Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TE is a QB's Best Friend??

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: TE is a QB's Best Friend??

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Do you think that fear of making mistakes comes from pressure of the situation? Just the nature of competing in a results based environment and when he makes one mistake, he feels the pressure not to make another?
    I honestly don't know. It is just a feeling I have and I can't point to anything. Other than the fact that at college, he typically had no problem just airing the ball out and being aggressive. His first preseason, he seemed to be similar. This preseason and into the season, he seemed to be overly conscious of doing something "safe" with the ball. Maybe the coaching got in his head and he turned "It is okay to punt and trust your defense." into "If you turn the ball over your terrible and letting everyone down."? I got no idea, but for a handful of downs against the Jets he looked like a totally different guy. Decisive. Aggressive. And willing to challenge defenders. That version of Mason Rudolph is intriguing moving forward. The version from the other parts of the season, not very interesting as a current NFL prospect/player or a QB that makes me think positively about his development.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I honestly don't know. It is just a feeling I have and I can't point to anything. Other than the fact that at college, he typically had no problem just airing the ball out and being aggressive. His first preseason, he seemed to be similar. This preseason and into the season, he seemed to be overly conscious of doing something "safe" with the ball. Maybe the coaching got in his head and he turned "It is okay to punt and trust your defense." into "If you turn the ball over your terrible and letting everyone down."? I got no idea, but for a handful of downs against the Jets he looked like a totally different guy. Decisive. Aggressive. And willing to challenge defenders. That version of Mason Rudolph is intriguing moving forward. The version from the other parts of the season, not very interesting as a current NFL prospect/player or a QB that makes me think positively about his development.
    I think that he has poor footwork and that causes inaccurate throws. I posted a Matt Canada video in another thread that shows at approx. 1:45 mark what happens when you don't have your feet and shoulders pointing in the right direction and you either open up and throw with all arm and no leg drive, or step too wide and become inaccurate. I am optimistic that a full time QB coach like Canada will help his development.

I think a pass catching TE is good to have, but if your footwork is bad, then what good is it if a TE is open and you cant throw an accurate football to him? We have to hope that Ben comes back healthy and can finish off a good year or 2 of his career and a TE like Vannett can help IMO. I also think we will see a bunch of decent TE's at the Senior Bowl who are 2nd -4th round prospects.

As for Rudolph, this week 9 performance was decent. He threw footballs into some tight windows, but I still see him throwing off his back foot too much and finishing on his tiptoes of the left foot. Not a good position of balance and weight transfer. I think whoever the Steelers have as young QB's, Matt Canada is going to help a lot.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Based on his college highlights, preseason and few flashes during the regular season, I’m hopeful a QB coach can help him get better.. Sometimes a QB coach can help a young QB develop some poise and confidence through improved technique- it’s certainly worth a try as the Steelers seem to think so. It’ll be interesting to see if the Steelers still pickup a vet QB, I think they will as Tomlin might have alluded to.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think that he has poor footwork and that causes inaccurate throws. I posted a Matt Canada video in another thread that shows at approx. 1:45 mark what happens when you don't have your feet and shoulders pointing in the right direction and you either open up and throw with all arm and no leg drive, or step too wide and become inaccurate. I am optimistic that a full time QB coach like Canada will help his development.

I think a pass catching TE is good to have, but if your footwork is bad, then what good is it if a TE is open and you cant throw an accurate football to him? We have to hope that Ben comes back healthy and can finish off a good year or 2 of his career and a TE like Vannett can help IMO. I also think we will see a bunch of decent TE's at the Senior Bowl who are 2nd -4th round prospects.

As for Rudolph, this week 9 performance was decent. He threw footballs into some tight windows, but I still see him throwing off his back foot too much and finishing on his tiptoes of the left foot. Not a good position of balance and weight transfer. I think whoever the Steelers have as young QB's, Matt Canada is going to help a lot.

Agreed, but too bad just about everyone here ran Mason out of town.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Can we please give the kid a chance to improve before writing him off completely. Like another season.

I still contend that because of his makeup, “who he is,” and that’s not meant as a knock, the Cleveland fiasco sabotaged his progress and set him back big time.

He seems to be a “wholesome” kid, again not meant as a knock, and he just wasn’t mentally ready to deal with the explosive aftermath/media attention.

