Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the second season in a row, the season ends in a collapse

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Re: For the second season in a row, the season ends in a collapse

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Of course - but you have no margin for error and not only have to get stops but score and generate turnovers in the opposing team’s end of the field to overcome an offense that averaged one touchdown a game the second half of the season. By my count 4 of the 8 wins (Chargers, Colts, Rams, Cards) required a defensive or special teams TD to win.

In today’s NFL an offense scoring in the low to mid-teens is a load to overcome. Hard enough to do your own job well without having to do that of incompetent coworkers’ as well every damn week.

In any line of work eventually that wears you down. 1976 Steelers pulled it off until the AFC championship game loss but was a defense for the ages. It is even happening to the all powerful Patriots defense the second half of this season.
    great points!

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

I think there are some pretty legitimate arguments from each side of the fence on Tomlin. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan. Having said that, I thought he did one of his strongest jobs this year getting the results he did. My biggest fear is that we've peaked with him in turns of results. Although I think we could definitely do much worse than Tomlin, I don't think he will ever get us to the top of the mountain again and having grown up and seeing all 6 Super Bowl wins the idea of not really being in the mix and being ok with it rubs my psyche the wrong way. I don't have an answer for anyone who asks "Who would you put in there instead?" but that isn't my job. I'm not evaluating assistant coaches thru the league or college coaches. I give Tomlin credit for never letting this team fall apart regardless of how many injuries or issues we've ever run into (this year definitely a stand out in that respect) but I don't think he'll ever get us another Super Bowl and for that reason, I'd be looking for a new head coach.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Shouldn't that be the Defense's goal week in and week out regardless?

When you start trying to force turnovers and score points instead of just letting them come, you open the door to a lot of things. Missing tackles that turn into big gains because you are more worried about stripping the ball than the tackle. Gambling and guessing so you are out of position and you give up plays. Losing contain because you are rushing upfield to make plays. I could go on and on. If you play football, at some point you will be in that position. It happens to defensive players, and it happens to offensive players when they feel they need to score every time they have the ball.

It is great to see that determination in players, but in the end it is detrimental to sound, fundamental football. It will catch up to you at some point, and it wears on you psychologically and emotionally.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I think there are some pretty legitimate arguments from each side of the fence on Tomlin. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan. Having said that, I thought he did one of his strongest jobs this year getting the results he did. My biggest fear is that we've peaked with him in turns of results. Although I think we could definitely do much worse than Tomlin, I don't think he will ever get us to the top of the mountain again and having grown up and seeing all 6 Super Bowl wins the idea of not really being in the mix and being ok with it rubs my psyche the wrong way. I don't have an answer for anyone who asks "Who would you put in there instead?" but that isn't my job. I'm not evaluating assistant coaches thru the league or college coaches. I give Tomlin credit for never letting this team fall apart regardless of how many injuries or issues we've ever run into (this year definitely a stand out in that respect) but I don't think he'll ever get us another Super Bowl and for that reason, I'd be looking for a new head coach.
    got to give Tomlin a couple years to pair him with Bens remaining years put some good pieces around them and see what they can do. I do think Tomlin and Fichtner are a bad match. Tomlin is not Belichick, he’s not a detail oriented guy or a great organizer, he’s a great motivator, but he relies on his coordinators, specially offense. With strong coordinators and Tomlin’s leadership and motivational skills this team would take off - don’t know why the team has not been more careful in selecting the right coordinators to pair with him, to say nothing of not having a QB coach.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

This team is a long way from being the Packers of the mid-1960s or the Steelers of the late 1970s. Only teams with less discipline are the Clowns and Bengals or possibly the Raiders of the 1970s, but at least they won Super Bowls. Lack of preparation has been a factor for years with this crew. Too many distractions were annoying while losing made them a laughingstock.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    This team is a long way from being the Packers of the mid-1960s or the Steelers of the late 1970s. Only teams with less discipline are the Clowns and Bengals or possibly the Raiders of the 1970s, but at least they won Super Bowls. Lack of preparation has been a factor for years with this crew. Too many distractions were annoying while losing made them a laughingstock.
    As are all 31 other franchises in the entire NFL currently. It is no longer possible to assemble and field a decade long dynasty with the stability and dominance of the the Packers or Steelers. The salary cap is reason number one and there are others baked into how the league functions currently.

Oh, but, MOjoUW, the Patriots have done it! They are so good and dominant! Sure, and they totally remade their roster about 5-6 times in the past whatever years in the Billy B and Tommy B era. Other then the coach and the QB, they have been about 5 or 6 different teams over their run.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    As are all 31 other franchises in the entire NFL currently. It is no longer possible to assemble and field a decade long dynasty with the stability and dominance of the the Packers or Steelers. The salary cap is reason number one and there are others baked into how the league functions currently.

Oh, but, MOjoUW, the Patriots have done it! They are so good and dominant! Sure, and they totally remade their roster about 5-6 times in the past whatever years in the Billy B and Tommy B era. Other then the coach and the QB, they have been about 5 or 6 different teams over their run.
    Not much to counter/add to that.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Exactly. This was a season of adversity, followed by more adversity and its pretty great to see this group of players persevere thru it and compete to the end. Now if Steelers fans could just learn to persevere thru some adversity, they might find out that it makes being a fan of such a successful franchise so much better than some fair weather team/fanbase like Seattle.
    QFT - except for Seattle fans. Not sure where you're getting that. I grew up in the NW. Seattle fans have been some of the most die hard fans I've known, especially as they persevered through the Dave Kreig and Rick Mirer days.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well add to that the complete ineptitude of the other 3 teams that haven’t fielded even a JV squad for almost 20 years which gives them 6 gimme wins every season, and constant ways they find to “skirt the rules” (aka cheat) helped them with their dynasty.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well add to that the complete ineptitude of the other 3 teams that haven’t fielded even a JV squad for almost 20 years which gives them 6 gimme wins every season, and constant ways they find to “skirt the rules” (aka cheat) helped them with their dynasty.
    Very true.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    IMO that does show pretty poor judgment.

Now excuse me while I go commit suicide with two shotgun blasts to the back of the head.
    I wonder how many got the shotgun comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    got to give Tomlin a couple years to pair him with Bens remaining years put some good pieces around them and see what they can do. I do think Tomlin and Fichtner are a bad match. Tomlin is not Belichick, he’s not a detail oriented guy or a great organizer, he’s a great motivator, but he relies on his coordinators, specially offense. With strong coordinators and Tomlin’s leadership and motivational skills this team would take off - don’t know why the team has not been more careful in selecting the right coordinators to pair with him, to say nothing of not having a QB coach.
    Tomlin motivates? The Steelers looked dead far too many times under Tomlin's reign.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Tomlin motivates?
    Yeah even Bradshaw acknowledges that.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Ok. I think it's clear what the agenda is here.
    I think it's clear you're okay with not winning a playoff game in 4 years, and missing the playoffs two years in a row due to epic collapses at the end of the season. My agenda is hoping the Steelers correct their problems. Yours is to defend Tomlin at all costs.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I think it's clear you're okay with not winning a playoff game in 4 years, and missing the playoffs two years in a row due to epic collapses at the end of the season. My agenda is hoping the Steelers correct their problems. Yours is to defend Tomlin at all costs.

If you can't look at the injuries this year with this team and the performance Tomlin was able to get out of them, and understand how good a job he did, you don't know a thing about football.

This isn't about defending Tomlin at all cost for most of us. It's knowing the difference between real criticism and bullshit bashing. If you think he didn't do a great job this year coaching this team, you discredit any further comments you have on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    “Epic” is one of the most overused and incorrectly used words. 95% of the people who use it don’t know what it means.....look it up.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Exactly. This was a season of adversity, followed by more adversity and its pretty great to see this group of players persevere thru it and compete to the end. Now if Steeler fans could just learn to persevere thru some adversity, they might find out that it makes being a fan of such a successful franchise so much better than some fair weather team/fanbase like Seattle.
    don’t forget the 80’s, many of us experienced that era. That’s why we want the Ben era to be milked for all it’s worth, cause we still remember Malone and Graham trying to play QB

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I loved Mark Schlereth's response when he was asked why would a team of the Patriot's stature need to film the 1 win Bengals sidelines and coaches, a team they should be able to beat easily every week. Mark responded with, "Because cheaters cheat. It's what they do. It's what they have always done and it's the only way they know how to do."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol. It’s awesome that many people realize that they are what they are...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    “Epic” is one of the most overused and incorrectly used words. 95% of the people who use it don’t know what it means.....look it up.
    Epic: heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.

That's according to the dictionary.
    Hater = Realist

The beginning of the collapse. How did we ever lose to the Bills? They are only dominating franchise QB (according to Cowherd) Watson and the Texans. 62 total yrds of offense in the first half.

The beginning of the collapse. How did we ever lose to the Bills? They are only dominating franchise QB (according to Cowherd) Watson and the Texans. 62 total yrds of offense in the first half.
    Bill Obrien's Texans are like collapse?! Hold my beer! We got this!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Texans fired up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Our Offensive coordinator deciding bringing out the wildcat, and have our undrafted rookie QB throw over 30 times against the league's best secondary and their shutdown corner, when their weakness is run defense may have something to do with it.

Even if the Steelers beat the Bills, they don't beat the Patriots like the Titans did.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Our Offensive coordinator deciding bringing out the wildcat, and have our undrafted rookie QB throw over 30 times against the league's best secondary and their shutdown corner, when their weakness is run defense may have something to do with it.

Even if the Steelers beat the Bills, they don't beat the Patriots like the Titans did.
    We don't know how much involvment Tomlin has with the offense but Randy boy has to go. He has no offensive mindset to be coaching any NFL team.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Eagles only scored 9 points with their backup QB.

Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Eagles only scored 9 points with their backup QB.

Weird.

We all know that's because of horrible coaching.

Besides, they would have only scored 9 points if their starter stayed in the game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    We all know that's because of horrible coaching.

Besides, they would have only scored 9 points if their starter stayed in the game.
    Obviously.

That said, Sean Payton would have been able to win with a backup. Because, honestly, today... Taysom has a better game than Drew.

#benchBrees

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I loved Mark Schlereth's response when he was asked why would a team of the Patriot's stature need to film the 1 win Bengals sidelines and coaches, a team they should be able to beat easily every week. Mark responded with, "Because cheaters cheat. It's what they do. It's what they have always done and it's the only way they know how to do."

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Helps that their QB signed a contract that is paying him 20-25M under his market value. The fact he has a rich a$$ wife means the Patriots****** are playing with 25M more cap room than other teams get to work with. Cheaters in every sense