Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whyte

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: whyte

Conner, Samuels, Snell and Whyte all can have a helmet. Whyte is taking Switzers spot...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Edmunds is the most logical guy to sit. His skil-set is replicated by multiple other, better RBs AND his pass protection is poor.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I've been watching some more of this guy's highlights, and one thing that stands out to me is that despite being only around 200 lbs, this guy has really good contact balance and doesn't go down easily. He put 23 reps on the bench, so I guess his power shouldn't really be surprising. I want to see him get more touches, and get more involved in the passing game. A guy with sub-4.4 speed in the open field can result in some big plays.

With his combination of speed and power he could be the next Willie Parker. He's not gonna run people over, but from what I've seen so far, this guy runs through arm tackles without much problems, and DBs seem to have trouble getting him down.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I've been watching some more of this guy's highlights, and one thing that stands out to me is that despite being only around 200 lbs, this guy has really good contact balance and doesn't go down easily. He put 23 reps on the bench, so I guess his power shouldn't really be surprising. I want to see him get more touches, and get more involved in the passing game. A guy with sub-4.4 speed in the open field can result in some big plays.

With his combination of speed and power he could be the next Willie Parker. He's not gonna run people over, but from what I've seen so far, this guy runs through arm tackles without much problems, and DBs seem to have trouble getting him down.
    I like him but he does not have Willie Parker speed and Willie had 3.2 speed. That said he has the speed to take it to the house which no other RB on the roster has. Hope he keeps getting more snaps each week.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I been saying for weeks we need to go RB early next draft. Now I'm not so sure with the addition of Whyte we may need too. Would like to seem him involved in the pass catching game though a bit.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I like him but he does not have Willie Parker speed and Willie had 3.2 speed. That said he has the speed to take it to the house which no other RB on the roster has. Hope he keeps getting more snaps each week.
    Just looked up his pro day numbers. 4.37 40 time and 42" vertical. Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Just looked up his pro day numbers. 4.37 40 time and 42" vertical. Nice...
    Sweet specially the 4.37.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Sweet specially the 4.37.
    And the 21 bench press reps. at 205 that's beastly. If he had a combine invite he probably would have killed it and been drafted in rd 3, he's definitely got elite athleticism

And the 21 bench press reps. at 205 that's beastly. If he had a combine invite he probably would have killed it and been drafted in rd 3, he's definitely got elite athleticism
    I don't bench anymore and dumbbell press but would be lucky to get 205 for 3 reps. Of course I'm old though. That is pretty good for a rb.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They need to stop trying to run Snell outside...

Amen. But the defense we play correctly things Snell is an in between the tackles runner. He's just not quickness's or fast enough to beat a linebacker to the corner. Whyte on the other hand can do that.

Perhaps our best prue running back and the man best suited to hit chain moving big plays is Whyte. I hope he gets the ball 10 times a game.

If we are up two score late, sure let Snell pound it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Amen. But the defense we play correctly things Snell is an in between the tackles runner. He's just not quickness's or fast enough to beat a linebacker to the corner. Whyte on the other hand can do that.

Perhaps our best prue running back and the man best suited to hit chain moving big plays is Whyte. I hope he gets the ball 10 times a game.

If we are up two score late, sure let Snell pound it.
    Snell's best attribute is that he is a very good closer.

I don't bench anymore and dumbbell press but would be lucky to get 205 for 3 reps. Of course I'm old though. That is pretty good for a rb.
    I just got back in the gym recently, always weighed around 165 and at my best could do 12 reps at 225. But that was when i was a lot younger lol

Member Array title="jens.karlsson.14 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Whyte is the best RB on this roster.. Give him to end of year and everybody will know it.
    Whyte
    Snell
    Connor
    Sam

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Edmunds is the most logical guy to sit. His skil-set is replicated by multiple other, better RBs AND his pass protection is poor.
    Yes, but haven’t they been using him as a full back on occasion? And it would suck if he didn’t get a hat for the Edmunds Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by jens.karlsson.14 View Post
    Whyte is the best RB on this roster.. Give him to end of year and everybody will know it.
    Whyte
    Snell
    Connor
    Sam

Not sure about that, he's probably the biggest potential for a big play threat, but I wouldn't want to count on him to protect the QB like Conner or Snell yet. Conner is our best RB when healthy (I know, but when is that?)

