Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colberts Last Year With The Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Colberts Last Year With The Steelers.

There have been whispers of this for a while. If he moves on who would you hire? What about Aikman?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...t-with-cowboys

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Colberts Last Year With The Steelers.

No way. If Colbert rides off into the sunset while Tomlin is still the coach, I think you promote whoever is being groomed internally. That person knows the style of players that the team is looking for in their system and has been part of a track record of above average success in player evaluation and development.

No way I seriously consider turning to an outsider. This is not a moribund franchise in need to a dramatic shake-up with a record of recent draft and FA "busts" that often does and should have an owner looking externally for a candidate.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Simple answer unless he is retiring! Pay the man and give him whatever he wants!

- - - Updated - - -

I will throw a name out there though and think Jimmy Johnson would make a great GM if he choose to do it!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

What is Omar Khan's position now? Is he higher than a GM?

Wasn't he supposed to be the one groomed to take over from Colbert?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Not sure but I thought he was a bean counter.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Steelers split the front office into two sides - finding players and contracts.

Colbert picks the players and Khan figures out how to pay them.

Their #2's are Brandon Hunt and Samir Sulieman.

https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I say promote Khan. He's been doing well as a capologist

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Bill Cowher ? Just throwing a name out. Definitely want someone who know's the Rooney family and what the Steeler's history is all about.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don’t think Colbert retires until Ben does. He spent the last year putting together an incredible defense, with great pick ups and maneuvering. I think he’ll want a chance to reap the rewards of work.

The thing we might have to worry about is the guy from the Panthers trying to steal front office personnel from us. Colbert probably won’t leave, but people from his department might.

I forgot who the guy is, but someone in the department was a key figure in pushing for the Minkah trade. Whoever that guy is, that’s a guy I want to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t think Colbert retires until Ben does. He spent the last year putting together an incredible defense, with great pick ups and maneuvering. I think he’ll want a chance to reap the rewards of work.

The thing we might have to worry about is the guy from the Panthers trying to steal front office personnel from us. Colbert probably won’t leave, but people from his department might.

I forgot who the guy is, but someone in the department was a key figure in pushing for the Minkah trade. Whoever that guy is, that’s a guy I want to keep.
    Brandon Hunt, Colbert's heir apparent and the current director of Pro Scouting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Bill Cowher ? Just throwing a name out. Definitely want someone who know's the Rooney family and what the Steeler's history is all about.
    With their first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Alonzo Jackson.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

From what I remember, he and ARII didn't get along. And now that Dan is no longer around to mediate between them...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

- - - Updated - - -

With their first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Alonzo Jackson.
    Okay, that was just cold... LOL.

But I definitely get your point. Cowher might not have the best record with talent evaluation. Plus it would just be weird putting him with Tomlin. If the Steelers ever win another Super Bowl people will once again say that Tomlin did it with Cowher’s players.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

"Who the hell wants this Roethlisberger guy?"

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    "Who the hell wants this Roethlisberger guy?"
    I want the big ole guard! QBs are for sissies!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Cowher and his wife are New York City residents - Cowher says he loves life in the big city. And in the excellent A Football Life Cowher’s family said the fishbowl existence of being with the Steelers in Pittsburgh contributed to him walking away.

Add to that Cowher cashes a nice check from CBS and at this stage of his life probably has no interest in putting in the hours required for a NFL front office (or for that matter coaching) job

Some successful head coaches are lifers while others like Cowher, Tony Dungy and (way back in the day) John Madden cashed out for less stressful TV gigs while enjoying life at a relatively early age.

FWIW I would guess the Steelers would promote internally if Panthers owner David Tepper hires Colbert or Omar Kahn away, as ESPN reports he may try to do

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ers-executives

Meanwhile Florio at PFT has replaced the Tomlin to Washington rumor with a Tomlin to Carolina rumor

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-in-carolina/

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Seriously nobody want Jimmy Johnson after the Walker trade ? Think he would make a great GM! Not sold on Cowher as a GM. Neither probably want the job and are happy broadcasting!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Cowher and his wife are New York City residents - Cowher says he loves life in the big city. And in the excellent A Football Life Cowher’s family said the fishbowl existence of being with the Steelers in Pittsburgh contributed to him walking away.

Add to that Cowher cashes a nice check from CBS and at this stage of his life probably has no interest in putting in the hours required for a NFL front office (or for that matter coaching) job

Some successful head coaches are lifers while others like Cowher, Tony Dungy and (way back in the day) John Madden cashed out for less stressful TV gigs while enjoying life at a relatively early age.

FWIW I would guess the Steelers would promote internally if Panthers owner David Tepper hires Colbert or Omar Kahn away, as ESPN reports he may try to do

Meanwhile Florio at PFT has replaced the Tomlin to Washington rumor with a Tomlin to Carolina rumor

Tomlin will never leave Pittsburgh voluntarily. It’s pretty much the best coaching gig in football.

