Thread: Troy Polamalu did not make the ALL Time top 100 list.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Troy Polamalu did not make the ALL Time top 100 list.

Am I missing something?

This guy was a one man wrecking crew for 10 years. Is this fair to call a snub?

insult to injury they put Ed Reed his counter part from the same era in.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Troy Polamalu did not make the ALL Time top 100 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Am I missing something?

This guy was a one man wrecking crew for 10 years. Is this fair to call a snub?

insult to injury they put Ed Reed his counter part from the same era in.
    I thought I heard that Donnie Shell was in. That’s great and all, but it’s weird that Shell, who isn’t in the HOF, would get in, and Troy, who will no doubt be a first ballot HOFer, gets snubbed.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I’m wrong about Donnie Shell, but I swear I heard it on a podcast. Maybe they were talking about some other list.

I just know they mentioned him because they also noted how, based on being on whatever list, it’s weird that he’s not in the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Troy doesn't care about stuff like that. It's refreshing in a "Me" society

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-team-sport/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah you are missing something. This panel of "experts" is choosing to snub all-time greats drafted after 2000 in favor of some more obscure and/or less deserving players from far back in football's history. It's not just Polamalu, Adrian Peterson, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Darelle Revis were also shafted. Polamalu getting the shaft is confirmation anyone needs that this list is a joke and should not be taken seriously

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who’s the undeserving old school player to drop?

It is an interesting argument but not if can’t back it up with anything specific.

I was shocked that Troy P wasn’t on the list, but I am having a hard time saying that there is a player who did make it who is all that much lesser of a player than Polamalu.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'll take this as a case of "too many Steelers"

Troy is a top three safety of all time Imo, He was fun to watch, and he did so much for this defense. I'll always go back to the 2009 season when he missed a lot of time due to injury to show the type of impact he had on games.

Also, just show the highlights of his tackle vs Denver(2005?), diving one handed interception vs the Chargers, also the diving INT vs Philly, also the amazing clutch interception vs the Ravens in the AFC championship which sent the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

Nonsense he isn't in the top 100.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 12-07-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Who’s the undeserving old school player to drop?

It is an interesting argument but not if can’t back it up with anything specific.

I was shocked that Troy P wasn’t on the list, but I am having a hard time saying that there is a player who did make it who is all that much lesser of a player than Polamalu.
    Jack Christensen better than Troy? Give me a break. I'm not buying Larry Wilson and Emlen Tunnel were better either

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Jack Christensen better than Troy? Give me a break. I'm not buying Larry Wilson and Emlen Tunnel were better either
    All of those players bonafides are unimpeachable. Wilson basically invented the safety blitz for crying out loud.

I think there are simply more than 100 staggeringly talented NFL players.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

All of those players bonafides are unimpeachable. Wilson basically invented the safety blitz for crying out loud.

Okay, but a guy who played in the 50s didn’t have to deal with the much more complicated offensive passing schemes.

Put Christiansen in Troy’s era... is he better than Troy? Is he a better athlete? Would he play chess with QBs like Troy? I just don’t think it’s possible.

Put Troy in Christiansen’s era and Troy single handedly scores more points than any offense he faces.

Maybe that’s not fair, and by that standard almost no old school players would get in. Fine. I can live with that.

If you want to determine who is the best, the only way to do it is ask who would you take if you had a football team? The first three safeties off the board are Reed, Lott, and Troy (pick your own order). Everyone else comes after.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Troy is a top three safety of all time Imo
    (snip)
    Nonsense he isn't in the top 100.
    Agreed. There are 25 positions on a football team (including ST). Law of averages suggests that there should be 4 strong safeties on the list. Can anyone name 4 better strong safeties than Troy Polamalu?

Even NFL Films would agree. They rate Polamalu as the #4 safety of all time; SS *or* FS. Dude shoulda been on the list.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

...Wilson basically invented the safety blitz for crying out loud.
    But I’d argue that while impressive, it isn’t better.

I don’t know who invented the forward pass, but I’d still bet all my money that Payton Manning was better at it than that guy.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I can't believe people still take these lists seriously. It's all subjective opinion.

