Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers pick 18th in the 2020 draft

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Steelers pick 18th in the 2020 draft

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I repeatedly forget about that. Then move Feiler to LG and let Banner step in at RT? Now the draft priority maybe slips down a round or two?
    IMO, not with the OL talent in this draft. Draft OL early, draft OL often.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    IMO, not with the OL talent in this draft. Draft OL early, draft OL often.
    sure, it most likely comes down to BPA, but I think if there is a TE, RB, OLB of note out there on the board, they jump at that in the 2nd and address O line later.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I repeatedly forget about that. Then move Feiler to LG and let Banner step in at RT? Now the draft priority maybe slips down a round or two?
    Yes, I like a line of Villaneuva, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Banner with reserves of Okorafor, Derwin Grey, Hassenauer and a rookie or 2.

I still think that these guys need an O line coach that instills some kind of improved communication, technique, confidence. I saw guys stop blocking before the whistle yesterday and that could be a lack of practice structure or belief in the play call or your position coach. Relentless effort is habit forming and it really wasn't yesterday or at other times during the season.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, I like a line of Villaneuva, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Banner with reserves of Okorafor, Derwin Grey, Hassenauer and a rookie or 2.

I still think that these guys need an O line coach that instills some kind of improved communication, technique, confidence. I saw guys stop blocking before the whistle yesterday and that could be a lack of practice structure or belief in the play call or your position coach. Relentless effort is habit forming and it really wasn't yesterday or at other times during the season.
    Agreed. There seemed to be a clear lack of communication, thinking and confidence along the line. There looked like there were many more mental errors and technique errors opposed to not physically being able to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Just in case Jacob Eason somehow does not make it to #49...

The LG that I like a lot is Shane Lemieux, Oregon. Maybe it’s his name that caught my attention.

Really though, he is the best O-lineman in the PAC-12 (which is the conference about which I hear the most). IMO, he’s the real deal... not just another hyped-up Duck. Being a Duck, he plays faaast. He pulls, moves quickly, and gets from one block to the next block. My concern is his ability to “sustain” blocks. (I haven’t really looked at that. I use the “Blink” method, and like I stated, Lemieux’s speed is what stands out.)

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Just a early mock of my idea how the draft could go. Main needs: TE, OL, DT, safety(depth)

2. Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma
    3. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton (I'm still learning about him, but he's starting to gain hype. 6'6" receiving TE, he'll be at the senior bowl)
    4. Logan Stenberg, G, Kentucky (6'6" mauler. I'm sure the Steelers noticed him while watching Benny Snell)
    4. K'Von Wallace, S/Slot, Clemson

Could place a WR, or RB with the second 4th round pick but they have depth at those positions, unlike at safety.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Just a early mock of my idea how the draft could go. Main needs: TE, OL, DT, safety(depth)

3. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton (I'm still learning about him, but he's starting to gain hype. 6'6" receiving TE, he'll be at the senior bowl)
    4. Logan Stenberg, G, Kentucky (6'6" mauler. I'm sure the Steelers noticed him while watching Benny Snell)

Could place a WR, or RB with the second 4th round pick but they have depth at those positions, unlike at safety.
    that is an excellent mock draft!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    that is an excellent mock draft!
    Don't tell teegre, because the Ravens will draft him....but I really want Gallimore.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I really like your R3 pick. El has mentioned him a few times now.

Speaking of Gallimore, SD did a draft profile on him today.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/20...lle-gallimore/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Just in case Jacob Eason somehow does not make it to #49...

The LG that I like a lot is Shane Lemieux, Oregon. Maybe it’s his name that caught my attention.

Really though, he is the best O-lineman in the PAC-12 (which is the conference about which I hear the most). IMO, he’s the real deal... not just another hyped-up Duck. Being a Duck, he plays faaast. He pulls, moves quickly, and gets from one block to the next block. My concern is his ability to “sustain” blocks. (I haven’t really looked at that. I use the “Blink” method, and like I stated, Lemieux’s speed is what stands out.)
    Oregon's entire starting OL may succeed in the NFL. That's a good line. You should also look into Ben Bredesen at Michigan IOL. Maybe not as fast as Lemieux but a brute with technique. Lots of really good OL prospects this year. Lots of teams looking at them too.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Oregon's entire starting OL may succeed in the NFL. That's a good line. You should also look into Ben Bredesen at Michigan IOL. Maybe not as fast as Lemieux but a brute with technique. Lots of really good OL prospects this year. Lots of teams looking at them too.
    Noted. Thank you.

