Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Going Forward; What You Want to See

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Going Forward; What You Want to See

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So you have constructed an entirely emotional argument/straw man based on YOUR feelings being hurt that the crappy NFL media coverage you watch and read isn't as mean to Aaron Rodgers as they are to Ben R?

As far as I can tell that is your position. Both are good QBs but Rodgers is too fawned over by idiots on TV and your angry that Ben gets crapped on by either those same idiots or other idiots somewhere else.

I spent 35 seconds on Google and found dozens of articles spread over the last several years making arguments about Rodgers "elite" status or whether or not he is properly rated. Here is one: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-quarterback/

As to the MVP thing, the QB always always wins. We could brainstorm, as a group, dozens or non QB players who had staggeringly amazing seasons that didn't win the award. I don't know but maybe, like myself, you live in the upper midwest and grow tired of the Packers homers swearing that Aaron Rodgers walks on water and can achieve world peace if only Davonte Adams could get open consistently. I get that. But, again, it seems your argument is solely that Rodgers is viewed as surpassing every QB ever. Who thinks that aside from talking heads trying to generate conversation/debate?
    Thank you for a thoughtful reply.
    I live in Toronto, Canada actually.

I just hate how the majority of people mainly the media have crowned him as a GOD without justification, it's annoying.
    That's why I've used specific examples to point out he's mortal just like the rest of them.

Ultimately give just deserts when you should but don't make it seem like one is vastly superior than the other. Especially this season with his perfect game, that was way over the top and was being crowned MVP after 1 game.
    Being from Wisconsin and a Steelers fan it has to be frustrating for yourself.

Anyway thanks again for the solid reply

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Thank you for a thoughtful reply.
    I live in Toronto, Canada actually.

I just hate how the majority of people mainly the media have crowned him as a GOD without justification, it's annoying.
    That's why I've used specific examples to point out he's mortal just like the rest of them.

Ultimately give just deserts when you should but don't make it seem like one is vastly superior than the other. Especially this season with his perfect game, that was way over the top and was being crowned MVP after 1 game.
    Being from Wisconsin and a Steelers fan it has to be frustrating for yourself.

Anyway thanks again for the solid reply
    No problem. My best suggestion is just avoid as much of the general NFL media as possible. Like all sports radio. Almost all of ESPN, NFL Network, NBC/FOX/ABC. Find places that aren't tied into a TV network with major $$$ invested in the NFL and you should find that they move their coverage past simple narratives that prioritize the "story" of specific individual star players over anything/everything else. That being said, you are just never going to find media coverage of Ben R that is as positive as other roughly comparable QBs of his era. His off-field issues and the viewpoint that he is not a "cerebral" QB took hold very early in his career and he just kinda got viewed as this big goofy country strong idiot savant that played on a good team and shockingly kept piling up stats. His career will likely be viewed better in retrospective than it is while it is ongoing.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Everyone pointed the finger of blame at Mike McCarthy for the Packers having disappointing seasons or failures in the playoffs. Rodgers got zero blame for any of it. He is an abrasive guy by most reports, he publicly threw his coach under the bus on multiple occasions, and certainly had a hand in getting McCarthy fired. He gets next to nothing in the way of criticism from anyone for any of it.

In Steelers nation, Mike Tomlin sure gets a ton of blame, but Ben certainly gets a lot of criticism.

Many have been banging on Ben for over a decade. Ben supposedly wanted an OC that he actually got along with and is a likeable human....and all we hear is the "Ben and his caddy" bullshit narrative from a significant percentage of people even at this message board.

They're all big boys, and anyone in the spotlight needs to learn to take criticism....but Aaron Rodgers has been built into some mythical football god. He plays for a well-run organization, and has had his share of talented rosters since he has been in the NFL. He hasn't produced as much as other guys when it comes to elevating his team and leading them to Super Bowls.

Rodgers- good organization, some very good rosters, 1 Super Bowl appearance.

Big Ben- good organization, some very good rosters, 3 Super Bowl appearances.

Here's a link to the playoff records of active QBs: https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-...html?type=post

It's not the be all/end all of stats....but look closely at the won/loss records and the home/away breakdown. Then put it in context with what QB's do in the regular season to get a better idea of how they perform when the chips are down compared to regular season performances.

