Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrell Edmunds Becoming Ryan Clark 2.0?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Terrell Edmunds Becoming Ryan Clark 2.0?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-room-nfl-news

I found this really interesting and eye-opening. Makes the case that despite his lack of splash plays, Edmunds is unlocking other parts of the defense with his ability to play so many roles on the back end.

Didnt his college coach talk glowingly about him?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Terrell Edmunds Becoming Ryan Clark 2.0?

It may be a different subject, but I think "splash plays" are way overvalued by the fan base. I'd much rather have a defense that consistently forces 3 and out than one that gets a lot of splash but gives up points. Same with the offense; I don't want a lot of chunk plays mixed with punts, I want a relentless unstoppable juggernaut that moves the chains consistently. It's not glamorous, but it's very effective.
    Don't get me wrong, splash is important... but I think consistency is even more important.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-room-nfl-news

I found this really interesting and eye-opening. Makes the case that despite his lack of splash plays, Edmunds is unlocking other parts of the defense with his ability to play so many roles on the back end.

Didnt his college coach talk glowingly about him?

His coach absolutely loved him. I believe he said something along the lines that he was the most accomplished Edmunds, and is a great, great player and a very smart and awesome human being.

Other than that, he didn't have much of an opinion on him.
    Last edited by pczach; 12-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah I don’t know how he got lumped with Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns. ��

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah I don’t know how he got lumped with Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns. 🧐
    Easy, he was a Tomlin pick. And Tomlin picks have to suck unless they're WRs.

Edmunds did a few good things last year, but not a lot. That was fine with me because, as a rookie, I didn't expect him to light the field afire. However, it is really nice to see him be the key that unlocks Minkah, Haden, Hilton and others, as the article noted, to go do their thing whether that is interceptions or occupying linemen so others can get to the QB.

I'd love to have another Ryan Clark/Troy P. type pairing for the next decade.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

VaTech’s coach said he’s the best player on his team... a team that included Terrell’s brother (Tremaine).

Terrell has progressed greatly in just two seasons. By year four, we should see that Terrell was a helluva pick.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    VaTech’s coach said he’s the best player on his team... a team that included Terrell’s brother (Tremaine).

Terrell has progressed greatly in just two seasons. By year four, we should see that Terrell was a helluva pick.
    Tremaine sure looked 3x the player Terrell is tonight

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    Tremaine sure looked 3x the player Terrell is tonight

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Too Bad his college coach likes the other one and he must be better cause of that!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

He looks horrible in space needs to clean that part of his game up Fitzpatrick would make Kelly look good at safety ��

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

On the TD, Mark Barron left Terrell Edmunds hanging out to dry.

That’s (at least) the fourth TD where Barron has done that.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    He looks horrible in space needs to clean that part of his game up Fitzpatrick would make Kelly look good at safety ��
    3rd grade was right on Emdunds and big reach by Steelers. He is a okay player but not worth a first rd pick.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Certainly NOT in delivering a hit on a WR.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Nope. Edmunds isn't good in coverage and has below average ball skills.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I can see that.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

good tackler, liability in coverage. ryan clark sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    good tackler, liability in coverage. ryan clark sounds about right.
    Edmunds leads the team in missed tackles. Clark at least made some plays on the ball.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Ryan Clark had a lot more experieince before he became a Steeler. People forget that Clark was a Redskin before he was a Steeler. We got to see an experienced player from day one.

Edmunds is only his second year, and he will still get better.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If he became Ryan Clark 2.0, that wouldn’t be a bad thing at all. Clark and Polamalu were a great tandom and worked EXTREMELY well together. If Edmunds becomes RC2.0 and can work like that with Fitzpatrick? I’ll take that everyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If he became Ryan Clark 2.0, that wouldn’t be a bad thing at all. Clark and Polamalu were a great tandom and worked EXTREMELY well together. If Edmunds becomes RC2.0 and can work like that with Fitzpatrick? I’ll take that everyday of the week.
    Completely agree, are people actually thinking that’s a bad thing?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I didn't see it that way. Barron has the underneath zone and its his job to interrupt the route and follow the receiver until he gets to the next zone, which in that play was Edmunds deep half. IMO, Edmunds was late in seeing/reacting to the receiver being entering his zone and should have been closer to him when he made the out cut so that he could contest the catch. IMO, that is on Edmunds.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I didn't see it that way. Barron has the underneath zone and its his job to interrupt the route and follow the receiver until he gets to the next zone, which in that play was Edmunds deep half. IMO, Edmunds was late in seeing/reacting to the receiver being entering his zone and should have been closer to him when he made the out cut so that he could contest the catch. IMO, that is on Edmunds.
    Yeah after watching the coaches film replay about 5 times, it was on Edmunds. He should have flowed over to the corner of the end zone as he was being handed off. He was way too late in his reaction.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah after watching the coaches film replay about 5 times, it was on Edmunds. He should have flowed over to the corner of the end zone as he was being handed off. He was way too late in his reaction.
    Agreed. Where do you get coaches film replay to watch? That's cool.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I read something as well that the route of the TE shouldn’t have been allowed to be run that shallow. If it was forced to run where the defense “forced it”, Edmunds would’ve been in better position. That’s a hard pattern for any safety to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Fellas,