With that said, I think Whyte is really good and should get more touches. If he can catch, I want to see some dump offs to him and see if defenses can tackle him in the open field

Not sure about that, he's probably the biggest potential for a big play threat, but I wouldn't want to count on him to protect the QB like Conner or Snell yet. Conner is our best RB when healthy (I know, but when is that?)

With that said, I think Whyte is really good and should get more touches. If he can catch, I want to see some dump offs to him and see if defenses can tackle him in the open field
    I want to see him use in the passing game as well.

C'mon he can catch, what i said he's the best RB. R U N N I NG back

C'mon he can catch, what i said he's the best RB. R U N N I NG back

Nobody is saying he can't, we just want to seem him use in the passing game. Could be a good weapon at that and hope Fichtner gets him involved.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I had wondered about Whyte and where he came from and had never bothered to read about him. Pre-draft visitor, so we can see the Steelers returning to a pattern of obtaining players to fill in-season needs that they have already scouted -- https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/20...rith-whyte-jr/

And other write-ups about him were mostly positive and interestingly enough, was stuck behind Devin Singletary in college. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kerrit...c-a47313a7d28d -- so maybe he gets extra motivated tomorrow?

But from these two write-ups I think there are two reasons we do not and may not see Whyte in the passing game: pass protection - he stinks at it and route running - he doesn't know any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I had wondered about Whyte and where he came from and had never bothered to read about him. Pre-draft visitor, so we can see the Steelers returning to a pattern of obtaining players to fill in-season needs that they have already scouted -- https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/20...rith-whyte-jr/

And other write-ups about him were mostly positive and interestingly enough, was stuck behind Devin Singletary in college. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kerrit...c-a47313a7d28d -- so maybe he gets extra motivated tomorrow?

But from these two write-ups I think there are two reasons we do not and may not see Whyte in the passing game: pass protection - he stinks at it and route running - he doesn't know any.
    Thanks for the articles and will read them tomorrow! So basically you are saying he is a one trick pony? Makes sense then he is not involved in the passing game then.

Thanks for the articles and will read them tomorrow! So basically you are saying he is a one trick pony? Makes sense then he is not involved in the passing game then.
    Close. What the observers seem to think is that he is raw at anything but running fast. Needs time, coaching, and scheme to get him up to par in the passing game. Steelers specifically have demonstrated a high percentage chance of bolting RBs to the bench that do not perform well in pass protection. They also have a good track record of making their RBs really really good in pass protection. Conner and Bell were/are both excellent and they have made great strides with Samuels and to a (much) lesser extent Edmunds.

Whyte looks like a guy with a contrasting skill set to every other RB on the roster. And if the biggest reason you didn't play a lot in college was because you are not better than Singletary, no shame in that. I think it was a great job of the Steelers identifying a guy pre-draft and then keeping tabs on him over the course of the season.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Whyte
    Snell
    Connor
    Sam

And you know this from his 90 career yards??

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So which one is it - is he going to be the next Willie Parker, or is he going to run through arm tackles and be hard for DBs to bring down?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And you know this from his 90 career yards??
    No, i don't know anything, but i like him over the others. Downhill, fast, yards per carry. Connor is good but injury prone, Samuels, naah, Snell is good and I would have him and Whyte getting most of the playing time

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    And it would suck if he didn’t get a hat for the Edmunds Bowl.
    The “smart” thing to do would be to sit Trey. (He’s not one of the best 53.)

The “coach” thing to do would be to give Trey a helmet, and let him have his 15 minutes on the national stage as the announcers talk about the THREE Edmunds brothers playing in the same game.

SUMMATION:
    People will trash Tomlin for this “unsmart” move, bit it’s the kind of move that gets his players to run through walls for him.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The “smart” thing to do would be to sit Trey. (He’s not one of the best 53.)

The “coach” thing to do would be to give Trey a helmet, and let him have his 15 minutes on the national stage as the announcers talk about the THREE Edmunds brothers playing in the same game.

SUMMATION:
    People will trash Tomlin for this “unsmart” move, bit it’s the kind of move that gets his players to run through walls for him.
    Give him 1 series and 1 carry tonight and then bench him the rest of the season.

Or do what coach Noll would’ve done and cut him right before the game.