Thread: Bulletin Board Material--Motivation

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bulletin Board Material--Motivation

So... this subject has always intrigued me. Bulletin board material from the opposing team. There's two schools of thought: 1) It adds extra motivation to the opposing team; 2) It makes no difference because you don't have to motivate professionals. Here's my take: position 2 is the one you hear most analysts take, as well as general fans on forums such as this. However, position 1 is what you hear from most professional athletes themselves. I think the actual athletes are the best ones to decide if it makes a difference.

So, do you think?

A. There is an extra gear of motivation that can be psychologically provoked to reach.

B. Playing in an important game is enough, thus there is no additional motivation to tap.

I'm a believer in position A.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Bulletin Board Material--Motivation

Position A - why? Professionals are still human beings at the core of it all. From personal experience, yeah winning games was always 'important' even in high stakes, but if i had a reason to hate the other team / whoever was lined up across from me, i would try harder to win. It's that extra +10% and sometimes that could make a difference

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The story for the 74 Steelers, on the verge of a dynasty, was Coach Noll never said rah rah speeches except one time. The Raiders-Dolphins played the Sea of Hands divisional playoff game and Madden said that the 2 best teams (Raiders-Dolphins) were on the field that day and that was the real Super Bowl

Noll proceeded to say to his team that Madden was wrong and the young Steelers were the best team in the league. They proceeded to kick the Raiders' ass AT OAKLAND for the AFCC game.

Mean Joe said he rose up out of his chair and the whole lockerroom rose up and cheered after Noll made that statement.

The only other time I can think of for the Steelers was Bettis' speech to get him to Detroit for the Super Bowl.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So... this subject has always intrigued me. Bulletin board material from the opposing team. There's two schools of thought: 1) It adds extra motivation to the opposing team; 2) It makes no difference because you don't have to motivate professionals. Here's my take: position 2 is the one you hear most analysts take, as well as general fans on forums such as this. However, position 1 is what you hear from most professional athletes themselves. I think the actual athletes are the best ones to decide if it makes a difference.

So, do you think?

A. There is an extra gear of motivation that can be psychologically provoked to reach.

B. Playing in an important game is enough, thus there is no additional motivation to tap.

I'm a believer in position A.
    I think BB material changes how players feel about the game, but it's not necessarily a good thing. Some may play better when angry, others may become distracted.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Big believer in position A...if the teams are somewhat comparable in talent.

On the other hand, if there’s a big difference in talent levels it won’t make much of a difference IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I will just put this out here. In SB X when Gerela missed his 2nd FG from the 33 a guy named Cliff Harris for the cowboys thought it would be a good idea to pat Gerela on the head and thank him for helping the cowbosy cause. Lambert took an exception to this and slammed Harris to the ground. After arguing his case to the official to stay in the game, Jack's legs started pumping as he became even more focused on the game. The Steelers were down at that point 10-7, but it was the turning point of the game.

I know it's not bulletin board material, but if those actions by another team can motivate so can things such as bulletin board material.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bulletin Board material works on every level. It’s that little extra motivation...look no further than these “Terrible Towel Curses”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I think 'A'... A player should always have the motivation to defeat the opposing team, for that's the reason in PLAYING the game, but we all know that some player's just go through the motion at times and need alittle boot in the butt to fire the desire.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

An example last night that athletes will use bulletin board material along with any other perceived or real slight as motivation