Stats can be misleading at times. He's a great player, but he isn't the unicorn they make him out to be.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Most of the adoration for Rodgers is focused on his arm talent. I agree he might be overrated by mainstream sports media, but he’s not as bad as buddy boy paints him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    first off stats are great but they as in the NFL also hide lots from you because they fail to tell you the truth
    Rogers became overrated in 2014 when he was 'gifted' his second MVP award, how do you ask well look at what JJ Watt did that season that guy literally made the Texans relevant had I think 22 sacks scored roughly 7TDs on OFFENSE & DEFENSE yet ahhhh lets give it to A-A-Ron.
    Then last flash forward to that same seasons NFC title game in Seattle
    Packers were up 16-0 at the HALF
    they lost in OT because all anyone remembers is the muffed onside kick to send it to OT
    FACT his STELLAR defense GIFTED him 5 EXTRA possessions he did nothing with...so the reality is he fucking blew it.
    2016 against the Falcons all you heard was the entire team was on IR...BFD they were in the game and got blown out to the tune of 31-0 before he did anything and that's only because the Falcons ALLOWED it to happen.
    before I continue there's other things that have happened just these stick out
    now to this year
    he has his FiRST and ONLY perfect passer rated game in week 6 or 7 and the week after was who do you pick for MVP? the media basically was going to hand it to him right then and there like it was the greatest game ever by a QB.
    Ben has had 4...4! which is an NFL record yet crickets? how does that make sense.
    Then he goes on the road to play the 49ers where he was 20/33 for a whopping 104 yards passing...yet not his fault because he's Aaron Rodgers its everyone BUT him right?
    I'll openly admit and won't argue that he's good but is he far and away THAT much better than the rest, the answer is NO.
    He's the epitome of what overrated is.
    Which is why i want them one and done so I don't have to listen to the NFL wanks build up the fake legend they keep trying to create.
    I had a packers fan once tell me Rodgers is amazing he's got 2 MVP awards...I said yeah, that's cool but Ben has 2 SUPER BOWLS so you keep your MVPs I'll take my world titles
    Wait,
    You're basing the fact he's overrated on three games and the fact that the ownership and coaches couldn't put a team together around him?

According to your logic, Eli Manning is a better QB than Dan Marino because he has two SB titles. And, if you tell me you'd rather have Manning that Marino, I'm going to laugh my butt off. (And don't forget about Ben's great stats in his first SB. All players have down games, even big games. But he's been consistent throughout his career with only a few bad games here and there).

- - - Updated - - -

[Ben's] off-field issues and the viewpoint that he is not a "cerebral" QB took hold very early in his career and he just kinda got viewed as this big goofy country strong idiot savant that played on a good team and shockingly kept piling up stats. His career will likely be viewed better in retrospective than it is while it is ongoing.
    This struck me as funny. The Steelers organization has won six SuperBowls with big, goofy, country-strong idiot-savant types playing on a good team and shockingly piling up stats. Oh, and they were both considered drama queens! Please, God, don't let Ben come out with a country album!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Wait,
    You're basing the fact he's overrated on three games and the fact that the ownership and coaches couldn't put a team together around him?

According to your logic, Eli Manning is a better QB than Dan Marino because he has two SB titles. And, if you tell me you'd rather have Manning that Marino, I'm going to laugh my butt off. (And don't forget about Ben's great stats in his first SB. All players have down games, even big games. But he's been consistent throughout his career with only a few bad games here and there).

- - - Updated - - -

This struck me as funny. The Steelers organization has won six SuperBowls with big, goofy, country-strong idiot-savant types playing on a good team and shockingly piling up stats. Oh, and they were both considered drama queens! Please, God, don't let Ben come out with a country album!
    I didn't even realize I'd accidentally described Bradshaw as well. Too funny!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Most of the adoration for Rodgers is focused on his arm talent. I agree he might be overrated by mainstream sports media, but he’s not as bad as buddy boy paints him.

Yeah....he's a little hard on him.

We all get emotional when defending our positions at times.

Rodgers truly is an unbelievable talent. I've been on the bandwagon since he was in college because of what I was able to see him do with his arm and his legs. Some of this winning or losing in big games comes down to circumstances as well, as we've seen with Ben. Injuries, horrid play calling, coaches getting too conservative, the play of the defense.....they all play a part in the losses, as well as the wins.

Let's just say that I would have no problem if Rodgers was my quarterback. He may be the most physically talented QB to ever play the position. Yeah...he's that good. If Rodgers was my quarterback, I would be defending him and praising him just like I do with Ben. People need to appreciate what they have when they have something special, rather than wishing for something else at times. I'll roll with Ben, but if Ben's injury dictates that he never plays another down for the Steelers, and Aaron Rodgers became our quarterback...I'd be dancing around the room if we were lucky enough to be able to acquire that other guy!

I just think that sometimes it's easy to forget how hard it is to win playoff games and Super Bowls in the NFL. The team talent, the coach, the offense you play in, the home field advantage at your stadium, the division you play in, the conference you play in, the teams you come up against, and of course the QB have a lot to do with how far teams go.

Anybody that has one of these QB's on their team that gives you a chance to go all the way is a win in itself.
    Last edited by pczach; 01-11-2020 at 02:56 AM.

Member Array title="jens.karlsson.14 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Just sign Kaepernick already!! Our steel city conservatives are going to forgive him. He is right anyway... And a damn good QB that has zero problem being a semi-young back-up for a year.. He can 100% take this team on a roll (if Ben can't)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jens.karlsson.14 View Post
    Just sign Kaepernick already!! Our steel city conservatives are going to forgive him. He is right anyway... And a damn good QB that has zero problem being a semi-young back-up for a year.. He can 100% take this team on a roll (if Ben can't)

No way, no how, no thank you. Any team that signs him will instantly draw media attention and every tweet, quote, and lip-read evaluated. We've been through two years of that already. The Drama-train has left Pittsburgh and it needs to stay away.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They won't forgive him when he plays like absolute excrement

Member Array title="jens.karlsson.14 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Well that's true.. But what if he is better than garrapolo?

Skickat från min SM-T580 via Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Garoppolo went 5-0 as a starter with the same team that Kape went 1-11.

If Kape wants to play football so much he can go play in the CFL to show he can play. Oh wait he said he has no interest in going to the CFL, must be the fact it's more about having an agenda than playing football....
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Well that's true.. But what if he is better than garrapolo?

Skickat från min SM-T580 via Tapatalk
    He won't be. Average at best when he played, next time he takes a snap will be 4 years since his last snap (at 33 no less), and you are gonna put him on a team with the worst OC in the league, a badly aging OL, and no true no. 1 receiving threat. Bringing in a media circus for a guy who isn't even that good

Okay,

so far we've seen

1. No coaches fired
    2. A QB coach hired
    3. Dupree most-likely being tagged, which means
    4. We're probably losing someone like Foster as well as Barron and/or Chickillo.

Thoughts on our offseason so far? I know it's not much, but this is the time for coaching changes and we didn't get the one most of us could agree on, STs.

Okay,

so far we've seen

1. No coaches fired
    2. A QB coach hired
    4. We're probably losing someone like Foster as well as Barron and/or Chickillo.

Thoughts on our offseason so far? I know it's not much, but this is the time for coaching changes and we didn't get the one most of us could agree on, STs.
    Basically no real thoughts. Too early to really know. For instance if Dupree gets the franchise tag, then a bunch of roster moves to get cap compliant, and then gets a long term deal that lowers his cap number and allows other 2020 roster moves...great. Just a franchise tag and then no ability to make any other moves? Booooo!

For the ST's stuff...for me the question is who is making decisions about returners? Is it Tomlin? Then there isn't much any STs coach can do. Someone insisted on running Ryan Switzer out there until injury forced their hand. Then DJ and Whyte got a chance and competency broke out. Whoever that someone is is the source of the problem.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Basically no real thoughts. Too early to really know. For instance if Dupree gets the franchise tag, then a bunch of roster moves to get cap compliant, and then gets a long term deal that lowers his cap number and allows other 2020 roster moves...great. Just a franchise tag and then no ability to make any other moves? Booooo!.
    In a Post-Gazette article today in which AJRII says the Steelers will not be deterred by the “unusual experience” of how tagging Bell went in deciding whether to tag Dupree, Gerry Dulac guesses the Steelers are not going to pay for what a long term Dupree deal would cost

It is unlikely the team will try to sign Dupree, 26, to a long-term deal because that money is being earmarked for a big contract for Pro Bowl outside linebacker T.J. Watt, who has one year and an option remaining on his rookie deal. But they can still keep him around for at least one more season, maybe two, with a franchise tag.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202001210085

Given what the market rate for a long term Dupree deal would cost and not wanting to tie up in salary cap what it will cost to keep both Watt and Dupree, who does not inspire confidence his 2019 season was not an aberration, long term I agree with Dulac

