Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers playoff chances

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Steelers playoff chances

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’m going to say it in every thread...

The playoff-bound Bills needed 4 INTs and two awful punts yo eke our a victory. If two of those six “un-splash” plays go differently, we have a minimum of two more FGs.

Yes, I know that that is still a loss, but you get my point: we can hang with anyone... as long as (to quote Tomlin) the offense doesn’t kill us.

Lately, it's been as long as the coaching and punter don't kill us too. Here we are playing a bad team that the Steelers have historically owned 20-5. A must-win game to make the playoffs. Our playoffs start now.

A loss, and Art Rooney II need to re-think this team's future. The EPIC collapse of 2018 still stings the fans. I'm not asking for a trip to the super bowl, just beating a bad team to get to the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So call it 50-50 to get in. Who in the world thinks they knock of KC at home? I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic and I get that you have to make it first and then anything can happen. All true and all reasonable...but c'mon. The 2019 Steelers have not yet beaten a playoff team. Then on wildcard weekend they are suddenly going to be a functional contender?

Someone needs to help me get over the hump and stop being a playoff grinch here. I just haven't seen anything on offense all season to be like "Yeah. They can put 20-24 on a playoff caliber team and then let the defense do the rest. Here we go!"

I will root and cheer with full allegiance as long as they are playing games, but while this team is fun to watch...I just can't get to the mode where I believe.
    ::Teegre raises his hand::

The Steelers haven’t beaten a playoff team, but they were a fumble (in each game) away from beating both of the #1 seeds.

SUMMATION:
    The Steelers can hang with anybody.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Today pretty much ended their hopes.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Odds just dropped from 50/50 to "negligible".
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Id say zero now, fuck this team. Seriously, they always just give me enough hope to get excited and lay an egg like this

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers playoff chances

We need Houston to beat the Titans, the Colts to beat the Jags and of course we need to beat the Ravens. 1 of those things is likely to happen (Colts over the Jags). I assume Houston is going to rest their starters and the Titans have something to play for. And with our Off laying egg after egg it is doubtful we can beat the Ravens second stringers.

Don’t get me wrong, I am more than happy how this season turned out considering all that has happened, but we just can’t seem to get out of our own way on offense nor stay healthy.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    We need Houston to beat the Titans, the Colts to beat the Jags and of course we need to beat the Ravens. 1 of those things is likely to happen (Colts over the Jags). I assume Houston is going to rest their starters and the Titans have something to play for. And with our Off laying egg after egg it is doubtful we can beat the Ravens second stringers.

Don’t get me wrong, I am more than happy how this season turned out considering all that has happened, but we just can’t seem to get out of our own way on offense nor stay healthy.
    I put win for us and loss of Titans in playoff machine and it showed steelers regardless of Colts game. Not sure why that game would matter except for wins against like teams , too lazy and uninterested to check.Doesn't matter anyway. No way we beat Ravens.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The Colts are officially out of it so what they do against the Jags is pointless. We just need to win and have a Titans loss. That's the only way to get in.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    The Colts are officially out of it so what they do against the Jags is pointless. We just need to win and have a Titans loss. That's the only way to get in.
    The makings of a weekend I'm not looking forward to. We have a championship defense and a last place offense. It usually doesn't work out when you have to count on other teams to lose. Well... at least Tomlin kept his non-losing streak alive!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Waiting for someone to post the Jim Mora video!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

The strategy is simple: "They need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games".
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    As I understand it, the Colts could climb to 8-8. If we lose and the Titans lose, then it's a 3 way tie for 8-8. In that scenario, we win the tiebreaker.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    As I understand it, the Colts could climb to 8-8. If we lose and the Titans lose, then it's a 3 way tie for 8-8. In that scenario, we win the tiebreaker.
    you are correct per the playoff machine. probably the best chance IMO

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    you are correct per the playoff machine. probably the best chance IMO
    Even more confusion: The Raiders also have a path to 8-8, which means there could be a 4 way tie. In that scenario, the 6 seed goes to...

The Raiders.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Whoever is the 3rd seed is probably praying the Steelers make the 6th seed. I certainly would rather play them than the titans

this team really just looks like what they are, a bad team that managed to eke out some lucky wins riding the defense

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

We get in at 8-8 if the Titans lose @HOU and the Colts win @JAX, plus the Raiders have to lose either @LAC or @DEN.

