Thread: Ranking the Defensive players contributions this year

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Ranking the Defensive players contributions this year

Here is my list. I know some of you will have TJ first and some may put Bud Dupree first. I think Minkah has made everyone play better. I also think that Steve Nelson is our number #1 CB.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick - our pass defense was putrid until he showed up. A lot of sacks upfront are credited to the better play in the secondary
    2. TJ Watt - having an MVP caliber year
    3. Steve Nelson- what?!? “I’ve not heard his name called all year” - EXACTLY!
    4. Bud Dupree - the guys wants to cash in and he’s gonna
    5. Cam Heyward - steady as ever
    6. Javon Hargreaves - has played surprisingly well
    7. Joe Haden - has played well lately
    8. Devin Bush - Devin Bush being 8 on this list tells you how good the defense has been
    9. Mike Hilton - one of the best nickles we’ve ever had
    10. Terrell Edmunds - being 9th on this list doesn’t mean he’s not good. Quite the opposite, he’s also played steady.
    10. Vince Williams
    11. Tyson Alualu
    12. Cam Sutton
    13. Mark Barron and the rest

Re: Ranking the Defensive players contributions this year

I'd move Haden up to just behind Nelson. "I've not heard his name called all year" fits Haden pretty well as well, except when his name's been called for his four INTs this year and passes defended (and at least two other balls Haden thinks he should have caught). Perhaps I'd move his name up above Nelson simply because QBs are coming after Haden, and he's more than holding his own.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Agreed after this game Haden should be in the conversation!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I would put Dupree about tied with Bush for 8th ... in other words, the 9th-most important member of the defense when salary considerations come up.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dupree has balled out this year seriously. Dare I say he’s even making a bigger impact than Watt. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s leading the nfl in TFL’s.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was lambasting Mark Barron at lunch before the game. Then, on the first series, he gets a sack.

(He still sucks.)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Haden above Cam and Hargrave. I’d almost flip flop Cam and Hargrave as well...

I’d also almost add Tuitt to the Top-12 just based on him beasting out while he was healthy...this defense with that level of Tuitt?!? Oh my....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

My top 9
    1. Fitzmagic: Defense plays like a raging tire fire the first 2 games. Fitzpatrick comes in balls out, makes numerous plays and the defense has dramatically improved and been the best it's been since early in the decade with no other additions being made. I will just go ahead and credit Minkah for sparking the turn around. Fitzpatrick for DPOY 2019
    2. TJ Watt: A dominant edge rusher is crucial to a dominant defense. Watt is that dominant edge rusher. Year 3 he's turned into an elite franchise edge rusher
    3. B- B- Bush!: Shored up the middle linebacker position which was a mess between Shazier suffering his injury and Bush being drafted. Has created numerous game-changing turnovers. He took over the Chargers game early and I argue that even with Duck they still lose to the Bungals were it not for his amazing forced fumble.
    4. Cam Heyward: 3-4 defensive end is a critical position. The fact that the steelers defense hasn't missed a beat with Tuitt out is likely a testament to Cam's play
    5. Steven Nelson: I forgot who was starting across from Joe Haden last year when it wasn't Artie Burnt. I just remember he was terrible. Steven Nelson has been a tremendous upgrade over Joe Haden
    6. Bud Dupree: Having a career year
    7. Joe Haden: Making his biggest impact the last 2 games
    8. Hargrave: Solid play
    9 tie. Hilton and Sutton: Manning down the slot corner position

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

As of week 14, I think the Steelers defense is the best in the NFL. First in sacks and first in takeaways. Playing as a unit. Elite.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    As of week 14, I think the Steelers defense is the best in the NFL. First in sacks and first in takeaways. Playing as a unit. Elite.
    Exactly! Not sure I could rank them individually......and what, we are fourth or fifth in points allowed?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Haden above Cam and Hargrave. I’d almost flip flop Cam and Hargrave as well...

I’d also almost add Tuitt to the Top-12 just based on him beasting out while he was healthy...this defense with that level of Tuitt?!? Oh my....
    Hargrave and Heyward's contributions are massively underrated this year. They are basically doing the job of three guys, and they are effective. Without that, Dupree isn't getting shots at the QB, Bush is getting run over by linemen, and opponents have all the time in the world to take shots at the secondary.

Alualu has also stepped up big-time, it's worth mentioning. This is probably the best football he's played in his time with the team.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Here is my list. I know some of you will have TJ first and some may put Bud Dupree first. I think Minkah has made everyone play better. I also think that Steve Nelson is our number #1 CB.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick - our pass defense was putrid until he showed up. A lot of sacks upfront are credited to the better play in the secondary
    2. TJ Watt - having an MVP caliber year
    3. Steve Nelson- what?!? “I’ve not heard his name called all year” - EXACTLY!
    4. Bud Dupree - the guys wants to cash in and he’s gonna
    5. Cam Heyward - steady as ever
    6. Javon Hargreaves - has played surprisingly well
    7. Joe Haden - has played well lately
    8. Devin Bush - Devin Bush being 8 on this list tells you how good the defense has been
    9. Mike Hilton - one of the best nickles we’ve ever had
    10. Terrell Edmunds - being 9th on this list doesn’t mean he’s not good. Quite the opposite, he’s also played steady.
    10. Vince Williams
    11. Tyson Alualu
    12. Cam Sutton
    13. Mark Barron and the rest
    Nelson is not that good. I'd place him 7th. Hargrave isn't as valuable Haden. Bush started out great, but has seen his snap count reduced.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Hargrave and Heyward's contributions are massively underrated this year. They are basically doing the job of three guys, and they are effective. Without that, Dupree isn't getting shots at the QB, Bush is getting run over by linemen, and opponents have all the time in the world to take shots at the secondary.

