Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUJU injury, how this could be a positive!

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

JUJU injury, how this could be a positive!

First I want to say I obviously want Juju to get healthy and get on the field to contribute to Steelers Win.

Although, for some reason I feel like it might be a good thing that he cant make it back for this game. I know I am insane for feeling this way! But hear me out.

1. These group of "no names" are riding this "nothing to lose" culture. Dionte Johnson, James Washington, Dion Cain, etc... they have zero or low expectations from the public point of view. They are not a house hold name "yet" . They do not have to worry about how this is going to affect "their personal brand". They are not in nationwide commercials for video games or pizza hut. They don't have endorsements from big shoe or sunglasses companies. These guys just want to the Steelers to win and do their role.

2. It gives a great look to how deep our bench is and development of our young wide outs. Dionte Johnson is knocking off his rookie jitters and confidently trying to break out big plays. For example, the play against the Cardinals where he looked as if he played paddy cake with Patrick Peterson for a sec, and then chose to reverse field and improvise and almost scored! This is a huge play , because Peterson was thinking well rookie is gonna concede to the tackle I got this space beat and he is a nervous rook, but instead Johnson had confidence in his athletic ability and know he can look back at this tape and say to himself, "I can be threat in the league"

Washington- Is becoming a true combat catcher! (Tomlinism) I feel confident when 50/50 balls are going his way.

Cain- I love this kid, I know he has like only 3 plays in the last 3 games. But He looks like a physical wide out we have been missing.

3. Juju- I love JUJU . Although he is 22 with the mentality of a 17 year old. I am not sure if he possesses the "leadership" qualities or a killer instinct to take over a game. He is out there like a big ol' kid having fun, rather than treating this like a job. Is a game after all.

Furthermore, He has all the pressure to perform and become the number 1, (AB's departure, talking football heads put him under the microscope, endorsements, and his brand) And our young QBs Duck or Mason has underlying pressure to get him the ball.

Example: If Washington, Cain, or Johnson don't catch a ball any particular game.... The media wont even care or bat an eye. If this happens to Juju, the media post game conference will trounce him with questions " why are you struggling, is the QB struggling to get you the ball, etc..)

Summation: In my dream scenario we win the next two games and clinch before week 17. That way Juju can get healthy and play a tune up game going into the playoffs with no pressure.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: JUJU injury, how this could be a positive!

time for primetime deon cain

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post

Juju- I love JUJU . Although he is 22 with the mentality of a 17 year old. I am not sure if he possesses the "leadership" qualities or a killer instinct to take over a game. He is out there like a big ol' kid having fun, rather than treating this like a job. Is a game after all.

Furthermore, He has all the pressure to perform and become the number 1, (AB's departure, talking football heads put him under the microscope, endorsements, and his brand) And our young QBs Duck or Mason has underlying pressure to get him the ball.

Example: If Washington, Cain, or Johnson don't catch a ball any particular game.... The media wont even care or bat an eye. If this happens to Juju, the media post game conference will trounce him with questions " why are you struggling, is the QB struggling to get you the ball, etc..)
    Steelers have a tough decision on extending JuJu’s contract going into the last year of his rookie deal in 2020 - not likely he is going to get fully healthy this season, let alone put up 2018 level stats in any games left.

The QB situation may have impacted him more than anyone before he got hurt, although he had some drops and the killer fumble in the Ravens game that had nothing to do with Rudolph & Duck as the QBs.

JuJu will want top $$$$ and has not yet shown that defenses focusing on AB was not the main reason for his great 2018.

If he does not get a deal before next season could be Dupree situation again.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'd like to see Cain get more targets. He's only had 3 so far, but caught every one, and every one went for a first down. Also drew 2 huge PI flags, they could be onto something with this guy. I think he can be that Nate Washington type of player that prevents defenses from creeping 8 into the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Steelers have a tough decision on extending JuJu’s contract going into the last year of his rookie deal in 2020 - not likely he is going to get fully healthy this season, let alone put up 2018 level stats in any games left.

The QB situation may have impacted him more than anyone before he got hurt, although he had some drops and the killer fumble in the Ravens game that had nothing to do with Rudolph & Duck as the QBs.

JuJu will want top $$$$ and has not yet shown that defenses focusing on AB was not the main reason for his great 2018.