If we beat the Ravens we only need the Titans to lose @HOU.

Houston owns the tiebreaker over KC meaning that going into week 17 both are playing for the 3rd seed (instead of the 4th), and from most other team's perspectives the 6th seed (us or TEN or theoretically even OAK) should be way easier to defeat than Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    We get in at 8-8 if the Titans lose @HOU and the Colts win @JAX, plus the Raiders have to lose either @LAC or @DEN.

If we beat the Ravens we only need the Titans to lose @HOU.

Houston owns the tiebreaker over KC meaning that going into week 17 both are playing for the 3rd seed (instead of the 4th), and from most other team's perspectives the 6th seed (us or TEN or theoretically even OAK) should be way easier to defeat than Buffalo.
    I would expect the Ravens to play us hard and the Texans to play the Titans hard. You don't want a division opponent in the playoffs if you can help it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Even more confusion: The Raiders also have a path to 8-8, which means there could be a 4 way tie. In that scenario, the 6 seed goes to...

The Raiders.
    I’m just counting on them not to make it. If if’s were fifths we’d all be drunk (some of you are).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’m just counting on them not to make it. If if’s were fifths we’d all be drunk (some of you are).

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I would expect the Ravens to play us hard and the Texans to play the Titans hard. You don't want a division opponent in the playoffs if you can help it.
    I don't expect the Ravens to play with all of their starters. They have the No.1 seed secured, so it would be nuts to send Jackson out against our D. If I were Harbaugh, I wouldn't be scared a bit by the possibility of us visiting them again in the Divisional round.

The Texans on the other hand still can improve their seed in order to avoid facing the Bills in the Wildcard round.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I don't expect the Ravens to play with all of their starters. They have the No.1 seed secured, so it would be nuts to send Jackson out against our D. If I were Harbaugh, I wouldn't be scared a bit by the possibility of us visiting them again in the Divisional round.

The Texans on the other hand still can improve their seed in order to avoid facing the Bills in the Wildcard round.
    I think they will be sitting Mark Ingram and he maybe done for the year. I don't expect them to play LJ more then a quarter.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This, this... this, this, this!!!

The Chiefs and Texans can still get the #2 seed. Similarly, they both would 100% prefer to be the #3 seed as opposed to the #4 seed, because the #4 seed would play the Bills.

SUMMATION:
    The Texans will play hard against the Titans (which helps the Steelers).

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The Chiefs and Texans can still get the #2 seed. Similarly, they both would 100% prefer to be the #3 seed as opposed to the #4 seed, because the #4 seed would play the Bills.

SUMMATION:
    We need the Raiders to lose and the Colts to win if I read all these scenarios correctly.

I won't bust a blood vessel (ok maybe I will) but I'm not holding my breath that this all plays out well.

Colts, Raiders, Titans/Texans, Steelers/Ravens are all 4:25 games. Guess I will be drunk by 4 because I won't give a crap about the 1 pm games

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

It really does not matter the offense can only score one TD a game and, even if they do get in I don't think they score enough points to win. I still watch this week at the ravens but, even against the back ups can they score enough?

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    It really does not matter the offense can only score one TD a game and, even if they do get in I don't think they score enough points to win. I still watch this week at the ravens but, even against the back ups can they score enough?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post

this team really just looks like what they are, a bad team that managed to eke out some lucky wins riding the defense
    True, the Steelers only win against a team that has a better than .500 record is the win over the 8-7 Rams.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Remember when Ben threw 5 TDs in a playoff game? A game when AB had 2 TDs, Martavis Bryant 1 TD, JuJu 1 TD, Le’Veon Bell 2 TDs. Imagine that kind of offense with this defense?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    Titans-Texans flexed to late afternoon start but Pats and Chiefs games stay at early afternoon kickoff

Unless early games go to OT Texans will know before kickoff if a win helps their seeding

If Steelers had won 2 of their last 3 they were in - props to them for keeping a wrecked offense in the playoff hunt until the end

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yeah...that’s a bad move by the NFL to give the Texans a “heads up” like that.

Titans rested up Henry yesterday too...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler