Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are We Undervaluing This Team

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Are We Undervaluing This Team

Serious won 7 of the last 8, Their losses to good teams if wasn't for fumbles probably would have beat them. This team just needs to get into the dance and can compete with anyone! Could be a amazing year!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Are We Undervauing This Team

Similar to 2004 honestly.

- Rookie QB who can manage the game well and hit on big time throws when needed
    - Strong running game (though not as good as the bus)
    - Top 5 defense
    - Appears to be an actual team and not just a collection of star talent

This team can be dangerous, the defense is good enough to keep them in any game. For the first time ever as a Steelers fan, there’s no offense that really worries me. If the offense can be even average, this team has the ability to beat anyone. If they can get hot on offense before getting into the playoffs, this team is one nobody is going to want to face

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Overall, the offense is very average at the moment. Average QB, average WR corps, average run game, excellent o line, and poor TE play. This may elevate to above average with the return of JuJu, Conner, and Vance.
    Special teams I'd rate as poor, last weekend's punt return notwithstanding.
    Defense is awesome all over the field. D line, linebackers, corners, and safeties are almost unfairly good.

So yeah, I think if we get into the playoffs, anything can happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Similar to 2004 honestly. Top 5 defense
    I would argue that the Steelers are a top 1 defense this year.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    True, I mean they have multiple playmakers at every level of the defense.

Hargrave playing at a pro bowl level, Heyward is at least 2nd team all pro, Alualu is playing solid.
    TJ is #3 in voting for DPOY, Dupree is having a pro bowl level season. Vince is playing really well, mack LB is probably our weakness atm with Barron and Bush. Bush will get better.
    Nelson and Haden are Money, Fitzpatrick is a definite all-pro. You can't get better than Sutton and Hilton as your nickel / dime backs. I'm not a huge Edmunds fan, but the guy has made some really good tackles as of late.

Yeah this defense is probably the most stacked it's been since the mid 2000s. I have a feeling this defense may be even better, if anything for the sole fact that they're better at playing within the rules of the modern game. The mid 2000's defenses would get screwed a lot for personal fouls (helmet to helmet hits) when the league started cracking down on them. They never really adjusted to the change of rules.

To the main point though, I think a lot of people aren't sold on the team yet because the offense is still a big unknown. We literally are fielding an offense full of practice squad guys (our most experienced playmakers on offense are year 2 players). Partially why this season has been so entertaining is because a lot of unlikely events have been happening, and still they have been finding ways to win. It's almost like watching a suspense thriller where anything can happen, that's our offense. Little is known about any of them, but it shows promise.

I can guarantee though, if they have an offensive explosion sometime before week 17 (and not one against the Ravens' backups), there will be a LOT of people jumping on the wagon.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Overall, the offense is very average at the moment. Average QB, average WR corps, average run game, excellent o line, and poor TE play. This may elevate to above average with the return of JuJu, Conner, and Vance.
    Special teams I'd rate as poor, last weekend's punt return notwithstanding.
    Defense is awesome all over the field. D line, linebackers, corners, and safeties are almost unfairly good.

So yeah, I think if we get into the playoffs, anything can happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Settle down Francis, first in turn overs, and first in sacks, but giving up a lot of yards and too many points.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

I'm not sure. Their problem is that they are not an all-phases team. The defense is elite, sure. But offense and special teams not so much. They seem to be somehow improving on offense thanks to Duck's moxie, but there is always a chance of a score, or series of scores when the D is not on the field. You know, kick return, pick-6, that sort of thing. If that does happen, can the offense put it into gear and make up the difference? Play calling so far seems to indicate that the coaches think it cannot. But you also can't just assume that your defense will be able to contain every game to under 18, so you are still looking at needing the offense to get around 20 points, and for at least one game, 27-28.

So its a pretty fragile situation, held together purely by the strength of the defense. If anyone ever gets around that, the offense will have to show us something that we haven't seen all year -- a bushel of points, maybe under time duress. Since they have successfully avoided that sort of situation, or the come from behind 2 minute drill scenario, we don't actually know if they can do it or not.

Personally I am hoping that they stay on script at least until the playoffs, to get Hodges the maximum number of reps before they have to turn it over to him to win on his arm. And then I want him to explode all over everybody's expectations and blow our minds. But INTs are a thing to be feared with this team.......

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I love the optimism!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The defense is Super Bowl quality but the offense is woeful. That will keep them in games but with this offense it is astonishing they are a borderline playoff team, even in a mediocre, top heavy AFC

What I have undervalued is how much I enjoy rooting for a team that is overachieving without the drama and negativity that hung around the Steelers from the time AB began his decline into madness with the penalized TD celebrations in 2016, followed by the contract disputes, radio show sniping, and culmination of it all in the crash & burn in November and December 2018.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I love the optimism!
    Point of the post as fans this year we are expecting them to fail with all the injuries. We have so low expectations! This team maybe better then we think it is! They win this week, then I'm on board a SB is possible!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The 2019 Steelers are the exact type of team 35% of this board has spent the last 5 years raging about every time the Steelers lost to an “inferior” team. Now that type of team is a SB contender?

Can we ever manage expectations? No wonder everyone is so angry all the time.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The 2019 Steelers are the exact type of team 35% of this board has spent the last 5 years raging about every time the Steelers lost to an “inferior” team. Now that type of team is a SB contender?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Worlds are colliding!!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Can we ever manage expectations? .
    You are correct.

My question is.....what is the signature win so far of the 2019 Steelers? The Rams(8-5) or the Colts(6-7) or the Browns(6-7)? Because all the other teams they defeated are already preparing for the draft. IMO, this is a 9-7 team that thankfully has 7 wins against sub .500 teams so far and needs to get one vs the woeful Jets. I'm hoping they can generate some turnovers and beat the Bills and have 2 wins this season against teams with a winning record and get to the playoffs.