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dupree be like

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    In a Post-Gazette article today in which AJRII says the Steelers will not be deterred by the “unusual experience” of how tagging Bell went in deciding whether to tag Dupree, Gerry Dulac guesses the Steelers are not going to pay for what a long term Dupree deal would cost

It is unlikely the team will try to sign Dupree, 26, to a long-term deal because that money is being earmarked for a big contract for Pro Bowl outside linebacker T.J. Watt, who has one year and an option remaining on his rookie deal. But they can still keep him around for at least one more season, maybe two, with a franchise tag.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202001210085

Given what the market rate for a long term Dupree deal would cost and not wanting to tie up in salary cap what it will cost to keep both Watt and Dupree, who does not inspire confidence his 2019 season was not an aberration, long term I agree with Dulac
    Dulac is potentially spot on in his analysis but I don't agree with it and that is perhaps my flawed opinion.

"It is unlikely the team will try to sign Dupree, 26, to a long-term deal because that money is being earmarked for a big contract for Pro Bowl outside linebacker T.J. Watt, who has one year and an option remaining on his rookie deal. But they can still keep him around for at least one more season, maybe two, with a franchise tag."

That means the money issue for Dupree/Watt is really in 2021 and beyond. Maybe even not until 2022 if the team has Watt play all the years possible under his rookie deal + option.

So if you tag Dupree for 2020 and 2021 you are (roughly) on the hook for about $32-35 million dollars total. Having Dupree's cap number at like $16 million in 2020 and $16 million + inflation in 2021 certainly does not make it any EASIER from a cap standpoint to sign Watt to an early extension prior to the expiration of his rookie deal + option. If the team is NOT signing Watt to an extension in 2020 or 2021 then the franchise tag conversation for Dupree is not really relevant from a cap standpoint. Unless, Dulac and others are worried about years 3-5 of a long term deal being so cap heavy that Watt's contract wouldn't fit. Fair enough.

BUT...if you sign Dupree. Say Franchise Tag him to buy time and then sign him to an NFL salary cap inflation updated version of this deal: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-ba...s-smith-16848/
    You are only on the cap for 25-30 million in the first two years of the deal -- thereby freeing up some 2020 and 2021 salary cap money for other purposes. Beyond that, you can play all kinds of games with the cap hits and with Ben R, Antonio B, perhaps Pouncey and Haden off the books, you certainly have some big $$$ cap hits freed up for 2022 and beyond.

They basically have no one on the roster past 2021 -- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...rs/yearly/cap/

I guess I don't see how a long term deal for Dupree, even at big cap hits in years 3-5 has much impact at all on Watt. They currently carry large cap hits for Tuitt, Heyward, and Haden simultaneously. Why in the future could they only afford one large contract on defense?

Also if you structure Dupree's deal so that after the first two years, it is basically a team option due to the dead money being in the team's favor -- should you need to get out from under Dupree's contract due to performance or the desire to pay someone else, you can. This is the contract structure that they have signed almost every single veteran to after the expiration of their rookie deals.

Long story short, should the team want to and Dupree be willing to accept the structure -- there is more than enough space to sign a 3-5 year extension at 16-18 million average value with some funny cap math baked in that makes Dupree cheaper than the franchise tag in years 1-2 of the contract and still ensures he is not a dead money albatross if cut in years 3+. The ONLY drawback is that you would have to pay him the first two years. So if he regresses from his 2019 numbers, you are paying out a bad contract. But that is the same risk you run with franchise tag and almost certainly a higher 2020 cap number than a multi-year extension.

Unless I am missing something, the ONLY risk of a multi-year Dupree extension is 2021 season. With the math I am guestimating at - the team could have a "failed" pass rusher on the roster for like $20 million in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Unless I am missing something, the ONLY risk of a multi-year Dupree extension is 2021 season. With the math I am guestimating at - the team could have a "failed" pass rusher on the roster for like $20 million in 2021.
    Good analysis but two words for what IMO is a big reason the Steelers are reluctant to back up the money truck for Dupree - Lamar Woodley

Dupree puttered around for 4 seasons and then the light went on in his contract year - it very well could go out again once he gets paid

Maybe see if Dupree puts two good seasons together and then, depending on what the new CBA that kicks in for 2021 and TV rights (Jerry Jones is looking for a minimum 50% increase in the value of TV rights) does to the salary cap (along with multiple tags of a player) consider if they want to pay both TJ and Dupree

If the Texans were reluctant to pay an often underperforming Clowney I get why the Steelers may be gun shy about Dupree