And I don’t see any reason Colbert would either. No reason to make a lateral move out of the Burgh except for family situations like Munch.

But Colbert is building something special here. He isn’t interested in starting over. He’ll stay here until he retires.

They can only steal someone they can promote.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Brandon Hunt is the future GM, would be shocked if he wasn't.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Totally agree on Cowher. I watched his A FOOTBALL LIFE on the NFL Network and he's quite comfortable in his current gig at CBS in NY City. He loves living in NY City, his new wife is a rocker that plays gigs in the city and he has his NC beach house to spend with this kids/grand kids. Why the heck would anyone give that up to deal with the pressures of being a GM?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Clearly, the thing to do is for everyone on this message board to apply and see who gets the closest.

And then that person can tell everyone else to shut up because they're just ordinary fans who have no right to have an opinion about what a professional GM should do.

I mean, they could say that more than they do already.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Clearly, the thing to do is for everyone on this message board to apply and see who gets the closest.

And then that person can tell everyone else to shut up because they're just ordinary fans who have no right to have an opinion about what a professional GM should do.

I mean, they could say that more than they do already.
    Hell, you have a *right* to an opinion. You just have to remember that your opinion doesn't matter.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Interview with Panthers owner David Tepper on his hiring plans indicates, assuming he is not blowing smoke, that what Tepper is looking to fill is not the type of job Colbert would be interested in

Based on what Tepper said the day he fired Ron Rivera, I thought he would hire an assistant GM and a VP of football operations. Turns out, he will make one hire, with a title to be established later. The head coach will likely be hired first, then have input on who the incoming executive will be.

“You’d like to have the head coach have some input into the AGM because that AGM will be involved in certain things that the head coaches is involved in too—training room, health and safety, the strength coach, sports science, all those things go together,” Tepper said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/12/da...h-nfl-meetings

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I find the part I underlined to be interesting. When the coaching job for the cowboys came open and Jerry ended up getting Wade Philips there was also an interview with Cowher. The breaking point for Cowher was he wanted to make player personnel decisions and that was Jerry's job who was not about to go quietly into the night. So if Cowher was really concerned about being in a "Fishbowl" in Pittsburgh why was he interviewing for the job in Dallas? He had to know that saying he wanted to make player personnel decisions would not fly with Jerry, but IDK.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I find the part I underlined to be interesting. When the coaching job for the cowboys came open and Jerry ended up getting Wade Philips there was also an interview with Cowher. The breaking point for Cowher was he wanted to make player personnel decisions and that was Jerry's job who was not about to go quietly into the night. So if Cowher was really concerned about being in a "Fishbowl" in Pittsburgh why was he interviewing for the job in Dallas? He had to know that saying he wanted to make player personnel decisions would not fly with Jerry, but IDK.
    I’ve heard Cowher state (several times) the fishbowl analogy. Think about how this board is hyper-critical of everything that the Steelers do. It’s a small version of the city of Pittsburgh. The Steelers HC job is highly coveted, but it’s also extremely stressful.

As far as Dallas goes, Jerrah has money. So, he can lure just about anyone into an interview. But, as Cowher states: taking the job is a different story. Why? Jerrah wants control (which scares all of the good coaches away).

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’ve heard Cowher state (several times) the fishbowl analogy. Think about how this board is hyper-critical of everything that the Steelers do. It’s a small version of the city of Pittsburgh. The Steelers HC job is highly coveted, but it’s also extremely stressful.

As far as Dallas goes, Jerrah has money. So, he can lure just about anyone into an interview. But, as Cowher states: taking the job is a different story. Why? Jerrah wants control (which scares all of the good coaches away).
    Yes I get that coaching in Pittsburgh is a fishbowl, but so is Dallas and yes money is lucrative, but if you are truly so opposed to the fishbowl I don't think any amount of money would lure you to wok in that system. Not only is that place a fishbowl it's a damn 3 ring circus. In the end I think Bill realized that was the case and exited stage left as quickly as he could.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Colbert’s going to be a tough guy to replace. Being from Richmond I get to see the Redskin “shit show” on a routine bases. We don’t really know how good we have it. He’s whiffed a few times, but man, he’s knocked it out of the park. This season in particular.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Colbert’s going to be a tough guy to replace. Being from Richmond I get to see the Redskin “shit show” on a routine bases. We don’t really know how good we have it. He’s whiffed a few times, but man, he’s knocked it out of the park. This season in particular.
    And the church said, "AMEN".

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

Correctamundo!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Colbert drafted Senquez Golson.

Colbert can take his “I traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick” and hit the road!!!