If he does not get a deal before next season could be Dupree situation again.
    Not to mention it's not a bad look that Washington in the #1WR role made more of an impact than he did this year. So far Juju has only been proving the critics right that he's no better than a good WR2. I think he can be a legit WR1 but he can't prove it from the tub.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well the one good thing is Juju isn’t going to command $$$$, he hasn’t shown himself to be a #1 (I think is capable in a 1a-1b scenario) so his second contract should kill the team. He will get more money, but not elite money and I can live with that, especially if he turns into a #1 while under a cap friendly second deal.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well the one good thing is Juju isn’t going to command $$$$, he hasn’t shown himself to be a #1 (I think is capable in a 1a-1b scenario) so his second contract should kill the team. He will get more money, but not elite money and I can live with that, especially if he turns into a #1 while under a cap friendly second deal.
    There is always some other team out there to overpay - if JuJu gets to free agency and someone else wants to pay more I assume he takes it, with no hometown discount to play with a future HOF QB who probably is gone after 2021 even if he has a good recovery from the elbow surgery

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

There is always some other team out there to overpay - if JuJu gets to free agency and someone else wants to pay more I assume he takes it, with no hometown discount to play with a future HOF QB who probably is gone after 2021 even if he has a good recovery from the elbow surgery
    Wow.

You know I did not even take the financials into consideration on how this could be positive for the Steelers. But you guys are right. He really doe not have any leverage to ask for top dollar next year.

Lets say if he signs a mediocre sized contract for the next 3 -5 years. In those 3 years he grows up mentally and talent-wise into a true number 1. We could be in a good shape financially for life after Ben.

I was honestly taking only this remaining season and playoff hopeful into perspective when I created this thread.

I see another Rd 2 or rd 3 pick going to WR, they need some kind of contingency plan for the future if juju decides to walk after next year

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I like JuJu and Conner, but we've proved we can play and win without them. I've already said that I feel Conner is useless to us because of constant injury prone and not there when needed, and JuJu's lack of maturity (filming himself driving over 100mph) could be trouble for the team somewhere down the road. I'd say if JuJu wants more money for, in my opinion, NOT showing he's worth it......let him walk.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Don't ever buy an active Steeler players jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I like JuJu and Conner, but we've proved we can play and win without them. I've already said that I feel Conner is useless to us because of constant injury prone and not there when needed, and JuJu's lack of maturity (filming himself driving over 100mph) could be trouble for the team somewhere down the road. I'd say if JuJu wants more money for, in my opinion, NOT showing he's worth it......let him walk.
    You may be going a bit too far here, Conner is a good RB and we don’t know how injury prone he is at this point. As for Juju, he is a kid, and going to do dumb stuff as he grows (he hasn’t done anything bad, hell I drive over a hundred a few days ago). He is a legit target and unfortunately had a bad season trying to adjust to being pretty much the only WR on the roster that was producing earlier this season. If our current WRs continue to improve and we get a healthy Juju back we have 3 good to great WRs at least, and better that they are different position players. Ben will have a great year next year with this defense and offensive talent around him. We are going to need some OL and TE talent high in the draft, so I think we should resign Juju if we can so we can draft that OL and TE.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Juju being out is not a positive. I get that there was a positive that come from his absence, but that still doesn't constitute an overall positive. That's like saying it was a positive that Ben is out all year so that we could see Mason wasn't the heir and Duck is a good backup. While the latter is true that does not make the former also true.

- - - Updated - - -

Where's all this maturity stuff coming from about Juju?? He drove 100 mph... OK... I get it. It was an immature act, but that doesn't make him, as a 22-23 year-old immature. I think he has a great head on his shoulders and is very respectful.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Juju being out is not a positive. I get that there was a positive that come from his absence, but that still doesn't constitute an overall positive. That's like saying it was a positive that Ben is out all year so that we could see Mason wasn't the heir and Duck is a good backup. While the latter is true that does not make the former also true.
    I agree with this and was about to post something similar.

Unless you are already writing the season off, I think having our best players available is better than not having them.

I really do understand the thinking behind the OP, and it makes a kind of sense. But I still want to win, and in my mind Juju being in the field gives us a better chance than not having him. Conner too. I’d rather give Tomlin options and let him decide how best to use them.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If you asked me about Juju a year ago, he'd be a must-sign player. This year it's a different story - the offense has looked roughly the same with him as without him.

