Thread: What do we have in Duck? My scouting report.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

What do we have in Duck? My scouting report.

What do we have in Duck?

With 3 games as the starter and some impressive work as a sub later in the games, I'm going to take a stab at a scouting report on Delvin " duck " Hodges "

Duck is 3-0 as the starter, and 4-0 in games where he throws the football 10 times or more.

Grading scale:

Poor
    Below average
    Average
    Above Average
    Good
    Very good
    Excellent

Size - Below average. He's 6'1" 210 pounds. On the smaller side, however has a compact build and can take a hit.

Arm - Average to Above average. The velocity on short to medium throws is fine. He has range to throw if 50 yards or more if needed. He's not the type to zip it between defenders, or drill a deep out more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. Not likely a good deep curl pattern passer either.

Accuracy - Very Good to Excellent. Able to hit moving targets in stride on slant plays. Good with Screens. Understand ball placement and where to throw it. Delivers an accurate football, giving his receiver the best chance to make a play. His deep ball passes float a bit, but he doesn't hesitate to throw it once he sees and open receiver. Can throw it accurately on the run. And can throw it to a spot, where the receiver will catch it after he breaks. Shows his quality on 3rd and long plays, and to be fair he's not working with the best group or Receivers. He’s currently completing over 70% of his passes. I'm very impressed with this part of his game

Mobility / Athleticism - Good. Duck ran a 4.78 on his pro day. He also tested well on jumping tests. He can escape the rush to buy himself a second chance or run for yardage. If we send guys deep in man coverage, he can beat the rush, get outside the pocket and run for serious yardage. One of the better parts of his game

Release - Above average. Seems to get the ball out fairly quickly and can beat the blitz. Doesn’t have a classic over the top release, but it’s high enough ( which is important for the shorter QB's ), and he can throw from multiple angles.

Football IQ/ Reading a defense. - Good. He locates his recovers quickly, understands where he is on the field and when to throw the ball away. Vision to locate receivers looks to be a plus. Not the type to throw it into double coverage often. While his pocket presence could use some work, such as stepping and throwing instead of just rolling right, he's a rookie and can get better.

Ball handling. Above average. Good on handoffs or tosses. Can field bad snaps quickly and recover. Probably would be a good play action QB, but the Steelers seldom call it. Would likely be a good bootleg QB as well. Things the OC needs to put into the game plan, I think.

Intangibles. Very good. Duck is very completive and cool under pressure. Can lead come from behind scores. Doesn't seem to fold under the pressure at all.

Leadership - Good. A hard concept to define, the guys just seem to like playing with him. It’s hard for a rookie QB who isn't a first round pick to get respect from the veterans, but Duck has it. They believe with him and in seem to trust him. He inspires them.

Summary:

I don't see your Joe average back up QB here, Duck has a game. We could have a better than average NFL stating QB here, perhaps not elite but he's certainly good enough to win many games with. He's doing well, even with a collection of back up skill players around him. Singed for dirt cheap, the Steelers own him for 4-5 years, meaning if Ben were to retire tomorrow the Steelers would have 33.5 million in cap space. It's every GM's dream to find a really good starting QB on his first contract as they can load up in the other areas until his second contract comes up.

Rookies QB's tend to get a lot better in their 2nd and 3rd years. Duck doesn't look like a rookie.

Someone asked me who does he remind you of? Now comes the part where I say something that can really make me look silly in the future as I will be using familiar names. I'll go with either a slightly bigger and slightly slower version of Doug Flutie, who turned into a pretty good QB in the late 1990's on the Buffalo Bills or a poor man’s Drew Brees.

If your QB is completing over 70% of his passes and has a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio that team is winning lots of games. While one interception really wasn't Duck fault, the point is still made. I’d like to see the coaching staff give him more passing opportunities, especially on 2nd down.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...H/HodgDe00.htm

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: What do we have in Duck? My scouting report.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Good write up and I agree with the grades. I think his strongest suits are his ball placement and how quickly he goes through his progressions. His mobility is not great, but good enough to pick up key first downs. I don't think his size will hold him back, I've already seen him take pretty good shots and shrug them off like nothing. His calmness under pressure is really impressive, the guy already carries himself and plays like a veteran. I think he will have a bright future in the league. If he doesn't get his chance to start in Pittsburgh, he will somewhere else.

Thing he has to work on is pocket presence. While it's not terrible (definitely leagues ahead of Mason), he does have a tendency to slide into the pass rush rather than away from it. Although, I did see improvement from the Browns game to yesterday's.

He's starting to earn the trust of the coaching staff, they had him throw it late in the game in key situations, which tells me they have faith that he can win the game with his arm if need be.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Linked salary info says Duck is an exclusive rights (not very) free agent in 2021, which means the Steelers can tender a one year guaranteed contract for the minimum and Duck takes it or can sit out. That assumes a new CBA does not give the Ducks of the NFL greater contract rights

Rudolph's rookie deal ends after 2021 so that gives the Steelers time to decide whether to retain Duck (presumably as a backup) and say bye to Rudolph when they in all likelihood also say bye to Ben

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Linked salary info says Duck is an exclusive rights (not very) free agent in 2021, which means the Steelers can tender a one year guaranteed contract for the minimum and Duck takes it or can sit out. That assumes a new CBA does not give the Ducks of the NFL greater contract rights

Rudolph's rookie deal ends after 2021 so that gives the Steelers time to decide whether to retain Duck (presumably as a backup) and say bye to Rudolph when they in all likelihood also say bye to Ben
    Correct. We have him for very cheap for now, 2020, and 2021. He won't be an unrestricted free agent before these dates.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

This team was FUBAR early on. Now, this new defense and offense has me loving every minute and enjoying the ride.

Duck? He is getting better every game.

Cannot wait to see what happens against the Bills top 5 defense.

Will they (and his mama) take the reigns off this southern talent this game? Fingers crossed...

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Ahhh. I totally forgot about the "free agents but not really categories". I should've read more carefully!

Carry on then.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The main thing is, other teams can not simply load up the box and shut down the offense anymore. Teams now need to respect the pass against us. That is all we needed going forward to have a chance, and honestly having a chance is all I wanted for this season after losing Ben. Enjoying the ride for as long as Duck can take us!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    The main thing is, other teams can not simply load up the box and shut down the offense anymore. Teams now need to respect the pass against us. That is all we needed going forward to have a chance, and honestly having a chance is all I wanted for this season after losing Ben. Enjoying the ride for as long as Duck can take us!
    Absolutely the key. Duck throws a good enough deep ball to push the safeties out of the box. Rudolph didn’t and teams caught on.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

What do we have in Duck ? Well i'll tell you just what we have in Duck. In Duck we have a guy whos name has Hodge in it. Mostly what we have in Duck is a guy who is doing the exact thing noone thought he could do.Doing the exact same thing everyone said he couldn't do. That's what we have in Devlin Hodges.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .