that no one knew they had and fichtner likes. Which means he probably sucks.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/20...19-season.html

Not to derail the thread, but another thought that convinces me that Tomlin isn't nor shouldn't be going anywhere: Look at how absolutely bad the coaches who just got fired are, and how completely lackluster their replacements or likely replacements are. My gawd the coaching cupboard is bare:

Fired:

Ron Rivera
    Freddie Kitchens
    Jay Gruden
    Pat Shurmer
    (most likely) Jason Garrett

Hired or rumored:

Ron Rivera for 5 years in Washington (HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!)
    Josh McDaniels (Does anyone not remember how disasterous his stint in Denver was?)
    Mike McCarthy (who Aaron Rodgers single-handedly ran out of GB)
    Eric Bieniemy / Brian Daboll / 'Baby Huey' Byron Leftwich - all coordinators with 2 or less years of OC experience
    Don Martindale - one year DC experience

Lincoln Riley / Urban Meyer - excellent college coaches who are hoping that the NFL owners will forget about how the last experiment with 'excellent college coaches' like Steve Spurrier and Kick Saban turned out.

I can't think of one person in the NFL who's currently looking for a job that I'd rather have coaching than Tomlin at the moment. Never thought I'd have said that a year ago, but there it is. This current crop of coaches is just bad. Historically bad.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I thought his failure in Oakland defined his career......but the Browns were dumb enough to hire him. I say no to Hue
    As OC???

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Treat them like Congress and throw the bums out!
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    They have a QB coach that no one knew they had and fichtner likes. Which means he probably sucks.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/20...19-season.html
    The guy is a history grad from Duke that I can find no evidence of ever playing football. He would have zero idea of QB mechanics or coaching it up. He looks like he manages stats and video at QB meeting room and gets coffee.

The guy is a history grad from Duke that I can find no evidence of ever playing football. He would have zero idea of QB mechanics or coaching it up. He looks like he manages stats and video at QB meeting room and gets coffee.
    I can look at his picture and tell he's never played football.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

As OC???
    Try a quick search on a few topics about Hue Jackson and let me know if you still would want him at a Steeler coach. The topic are:

-Hue Jackson blames Raiders players for loss to Chargers and missing playoffs
    -Hue Jackson blames Browns for not drafting Wentz, Desean Watson, Mahomes. (for bonus search, Michael Silver report contradicts Jacksons claim- Hue wanted Malik Hooker)
    -Hue Jackson tells owner Jimmy Haslam to "get the Fu@k out of my office"
    - Baker Mayfield comments on Hue Jackson
    -Hue Jackson great QB's developed (list includes Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Joe Flacco, Joey Harrington...)
    -Hue Jackson trades 1st and 2nd round picks for Carson Palmer.

You may still like him for OC, but I see the historical evidence pointing to a guy that screws up, blames others (in spectacular fashion I might add) for his mistakes, avoids taking responsibility for his actions and uses revisionist history to mask his faults.

In short, I think he is a douchebag that should never set foot in a Steelers organization.

Yup, the Steelers have a bunch of young QB's with mechanics and footwork issues from playing in no huddle, pistol or read option systems and a position coach that could not recognize those issues or relate them to how it can improve accuracy, velocity, etc.

They then follow it up with a guy that played O line at Kent State, who we would think learned from coaching behind a hall of fame O lineman, but the lack of finishing of blocks, playing to the whistle or eroding of mechanics/technique seem to indicate otherwise.

Go get some good coaches Mike!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Try a quick search on a few topics about Hue Jackson and let me know if you still would want him at a Steeler coach. The topic are:

-Hue Jackson blames Raiders players for loss to Chargers and missing playoffs
    -Hue Jackson blames Browns for not drafting Wentz, Desean Watson, Mahomes. (for bonus search, Michael Silver report contradicts Jacksons claim- Hue wanted Malik Hooker)
    -Hue Jackson tells owner Jimmy Haslam to "get the Fu@k out of my office"
    - Baker Mayfield comments on Hue Jackson
    -Hue Jackson great QB's developed (list includes Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Joe Flacco, Joey Harrington...)
    -Hue Jackson trades 1st and 2nd round picks for Carson Palmer.

You may still like him for OC, but I see the historical evidence pointing to a guy that screws up, blames others (in spectacular fashion I might add) for his mistakes, avoids taking responsibility for his actions and uses revisionist history to mask his faults.

In short, I think he is a douchebag that should never set foot in a Steelers organization.
    He does have a point with the Browns not drafting Wentz, Watson, or Mahomes though. The Browns would be a serious problem if they drafted Mahomes especially, though maybe even Cleveland would be enough of a dumpster fire to destroy whatever career Mahomes would have had with them lol.

Yup, the Steelers have a bunch of young QB's with mechanics and footwork issues from playing in no huddle, pistol or read option systems and a position coach that could not recognize those issues or relate them to how it can improve accuracy, velocity, etc.

They then follow it up with a guy that played O line at Kent State, who we would think learned from coaching behind a hall of fame O lineman, but the lack of finishing of blocks, playing to the whistle or eroding of mechanics/technique seem to indicate otherwise.

Go get some good coaches Mike!
    I think the idea of getting some good coaches is one that everyone endorses. Where to find them is the thing. I will throw out that extensive NFL experience either playing or coaching is not always required.

What if Sarrett is the next Dante Scarnecchia -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Scarnecchia -- I totally doubt it but just because he played only at Kent State doesn't mean he fundamentally isn't qualified to coach the position at a high level.

Matt Nagy was recently anointed a "Qb whisperer" a few years back and he doesn't exactly have a deep NFL record -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Nagy

Do I think that Sarrett and Skippy the Duke Intern QB video guy are great at their jobs? Most likely not. Do I think that their lack of NFL experience by definition means they won't be good coaches? Also no.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He does have a point with the Browns not drafting Wentz, Watson, or Mahomes though. The Browns would be a serious problem if they drafted Mahomes especially, though maybe even Cleveland would be enough of a dumpster fire to destroy whatever career Mahomes would have had with them lol.
    Read this article. You will see that Jackson pre draft says #2 was too high to take Wentz, but after he was fired from the Browns, he blames the browns for trading out of the #2 spot and not getting Wentz. Hue Jackson is an a$$clown.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...wentz-at-no-2/

Michael SilverVerified account
    @MikeSilver
    Follow Follow
    @MikeSilver

More

I talked to Hue Jackson about Wentz many, many times pre-draft. Jackson never disparaged his ability. Thought 2 was too high to take him.