Thread: Jags reportedly to let Doug Marrone go

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Jags reportedly to let Doug Marrone go

Just a thought out there that if Marrone is let go by the Jags, would he consider going back to O line coach or OC?

Marrone was Saints OC from 06-08 and Bills O line coach. I think the Steelers are gonna give Fichtner and Sarret a pass, plus when Ben comes back he would prefer to have his caddy than a new OC that worked with Sean Payton and Drew Brees. But just a thought that a talented and experienced coach in places the Steelers could upgrade is gonna be available.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Jags reportedly to let Doug Marrone go

They’re definitely getting a free pass...which sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’re definitely getting a free pass...which sucks...
    Agreed - once Ben was lost anything that went sour on offense could with some justification be blamed on Ben not being around to fix it

Such are the hazards of promoting internally and having an aging QB dictate the crucial OC hiring decision that relied on that QB being available to run the offense

OTOH Tomlin went outside to hire Austin and Dunbar with the defense stepping up

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Players hate him. Went under .500 with a pretty loaded roster.

Sounds like an AWESOME hire. Can't wait to see him lead the Case Keenum led offense to the promised land for the 2020 Steelers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Sounds like an AWESOME hire. Can't wait to see him lead the Case Keenum led offense to the promised land for the 2020 Steelers.

Not certain how much of that hatred was due to Coughlin calling the shots and treating players like Lombardi and Paul Brown did back in the days of rotary telephones

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Worth hiring somewhere. Would be an upgrade over both.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Not certain how much of that hatred was due to Coughlin calling the shots and treating players like Lombardi and Paul Brown did back in the days of rotary telephones
    Maybe so. I just read a couple summary blurbs this afternoon that said his players didn't like him and his approach was in lockstep with Coughlins nonsense.

Either way, the silly season is already starting around here. So far we have Doug Marrone running the Case Keenum led offense under Urban Meyer.

Not sure I can take 9 more months of this.

If we are going to imaginary fire coaches, let's at least imagine some one far far more successful than Marrone.

Let's at least make an argument that Mike Gundy comes to the NFL and runs a Big 12 style salvage operation on Mason Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

"His players like him," Jaguars center Stefen Wisniewski said. "He's a grinder. He always puts the work in. He's smart. We know we can trust him. When guys see that, they'll go to battle for a guy."Here, Marrone doesn't have to score personality points. He's burrowed into his hole, coaching his linemen. He just needs success. He's no longer thinking about the players who bashed him after his departure.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/doug-marrone-man-left-buffalo/story?id=34

Marrone has been described as old school and compared to the personality of Parcells, so not everybody is gonna like him. But I think the fact he played O line in the NFL, World League and has successfully coached O lines could make him more respected than a guy like Sarrett, who played at Kent State and assisted Munchak as his most notable points on his resume.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Reminds me when someone wanted to trade Ben a few seasons ago and bring in Mark Sanchez because he was cheaper...lol.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Either way, the silly season is already starting around here. So far we have Doug Marrone running the Case Keenum led offense under Urban Meyer.

Not sure I can take 9 more months of this.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There's likely to be a few HC's that are canned and available as OC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    "His players like him," Jaguars center Stefen Wisniewski said. "He's a grinder. He always puts the work in. He's smart. We know we can trust him. When guys see that, they'll go to battle for a guy."Here, Marrone doesn't have to score personality points. He's burrowed into his hole, coaching his linemen. He just needs success. He's no longer thinking about the players who bashed him after his departure.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/doug-marrone-man-left-buffalo/story?id=34

Marrone has been described as old school and compared to the personality of Parcells, so not everybody is gonna like him. But I think the fact he played O line in the NFL, World League and has successfully coached O lines could make him more respected than a guy like Sarrett, who played at Kent State and assisted Munchak as his most notable points on his resume.

Odd. Saw the exact opposite reported. You make some solid points for his o line roll.

Odd. Saw the exact opposite reported. You make some solid points for his o line roll.

Kyle Orton loved playing for Marrone, no nonsense guy that didn't care for all the media commitments either. Marcel Dareus supposedly didn't like playing for Marrone as he thought he talked down to guys and treated them like kids. A Buffalo sports reporter told a story of how Marrone once stuck his head in the media room where a few reporters were gathered and waiting for availability later in the day and asked "you guys got anything to eat in here?" and when they didn't, some pizzas showed up later on.

So Marrone as a Head Coach is apparently a guy that is always on edge, can be demanding of players, doesn't like the media commitments and would rather just go to work and grind. As a position coach or coordinator I think that is perfect and maybe he isn't cut out to be an NFL Head coach. He has a history and friendship with Bill O Brien, so maybe he ends up with the Texans anyways in the offseason. I think he would be a big upgrade as a Steelers O line coach, but something tells me Sarrett gets more time to prove himself than 1 season.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Kyle Orton loved playing for Marrone, no nonsense guy that didn't care for all the media commitments either. Marcel Dareus supposedly didn't like playing for Marrone as he thought he talked down to guys and treated them like kids. A Buffalo sports reporter told a story of how Marrone once stuck his head in the media room where a few reporters were gathered and waiting for availability later in the day and asked "you guys got anything to eat in here?" and when they didn't, some pizzas showed up later on.

So Marrone as a Head Coach is apparently a guy that is always on edge, can be demanding of players, doesn't like the media commitments and would rather just go to work and grind. As a position coach or coordinator I think that is perfect and maybe he isn't cut out to be an NFL Head coach. He has a history and friendship with Bill O Brien, so maybe he ends up with the Texans anyways in the offseason. I think he would be a big upgrade as a Steelers O line coach, but something tells me Sarrett gets more time to prove himself than 1 season.
    Agreed lots of guys don't cut it at the top job but are great coordinators

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

My guess is everyone gets a pass based on Ben's injury including the gum chewing one. Damn!

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    My guess is everyone gets a pass based on Ben's injury including the gum chewing one. Damn!

Agreed. As soon as Ben went down, the whole staff made a sigh of relief...lol.