Alualu has also stepped up big-time, it's worth mentioning. This is probably the best football he's played in his time with the team.
    For what it's worth, I think PFF ranks our D-line as the best in the league as far as generating pressure, generating pressure at a 50% rate sounds crazy and probably is:

11. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Last Week: 13th
    The Steelers crept up two spots in our ELO ranking after they came away with a Week 13 win over the Browns, albeit with a different quarterback than they had for the fateful Week 11 affair. Devlin Hodges provided a much-needed spark for the offense, completing 14-of-21 attempts for 212 yards, one touchdown and one interception to go along with three big-time throws to zero turnover-worthy plays. In his first start in place of Mason Rudolph, Hodges earned an 81.3 passing grade and generated 0.213 EPA per pass attempt — figures that far surpassed anything Rudolph was able to do in his time under center. Defensively, this team's pass-rush is as formidable a unit as you'll find in the NFL. No other defensive line in the league has produced more total pressures (240), recorded a higher collective pass-rush win rate (64.7%) or produced pressure at a higher rate (50.7% of snaps) than the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    For what it's worth, I think PFF ranks our D-line as the best in the league as far as generating pressure, generating pressure at a 50% rate sounds crazy and probably is:

11. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Last Week: 13th
    The Steelers crept up two spots in our ELO ranking after they came away with a Week 13 win over the Browns, albeit with a different quarterback than they had for the fateful Week 11 affair. Devlin Hodges provided a much-needed spark for the offense, completing 14-of-21 attempts for 212 yards, one touchdown and one interception to go along with three big-time throws to zero turnover-worthy plays. In his first start in place of Mason Rudolph, Hodges earned an 81.3 passing grade and generated 0.213 EPA per pass attempt — figures that far surpassed anything Rudolph was able to do in his time under center. Defensively, this team's pass-rush is as formidable a unit as you'll find in the NFL. No other defensive line in the league has produced more total pressures (240), recorded a higher collective pass-rush win rate (64.7%) or produced pressure at a higher rate (50.7% of snaps) than the Steelers.
    This statistic should tell you all you should need to know about the effectiveness of the D line:

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    This statistic should tell you all you should need to know about the effectiveness of the D line:

It’s really impressive, and the irony is that this is the EXACT type of defense we always needed to beat the Patriots.

We all know beating Brady is about getting to him without blitzing. That’s something we couldn’t do even in our old glory days with Troy and co. That’s why I actually like this defense even more than our ‘08 defense. Remember, the only times we got to the Super Bowl was when we didn’t have to face Brady in the playoffs. We now finally have a D that almost looks DESIGNED to beat Brady.

Man, if we had Ben this year we’d be true contenders. But it would be awesome if we could still manage to meet the Pats in the playoffs. It’s kind of unlikely, but win or lose, I’d love to see this D, as it is now, get a shot at Brady.

This has been a season of unlikely heroes. If you told me in the beginning of the season that we'd have a top 5 defense, that Bud Dupree would be playing at a pro bowl level, our #1 receiver would be James Washington, and our starting QB would be some undrafted guy named Duck Hodges, I would have broken ribs laughing so hard.

If anything, Devlin Hodges was supposed to be the guy parodied as Ballsack Flanigan in this article

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    This has been a season of unlikely heroes. If you told me in the beginning of the season that we'd have a top 5 defense, that Bud Dupree would be playing at a pro bowl level, our #1 receiver would be James Washington, and our starting QB would be some undrafted guy named Duck Hodges, I would have broken ribs laughing so hard.

If anything, Devlin Hodges was supposed to be the guy parodied as Ballsack Flanigan in this article
    Actually, none of those things would have totally shocked me except for the Duck part.

I’m not saying I was some kind of guru, but I was very (possibly stupidly) optimistic about Dupree and Washington.
    Although I expected way more from Juju. And obviously more from Ben.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Nelson is not that good. I'd place him 7th. Hargrave isn't as valuable Haden. Bush started out great, but has seen his snap count reduced.
    I disagree. Article today talks about how dominant Nelson has been and also other posts mention how great the DL has played. My list was for contributions this year and Nelson has played lights out as well as Hargreaves. I’m not saying Haden is not playing well. It’s just that the other guys have played better. I liked compiling this list as it was a nice problem to have to say who played better among a pool of legitimate talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I heard somewhere that his reduced snapcount was planned. Since rookies hit a wall come November, this was Tomlin's plan to see if he can't bypass the rookie-wall.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I heard somewhere that his reduced snapcount was planned. Since rookies hit a wall come November, this was Tomlin's plan to see if he can't bypass the rookie-wall.
    Vince and Barron have been playing fairly well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Vince and Barron have been playing fairly well...
    I think Barron has been playing better and better as the season has gone on.