Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin: Coach of the Year Candidate

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Mike Tomlin: Coach of the Year Candidate

Posted this in response to one of Craig’s posts in another thread:

I don’t think “borrowed time is the word for it”.

Players Missing:

Ben Roethlisberger
    Antonio Brown
    James Conner
    JuJu Smith Schuster
    Maurice Pouncey
    Throw LeVeon Bell in there as well for good measure.

That’s ridiculous that a team missing that talent is still 7-5 and controlling their own destiny for the playoffs...

Is there a coach in the league that is doing more than Tomlin is with less?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Re: Mike Tomlin: Coach of the Year Candidate

Good post. "Playing with house money" finishes that quote. And, Tomlin is a very big reason we are doing so. The fact he broke out the chalk and blackboard at half-time and literally drew up defensive adjustments is just one of those things we usually never hear about but speaks to how good of a coach he actually is.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Doing a great job no doubt but would still take two 1's from the Skins for him lol.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If they get to 10 wins... he's either 1 or 2.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Harbaugh or Shannahan will likely take it. Not sure I agree, but that'll be the way the media narrative goes. Now if the Steelers were to knock the Ravens out in the playoffs....

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The 3 Steeler coaches since 69 have rarely won it. Cowher in 1992 was about it. Noll won smaller awards in 72 and 89. Tomlin never.

Tomlin has his ups and downs but he coaches at his best with adversity. (2010 w/Ben's suspension and 2019 w/Ben's injury).

He should be in the conversation if they make the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

The 3 Steeler coaches since 69 have rarely won it. Cowher in 1992 was about it. Noll won smaller awards in 72 and 89. Tomlin never.

Tomlin has his ups and downs but he coaches at his best with adversity. (2010 w/Ben's suspension and 2019 w/Ben's injury).

He should be in the conversation if they make the playoffs.
    Quoted for Truth. Give him a loaded gun and he'll find a way to miss the target. But give one bullet and he's money.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The 6-seed packers won SB XLV with 16 guys on IR with no HC of the year award. I think I'd wait a while before looking for candidates.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The 6-seed packers won SB XLV with 16 guys on IR with no HC of the year award. I think I'd wait a while before looking for candidates.
    True, but despite all their injuries, the 2010 Packers still had a franchise QB under center, not an undrafted 3rd stringer.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    True, but despite all their injuries, the 2010 Packers still had a franchise QB under center, not an undrafted 3rd stringer.

We had one in that SB game also.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This is the list of injuries to that 2010 Packers team: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0_injuries.htm

Here is a link to the Steelers injuries this year so far: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...9_injuries.htm

To be fair, the Packers didn't lose their starting HOF quarterback in the second game of the year.

I don't think the Packers even sniff the playoffs if Rodgers goes down early in game two of that year.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This is the list of injuries to that 2010 Packers team: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0_injuries.htm

Here is a link to the Steelers injuries this year so far: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...9_injuries.htm

To be fair, the Packers didn't lose their starting HOF quarterback in the second game of the year.

I don't think the Packers even sniff the playoffs if Rodgers goes down early in game two of that year.

I think the Packers had at least 10 defensive players on IR and believe their entire secondary was just about wiped out. I think the media jumps on stuff like this way too fast. I mean if the steelers get past the first playoff game then I would agree. But this is the same sports media that crowned the Browns SB champs before training camp this summer.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

I am NOT a Mike Tomlin fan however you cannot overlook the job he has done without Ben, with that said what did the Steelers FO/coaching staff expect after losing their 2 best offensive weapons? The Steelers did nothing to try and ease the inevitable offensive dropoff

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Whoever decided to bench Rudolph mid-game, and whoever had the balls to make adjustments to the offensive plan in the middle of THIS game, deserves full credit for at least two wins. Those are both very uncharacteristic of Tomlin, so I wonder if it's that new assistant that's supposed to be helping with "challenges and clock management" that convinced him to do it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    I am NOT a Mike Tomlin fan however you cannot overlook the job he has done without Ben, with that said what did the Steelers FO/coaching staff expect after losing their 2 best offensive weapons? The Steelers did nothing to try and ease the inevitable offensive dropoff
    I thought they drafted a WR and RB and pick up a WR in FA that turned out not able to catch.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I know I will be branded a hater for this but let's look at it this way, he still has

