Thread: Should Benny Snell start ahead of Conner?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Should Benny Snell start ahead of Conner?

I honestly think they found a gem in Benny. True he's not as much of a big play threat that Conner is, but he's consistent. If you need him to pick up 3-5 yards consistently, he's your man. He (knock on wood) shows some good ball security and doesn't fumble. He's the guy you want in the game if you need tough yards.

Not to say Conner shouldn't have a role, when he's back, he should get those 12+ touches a game. But it does seem like Snell is what this offense has been missing, a guy who can get those tough yards when needed. My favorite run of the day (or maybe Snell's career so far) has to be the one he broke for a first down when we were backed up on the 1 yard line. I don't know what it is, he's the same size as Conner but seems to be a lot tougher to bring down. He was dragging Cleveland defenders all afternoon.

For those knocking his 40 time, he ran it faster than Priest Holmes and Arian Foster.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Should Benny Snell start ahead of Conner?

I'd like to have Conner as the all- purpose back and Snell as the short yardage/ situational back.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Snell is the kind of back the Steelers need for this time of year, especially with Duck and this Defense. He’s not the flashiest guy, but a guy who gets the hard yards and gets stronger as the game goes on. The Steelers haven’t had a guy like that in years.

Conner is nearly the opposite of Snell. He starts fast then gets weaker as the carries go up, before getting injured.

So I believe Conner should just stick around as the pass catching back. The workhorse should be Snell.

\
    Last edited by Edman; 12-02-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Snell is the kind of back the Steelers need for this time of year, especially with Duck and this Defense. He’s not the flashiest guy, but a guy who gets the hard yards and gets stronger as the game goes on. The Steelers haven’t had a guy like that in years.

Conner is nearly the opposite of Snell. He starts fast then gets weaker as the carries go up, before getting injured.

So I believe Conner should just stick around as the pass catching back. The workhorse should be Snell.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are my exact thoughts. Conner I think is better as the RB2, change of pace guy who's also dangerous in space as a pass catcher. And Snell does seem to get better in the late game + more touches he gets, making him a great closer which is sorely needed for this offense.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He’s a good part of a stable. None of the backs are what I’d consider bell cows. They’re all injury prone. I’m starting to really like Snell though.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I think we just stick with RB by committee and roll with the hot legs, unless we are down by a couple possessions, then Samuels is likely the guy.

I will admit, during the preseason I thought Snell was a wasted pick. He tried to get to the edge and he just isn't fast enough. I still see him try and fail, but not nearly as much. I think he's figured it out though and does a good job of staying vertical. He's probably the best back we have at doing just that.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I think we just stick with RB by committee and roll with the hot legs, unless we are down by a couple possessions, then Samuels is likely the guy.

I will admit, during the preseason I thought Snell was a wasted pick. He tried to get to the edge and he just isn't fast enough. I still see him try and fail, but not nearly as much. I think he's figured it out though and does a good job of staying vertical. He's probably the best back we have at doing just that.
    Felt the same way. Don’t think he can be your go-to back. His lack of speed hurts when you run wide.
    That said, he looks like he can contribute when used to his strengths.

When healthy, Conner still offers more IMO.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I like the idea of y-committee. Connor, Snell, and Samuel have all shown some sort of ability

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Consistency is all I read and I’ll buy that for a dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Conner who is never healthy, should not be counted on unless he's 100% healthy.

Right now it's not about who starts, rather how they are used.

I do not see anything special about Snell. Its backfield by situational football.

Late in the game to run out the clock, or near the end zone, Snell is the man.

For a change of pace, or a chance for a big play, Whyte is the man. Whyte has the best speed and agility, he just goes down too eaisly.

For a passing formation, a screen/ dump off play or the Wildcat formation, Samuels is the man.

Now all the Steelers need to do it figure why these 2nd down runs are not working! Too often its 3rd and long thanks to and on down two when we run it.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Difference between Snell and Conner--- Snell is healthy and able to play on game day. Conner is made of glass, injury prone, undebtable on game days, but good when able to play. I like Conner, but he'd be trade bait in my book. If you can't play when needed, it's called useless.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Snell’s career arc is interesting.

DRAFT DAY: steal, great pick

PRESEASON: cut him!!!

NOW: he should start

FUTURE: somewhere between “bust” and “G.O.A.T.”

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Snell’s career arc is interesting.

DRAFT DAY: steal, great pick

PRESEASON: cut him!!!

NOW: he should start

FUTURE: somewhere between “bust” and “G.O.A.T.”
    Sounds like page 1 of the "Game Day Thread"

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We do not have any one running back on the roster who should be the default choice. Insisting on having one guy who is The Starter with this kind of lineup is exactly how you fuck everything up. We've done that the last several times we had no clear-cut #1 back, so I'm glad to see us not making the same mistake again.

Now, whether that's on purpose because we learned something, or by accident because injuries are forcing our hand is kind of unclear. But I really hope we continue the same approach, because that's the players we've got.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Conner was running against stacked boxes all season, as teams where daring MR to beat them through the air. Duck hits a few downfield shots and they have to loosen up, which gave running lanes to Snell (as Conner was out). I think we will see Conner just as effective as Snell once he is healthy. Snell does run harder though, and it is great watching him drag defenders for several yards. If it were me, I would rest Conner until he was absolutely 100% and ride Snell. Also, I think Samuels is better out of the backfield than either Snell or Conner. The good thing now is we have several options at RB in case of more injuries.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I think Conner was running against stacked boxes all season, as teams where daring MR to beat them through the air. Duck hits a few downfield shots and they have to loosen up, which gave running lanes to Snell (as Conner was out). I think we will see Conner just as effective as Snell once he is healthy. Snell does run harder though, and it is great watching him drag defenders for several yards. If it were me, I would rest Conner until he was absolutely 100% and ride Snell. Also, I think Samuels is better out of the backfield than either Snell or Conner. The good thing now is we have several options at RB in case of more injuries.
    Conner broke down last season with Ben throwing to AB and Juju...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Another thought on Benny Snell Football® ...

