Thread: What's the most miserable football game you ever remember watching?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

What's the most miserable football game you ever remember watching?

By this I don't mean the most heartbreaking loss or the biggest blowout, but instead the least entertaining, completely un-fun game you've ever watched all the way through.

Of course, there are many contenders, but for me this one is forever stuck in my memory as the standard:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0410310chi.htm

This was in 2004, when the 49ers and Bears were at the height of their crappiness, and really just a great example of the dullest possible game between two teams who completely sucked at football and couldn't do anything right. A close game, but completely un-exciting as both teams just bumbled their way for a few yards here and there to trade field goals, and for the whole game it was clear neither offense was going to do shit. I was only watching it because I had bet on the under, which was 35.5 points and looking like a good bet. As an added kick in the nuts, the Bears scored a 70-yard defensive touchdown at the end of the game to make it 36 points and cost me $20. I don't know if I've ever seen two more incompetent teams play each other in my life.

The same two teams actually played what was objectively an even worse game the next year, but the Bears were actually a decent team then, so it didn't have quite the same low-stakes undertone:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0511130chi.htm

Some of the stat lines though, holy shit: Cody Pickett, 1-for-13 passing for 28 yards (49ers one completed pass all game)! Kevan Barlow, 25 rushes for 63 yards. Kyle Orton, 8-of-13 for 67 yards, a combined total of 95 passing yards for both teams. Eight fumbles, 12 punts. Combined 6-for-29 on third down. 49ers with more yards punting than total offense, by a wide margin.

I sometimes get these two games confused with each other, but I remember the first one being a night game, and that for some reason, it was just the most flat-out un-entertaining thing to watch. It was close, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: What's the most miserable football game you ever remember watching?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    By this I don't mean the most heartbreaking loss or the biggest blowout, but instead the least entertaining, completely un-fun game you've ever watched all the way through.

Of course, there are many contenders, but for me this one is forever stuck in my memory as the standard:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0410310chi.htm

This was in 2004, when the 49ers and Bears were at the height of their crappiness, and really just a great example of the dullest possible game between two teams who completely sucked at football and couldn't do anything right. A close game, but completely un-exciting as both teams just bumbled their way for a few yards here and there to trade field goals, and for the whole game it was clear neither offense was going to do shit. I was only watching it because I had bet on the under, which was 35.5 points and looking like a good bet. As an added kick in the nuts, the Bears scored a 70-yard defensive touchdown at the end of the game to make it 36 points and cost me $20. I don't know if I've ever seen two more incompetent teams play each other in my life.

The same two teams actually played what was objectively an even worse game the next year, but the Bears were actually a decent team then, so it didn't have quite the same low-stakes undertone:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0511130chi.htm

Some of the stat lines though, holy shit: Cody Pickett, 1-for-13 passing for 28 yards (49ers one completed pass all game)! Kevan Barlow, 25 rushes for 63 yards. Kyle Orton, 8-of-13 for 67 yards, a combined total of 95 passing yards for both teams. Eight fumbles, 12 punts. Combined 6-for-29 on third down. 49ers with more yards punting than total offense, by a wide margin.

I sometimes get these two games confused with each other, but I remember the first one being a night game, and that for some reason, it was just the most flat-out un-entertaining thing to watch. It was close, though.
    I gotta look that up on YouTube. Damn . If you're not a Steelers fan the mud bowl with Miami has to up there in crappy games to watch

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Any of the Thursday Night Titans/Jaguars games in the past 5 seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Any of the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers games. They were awful

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

1990 Steelers vs Saints. Final score was 6-3, Gary Anderson beat Morten Andersen. Brister passed for 150 yards and an INT. Saints QB completed 40% and had under 100 yards passing. It was an absolute shit show lol.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    1990 Steelers vs Saints. Final score was 6-3, Gary Anderson beat Morten Andersen. Brister passed for 150 yards and an INT. Saints QB completed 40% and had under 100 yards passing. It was an absolute shit show lol.
    Oh I need to look that one up.

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Oh I need to look that one up.

Here you go lol: http://steelcurtainrising.com/2018/1...ttsburgh.html/
    1990 – Joe Walton’s Ineptitude on Full Display in Steelers win

December 16, 1990 @ The Superdome
    Pittsburgh 9, New Orleans 6

The 1990 Steelers entered the game with a 7-6 record and an an offense floundering under Joe Walton’s mismanagement. And this game shows just how badly Joe Walton had neutered the 1990 Steelers offense, as a single Gary Anderson field goal were the only points it could score for 3 quarters.

Bubby Brister only threw for 154 yards passing, while Merril Hoge and Tim Worley couldn’t combine to break the 100 yard rushing mark. For its part, the Steelers defense held the Saints to two Morten Andersen second half field goals, until Gary Anderson booted two more 4th quarter field goals to give the Steelers the win.

The 1990 Steelers went 9-7 yet only won two games against teams that finished with winning records. This was one of them.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Without thinking too hard on the subject, the mud bowl against Miami in Heinz Field where the rain/field were so bad the ball stuck in the mud.

follow up would be any Lions/Cowboys Thanksgiving day games
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Rossum oh boy the was a solid signing

Merry Christmas