Let’s see how he responds.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Can we please give the kid a chance to improve before writing him off completely. Like another season.

I still contend that because of his makeup, “who he is,” and that’s not meant as a knock, the Cleveland fiasco sabotaged his progress and set him back big time.

He seems to be a “wholesome” kid, again not meant as a knock, and he just wasn’t mentally ready to deal with the explosive aftermath/media attention.

That's problem everyone expected Mason Mahomes results instantly out of a R3 QB. I don't think Colbert should have been flapping his jaws about having a R1grade on Mason either which gave the torch and pitchfork crew more ammo.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

Well.... his 4 picks came BEFORE his bash in the head...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No. Actually a consistent run game and a stingy defense are a QB's best friends.

The reason top tier NFL TEs are hard to find is because of how much a true NFL TE has to know how to do and do well.
    Run blocking schemes - TEs need to know the playbook from the OL point of view, when to pull, when to engage and release, when to maintain a block inside or outside.
    Pass blocking schemes - Same as run blocking schemes only from pass protection stance.
    Pass catching - TEs need to know 'route trees' from lining up INLINE, OUTSIDE as a WR, from in the BACKFIELD as a RB/blocking back set.

You find a TE that does one of these things or maybe 2 of these things at an NFL elite level and you have your #1 TE. If the TE can do 3 of these at an NFL elite level he's most likely an all-pro. TEs that master 4 or more of these traits are HoF TEs.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You will get no pushback from me on the mechanics stuff. I seem to remember a long pre-draft discussion you led where even my untrained eye could see some mechanical issues with Rudolph. And some of those same things are still present. So there is absolutely no version where a coach to work on those things is a bad idea.

I guess, and this is just me, I don't see a whole lot of "upside" even with a mechanically sound Mason Rudolph. I think the guy seems to be an excellent leader, it really seemed like the team believed in him and the other players were solidly on his side. But I just don't see where he ever ends up as "playoff winning QB". I seriously wonder if he is on the Sam Bradford career track. Racked up big time states in college and then was just never able to translate it to the pros.

But I do allow that it is entirely possible that Rudolph emerges from this off-season under increased tutelage as a different and vastly improved QB. I just do not think it is probable.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Whatever happened to the TE being the QB's best friend? This team has 312 yards to TEs all season -- 26 yards a game. If any offense/QB needed some help from the TE, this one does? Vannet and McD are serviceable and capable of more. What would really be nice is an elite pass catching TE in the draft next year. But would we even utilize him effectively?

Why isn't this team, with backup QBs, utilizing the safety blanket of the TE?
    Yes and No. We have not had a good Tight End since Heath Miller. These days a dynamic back who can run and catch is the QB's best friend. We had neither last season.

Having said that I'm okay with a TE in rounds 2-4 IF he's worth it.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Yes and No. We have not had a good Tight End since Heath Miller. These days a dynamic back who can run and catch is the QB's best friend. We had neither last season.

Having said that I'm okay with a TE in rounds 2-4 IF he's worth it.
    James Conner, but yeah the dude can't stay healthy. Would like to see them use Whyte in the passing game. 4.3 speed in the open field can be useful and all, not to mention he runs pretty hard for a smaller back.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I like Jared Pinkney.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I like Jared Pinkney.
    TE Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt

Jared Pinkney is in the mold of a traditional tight end. He can play inline and is a capable and willing blocker. Pinkney measured in at 6’4” and weighed 254 pounds. His 10 5/8” hands topped the group of tight ends at the Senior Bowl this year.

Pinkney didn’t see a lot of production throughout his four-year career at Vanderbilt. In his senior season, he managed just 20 catches, 233 yards, and 2 touchdowns in 8 games. However, Pinkney possesses a solid set of hands as a receiver, and is an established run blocker.

With an aging Vance McDonald and Nick Vannett no longer under contract, the Steelers need some help at tight end, and Pinkney fits the bill of what they typically look for in the position.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/22/...020-nfl-draft/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    TE Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt

Jared Pinkney is in the mold of a traditional tight end. He can play inline and is a capable and willing blocker. Pinkney measured in at 6’4” and weighed 254 pounds. His 10 5/8” hands topped the group of tight ends at the Senior Bowl this year.

