Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devlin Hodges, champion duck-caller, shit-talker extraordinaire

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Devlin Hodges, champion duck-caller, shit-talker extraordinaire

’I’m finna shred y’all, watch this, Bud’

He may not be the most interesting man in the world (some may think so), but Devlin Hodges may just be the most confident. He’s a rookie undrafted free agent quarterback out of Samford who trash talks the starting defense while running the scout team. That’s balls. That’s Devlin Hodges ...

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/bu...me-in-the-eye/

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Re: Devlin Hodges, champion duck-caller, shit-talker extraordinaire

So he's a 'shit talker extraordinaire' because he made one comment to Dupree during practice? lol... okay.

So far Duck is the best Quackerback we've had on the field this season and I hope his confidence continues to grow.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JnK View Post
    So he's a 'shit talker extraordinaire' because he made one comment to Dupree during practice? lol... okay.

So far Duck is the best Quackerback we've had on the field this season and I hope his confidence continues to grow.
    I think it's fantastic, don't get me wrong. It shows he's got the confidence to hang at the NFL level and throw it in the face of one of the scariest OLBs in the NFL right now. I love this article.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Sounds like he's just having some fun. I mean, he knows Bud's not gonna knock him on his ass given the chance. Can't see him doing it in an actual game... Tha'd be pretty dumb.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dupree said in another interview that "Duck be killing us in practice, man". If there's any truth to that, he's moving the ball on one of the best defenses in the league. I know it's just practice, but as the QB on the scout team, he's gotten a lot of reps against our starting D, which maybe prepared him well for live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Sounds like he's just having some fun. I mean, he knows Bud's not gonna knock him on his ass given the chance. Can't see him doing it in an actual game... Tha'd be pretty dumb.

True, I also liked the fact that every time he completed a pass, he looked Bud in the eyes as if to say, "See, told you!"

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

Yeah, I think “shit talking” really just means having fun and being confident.

I think it helps win the hearts and minds of his teammates. Winning probably helps more though.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Shit talker? Joey Porter was a master...talking some
    Nonsense in practice is hardly a shit talker. Another gem from Matt...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    I think it's fantastic, don't get me wrong. It shows he's got the confidence to hang at the NFL level and throw it in the face of one of the scariest OLBs in the NFL right now. I love this article.
    Um, Bud is one of the scariest OLBs in the NFL? When did he turn into James Harrison?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Um, Bud is one of the scariest OLBs in the NFL? When did he turn into James Harrison?
    If Dupree played when those Harrison hits on QBs were legal he'd be a monster. Dude's 270 and plenty fast for someone his size

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    If Dupree played when those Harrison hits on QBs were legal he'd be a monster. Dude's 270 and plenty fast for someone his size
    Harrison was scary because of his size and could lift weights like a power lifter.Plus he had that don't F with me look in his eyes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

With a win Duck will be the first undrafted rookie to win three games in a row since 1987...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    With a win Duck will be the first undrafted rookie to win three games in a row since 1987...
    Who was the last one?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Who was the last one?
    Ed Rubbert, Washington in 1987.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I wonder if it’s even more unprecedented than that. Duck wasn’t just undrafted, he was undrafted and UNSIGNED.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Was that the strike year as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Was that the strike year as well?
    Yeah it was. So scrubs vs. scrubs. That puts a big asterisk next to Rubbert's accomplishment.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yeah it was. So scrubs vs. scrubs. That puts a big asterisk next to Rubbert's accomplishment.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

For me, this just highlights how exceptional our o line and defense are. Not hating on the Duck, but he's not putting this team on his shoulders and carrying them to victory. It's the defense that's making it happen.
    Pretty remarkable that an offense with skill players ranging from scrubs to average is capable of moving the ball at all, yet they're doing it. I credit our o line for that.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Those scrubs help Washington win a Superbowl that year. Sad they didn't give them a ring. Anyways there is a great 30 for 30 EP on it!

Pretty sure Dallas players cave after a few weeks and they had most of their regular players. Redskins still beat them with their scrubs. Again there is a 30 for 30 on it and one of my favorite 30 for 30.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    For me, this just highlights how exceptional our o line and defense are. Not hating on the Duck, but he's not putting this team on his shoulders and carrying them to victory. It's the defense that's making it happen.
    Pretty remarkable that an offense with skill players ranging from scrubs to average is capable of moving the ball at all, yet they're doing it. I credit our o line for that.
    I don't agree. At least not for O line. This was the same O line behind witch Mason was getting sacked and kept getting hit when he'd pass the ball. Something has changed, and it's not the O Line.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Those scrubs help Washington win a Superbowl that year. Sad they didn't give them a ring. Anyways there is a great 30 for 30 EP on it!
    They got rings finally last year

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't agree. At least not for O line. This was the same O line behind witch Mason was getting sacked and kept getting hit when he'd pass the ball. Something has changed, and it's not the O Line.
    That's just the difference between Duck and Rudolph. Duck is willing to take deep shots to 1 on 1 matchups, Rudolph wasn't. The threat changes the behavior of defenses, making them less aggressive.
    Again, not hating on the Duck. He's doing enough to win, but he'd be hard pressed to accomplish anything on a team without this o- line and defense.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I still remember Joe Montana signing autographs for a bunch of the 49ers' "scabs" when the '87 strike ended.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rubbert started the 3rd game in a MNF game vs the Crygirls. Some of the Crygirls crossed the picket line (Too Tall Jones, Randy White, Tony Dorsett) so the Skins had no business thinking they were going to win.

Rubbert gets hurt and a convicted felon, Tony Robinson, takes over and leads the scabs to a victory over Dallas.

After the strike finishes, Robinson goes and finishes the rest of his sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    They got rings finally last year

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8
    Glad to hear that and think they deserved them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    That's just the difference between Duck and Rudolph. Duck is willing to take deep shots to 1 on 1 matchups, Rudolph wasn't. The threat changes the behavior of defenses, making them less aggressive.
    Again, not hating on the Duck. He's doing enough to win, but he'd be hard pressed to accomplish anything on a team without this o- line and defense.
    Any QB would be hardpressed to accomplish anything without a decent to good o line and defense. The fact Duck is will to take deep shots on one-on-one matchups means the QB is making life easier for the O line. The fact that he's quicker to diagnose a defense and pull the trigger also means he is making life easier for the O line. This o line struggles to win in the trenches on 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2. While they are a bit above average, they most definitely are not a top-tier line. Are they helping Duck? Sure. But not any more than any other average to good O line would help their QB.