Thread: Jaguars fire Tom Coughlin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Jaguars fire Tom Coughlin

Tom Coughlin is out as the head of the Jacksonville Jaguars’ front office

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-tom-coughlin/

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Jaguars fire Tom Coughlin

Smart move - NFLPA was warning free agents to stay away due to Coughlin’s propensity for imposing fines, which were the subject of a grievance the NFLPA won.

Surprised the NFLPA went public on telling players to stay away, but Jags owner correctly decided to blow it up since HC candidates probably want no part of answering to a fossil like Coughlin

Maybe the rumor will start that the Jags owner wants to trade the first round pick they got in the Ramsey trade to bring in Tomlin to oversee football ops

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Smart move - NFLPA was warning free agents to stay away due to Coughlin’s propensity for imposing fines, which were the subject of a grievance the NFLPA won.
    Yep 25% of all of the grievances filed were against the Jaguars.

Putting that in perspective, the average would be 3%. Even if it was double the average, that’s just 6%. So... 25% Again, the Jaguars had a quarter of all of the grievances filed.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Tom Coughlin always treated his players like it was the 50’s.

I knew people in NJ who knew him well when he was coaching the Giants. They described him as a total douche...to everyone.

He acted like he was General Patton.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Tom Coughlin always treated his players like it was the 50’s.

I knew people in NJ who knew him well when he was coaching the Giants. They described him as a total douche...to everyone.

He acted like he was General Patton.
    He’s got more Super Bowl wins than Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I thought Coughlin was a good coach, but in today's NFL the cry baby players can't accept the discipline that he coaches with.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The guy knows football, no doubt about that, but his methods don’t fly unless his players buy in unconditionally.
    Good luck with that happening in today’s climate.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Equal number of Super Bowl appearances as Tomlin over a 21 year career as HC, after throwing out his first year when Jax was an expansion team 7 out of 20 seasons with a losing record, and a 1999 AFC championship game home loss to the Titans that is as bad a playoff loss as anything Tomlin has ever dialed up

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/jax/1999.htm

I will always be grateful to Coughlin for the Giants beating the 2007 and 2011 Pats but I will take Tomlin anytime even leaving the personalities aside (which of course is immaterial to success as a head coach - Belichick is a cheater and curmudgeon along with being the greatest NFL HC of all time)

My lasting memory of Coughlin is when the Giants beat the Packers in frigid conditions at Lambeau in the playoffs and his face was so red I thought it was going to break

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Coughlin coached BC hangs on to beat Holtz coached No. 1 Notre Dame. This was a great game.