Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terrell Edmunds Becoming Ryan Clark 2.0?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Terrell Edmunds Becoming Ryan Clark 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Edmunds tied with 3 other players for 35th overall. Here's by beef Hawkman, too many of those tackles were from letting his man get open and hitting them after they caught the pass. I'd like to see a break down of how many of those tackles were vs the pass. Edmunds might lead ALL NFL players on tackles vs the pass, and that's not a good thing for a DB. If Bush played a bit more, he'd lead the team in tackles and unlike Edmunds he makes lots of splash plays.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go
    Did you bother to read Mojouw’s original link? If not this post isn’t going to matter much. Keep in mind football is a team sport and our defense played very well as a unit. Let’s go back to the original title of this thread as it pertains to Ryan Clark. In his first four season in the NFL, as far as splash plays, he had 3 Ints, 1 FF, and 1 1/2 sacks, impressive!? For his thirteen
    year career he had 16 Ints, 4 FFs, and 4 sacks and never had as many single season combined tackles as Edmunds did this year. How many of those were after the catch I don’t know and I don’t care. But I’m really glad Clark played with us for eight years and I’m willing to see what kind of player Edmunds turns out to be in the next two years. And that’s all the input I have on that subject. Just like Tomlin, Edmunds isn’t going anywhere next year and he will be starting.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So I looked into the 70% completions and came up with some random comparisons:

Edmunds 72.5% on 51 targets

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick - 4 more completions and he would have hit 70+% (60% for season across two teams)
    2. Devin McCourty - almost the exact same stats as MFF (eerily similar) so, again, 4 passes

Could argue that both of those guys are FS, so I looked specifically for a few random players that were specifically listed by their teams as SS:

1. Shawn Williams (Cincinnatti) - 78.4% on 51 targets
    2. Chuck Clark (Baltimore) - 62.9% on 35 targets (about 5 more completions to get to 73%)
    3. Vaccaro (Titans) - 71.7% on 53 targets
    4. Mathieu (Chiefs) - 56.3% on 80 targets (13 more completions to get to same %)
    5. Savage (Green Bay) - 56.7% on 30 targets (5 more completions to get to about same %)
    6. Smith (Vikings) - 63.6% on 33 targets (2-3 more completions to get to around same %) -- went to Pro Bowl FWIW
    7. Bell (Saints) - 68.6% on 51 targets (1-2 more completions to get to around the same%)

And for fun, let's take a look at the gold standard - Jamal Adams (Jets) - 55.3% on 38 targets (6 more completions)

I think the #'s look kinda funky for targets on Mathieu - 80 targets is a phenomenal amount for a safety (either strong or free) to face. I don't, know enough about KC's alignments to explain it. But, if we throw that out as an outlier, we are talking about somewhere between 1-5 less passes completed over a 16 game season to drop Edmunds down to a Pro Bowl or even All-Pro completion percentage.

I think the turnovers, or the total lack of turnovers, is more of the trouble the amount of passes completed. The question is if whether or not Edmunds can add "ball skills" to his game in Year 3? No idea...

Say in 2020, Edmunds has the exact same season BUT he adds 1 INT, and 4 more passes defensed. That drops his completion percentage to 63%. Still doesn't bring up his tackles for loss and pass rush pressure...but that isn't what he is being asked to do.

My point? Edmunds did not have the best 2019. But he is about 5 plays away from having a pretty good season for a SS compared to other SS across the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Did you bother to read Mojouw’s original link? If not this post isn’t going to matter much. Keep in mind football is a team sport and our defense played very well as a unit. Let’s go back to the original title of this thread as it pertains to Ryan Clark. In his first four season in the NFL, as far as splash plays, he had 3 Ints, 1 FF, and 1 1/2 sacks, impressive!? For his thirteen
    year career he had 16 Ints, 4 FFs, and 4 sacks and never had as many single season combined tackles as Edmunds did this year. How many of those were after the catch I don’t know and I don’t care. But I’m really glad Clark played with us for eight years and I’m willing to see what kind of player Edmunds turns out to be in the next two years. And that’s all the input I have on that subject. Just like Tomlin, Edmunds isn’t going anywhere next year and he will be starting.
    If you look at their stats both yearly and per game, Clark and Edmunds are very similar. I can not find the completion percentage data for Clark, I think that stuff isn't in Pro Football Reference's database that far back.

The other thing is that both Clark and Edmunds are in similar less than ideal situations for them as a player. Both are being asked to do FS and SS things rather than just SS things so that the really good and far better player flanking them can run forward and play the ball. Edmunds to a far less degree than Clark, but it is still there. I mean that Edmunds is supposedly a SS, but he is regularly asked to patrol the deep middle of the field while MFF goes forward towards the line of scrimmage.