Thread: TE is a QB's Best Friend??

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Question TE is a QB's Best Friend??

Whatever happened to the TE being the QB's best friend? This team has 312 yards to TEs all season -- 26 yards a game. If any offense/QB needed some help from the TE, this one does? Vannet and McD are serviceable and capable of more. What would really be nice is an elite pass catching TE in the draft next year. But would we even utilize him effectively?

Why isn't this team, with backup QBs, utilizing the safety blanket of the TE?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: TE is a QB's Best Friend??

I suspect it is because the first back-up QB to get some run this season never made it through his reads to the TE and if he did, declined to throw it into coverage to the TE.

Hodges already looked McDonald's way more in one game than Rudolph did in any 2 games prior.

Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Rudolph would glance at the #1 receiver and then immediately panic and dump it to the running back, skipping all the other reads including the TE.

Or, if he didn't immediately dump it, he would progress S-L-O-W-L-Y through the other WRs and rarely make it to the tight end. Overall just a bad situation for them, having to do more with the QB than anything else.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

That ended when Miller retired. Top QB & top TE will always be money in the bank.
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

--Richard Feynmann

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I suspect it is because the first back-up QB to get some run this season never made it through his reads to the TE and if he did, declined to throw it into coverage to the TE.

Hodges already looked McDonald's way more in one game than Rudolph did in any 2 games prior.
    4 targets for 28 yards?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    4 targets for 28 yards?
    I thought it was more than that.

Believe it or not, he has been targeted on almost 12% of passes attempted by Steelers QBs in 2019 - -https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2019.htm

Which is actually MORE than last season (around 10%) -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2018.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I thought it was more than that.

Believe it or not, he has been targeted on almost 12% of passes attempted by Steelers QBs in 2019 - -https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2019.htm

Which is actually MORE than last season (around 10%) -- https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/pit/2018.htm
    Watching Rudolph for the Vikings last night made me realize how much we're missing in this offense without a playmaking TE.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Jay Samuels is a TE
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Jay Samuels is a TE
    I’d actually love it if they put 25 pounds on him and moved him to TE.

One bad JuJu Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Tight ends against Arizona are catching like 75% of balls being thrown their way, 13 tds so far this year and have almost 1000 yards. Interestingly enough the Seahawks are the second worst at defending TE's and Vance caught two TD's that day with MR throwing it. So expect Vance to have a good day on Sunday.

We still need to draft a good one though. Poor Shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Tight ends against Arizona are catching like 75% of balls being thrown their way, 13 tds so far this year and have almost 1000 yards. Interestingly enough the Seahawks are the second worst at defending TE's and Vance caught two TD's that day with MR throwing it. So expect Vance to have a good day on Sunday.

We still need to draft a good one though. Poor Shoes.
    I think you might need to send this memo to Fichtner so he’s aware of the trend.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Taperiots are in the same boat: they have the fewest targets, completions, etc. to a TE in the entire league. In turn, the Texans could focus on doubling Edelman and putting a CB in White.

Luckily for the Steelers, McDonald is actually a very good TE (much better than anyone on the Taperiots roster). It’s just a matter of getting the ball to him... and, I do not mean via bubble screens.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I’d actually love it if they put 25 pounds on him and moved him to TE.

certainly has the hands but doesnt have the height to add 25 pounds and you want that LONG target at TE he just isnt gonna grow any taller ..

but man he has some nice hands and speed along with nifty moves for a TE
    Follow me on Twitter @Dwinsgames

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has much to be proud of"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

I think it's more of a quarterback issue than a TE issue. McDonald didn't just go from Mike Ditka 2.0 last year, steamrolling and stiff-arming defenders into a guy stealing a paycheck overnight. What changed? He doesn't have a HOF QB feeding him the ball on time, in space when he can do all of his YAC magic.

If Vance was pedestrian with Ben under center, then I'd be really concerned. It sucks, because the one year this guy finally stays healthy - Ben goes on the shelf. TE#2 or #3 can be upgraded, but that can be done on day 2 or even day 3. This team has much more pressing needs than TE, IMO. WR, RB, LG, ILB all seem like bigger holes to fill than TE in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    certainly has the hands but doesnt have the height to add 25 pounds and you want that LONG target at TE he just isnt gonna grow any taller ..

but man he has some nice hands and speed along with nifty moves for a TE
    I tend to think we create the rigid job requirements for positions that need to be re-evaluated. Just like the belief that QBs had to be at least 6’2”. The bottom line is that talent wins the day.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a glorious beacon of light">

Whatever happened to the TE being the QB's best friend? This team has 312 yards to TEs all season -- 26 yards a game. If any offense/QB needed some help from the TE, this one does? Vannet and McD are serviceable and capable of more. What would really be nice is an elite pass catching TE in the draft next year. But would we even utilize him effectively?

Why isn't this team, with backup QBs, utilizing the safety blanket of the TE?
    Our TE's are blocking, and because we aren't using play action are often left out of the passing game. Samules or a back who can catch is the QB's best friend.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    . . . If Vance was pedestrian with Ben under center, then I'd be really concerned. It sucks, because the one year this guy finally stays healthy - Ben goes on the shelf. TE#2 or #3 can be upgraded, but that can be done on day 2 or even day 3. This team has much more pressing needs than TE, IMO. WR, RB, LG, ILB all seem like bigger holes to fill than TE in the offseason.
    I think we are fine at ILB and RB. We will need to start retooling our OL soon, but honestly if we keep this core intact with a couple replacements/upgrades, next year could be our year with Ben back and this defense improving on this year.
    I think we beat Seattle, the 49ers and the Ravens with Ben under center this season and this defense.