If they make it, I really don't expect them to win a wildcard game, but IMO, just getting to the playoffs for this team would be a huge success.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Worlds are colliding!!
    Fansince'76 is getting upset!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Fansince'76 is getting upset!

You're always pissed about something.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Perhaps I'm the exception here, but I feel no need to manage my expectations because I don't get angry over football. I also don't *have* expectations because I know there are 31 other teams trying to win. All I hope for is a non- losing season, even better if we make the playoffs.
    That being said, this team is good enough to go toe to toe with any other team in the league right now. Doesn't mean they will win, but they can.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Are We Undervaluing This Team

The majority of NFL fans feel that the Ravens are the best team in the league. The Steelers were a fumble in OT from winning that game.

SUMMATION:
    The Steelers can hang with anyone.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

this team has something the past 3-4 years that has been lacking that is heart and a will to win!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here’s a stat to give you hope:

Since the 1970 merger, only one team has led the league both in sacks and in takeaways. The 1974 Steelers.

Currently, the Steelers are leading the league both in sacks and in takeaways.

Sooo... it should be a 16-6 Steelers victory over the Vikings in the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Settle down Francis, first in turn overs, and first in sacks, but giving up a lot of yards and too many points.
    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Since the 1970 merger, only one team has led the league both in sacks and in takeaways. The 1974 Steelers.

Sooo... it should be a 16-6 Steelers victory over the Vikings in the Super Bowl.
    Dug deep for that one didn’t you?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

74 Steelers had 3 different starting QBs (Bradshaw/Gilliam/Hanratty)
    74 Steelers drafted an impact MLB/ILB (Lambert)
    74 Steelers acquired an impact safety (Shell)

Dang it, Teegre, you're on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    74 Steelers had 3 different starting QBs (Bradshaw/Gilliam/Hanratty)
    74 Steelers drafted an impact MLB/ILB (Lambert)
    74 Steelers acquired an impact safety (Shell)

Dang it, Teegre, you're on to something.
    He’s a savant

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Similar to 2004 honestly.

- Rookie QB who can manage the game well and hit on big time throws when needed
    - Strong running game (though not as good as the bus)
    - Top 5 defense
    - Appears to be an actual team and not just a collection of star talent

This team can be dangerous, the defense is good enough to keep them in any game. For the first time ever as a Steelers fan, there’s no offense that really worries me. If the offense can be even average, this team has the ability to beat anyone. If they can get hot on offense before getting into the playoffs, this team is one nobody is going to want to face
    Imagine if Ben had stayed healthy. Not to take anything away from Duck but it's sad we didn't have this defense two years ago when the offense was putting up stupid numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    He’s a savant
    I’m often referred to as an “idiot savant.”

Well... the first part, at least.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This team has struggled too much against inferior losing teams, that typically doesn't bode well come playoff time. Twice in a row now they've taken double digit leads against teams with losing records and needed the last possession to finish the game off. They haven't won by more than one possession since week 7 against the Dolphins at home and have faced one team with a winning record since then.Also can you trust the offense come playoff time. The playoffs are going to feature amazing offenses that should get at least some plays and at least top tier defenses. Next year if Ben returns fully healthy or Hodges at least takes the next steps and develops better I think chances are much better. This year, I think playoff spot should be as high as expectations go

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This team has struggled too much against inferior losing teams, that typically doesn't bode well come playoff time. Twice in a row now they've taken double digit leads against teams with losing records and needed the last possession to finish the game off. They haven't won by more than one possession since week 7 against the Dolphins at home and have faced one team with a winning record since then.Also can you trust the offense come playoff time. The playoffs are going to feature amazing offenses that should get at least some plays and at least top tier defenses. Next year if Ben returns fully healthy or Hodges at least takes the next steps and develops better I think chances are much better. This year, I think playoff spot should be as high as expectations go
    Wow Debbie Downer ...

I agree though. If Ben can come back next year, AND we add a healthy WR & RB we could be a really good team. Thing is the Ravens have their QB and are going to be good for a while and if the Browns ever get their shit together so will they. Thank God the Bungles will always be the Bungles. Point is our division is going to be very good for the foreseeable future and once Ben is gone if we don't find a replacement things could get ugly (unless Duck develops).

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think it’s the offense that is being undervalued. Mason Rudolph can be attributed to that. We’ve been spoiled by the Young Mone Crew And the B’s for so long we’ve never dealt with an young offense devoid of elite talent at the skill positions.The offense isn’t doing “just enough”, it’s actually been pretty decent, with Duck under center.

The Steelers reeled off 20 unanswered against the Clowns after a 10-0 deficit, and answered a drive against AZ that resulted in a field goal after the Cardinals tied it up. That deserves some credit.

I’m often referred to as an “idiot savant.”

Well... the first part, at least.
    I never went there.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I think it’s the offense that is being undervalued. Mason Rudolph can be attributed to that. We’ve been spoiled by the Young Mone Crew And the B’s for so long we’ve never dealt with an young offense devoid of elite talent at the skill positions.The offense isn’t doing “just enough”, it’s actually been pretty decent, with Duck under center.

The Steelers reeled off 20 unanswered against the Clowns after a 10-0 deficit, and answered a drive against AZ that resulted in a field goal after the Cardinals tied it up. That deserves some credit.
    QFT (haha)

Calling it now this offense is a sleeping giant. There's gonna be a game where Washington/DJ/Juju all play their best games and then we jump at least 4 spots on the power rankings