Yes, the QB play has brought everybody down, but I am just not quite so confident anymore that he is a big playmaker in his own right. He might be reliant on others to create space. Johnson, on the other hand, has been making big plays even under these conditions, and might really be someone to watch.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    time for primetime deon cain
    He is called Superman

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Post-Gazette article on Ju-Ju speaking today on his lost season - confirms he is out Sunday and cannot say if/when he will return this season

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201912130127

Had not read previously that after not traveling with the team to Arizona Ju-Ju decided to go to a State College bar (not exactly a local Pittsburgh hangout) instead last weekend.

Pro athletes can do what they want off the field if they stay legal, but as Adam Gase said about Le’Veon going bowling last weekend, some actions are not good optics.

Will see if the honeymoon being over for Ju-Ju puts a dent in his endorsement deals

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Had not read previously that after not traveling with the team to Arizona Ju-Ju decided to go to a State College bar (not exactly a local Pittsburgh hangout) instead last weekend.

Pro athletes can do what they want off the field if they stay legal, but as Adam Gase said about Le’Veon going bowling last weekend, some actions are not good optics.
    I agree that generally it looks bad ... correct me if I'm wrong though, but in this case isn't the issue that the doctors simply will not clear him? For all I know, he may be feeling "fine" and wanting to play, but just not allowed to play by rule. As opposed to all these other cases where guys are begging out of playing due to injuries and illness, then turn up partying. It just doesn't seem like there's much reason why Juju would be bailing on the team.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I agree that generally it looks bad ... correct me if I'm wrong though, but in this case isn't the issue that the doctors simply will not clear him? For all I know, he may be feeling "fine" and wanting to play, but just not allowed to play by rule. As opposed to all these other cases where guys are begging out of playing due to injuries and illness, then turn up partying. It just doesn't seem like there's much reason why Juju would be bailing on the team.
    He definitely is trying to come back - aggravated the injury in practice this week rather than saying I just am not comfortable trying to test the knee yet

And I get not wanting to sit on an aircraft to and from Arizona for a long time with your bad knee immobile - of course if you are driving to and from State College you have the same immobility problem

For someone not as committed to growing their brand (like most everyone else on the team) image does not matter much if at all - but JuJu of course is very committed to his brand

- - - Updated - - -

Where's all this maturity stuff coming from about Juju?? He drove 100 mph... OK... I get it. It was an immature act, but that doesn't make him, as a 22-23 year-old immature. I think he has a great head on his shoulders and is very respectful.
    Like i said, hes 22 with the mentality of a 17 year old. Definatley a respectful kid. He treats playing more as a game than a Job. Which is fine, i love him as a role player. But mentally I dont think he can handle being a true number 1. He doesn't have the killer instinct. like im going take over this game and these DBs are going fear me.

(yes i know he knocked out burfict)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Like i said, hes 22 with the mentality of a 17 year old. Definatley a respectful kid. He treats playing more as a game than a Job. Which is fine, i love him as a role player. But mentally I dont think he can handle being a true number 1. He doesn't have the killer instinct. like im going take over this game and these DBs are going fear me.

(yes i know he knocked out burfict)

JuJu is still the youngest guy in the WR room. He is still a kid. He is doing shit AB only dreamed about at his age.

Everyone needs to take a breath and let JuJu continue to grow, and give him a chance to get on the field with a quarterback that can get him the ball. Rudolph wouldn't throw the ball down the field. I would see JuJu running wide open on replays and Rudolph just wouldn't throw him the ball.

He is a big, physical receiver that makes catches in traffic, and is a factor in the running game with his physical nature. He is a perfect fit for what this team wants to be. You need your best players to lead by example, and JuJu gives great effort every time he is on the field, and does the little things to help teams win.

I think everyone that is trending away from JuJu is making a huge mistake. He is 22 years old and is a great player.

To get back to the subject of this thread, I love what I'm seeing from these young WRs.

Washington is showing some real attitude out there and making incredible contested catches.

Johnson just showed the world what he is capable of in the Cardinals game. He has a chance to be great.

Cain hasn't had a ton of chances, but he has shined every time they looked his way.

If these guys continue to develop, you don't even need a #1 dominant WR. You just need multiple WRs that can defeat coverage in single coverage. Three #2 WRs would be incredible as long as there is a QB that spreads the ball around and gets it to the open man or the player with the best matchup.