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Good analysis but two words for what IMO is a big reason the Steelers are reluctant to back up the money truck for Dupree - Lamar Woodley

Dupree puttered around for 4 seasons and then the light went on in his contract year - it very well could go out again once he gets paid

Maybe see if Dupree puts two good seasons together and then, depending on what the new CBA that kicks in for 2021 and TV rights (Jerry Jones is looking for a minimum 50% increase in the value of TV rights) does to the salary cap (along with multiple tags of a player) consider if they want to pay both TJ and Dupree

If the Texans were reluctant to pay an often underperforming Clowney I get why the Steelers may be gun shy about Dupree
    Yeah. I totally get why the team would not be sold on doing it for performance based criteria. I'm just not sold that the cap dollars are really any barrier. Even with an extension for Watt and Juju on the horizon.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Only if AB and Bell can be brought back with him.

seriously, all we need is Ben back healthy, a tweaking of the OL, a good TE and RB in the draft and we’re set. I wouldn’t even mind Rudolph and LJ backing up Ben with Canada as the QB coach

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Only if AB and Bell can be brought back with him.

seriously, all we need is Ben back healthy, a tweaking of the OL, a good TE and RB in the draft and we’re set. I wouldn’t even mind Rudolph and LJ backing up Ben with Canada as the QB coach
    Yeah man when Pouncey gon start wearing his "Free AB" hat? Maybe hes waiting for the guy to go on a shooting rampage before he does that

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah man when Pouncey gon start wearing his "Free AB" hat? Maybe hes waiting for the guy to go on a shooting rampage before he does that
    Lol, wasn’t AB wearing his ‘free Pouncey’ shirt after the Cleveland game? Or was that just a tweet?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Okay,

so far we've seen

1. No coaches fired
    2. A QB coach hired

Danny Smith is still here...because?
    Necessary move, hope Canada is a good coach.
    Must tag Dupree. No long term contract...too skeptical. Prove it.
    Losing Foster and Chickillo is addition by subtraction.
    Barron...meh.

Okay,

so far we've seen

1. No coaches fired
    2. A QB coach hired

1. Once again Art Rooney continues to be the poster boy of the definition of insanity and keep incompetent coaches thinking somehow things will be magically different. Is Danny Smith blackmailing Art? Why does he still have a job. Sean Sarrett should have been fired. He promptly turned an offensive line with 3 pro bowlers into a bottom tier unit, one year is not too soon. Also I don't care if Randy Fichtner is Ben's best buddy and firing him would irk Ben, Fichtner needs to be gone. There's a distinct possibility Ben gets injured again or is never the same QB, instead of being 100% reliant on Ben's elite abilities, Fichtner will have to actually be an NFL OC which he clearly cannot do. I don't want to see that again.
    2. Bout time, a year or 2 overdue. I was calling for a real QBs coach to actually help the young QBs, and glad it happened
    3. The tag will be expensive and Dupree will be paid more than he's worth, but it's better than a long term contract.
    4. Foster is done, Chickillo I am fine with cutting. I have no idea what they were thinking when they thought it was worth it to pay him $4 million a year to do nothing. Barron provides ok depth but he is being paid more than he's worth

Overall a mixed bag.

So, rather than starting new threads, I'll just keep bumping this one as new things develop around Pittsburgh concerning coaches, FAs, and drafting.

Are we happy with the new WR coach? Is he enough of a change from what we had before? More importantly, do we want that much of a change since we had a great run with WRs until our coach passed last year?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Create cap space, preserve the defense with draft picks. Cut expensive veterans. Prepare for life without Ben. If he comes back to where he was, the team will be 10-6. The Chiefs and Ravens are still way ahead of us. As long as Brady is playing, New England is too. The win now mode has come and gone. Maybe if we had better coaching which includes player development things could have been different in the past 5 years.

So all the information is publicly available. Who you cutting for cap reasons? Once you carve out cap space, what are you doing with it? No point in just having it. Cap space doesn't play on Sundays.

If you want cap space and to preserve the defense, your in a bit of a bind. All the cap money is on that side of the ball.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

So all the information is publicly available. Who you cutting for cap reasons? Once you carve out cap space, what are you doing with it? No point in just having it. Cap space doesn't play on Sundays.

If you want cap space and to preserve the defense, your in a bit of a bind. All the cap money is on that side of the ball.
    Aren't all the rumors saying the Steelers are cutting the following:
    Barron
    Chickillo
    ahhhh brain fart on the last one but those 2 I've seen lots of