Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Duck

3-0, his stats are good and he makes good decisions for this early in his career imo.

Can he be a legitimate starter in the nfl in your opinion?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Duck

Yes he can be. He’s basically doing what Ben was doing in his first year. Manage the game, pick up first downs, and when they drop 8 in the box, test them long

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Please don't make him your avatar.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

i don't think starter but a good insurance policy

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

He's be a great backup for Ben the next couple of years.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

He had some very veteran like throws today. I'm not sure who said his arm wasn't very strong, but I didn't see it today. He put some of those balls(the ones he needed to) on a rope.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Duck clearly has something there, hopefully it develops into full franchise QB.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    3-0, his stats are good and he makes good decisions for this early in his career imo.

Can he be a legitimate starter in the nfl in your opinion?
    In my opinion, it's too early to tell. Just as I was down on Mason but willing to give him time, so I'm up on Duck, but also aware I have to give him to develop and hit the rough spots and see how he perseveres. However, at the very least, he has enough tools to start games in the NFL. But, does that extend to having enough to be a designated starter by plan rather than by emergency? I don't know. That's what I want to see. But, at this point, there's not a lot that says he can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    In my opinion, it's too early to tell.

Just as I was down on Mason but willing to give him time, so I'm up on Duck, but also aware I have to give him to develop and hit the rough spots and see how he perseveres. However, at the very least, he has enough tools to start games in the NFL. But, does that extend to having enough to be a designated starter by plan rather than by emergency? I don't know. That's what I want to see.

But, at this point, there's not a lot that says he can't be.
    I agree Preach. It is very early, but he has not made any major rookie mistakes.

Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I agree Preach. It is very early, but he has not made any major rookie mistakes.

Only time will tell.
    As I said in the Gameball thread, he made some veteran moves today. His choices to throw the ball away or take a sack or run at what seemed like the right times; his protection of the ball other than the strip-sack (still don't blame him for that); and the way he dropped some of those balls in for his receivers . . . it was pretty impressive.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think he can only get better. The announcers even stated he had more playbook to use now that he is getting reps. Thats something I really took for granted, but he had been limited and still looks much more confident than Rudolph. That TD to DJ was legit. DJ was covered and Duck put it in perfect spot. He obviously needs some playmakers and a solid D but he is making less mistakes than Ben made his rookie year. I don't think he has the upside that Ben had but its hard to say this guy cant be a solid QB. Im not ready to give him the reigns yet but pretty pumped with this guy so far.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he can only get better. The announcers even stated he had more playbook to use now that he is getting reps. Thats something I really took for granted, but he had been limited and still looks much more confident than Rudolph. That TD to DJ was legit. DJ was covered and Duck put it in perfect spot. He obviously needs some playmakers and a solid D but he is making less mistakes than Ben made his rookie year. I don't think he has the upside that Ben had but its hard to say this guy cant be a solid QB. Im not ready to give him the reigns yet but pretty pumped with this guy so far.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

When he starts I actually believe he can do enough for the team to win.

I don’t need flashy, I don’t need pedigree, I just want a QB to be confident in himself and his abilities and reads and preparation... Duck is doing just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

As most know love him since preseason and said it then when I watch him. There is just something special about him. Anyways it is his team now and we will get a good look at him before the season is out.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I hate those memes but that was funny!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I hate those memes but that was funny!
    I hate them also but this was goofy funny

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I hate them also but this was goofy funny
    It was.

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    As most know love him since preseason and said it then when I watch him. There is just something special about him. Anyways it is his team now and we will get a good look at him before the season is out.
    I
    saw it in the preseason as well. He has IT! Some might call it moxie, but I saw it right away. I never saw it in 4 years of Landry Jones. If Duck was 2 inches taller, with a bit stronger arm, he'd have been a high draft pick. Still, his intangibles might be enough to give him a decently high ceiling.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He definitely looks like he is learning from the experience and picking up the pro game, something you couldn't say for Rudolph. Duck has gone from gutsy but wild, to looking almost comfortable.

Granted, this has been against some pretty wretched competition, but I have seen us go through plenty of backups who looked a lot worse against the same.

Who knows if he is starter material - if he keeps improving at this rate, he will be. If not, he is a backup who can win a game for you, and that is still a valuable thing to have.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Yeah, too early to tell, but his stature, only 6’? I can’t see a viable long term starter at that height. He’d have to become an extraordinary qb to pull that off (like Russell Wilson).

I can totally see him as a solid backup to Ben next year, and possibly holding down the fort until the next franchisee arrives

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Yes, he's starter material. He may not be pro- bowl caliber, but he's good enough to start.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Go Duck!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

The bills defense will be a good test for him .

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It took Tommy Brady twice as many passes to throw for the same amount of yards yesterday - against a horrible Chiefs defense.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    i don't think starter but a good insurance policy
    I agree. Right now he is making the throws he is supposed to, like the screens, RB wheel, crossing routes, slants, etc. The downfield shots are mostly being converted into PI calls, because guys like Washington are fighting for the football and drawing the penalty. The projection for Hodges in his draft profile was possible backup and I think that is what his ceiling is.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm giving him the 'franchise' possible look right now. He's doing everything asked of so far, he's getting deeper in the play book, the player's are liking him and trusting him, coaches are liking and trusting him, he know's what to do with the ball when in trouble, not making stupid mistakes and/or throws, seems to read the defenses pretty well, can get out of the pocket sensibly when forced, and it looks like he can take a 'hit' without breaking like glass. I think with the experience of the remaining teams ( some good teams) he will only get smarter. I do like him for our back up right now for Ben, and by the time Ben decides to turn it all in I believe Duck will be able to step in without missing a step. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Again, I only saw the highlights, but there is good and bad right now with Duck. He is aggressive, mobile, and fearless in a positive way. He is also fairly quick to make a decision. The negative is that he still moves around in the pocket weird and hangs his o-line out to dry a bit. Additionally, he is slow to get through all the reads and often misses guys flashing open in the middle of the field short on crossers as he stays on his primary too long. But, he is doing that to a degree that I think is reasonable for any young rookie QB -- not the exaggerated degree that Rudolph was.

Great story. Seems like a good guy. Easy as heck to root for. Career NFL back-up.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

He is doing great.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quack Quack!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler