Thread: The Steven Nelson Thread

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Steven Nelson Thread

Maybe the most under-appreciated, unrecognized member of the defense and probably one of the biggest reasons the defense has been successful.

It’s always Minkah and Bush is the reason the defense is improved. He’s never really mentioned in the great job Tomlin and Colbert are doing at the moment with the roster.

Not sure what his PFF “grade” looks like but there’s not a lot of breakdowns on his side of the field.

Thoughts on Nelson?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Steven Nelson Thread

I've hear he hasn't surrendered a TD all year (don't know if anyone can confirm that or not). He does seem to have shored up the no. 2 CB spot which had been dreadful for the last few years

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

2011-14 Ike Taylor
    Cortez Allen
    Brice McCain
    Anwton/Valentino Blake
    Cockring
    Burnt
    Willie Gay

Nelson has been a great FA pickup after the previous CBs

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I've hear he hasn't surrendered a TD all year (don't know if anyone can confirm that or not). He does seem to have shored up the no. 2 CB spot which had been dreadful for the last few years
    I'd even say he's the #1 CB over Haden. If Ike Taylor knew how to catch he would be a Hall of Famer. That dude was a good cover corner but had hands of stone.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He has been lock down all season. He got his big contract and did not stop working.

The whole CB group is good. Sutton also has played good when he's on the field. Hopefully they can develop Layne. He's a big corner with a lot of 'raw' upside.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I've said it before, but I will mention it again. Nelson is doing so well, that teams appear to be throwing at Joe Haden on purpose. I mean Haden is not what he once was, but he is still really darn good.

In the Seattle game, Nelson put on a clinic against Metcalf. Giving up a ton of size and he still just absolutely blanketed the WR using every technical trick in the bag.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Offenses are staying away from Nelson and going after Haden, which in turn allows the latter to make a lot more plays. They have to throw the ball somewhere, but there’s no where to throw it to.

Test Nelson you get nothing. Go over the middle, Bush and Fitzpatrick will pick you off. So the only viable solution is Joe Haden, or Mark Barron.

You can’t really ask for much more out of a secondary (besides Barron’s liability).

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don’t think Nelson gets enough respect amongst the general population, but I believe most Steelers fans have been paying attention to his impact.

Unlike last year, this year’s acquisitions have been spectacular across the board. I guess maybe Barron has been a bit underwhelming, but overall... seriously, from Nelson, to the trade up for Bush, to Minkah... what a job by Colbert & co.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I read a tweet that listed the top 5 cornerbacks based on completion percentages against them.

Nelson was #2 (and has given up 1 TD).

Haden was #4 (and has given up 3 TDs).

SUMMATION:
    Yep... good thread/good points.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Oh... and the responses to that aforementioned tweet were salty.

Chiefs fans blaming him for losing the AFCCG... Browns fans saying that OBJ scored that TD on him... Steelers fans bashing Colbert for signing him (instead of the guy who was #1 on the list)... et cetera...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Oh... and the responses to that aforementioned tweet were salty.

Chiefs fans blaming him for losing the AFCCG... Browns fans saying that OBJ scored that TD on him... Steelers fans bashing Colbert for signing him (instead of the guy who was #1 on the list)... et cetera...

Some fans...….

This defense is playing great football right now. I'll roll with who we got!

The organization did a great job putting these pieces in place.

Who the hell isn't happy with the way the defense is playing? In today's NFL, it's hard to play defense much better than they're playing right now.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Nelson has been a technician since he was drafted and a guy that plays with great competitiveness and motor. His only downside was lack of height IMO. I was hoping the Steelers would take him in the 3rd round in 2015, but they already drafted Senquez Golson in the 2nd.

If anybody can find some film on him from the Senior Bowl, you see that he was just in the WR's faces all week. Happy he eventually made it to the B&G.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Dude quietly balled out this season.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

One of the best FA pickups of the decade.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I don't know where he came from, it just seemed like he appeared and has been playing great. Fantastic football player.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don't know where he came from, it just seemed like he appeared and has been playing great. Fantastic football player.

It's hard not to like a guy that just does his job and does it very well. He doesn't seem to try to call attention to himself. He just balls out.

Awesome free agent pickup and a quality team guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's hard not to like a guy that just does his job and does it very well. He doesn't seem to try to call attention to himself. He just balls out.

Awesome free agent pickup and a quality team guy.
    He will be the one people forget when they say how bad Colbert’s free agent signings are...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

And he's only 26!!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

......and the Chiefs let him go.....why?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    ......and the Chiefs let him go.....why?
    Their DC wanted to clean house (change of system) as far as I know (My brother's a chiefs fan). Worked out for us, he's been great this year.