Likewise, El Gonzo mentioned the OC from Michigan: Cesar Ruiz.

I’ll take your guys’s word for it, because I don’t watch much football these days (I’m taking classes, my daughter is in club soccer, my son is... time-consuming LOL).

That’s what is nice about this forum: we can delegate the scouting of different teams/conferences to different people. Speaking of which, mojoUW being a fan of UW, can tell us all about Tyler Biadasz (OC). In that same vein, I can attest to the fact that the 8U league of SD Girls Soccer has no one who can play O-line in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Noted. Thank you.

Likewise, El Gonzo mentioned the OC from Michigan: Cesar Ruiz.

I’ll take your guys’s word for it, because I don’t watch much football these days (I’m taking classes, my daughter is in club soccer, my son is... time-consuming LOL).

That’s what is nice about this forum: we can delegate the scouting of different teams/conferences to different people. Speaking of which, mojoUW being a fan of UW, can tell us all about Tyler Biadasz (OC). In that same vein, I can attest to the fact that the 8U league of SD Girls Soccer has no one who can play O-line in the NFL.
    Biadasz is another in a long line of "typical" UW lineman. He doesn't wow you with any one skill, but then you realize he just gets his job done play in and play out. Looks strong as an ox and as big as one too. Seems to play with a bit of nastiness as well. I think he likes hitting guys. The biggest problem, and this is with all UW lineman, is the offense is just so basic straight ahead running that it's hard to evaluate his pass protection and his movement. Can he pull? Can he work into the second level of the defense? Complex combo blocks? Really no idea. But the starting point of a big strong nasty run blocking pivot isn't a bad place to build out from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior bowl gonna be great, as Bredeson, Logan Stenberg-Kentucky and Jonah Jackson from Ohio St all accepted invites.

I still think the Steelers need somebody that can play C/G, so that is why I am pimping Ruiz. I am a believer in moving Feiler to guard to replace Foster and they will need to replace Finney who should be moving on to another more lucrative offer.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Senior bowl gonna be great, as Bredeson, Logan Stenberg-Kentucky and Jonah Jackson from Ohio St all accepted invites.

I still think the Steelers need somebody that can play C/G, so that is why I am pimping Ruiz. I am a believer in moving Feiler to guard to replace Foster and they will need to replace Finney who should be moving on to another more lucrative offer.
    I can definitely go along with Ruiz. I was hoping to get an IOL last draft. We did get Gray though. If Foster leaves and Feiler(RFA) takes over at LG then Finney(UFA) will almost have to be re-signed(probably $5M range) don't you think? That leaves only Hassenaur(Exclusive Rights) as depth. Unless the Steelers do land one of these premier IOL prospects. OT is not great either with Chuks, Banner, and Gray in that scenario. Maybe an OL draft prospect AND a FA gets brought in?

My guess is Foster stays, Feiler is 1st backup at both guard spots, Finney leaves in FA, and Hassenaur backs up Pouncey. A prospect like Ruiz/Bredesen or Lemieux/Hansen gets drafted and a shot to steal a spot. We end up with AV/Chuks at LT and Banner/Gray at RT. Time will tell.

I can definitely go along with Ruiz. I was hoping to get an IOL last draft. We did get Gray though. If Foster leaves and Feiler(RFA) takes over at LG then Finney(UFA) will almost have to be re-signed(probably $5M range) don't you think? That leaves only Hassenaur(Exclusive Rights) as depth. Unless the Steelers do land one of these premier IOL prospects. OT is not great either with Chuks, Banner, and Gray in that scenario. Maybe an OL draft prospect AND a FA gets brought in?

My guess is Foster stays, Feiler is 1st backup at both guard spots, Finney leaves in FA, and Hassenaur backs up Pouncey. A prospect like Ruiz/Bredesen or Lemieux/Hansen gets drafted and a shot to steal a spot. We end up with AV/Chuks at LT and Banner/Gray at RT. Time will tell.
    Foster is under contract, but the Steelers can save $4million if they cut him. Buh, bye. Finney is an UFA, but they shouldn't pay him $5million to back up Pouncey...buh-bye.