Edmunds has not had an interception in the past 26 games. He has but 3 passes broken up for the season, a very low number for a starting safety in the NFL. He's not a good coverage person ( Wee see that too often ) , and leads the team in missed tackles. I don't have the number of times he's been targeted ( I suspect it's very high ), but the lack of plays he making is alarming, and he isn't a rookie anymore. He probably has a lot of tackles because the receiver in his area got open and caught the football.

He's got a long way to go to become a Ryan Clark type of player. Sorry Steelers fans, Edmunds, who was a reach in round one, is a 1st round disappointment. Not a bust. Barely good enough to be a starter. Perhaps our weakest starter of the 11. I think Hilton who doesn't start has more value to the Steelers.

Improvement is needed for year 3. If he didn't have a top pass rush and talented players around him, Edmunds would be a more visible liability.

The Jets just burn him for 7. I wish he was Ryan Clark!

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Fellas,

Edmunds has not had an interception in the past 26 games. He has but 3 passes broken up for the season, a very low number for a starting safety in the NFL. He's not a good coverage person ( Wee see that too often ) , and leads the team in missed tackles. I don't have the number of times he's been targeted ( I suspect it's very high ), but the lack of plays he making is alarming, and he isn't a rookie anymore. He probably has a lot of tackles because the receiver in his area got open and caught the football.

He's got a long way to go to become a Ryan Clark type of player. Sorry Steelers fans, Edmunds, who was a reach in round one, is a 1st round disappointment. Not a bust. Barely good enough to be a starter. Perhaps our weakest starter of the 11. I think Hilton who doesn't start has more value to the Steelers.

Improvement is needed for year 3. If he didn't have a top pass rush and talented players around him, Edmunds would be a more visible liability.

If he was the weakness you are describing, other teams would be targeting him on every play. When you have a defense playing this well, there aren't big liabilities on the field.

Teams spend hours and hours breaking down film to identify weaknesses to attack. If he was an easy target, he would be getting picked on repeatedly.

I'm not saying he is Troy in his prime. I'm saying that he is good enough in this system, and that he will continue to improve.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If he was the weakness you are describing, other teams would be targeting him on every play. When you have a defense playing this well, there aren't big liabilities on the field.

Teams spend hours and hours breaking down film to identify weaknesses to attack. If he was an easy target, he would be getting picked on repeatedly.

I'm not saying he is Troy in his prime. I'm saying that he is good enough in this system, and that he will continue to improve.
    The Jets did target him, it cost the Steelers a touchdown. He is a weak link, and the worst member of the secondary. After two camps and nearly two seasons, I do not see much improvement.

He still doesn't turn his head around on pass plays. I'm not saying he's Bo Orlando when the Steelers have him, he's just not very good and would be better as our 3rd safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The Jets did target him, it cost the Steelers a touchdown. He is a weak link, and the worst member of the secondary. After two camps and nearly two seasons, I do not see much improvement.

He still doesn't turn his head around on pass plays. I'm not saying he's Bo Orlando when the Steelers have him, he's just not very good and would be better as our 3rd safety.
    Huge reach and swing and a miss! He is not horrible but not 1st rd pick worthy at all. Yea can't someone on the coaching staff tell him to turn his head back to the ball in coverage ? Buffalo got the good Edmunds and we ended up with the average two.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Huge reach and swing and a miss! He is not horrible but not 1st rd pick worthy at all. Yea can't someone on the coaching staff tell him to turn his head back to the ball in coverage ? Buffalo got the good Edmunds and we ended up with the average two.
    If he was picked in round four, okay. This was our 1st round pick. I wanted either Reid or Bates at safety that year. Both are better players. I view him as a below average starter on a team of defensive stars.

There was some talk he could be our nickel or dime ILB when drafted. Not with his coverage.