For example, my personal opinion is that Dan Marino was the best QB I've ever seen. However, I also know that next to nobody will agree with me on that due to the "rings" argument (and that's fine - like I said, it's all subjective opinion). To which I would also kindly defer to the link posted upthread by Shoes regarding Polamalu and his "it's a team sport" argument.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It was once stated that Troy could have played in any era. You cannot say that about all of the players on that list.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I can't believe people still take these lists seriously. It's all subjective opinion.
    Also an excellent point. Any list that doesn't include Polamalu as a top 100 player should, logically, be disregarded as subjective opinion and thus should not be taken seriously.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    But I’d argue that while impressive, it isn’t better.

I don’t know who invented the forward pass, but I’d still bet all my money that Payton Manning was better at it than that guy.
    Not better but on equal footing. When Troy played he did things no one had seen before. So did the others on the list.

Point is, as others said, you can make an argument for many guys. They picked like 6.

I’m okay with Troy on or off the list. He’s still the best safety I ever saw play.

Doesn’t mean the others weren’t amazing as well.

Gotta remember that if you drop dudes from other eras into today, be sure to upgrade their training and fitness to modern standards. Like imagine Gale Sayers on a modern training regiment?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

For example, my personal opinion is that Dan Marino was the best QB I've ever seen. However, I also know that next to nobody will agree with me on that due to the "rings" argument (and that's fine - like I said, it's all subjective opinion). To which I would also kindly defer to the link posted upthread by Shoes regarding Polamalu and his "it's a team sport" argument.
    Can someone post the top 100?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Can someone post the top 100?
    https://www.nfl.com/100/all-time-team/

https://www.nfl.com/100/all-time-team/roster

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I would agree on both points. The top 100 is nothing more than some so-called-experts opinions. These are the same people who have turned their noses up at L.C. Greenwood and Donnie Shell for years. Peter King is the biggest reason for keeping both of those guys out of the HOF because he is biased and more importantly full of shit.

Dan was the Greatest of all time INHO and the exception to the rings theory. What coulda been had we drafted him.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Not better but on equal footing. When Troy played he did things no one had seen before. So did the others on the list.

Point is, as others said, you can make an argument for many guys. They picked like 6.

I’m okay with Troy on or off the list. He’s still the best safety I ever saw play.

Doesn’t mean the others weren’t amazing as well.

Gotta remember that if you drop dudes from other eras into today, be sure to upgrade their training and fitness to modern standards. Like imagine Gale Sayers on a modern training regiment?
    Exactly!!!

Or imagine Brady or Manning having to take hits like Y.A.Title and blood streaming down their heads. I doubt either would have lasted long under those conditions.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Troy Polamalu did not make the ALL Time top 100 list.

These links just go to the gamepass sign up. What’s going on with these links lately? Does NFL have some sort of block on them?

Maybe some glitch with Tapatalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I wouldn’t consider it a robbery. Just short of a snub IMO. By the same token if he’d been named, he’d belong.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I totally agree. Lots more than 100 great NFL players, in fact there are 326 members of the Hall of Fame currently. So not shocking that some great players will get left off the list and even less shocking that some fans will feel hurt because of it, despite it having zero bearing on their daily lives.

Troy was great, but IMO Ronnie Lott likely represents the modern era at SS, while Ed Reed the FS position of the modern era. Its a subjective list like FS76 says.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If you are making a list of the Top-100 DBs in NFL history, Troy Polamalu makes that list...lol. There’s plenty of players that can be removed from a list for a talent like Polamalu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

So far, the All Snub team has...

Troy Polamalu
    LaDainian Tomlinson

If I was starting a team of All Time greats, those are two of the “top 5” (let alone top 100) that I’d want on my roster.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Yeah, but how many of them got a Head & Shoulders commercial? That is a much shorter list.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If you are making a list of the Top-100 DBs in NFL history, Troy Polamalu makes that list...lol. There’s plenty of players that can be removed from a list for a talent like Polamalu.
    No doubt. Teams specifically game planned for him. Peyton and Tahmmy have specifically said on numerous occasions that if you didn't know where he was on the field he would kill you, and even sometimes when you did know where he was.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

bull dookie