Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Going Forward; What You Want to See

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Going Forward; What You Want to See

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Aren't all the rumors saying the Steelers are cutting the following:
    Barron
    Chickillo
    ahhhh brain fart on the last one but those 2 I've seen lots of
    Of course that has been the long running speculation. And it is almost certainly true.

But if one desired to really carve out some cap space, you would have to start looking at Haden, Heyward, Nelson, and Tuitt. Alternatively, you could look at Ben R, Pouncey or Decastro. After those names, the team really isn't paying anyone a great deal of money. And if you take a look at things moving forward, the defense projects to be the "spendy" side of the ball. Nelson, Tuitt, Heyward, Dupree or Hargrave, Watt, Bush, Fitzpatrick, and Edmunds all either are currently or project to be guys who get paid a ton to play NFL football.

I just have never got the argument that "cap space" is a great thing to just have lying around. Teams that have cap space usually have it because their roster stinks. They failed at drafting and developing guys worth paying. So now they are forced to pay inflated FA prices for other teams cast offs. I would far rather be "capped out" every year. It, likely, means my team has drafted well and has a core of talented players to build around.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Of course that has been the long running speculation. And it is almost certainly true.

But if one desired to really carve out some cap space, you would have to start looking at Haden, Heyward, Nelson, and Tuitt. Alternatively, you could look at Ben R, Pouncey or Decastro. After those names, the team really isn't paying anyone a great deal of money. And if you take a look at things moving forward, the defense projects to be the "spendy" side of the ball. Nelson, Tuitt, Heyward, Dupree or Hargrave, Watt, Bush, Fitzpatrick, and Edmunds all either are currently or project to be guys who get paid a ton to play NFL football.

I just have never got the argument that "cap space" is a great thing to just have lying around. Teams that have cap space usually have it because their roster stinks. They failed at drafting and developing guys worth paying. So now they are forced to pay inflated FA prices for other teams cast offs. I would far rather be "capped out" every year. It, likely, means my team has drafted well and has a core of talented players to build around.
    The players you list make tons of sense but in saying that they're also the main guys you have and none have dropped off to the point of being a casualty...yet! haha

I would 'try' to restructure/extend Hayward for sure and possibly Tuitt/DeCastro
    Not sure I do Pouncey as I'm not sure how long he has left
    Ben same thing...if he comes back to what he can be then you'd maybe do so but if he's a shell of himself then what?

Plus next year TJ & JuJu are up...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    The players you list make tons of sense but in saying that they're also the main guys you have and none have dropped off to the point of being a casualty...yet! haha

I would 'try' to restructure/extend Hayward for sure and possibly Tuitt/DeCastro
    Not sure I do Pouncey as I'm not sure how long he has left
    Ben same thing...if he comes back to what he can be then you'd maybe do so but if he's a shell of himself then what?

Plus next year TJ & JuJu are up...
    Al true and in 2022, there are 11 guys under contract as of today. And the only one from that "big money" list is Tuitt -- also the youngest on that list. For 2021, they only have about 2 dozen players under contract and almost $90 million in cap space. So everyone keeps talking about cap space and how are they going to sign Watt, Juju, Conner, etc. They have all the cap space in the world AFTER this season. Which is also exactly when they have to start signing those good young players. It is almost like they planned it or something.

Now if they can magically find a post Ben R QB, then they are right back to the position they have been in for the past 15 years or so. A talented roster of homegrown talent with an annual chance to compete for a deep playoff run. The trouble is that it is really difficult to find that QB drafting 20+ every year. So I suspect there will be a "disaster" season sometime in the next 3 years or so where Ben leaves, the bottom falls out, and they end up 4-12 or something. And everyone will lose their minds. Can't wait.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Al true and in 2022, there are 11 guys under contract as of today. And the only one from that "big money" list is Tuitt -- also the youngest on that list. For 2021, they only have about 2 dozen players under contract and almost $90 million in cap space. So everyone keeps talking about cap space and how are they going to sign Watt, Juju, Conner, etc. They have all the cap space in the world AFTER this season. Which is also exactly when they have to start signing those good young players. It is almost like they planned it or something.

Now if they can magically find a post Ben R QB, then they are right back to the position they have been in for the past 15 years or so. A talented roster of homegrown talent with an annual chance to compete for a deep playoff run. The trouble is that it is really difficult to find that QB drafting 20+ every year. So I suspect there will be a "disaster" season sometime in the next 3 years or so where Ben leaves, the bottom falls out, and they end up 4-12 or something. And everyone will lose their minds. Can't wait.
    I wouldn't extend Conner but that's my personal opinion just because of injuries

After Ben hangs them up it could be rather dire for a while. Although with this new found defense they could be competitive and it may take longer to get said NEW franchise QB...