Pinkney didn’t see a lot of production throughout his four-year career at Vanderbilt. In his senior season, he managed just 20 catches, 233 yards, and 2 touchdowns in 8 games. However, Pinkney possesses a solid set of hands as a receiver, and is an established run blocker.

With an aging Vance McDonald and Nick Vannett no longer under contract, the Steelers need some help at tight end, and Pinkney fits the bill of what they typically look for in the position.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/22/...020-nfl-draft/
    Pinkney looked a bit heavier of foot than a lot of the TE's at the Senior Bowl this week. Pinkney skillset reminds me of Jerame Tuman...good blocker, good in the passing game, but not separating himself from defenders.

Brycen Hopkins from Purdue came in at 6'3.5" 241lbs and is a better receiver than Pinkney and a willing blocker. (his father is former O lineman Brad Hopkins). I'd rather Hopkins over Pinkney. I think Dennis Pitta as a comp.

Adam Trautman of Dayton was the big TE winner this past week IMO. 6'5", 251lbs, ran routes like Zach Ertz but better blocker. Crashed down on a DT on a bootleg option play that Shea Patterson ran into the endzone on 11-11.

Harrison Bryant of Florida Atlantic
    looks like a thinner version of Greg Olsen. At 6'4.5" 242lbs he is a bit lighter of frame than Trautman, Pinkney, but showed to be a willing blocker. He may be the best route runner and have the best hands of the TE in the class. He caught a slant at the goal line from Jaylen Hurts in between 2 defenders and it was all hands catch like a WR.

Pinkney looked a bit heavier of foot than a lot of the TE's at the Senior Bowl this week. Pinkney skillset reminds me of Jerame Tuman...good blocker, good in the passing game, but not separating himself from defenders.

Brycen Hopkins from Purdue came in at 6'3.5" 241lbs and is a better receiver than Pinkney and a willing blocker. (his father is former O lineman Brad Hopkins). I'd rather Hopkins over Pinkney. I think Dennis Pitta as a comp.

Adam Trautman of Dayton was the big TE winner this past week IMO. 6'5", 251lbs, ran routes like Zach Ertz but better blocker. Crashed down on a DT on a bootleg option play that Shea Patterson ran into the endzone on 11-11.

Harrison Bryant of Florida Atlantic
    looks like a thinner version of Greg Olsen. At 6'4.5" 242lbs he is a bit lighter of frame than Trautman, Pinkney, but showed to be a willing blocker. He may be the best route runner and have the best hands of the TE in the class. He caught a slant at the goal line from Jaylen Hurts in between 2 defenders and it was all hands catch like a WR.
    Thanks for the report El. I'll have to give Trautman a closer look.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    why, do you like tight ends?

No problem. I think one could make a case that Pinkney is a big TE and can be productive like Ben Watson, but I don't know if a young Ben Watson is productive in 2020 NFL.

I guess it comes down to "what do you want from a TE"?

-If its a better receiver than blocker, then I think its Harrison Bryant and Thaddeus Moss...and to some extent Brycen Hopkins.
    -If you want an all around TE that can block and is a good receiver, but not necessarily elite hands like Bryant, then I think its Adam Trautman
    -If you want a big blocker and sacrifice some speed to get down the seams, but is good in hook/curl, then its Pinkney
    -If you want a big guy to get down the seam, but is not as quick off the line, then Michael Okwubugnam from Mizzou. ( But some concerns that he has bigger plans in life like being a Dr. than playing football and doesn't exactly love the game)

I'm not downgrading Trautman's hands. He has a basketball background and was recruited as a QB to Dayton, but he just doesn't look as natural a pass catcher as Bryant or Stephen Sullivan from LSU. Hopkins might be Vance McDonald maddening, as he makes some fantastic catches, but had a drop rate of 10% in college.