A lot of folks around here deride "3 yards and a cloud of dust" as something of an anachronism, but it does still have it's place in the modern game. It's useful for keeping the chains moving on 3rd and manageable, punching the ball in at the goal line, and closing out games. In some instances, even the threat is enough to help open up passes.
    Benny Snell isn't dynamic enough to be an all down back IMO, but he does bring some abilities to the table that can help us win football games; abilities that we have been lacking in recent years. He can take a designed run against a stacked box and turn a stuff or short gain into consistent 3 or 4 yard gains. He can run through a tackle. He can wear out and demoralize a defense. He can force a defense to play the run and set up play action.

Benny Snell is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" power runner, and I'm perfectly okay with that. It's just important to use him when it benefits us and (more importantly) not use him when it doesn't.

That's why I say he should be employed as a situational back while the others should rotate as all- purpose.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Another thought on Benny Snell Football® ...

A lot of folks around here deride "3 yards and a cloud of dust" as something of an anachronism, but it does still have it's place in the modern game. It's useful for keeping the chains moving on 3rd and manageable, punching the ball in at the goal line, and closing out games. In some instances, even the threat is enough to help open up passes.
    Benny Snell isn't dynamic enough to be an all down back IMO, but he does bring some abilities to the table that can help us win football games; abilities that we have been lacking in recent years. He can take a designed run against a stacked box and turn a stuff or short gain into consistent 3 or 4 yard gains. He can run through a tackle. He can wear out and demoralize a defense. He can force a defense to play the run and set up play action.

Benny Snell is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" power runner, and I'm perfectly okay with that. It's just important to use him when it benefits us and (more importantly) not use him when it doesn't.

That's why I say he should be employed as a situational back while the others should rotate as all- purpose.
    What you're mentioning, however, is not the "three yards and a cloud of dust" football I and several others are referring to. What we deride is series after series, watching them go run, run, pass, punt. Run, run, pass, punt. Run, run, pass, run run, pass, punt. It hasn't won us a superbowl since Franco Harris's MVP performance. Every since then, it's been won through the air.

What I would love to see is what you're referring to, and what we had back in 2005/6. Pass the ball, throw in the odd run, get up by a couple of TDs or so, and then grind down the clock with a good run game where they have to respect the pass every play. I mean, I was excited in this last game when I saw them line up in the I formation. So, I'm most-definitely not against it. I am against it as the primary offensive scheme week in and week out with no backup plan if we have to come from behind.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If Conner weren't made of glass it's hands down him.

But if both are healthy to start a game you have to go with Conner simply because of experience and his ability to break bigger plays.

At this point (assuming all are healthy) here's how I break down the Steelers 5 backs:

1. Conner.
    1a. Snell.
    2. Samuels (still use him on 3rd downs because he's the best back out of the backfield at catch/run).
    2a. Whyte.
    3. Edmunds.

As far as situational I agree with early posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    What we deride is series after series, watching them go run, run, pass, punt. Run, run, pass, punt. Run, run, pass, run run, pass, punt. It hasn't won us a superbowl since Franco Harris's MVP performance. Every since then, it's been won through the air.
    Good point.

What I would love to see is what you're referring to, and what we had back in 2005/6. Pass the ball, throw in the odd run, get up by a couple of TDs or so, and then grind down the clock with a good run game where they have to respect the pass every play. I mean, I was excited in this last game when I saw them line up in the I formation. So, I'm most-definitely not against it. I am against it as the primary offensive scheme week in and week out with no backup plan if we have to come from behind.

So what you're really tired of seeing is an ineffective run game I'm shouting from the same rooftop.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Boy, oh boy, I just don't see that. Connor's biggest problem is that every run of his is like he's trying to go through a brick wall (if you can call that a problem). It's his brutal running style that has him on the rack so often, and got his shoulder injured at the end of game in scrub time when he was fighting for two extra yards which at the time were mostly meaningless.

Tomlin has a history of 'running the wheels off' his feature back before discarding them, and Connor looks to be the next guy on that list: Willie Parker, Mendenfumble, Bell (before his hold out), Connor. Connor's already missing one wheel, and a second one is coming loose at the lugnuts. RB by committee looks to be smart play going forward, and you can always replenish that stable with late-round / UDFA types.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Boy, oh boy, I just don't see that. Connor's biggest problem is that every run of his is like he's trying to go through a brick wall (if you can call that a problem). It's his brutal running style that has him on the rack so often, and got his shoulder injured at the end of game in scrub time when he was fighting for two extra yards which at the time were mostly meaningless.

Tomlin has a history of 'running the wheels off' his feature back before discarding them, and Connor looks to be the next guy on that list: Willie Parker, Mendenfumble, Bell (before his hold out), Connor. Connor's already missing one wheel, and a second one is coming loose at the lugnuts. RB by committee looks to be smart play going forward, and you can always replenish that stable with late-round / UDFA types.
    I remember watching/reading a story about Bettis and the same thing. Early in his career he just tried to run over everyone but some veteran back pulled him aside and said it's okay to make a guy miss you here and there otherwise you're not going to last long in this league. Now I'm not saying Bettis didn't truck people, he clearly did in his career, but he also did make people miss which was impressive considering his size.