Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TJ Watt appreciation thread

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: TJ Watt appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    How incredible is JJ Watt??? He's not as dominant as he used to be, and he gets injured more often.....but he still beats everyone else in defeating 2 blockers or more by a mile! Wow!
    It reminds me of a similar graphic, showing the number of sacks by players in their first three seasons. (It was highlighting TJ.) It looked something like this:

TJ Watt: 34
    Good player: 35
    Another good player: 35
    JJ Watt: 36.5
    HOF player: 37
    Another HOF player: 38
    Reggie White: 52

SUMMATION:
    JJ stands out. Not as much as Reggie, but he stands out nonetheless.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It reminds me of a similar graphic, showing the number of sacks by players in their first three seasons. (It was highlighting TJ.) It looked something like this:

TJ Watt: 34
    Good player: 35
    Another good player: 35
    JJ Watt: 36.5
    HOF player: 37
    Another HOF player: 38
    Reggie White: 52

SUMMATION:
    JJ stands out. Not as much as Reggie, but he stands out nonetheless.

Reggie only rushed the passer. He was obviously great at it with his unmatched strength and great first step. On the Top 100 show, they showed the highlight of Reggie coming inside against the Cowboys and with just his right arm take Larry Allen off of his feet like he was a boy! Larry Freaking Allen! Nothing tells you more about how dominant Reggie was on the field than that play!

I know it's horrible quality, but here is the play I'm referring to.

JJ is capable of much more athletic plays on the field than White. That doesn't necessarily make him better...it just makes them different.

All I know is, there are a lot of great players, but even in that world.....there are some guys that are just different.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Reggie only rushed the passer. He was obviously great at it with his unmatched strength and great first step. On the Top 100 show, they showed the highlight of Reggie coming inside against the Cowboys and with just his right arm take Larry Allen off of his feet like he was a boy! Larry Freaking Allen! Nothing tells you more about how dominant Reggie was on the field than that play!

I know it's horrible quality, but here is the play I'm referring to.

JJ is capable of much more athletic plays on the field than White. That doesn't necessarily make him better...it just makes them different.

All I know is, there are a lot of great players, but even in that world.....there are some guys that are just different.
    I was more referring to the charts... how JJ topped that chart by a mile (and Reggie topping his chart was even more disproportionate). JJ is more likely to get INTs and make other plays all over the field.

As far as Reggie’s pass rush skills go, most edge players need at least two different type of pass rushes, so that when one gets stopped, they can use another. Well, I saw a thing on ESPN (two decades ago) detailing Reggie’s nine (NINE!!!) different pass rush moves.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

TJ made the all-pro team as both edge rusher (1st team) and linebacker (2nd team) he's so damn good. TJ has blossomed into a franchise cornerstone and an elite defensive playmaker.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

TJ Watt appreciation thread

Spoiler Alert:::::

M

Gilmore won DPOY.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

So they give to Gilmore on the strength of the Patriots defense shutting down a bunch of god awful offenses instead of giving it to Watt, what a joke. This was just to gratify Bellichick and all the media people complaining about not enough defensive backs winning DPOY

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It’s just gonna make TJ hungrier in 2020. Watch out!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I think the team's 3-game skid to end the season and missing the postseason killed Watt's chances for DPOY. Not exactly fair, but it is what it is.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I think the team's 3-game skid to end the season and missing the postseason killed Watt's chances for DPOY. Not exactly fair, but it is what it is.
    I feel the same way. I believe if the Steelers were in the playoffs, this result might've been different.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Thing is, Gilmore wasn’t even the second best player...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Did TJ get any votes? I tried to find but couldn’t.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Did TJ get any votes? I tried to find but couldn’t.
    New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named AP Defensive Player of the Year during Saturday's NFL Honors in downtown Miami.

Gilmore took home the hardware with 21 votes, ahead of second-place Chandler Jones, as the Cardinals defensive end tallied 14 votes. Steelers edge rusher T.J. Watt was third with 10 votes, followed by Buccaneers linebacker Shaq Barrett (two votes). Vikings edge Danielle Hunter, Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White and Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald had single votes.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...player-of-year

TJ was the more impactful player. He was one of the main reasons the team was still in the playoff race in week 17