The best safety in the game
    One of the best edge rusher's in the game
    A no. 2 edge rusher having a career year for a contract
    A pro bowler on the d-line
    A multiple time pro bowl CB
    The 2nd best defensive rookie this year after Nick Bosa
    And let's not forget 3 pro bowlers on the offensive line (2 of which have played every game and despite this they have regressed)

This team continues to rely on high end talent to bail them out by high end talent just like the last couple years, it's just being bailed out by Minkah and to a lesser extent Bush and Watt instead of Ben and AB.

I think Minkah Fitzpatrick deserves team MVP and DPOY and if he doesn't win both it should be considered highway robbery (even if both awards go to TJ). If Colbert doesn't pull off the Minkah trade they're 3-9 or 4-8 right now everything else remaining constant

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This place is ridiculous sometimes.

Dan Quinn
    Anthony Lynn
    Doug Pedersen
    Jason Garrett
    Freddie Kitchens
    Matt Patricia
    Sean McVay

That’s off the top of my head. But that’s 7 coaches with similar or more roster talent than the 2019 Steelers that didn’t lose their staring QB for the year. But all collapsed and way underperformed expectations.

But, yeah. It’s just the players. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If Colbert doesn't pull off the Minkah trade they're 3-9 or 4-8 right now everything else remaining constant
    So, is this the new go-to argument now that the "Cowher's players" argument is out the window? Besides, it seems to me that more than a few people were ready to tar-and-feather Colbert over the Fitzpatrick trade a few weeks back for "wasting" a first round pick.

And as far as "what ifs" go, if Conner and JuJu avoid a couple of costly fumbles this team is 10-2 (and probably 11-1 if Rudolph doesn't implode during the first Browns game) and the #1 seed in the AFC right now, everything else remaining constant.

I said early on this season that Tomlin should be coaching for his job. IMO, he's earned the right to hold on to it for a bit longer. This team could have very easily collectively said "fuck it" very early in the season and tanked for the highest draft pick possible. They didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Dan Quinn
    Anthony Lynn
    Doug Pedersen
    Jason Garrett
    Freddie Kitchens
    Matt Patricia
    Sean McVay

That’s off the top of my head. But that’s 7 coaches with similar or more roster talent than the 2019 Steelers that didn’t lose their staring QB for the year. But all collapsed and way underperformed expectations.

But, yeah. It’s just the players. LOL.
    Don't forget the ever-wildly inconsistent Ron Rivera, who is another one that is often being held up around here as a better coach than Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I have been tough on Tomlin in the past and I think for good reasons. Losing to lesser teams on a consistent basis, and not going deeper into the playoffs when we do make it. His best years have been with Cowher's players and many times his challenges have left us scratching our heads with questions of WTF.

I am willing to give him credit for what has happened with this team this year. He got rid of a cancer in the off season and while I questioned what we got in return it was the right call. He got rid of other cancers as well and this team seems to be more focused than it has for some time. He stuck with both Boz and Berry when most would have cut them and they have both contributed to our success this year. The 2 QBs who are on the team are complete un-knowns and could have easily cost us much more than they have (knock on wood). Not only that but due to injuries we brought in Whyte and Cain and both contributed in a big way their 1st week here. He had the good sense to let Colbert go after and get Minkah and risk losing a high driaft pick QB. I think maybe he has some faith that his franchise QB will be able to come back again next year without having to panick on finding his replacement.

Handling the off season drama and unifying the team are HUGE add to that the players lost that would crush most teams and we are still in the hunt this late in the season...I will give him credit for what he has done so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Yes the browns are hungry for a win, to bad there's nothing in the Kitchen to feed them.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Media bandwagon filling up for Tomlin after emptying out at the end of last season.