Banner showed well against the #2's in preseason at LT, enough that he was active on gameday and not Chukks….Banner should get the shot at RT, while Feiler(who cant handle speed rush or speed guys with inside counter at RT) should move inside to guard. Therefore, the Steelers need an interior lineman that can play G/C backing up on gameday and Hassenauer might be the guy. They also need to plan for the replacement of Pouncey who will be 31 in July with multiple injuries.

Gray with his long arms and decent footwork, might actually be a better RT than G, but I think his upside is a backup at both spots or maybe a starter at RT. Chukks, Banner, Gray leave the line stocked at OT, so the Steelers should look to bolster interior line depth IMO. Need to also look at D line with McCullers sucking and AluAlu, Heyward getting older and Hargrave likely on the way out.

Compiling all of the names in this thread... in which round would we expect to see them drafted:

Tyler Biadasz -

Shane Lemieux -

Cesar Ruiz -

Ben Bredesen -

Logan Stenberg -

Jonah Jackson -

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Compiling all of the names in this thread... in which round would we expect to see them drafted:

Tyler Biadasz -

Shane Lemieux -

Cesar Ruiz -

Ben Bredesen -

Logan Stenberg -

Jonah Jackson -
    here are Walter Football's C & G rankings:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020C.php

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020OG.php

From twitter, Ruiz is getting a lot of fans, I expect he'll go round 2 and I'm not sure he'll be there when the Steelers pick.

From twitter, Ruiz is getting a lot of fans, I expect he'll go round 2 and I'm not sure he'll be there when the Steelers pick.
    I think we'll need to wait until after the Combine to make a lot of these determinations...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

This really feels like a BPA draft as we have no absolute needs, yet we have plenty of needs.

I’m really hoping they find a way to keep Bud. Otherwise edge rusher might become an absolute need and force a reach or a trade up.

I’d rather be able to go O line or D line early, depending on who is available. It would be nice to find a good RB and TE in there somewhere.

I’m really not as worried about WR as I thought I’d be. I think we actually have a lot of young talent that will improve with Ben. Dionte Johnson looks like he’ll become a true number one eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.

If we can keep this defense together then our 2020 season is really all about where Ben is. If he doesn’t have a major drop off I believe we can make it work with mostly the players on the current roster.

I just want at least one break out stud in this draft, even if that is a guard. We already know that our first round pick is a success.

I think we'll need to wait until after the Combine to make a lot of these determinations...
    Sure the combine creates hype and can change some of the rankings but the tape tells all.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Sure the combine creates hype and can change some of the rankings but the tape tells all.
    In most cases I definitely agree with you. But I’m pretty sure TJ Watt’s combine elevated his draft status and rightly so.

I also think that DK Metcalf proved that sometimes it’s worth it to take a chance on an athletic freak who blows everyone away at the combine.

I think the combine is a useful tool, but it shouldn’t be everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I also think that DK Metcalf proved that sometimes it’s worth it to take a chance on an athletic freak who blows everyone away at the combine.

I think the combine is a useful tool, but it shouldn’t be everything.
    Actually, DK’s Combine was the thing that caused him to drop (e.g. his three-cone drill was awful).

Actually, DK’s Combine was the thing that caused him to drop (e.g. his three-cone drill was awful).
    very true, Metcalf had an awful performance in the 3-cone (7.38 second) and short-shuttle (4.5 seconds) at the combine.

and NFL teams were also worried about the existing neck injury that shortened his final season at Ole Miss...

If I have time, I’ll compile a spreadsheet that has the ranking from an assortment of sites (thank you fir those)... and from Twitter... plus, our own thoughts on these players.

If I have time, I’ll compile a spreadsheet that has the ranking from an assortment of sites (thank you fir those)... and from Twitter... plus, our own thoughts on these players.
    it would be really nice and helpful to sticky that kind of info for the players we bring in for official visits (and take out for dinner, of course) on the top of the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Round 2 - LeVeon Bell type RB
    Round 3 (Comp) - Jon Kolb type T
    Round 4 - Ike Taylor type CB
    Round 4 - Aaron Smith type DE
    Round 6 - Antonio Brown type WR
    Round 7 - Brett Keisel type DE

It’s really that easy...lol...maybe an Adrian Cooper type TE in Round 4 or a John Stallworth type WR?
    Maybe a James Harrison type undrafted free agent. But this one needs to be good right away.

Sleeper RB?