Mel Kiper’s Inaugural 2020 Tight End Draft Rankings:

1. Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
    2. Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt
    3. Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic
    4. Thaddeus Moss, LSU
    5. Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
    6. Hunter Bryant, Washington
    7. Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
    8. Adam Trautman, Dayton
    9. Colby Parkinson, Stanford
    10. Jacob Breeland, Oregon

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

When you don't have a legit no. 1 receiving threat (wr or te), when the o-line is terrible, and when you have the worst OC in the NFL, honestly any QB that isn't elite is screwed. Everyone wants to put the blame entirely on the QB expecting the QB to do it all on his own. How about helping the QB. Hiring a QBs coach instead of having the guy who can't run an offense pull double duty as QBs coach and OC is a start, now they need to rebuild the o-line and add some receiving threats

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    When you don't have a legit no. 1 receiving threat (wr or te), when the o-line is terrible, and when you have the worst OC in the NFL, honestly any QB that isn't elite is screwed. Everyone wants to put the blame entirely on the QB expecting the QB to do it all on his own. How about helping the QB. Hiring a QBs coach instead of having the guy who can't run an offense pull double duty as QBs coach and OC is a start, now they need to rebuild the o-line and add some receiving threats
    Wrong thread for your same stuff.

Mel Kiper’s Inaugural 2020 Tight End Draft Rankings:

1. Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
    2. Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt
    3. Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic
    4. Thaddeus Moss, LSU
    5. Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
    6. Hunter Bryant, Washington
    7. Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
    8. Adam Trautman, Dayton
    9. Colby Parkinson, Stanford
    10. Jacob Breeland, Oregon
    Kmet is also interesting. I believe he decided to join in the draft about a week or two ago and from what I've read he's about the best all-around TE in the draft at this time. I'd be surprised if a TE is picked in R1.

Kmet is also interesting. I believe he decided to join in the draft about a week or two ago and from what I've read he's about the best all-around TE in the draft at this time. I'd be surprised if a TE is picked in R1.
    most mocks I've seen have the first TE being selected by the LA Chargers at #37 in the 2nd round because they will most likely not re-sign Hunter Henry due to his injury concerns.

Steelers Mock Draft: Pittsburgh adds their future starting tight end

by Tommy Jaggi

The Steelers have several needs to fill this offseason. Here’s why I have Pittsburgh going with a tight end in the second round of the NFL Draft:

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/22/...dds-tight-end/

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

What do you think about the Panthers parting ways with Olson? Do you think there’s any way we even think about this with our cap situation? Would we have to cut Mcdonald to find the money... assuming keeping Dupree is our priority?

Or do we think that the Steelers don’t make any moves until after the draft? And by then will Olson be gone?

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    What do you think about the Panthers parting ways with Olson? Do you think there’s any way we even think about this with our cap situation? Would we have to cut Mcdonald to find the money... assuming keeping Dupree is our priority?

Or do we think that the Steelers don’t make any moves until after the draft? And by then will Olson be gone?
    I don't know about the money but I wouldn't waste time or money on Olson. I think Jason Witten will be available also but I can't see the Steelers picking up another high dollar geezer. It's not a super great TE class but I think the Steelers can get the best of this class in R2. That is what I'm hoping for.

I don't know about the money but I wouldn't waste time or money on Olson. I think Jason Witten will be available also but I can't see the Steelers picking up another high dollar geezer. It's not a super great TE class but I think the Steelers can get the best of this class in R2. That is what I'm hoping for.
    who would you pick in Round 2 assuming all the TEs were still available?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

Olsen is washed up. Witten, Olsen, McDonald...they’re all basically in the same category. I’d actually put McDonald above the other two at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

If the overall feeling is this is not a great TE class, that there is no 1 player that clearly rises above the pack at the TE position...why should the Steelers spend a 2nd round pick on a not great player on purpose? Just because there is a position of need does not mean an automatic jump on the best player available at that position if he's still a project. This is a very comparable TE class. I don't think any of these guys are going to WOW the scouts. I would take the most dynamic pass catcher and who cares if he can block at all. And that guy can probably be had in the rounds 4-6.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Olsen is washed up. Witten, Olsen, McDonald...they’re all basically in the same category. I’d actually put McDonald above the other two at this stage.
    -Witten is a "has been".
    -McDonald is a "never was".
    -Olsen is definitely declined, but at 34 years old I think still has good skills to play.

I would try and get a deal done with either Vannett or Olsen. I still think that even at 34 years old Olsen is a better receiver than Vannett. I would then draft a young TE so that he doesn't have to carry the load as a rookie and can learn from one of the great TE's from the past decade. 2 year $8million might be Olsen price tag.

who would you pick in Round 2 assuming all the TEs were still available?
    I would be really surprised if the Steelers go for a TE in R2, but my picks would be #1 Cole Kmet #2 Adam Trautman #3 Harrison Bryant. If we get any of them I'll be happy.