This WR group has a chance to be special if they are kept intact.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Surgery will be upcoming.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Everyone jumping off the Juju train just remember how bad Brown was with Landry at QB.

He definitely is trying to come back - aggravated the injury in practice this week rather than saying I just am not comfortable trying to test the knee yet

And I get not wanting to sit on an aircraft to and from Arizona for a long time with your bad knee immobile - of course if you are driving to and from State College you have the same immobility problem

For someone not as committed to growing their brand (like most everyone else on the team) image does not matter much if at all - but JuJu of course is very committed to his brand
    Oh, I was completely out of the loop, for some reason I thought the knee thing was no big deal and this still had to do with the concussion protocol.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    JuJu is still the youngest guy in the WR room. He is still a kid. He is doing shit AB only dreamed about at his age.

Everyone needs to take a breath and let JuJu continue to grow, and give him a chance to get on the field with a quarterback that can get him the ball. Rudolph wouldn't throw the ball down the field. I would see JuJu running wide open on replays and Rudolph just wouldn't throw him the ball.

He is a big, physical receiver that makes catches in traffic, and is a factor in the running game with his physical nature. He is a perfect fit for what this team wants to be. You need your best players to lead by example, and JuJu gives great effort every time he is on the field, and does the little things to help teams win.

I think everyone that is trending away from JuJu is making a huge mistake. He is 22 years old and is a great player.

To get back to the subject of this thread, I love what I'm seeing from these young WRs.

Washington is showing some real attitude out there and making incredible contested catches.

Johnson just showed the world what he is capable of in the Cardinals game. He has a chance to be great.

Cain hasn't had a ton of chances, but he has shined every time they looked his way.

If these guys continue to develop, you don't even need a #1 dominant WR. You just need multiple WRs that can defeat coverage in single coverage. Three #2 WRs would be incredible as long as there is a QB that spreads the ball around and gets it to the open man or the player with the best matchup.

This WR group has a chance to be special if they are kept intact.
    you might be thr only one that gets the topic!

this isnt a anti juju thread. its a silverlining from his injury thread.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If the guy is injured, he’s injured. Still a great player, great kid and great teammate to have around. This guy is dealing with an injury. Was dealing with a garbage offense when he was healthy...

As the great Aaron Rodgers once said: R-E-L-A-X.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Everyone jumping off the Juju train just remember how bad Brown was with Landry at QB.

Exactly this!

- - - Updated - - -

you might be thr only one that gets the topic!

this isnt a anti juju thread. its a silverlining from his injury thread.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

JuJu was on pace to surpass Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald’s numbers (for first three seasons). Even without this season, JuJu was already third on that list.

SUMMATION:
    Uh, yea... I’m absolutely re-signing him.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    JuJu was on pace to surpass Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald’s numbers (for first three seasons). Even without this season, JuJu was already third on that list.

SUMMATION:
    Uh, yea... I’m absolutely re-signing him.
    For Tyreek Hill $$ before his four year contract expires after the 2020 season and JuJu hits free agency?

The dynamic wide receiver had been in the final year of his four-year, $2.6 million deal....

Hill’s extension is for three years and $54 million. That $18 million annual average ties him with Odell Beckham Jr. as the second highest paid receiver in football. Beckham’s contract with the Cleveland Browns is for five years and $90 million.

Michael Thomas of New Orleans Saints holds the title of the wide receiver with the highest average salary of $19.25 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffed.../#7bbf18c4f833

My guess is that is what JuJu will be seeking

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I agree with this and was about to post something similar.

Unless you are already writing the season off, I think having our best players available is better than not having them.

I really do understand the thinking behind the OP, and it makes a kind of sense. But I still want to win, and in my mind Juju being in the field gives us a better chance than not having him. Conner too. I’d rather give Tomlin options and let him decide how best to use them.
    Same here. Having a healthy JuJu on the field is going to transform our passing game. I wish we had him now, since he would improve our chances of getting into the playoffs. I hope we get him back healthy ASAP.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

JUJU injury, how this could be a positive!

I think he will be back for the Ravens game will be just a game to get him back into the swing of things (ie neither team will be playing for anything), then he will be fully ready for WC weekend.

I also think he will get 4yrs $12-$15m/yr, good, but not top tier money.