This from the MMQB column this morning

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has taken a team that’s had a 12-car pileup of a quarterback situation and consistent injuries at the skill positions to a 7–5 record and a tie for the sixth playoff spot in the AFC with the Titans. It’s no mistake, either. This is what Tomlin does well: crisis-manage and adapt.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/02/la...qb-nfl-week-13

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I know I will be branded a hater for this but let's look at it this way, he still has

The best safety in the game
    One of the best edge rusher's in the game
    A no. 2 edge rusher having a career year for a contract
    A pro bowler on the d-line
    A multiple time pro bowl CB
    The 2nd best defensive rookie this year after Nick Bosa
    And let's not forget 3 pro bowlers on the offensive line (2 of which have played every game and despite this they have regressed)

This team continues to rely on high end talent to bail them out by high end talent just like the last couple years, it's just being bailed out by Minkah and to a lesser extent Bush and Watt instead of Ben and AB.

I think Minkah Fitzpatrick deserves team MVP and DPOY and if he doesn't win both it should be considered highway robbery (even if both awards go to TJ). If Colbert doesn't pull off the Minkah trade they're 3-9 or 4-8 right now everything else remaining constant
    It is a QB driven league

Please walk me through 5 teams with a worse situation at QB (along with their records) and how swapping out Sean Davis and Ben for Minkah and Rudolph/Duck is a wash

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Tomlin & Company win the award for making the most out of a shit sandwich this year, but unless something changes (we go far in playoffs and 49ers/Ravens do not), they are going to give it to one of them.

On paper, we were a former Super Bowl favorite who disappointed everyone last year, and maybe we will improve by one game over that. While the 49ers were 4-12 and now are among the favorites to win it all, and the Ravens went from merely pretty-good to the team to beat.

Of course injuries have everything to do with the 49ers' turn of fortune, and with ours, but how much attention do you think the national media pays to getting those details right? Plus, according to them, we "voluntarily" got rid of Brown and Bell-Einstein, so that was not an obstacle but part of the plan.

Not trying to diminish the accomplishment of being in the playoff picture given all that's happened (if you had told me we'd be in this position after Week 2-3, I'd have said the only way was if Rudolph was passing for 400 yards a game). But the above is what will be seen by the outside evaluators who do not really follow this team in particular.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Quoted for Truth. Give him a loaded gun and he'll find a way to miss the target. But give one bullet and he's money.
    This might be the truest thing I've seen written. If he coached as well when we're stocked we'd have another ring or two. He never lets us drop too far, but somehow doesn't let us rise to high either....very strange...and sometimes very frustrating

I will give him credit though. I think this year is one of the most solid jobs he's done. Seeing him actually make some adjustments and changes during play has been a pleasant surprise. Hope he keeps it up. Still think Butler and Smith need to be gone.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He deserves to be in the conversation. No team lost more players on offense than we did and still managed to be in a position to be playoff bound. He really surprised me this year.

It most likely will be Harbaugh or Shanahan. Harbaugh cause everyone's on the Ravens' nuts or Shanahan for turning a 4-12 team into a legitimate contender.

If the Steelers make the playoffs though, it's hard not to make a case for Tomlin. We're basically rolling out QB3, RB3, 2 practice squad guys at WR3/4, a rookie as WR2 and getting it done.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I think the Packers had at least 10 defensive players on IR and believe their entire secondary was just about wiped out. I think the media jumps on stuff like this way too fast. I mean if the steelers get past the first playoff game then I would agree. But this is the same sports media that crowned the Browns SB champs before training camp this summer.
    And the Pats best defense since 85 bears before mid season

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

It's amazing to me to see what is going on. TOMLIN a guy to me is known for stubborn support to coordinators and not making in game adjustments. Steelers who are known for letting draft picks rot on the bench behind guys like Metcalf, just getting it done this year. Adjusting on the go, benching high draft picks(MR) making huge trades. Minkah is exactly the communication this defense needed. Whyte and Cain coming in , playing and contributing. I just have never seen such a thing . Honestly Cowher would be tanking sticking to Mason cause he was a draft pick and riding with some nobody at safety

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

One more win and he keeps his streak alive of never having a losing season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If the playoffs started today, the starting QBs would be:

Jackson
    Brady
    Wilson
    Brees
    Watson
    Mahomes
    Allen
    Rodgers
    Garappolo
    Cousins
    Prescott

...and an undrafted QB from Samford most famous for being a duck-call champion.

SUMMATION:
    Let’s give Tomlin a little bit of credit.