Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brahns @ Stillers gameballs & goats

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Brahns @ Stillers gameballs & goats

I've got to give my game ball to Bud Dupree. Pay the man. Honorable mentions to Benny Snell Football ® and Duck Hodges.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls and Goats against the Lake Mistake.

Duck Hodges in the 21st and a half quarter century.

Benny Snell.

James Washington

Steelers Defense.

Honorable Mention to Myles Garrett. Thanks to his stupid ass, Duck started today's game.

No goats.

Fuck the Browns.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Brahns @ Stillers gameballs & goats

Game balls Duck, Washington, Snell, Haden, Watt, Dupree, Hargrave

Goats Diontae Johnson, Refs

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Goats Diontae Johnson, Refs
    ^ Tru dat. I don't usually complain about officiating after the fact, but those were some ridiculous calls.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Game ball to Zach Banner for his readiness during the Victory formation.

Game Balls:

Hodges: It is officially duck season, and this duck is doing the hunting. Beautiful throws downfield. One INT, but at this point, I'm not sure whether it was his fault or the WR as it looks as though he was throwing a go route and the receiver stopped his route.
    Watt: Does anything else have to be said?
    Defense in general: I thought this game was going to be ugly after the first three drives. But they really came out and shut down a very good Browns offense in the second half.
    Coaches: I know it's not a popular thought on this board, but Tomlin was right in pulling Mason and keeping with Duck today. Fichtner call it conservative until Duck had a feel for the game, and then let him go. Well done. All D coaches belong in the previous mention.
    Washington: He is truly coming into his own.

Goats:

Refs: Take a look in previous game threads and posts over the last almost-decade on this board. I do not often complain about the refs. But, today, I was thoroughly confused by what they let go vs. what they called. Dupree clearly hit the QB as he was passing, and also arched himself over the QB as he went to the ground so as not to put his weight on the QB. The ball downed at the 1-yard line was a joke.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The refs can go fuck themselves. These guys make the game tough to watch a times.

False start on Duck??? where? he did not move.
    The no call on the touch back??? it was clear the players knee was touching the ball. The ball stopped when his knee was on the ball and once he lefted his leg the ball moved again.
    Roughing the passer on Dupree???? awful, just awful.

Was there anything else? i'm sure there was.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Tevin Jones got blatantly mugged, no PI call.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The refs can go fuck themselves. These guys make the game tough to watch a times.

The no call on the touch back??? it was clear the players knee was touching the ball. The ball stopped when his knee was on the ball and once he lefted his leg the ball moved again.

Refs definite goats

That crew enjoyed committee meetings before calling something - Fouts commented on it

They got the replay review right on the Landry catch on the Browns first drive but CBS ran three minutes of commercials while it was reviewed as if it would decide the Super Bowl

Missed/picked up the flag on a block in the back on the Browns TD drive

Game balls - Duck, Snell, Washington, defense and Tomlin

Just a great win

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

It’s the norm now, not the exception.

It’s a tough job. The game is faster than ever. Yet, we still have the games officiated by part-time, mostly middle-aged insurance executives, bank presidents...all friends of the shield.

Why not create a program that utilizes recently retired players who can no longer play but could certainly officiate at a level much higher than what we have now.

Retired ‘stars’ who made a lot of money wouldn’t be interested, but career back-ups, special teams players might.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think a game ball has to go to the entire Steelers coaching staff. Stayed steady when the offense struggled early. According to the Twitter reports in the other thread, Tomlin drew up an entire new defense at half-time. Still things that drive me nuts and things to work on, but name another team in the league that is 7-5 and in the wildcard hunt after starting 1-4 and losing their elite QB, top WR, top RB, 2nd or 3rd best player on defense, and leaning on rookies and unproven 2nd year players up and down the offense? I'm guessing the answer is "not many" at best.

Also, Hargrave. Holy moly! Like Tuitt is really really good. But Hargrave makes his loss manageable. I hadn't paid attention as much before today, but are they basically a "base" 2-4-5 now? If so, that's kinda interesting/cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    It’s the norm now, not the exception.

It’s a tough job. The game is faster than ever. Yet, we still have the games officiated by part-time, mostly middle-aged insurance executives, bank presidents...all friends of the shield.

Why not create a program that utilizes recently retired players who can no longer play but could certainly officiate at a level much higher than what we have now.

Retired ‘stars’ who made a lot of money wouldn’t be interested, but career back-ups, special teams players might.
    That is a great idea!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

James Washington officially unsucks.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

We are 3-0 when Duck passes it 10 times or more and would/could be 4-0 had Ju-ju not made that mistake in overtime vs. the Ravens. ( duck only had 9 passes in that game ) I think we found our QB for the rest of the seasons, and yes we can win a playoff game with him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Game Balls
    - As usual, the defense as a whole. Extra balls to Grave Digger, Watt and Haden.
    - Hodges - started rough and had some moments but he did a total 180. Had some seriously nice throws...
    - James Washington - My God this guy mad some ridiculous catches while being contested. His concentration was off the charts...if only he could channel that concentration before snaps.

Goats
    - False start penalties...come on with that.
    - Referees. There was at least 5 blown calls...Hodges false start, Missed PI on Jones, Dupree “late hit”?, the touchback that wasn’t, OPI on an interception attempt, the OBJ “completion” and I feel like I’m missing some...awful...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Also, Mike Tomlin. Coach of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Game Balls
    - As usual, the defense as a whole. Extra balls to Grave Digger, Watt and Haden.
    - Hodges - started rough and had some moments but he did a total 180. Had some seriously nice throws...
    - James Washington - My God this guy mad some ridiculous catches while being contested. His concentration was off the charts...if only he could channel that concentration before snaps.

Goats
    - False start penalties...come on with that.
    - Referees. There was at least 5 blown calls...Hodges false start, Missed PI on Jones, Dupree “late hit”?, the touchback that wasn’t, OPI on an interception attempt, the OBJ “completion” and I feel like I’m missing some...awful...
    So....not to invent excuses, but propose explanations....maybe Hodges' cadence is very different and that led to guys moving early? It was weird to see so many.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

We got lucky on several mental mistakes in that they didn't burn us - running out of bounds/throwing the ball away to stop the clock, miscommunication between QB/WR, personal fouls, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Game ball to Zach Banner for his readiness during the Victory formation.
    Instead of posting selfies?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I thought he earned that about three or four games ago. He's really coming into his own.
    If Mason Rudolph hadn't been his college QB, he could've won the Heisman!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So....not to invent excuses, but propose explanations....maybe Hodges' cadence is very different and that led to guys moving early? It was weird to see so many.

It's possible that it could be a small factor with the offensive linemen. Unfortunately, many of the false starts were committed by WRs or TEs that were split out. Players not involved with in-line blocking are trained to watch the ball and go on the snap. That's just a bad screw up when they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's possible that it could be a small factor with the offensive linemen. Unfortunately, many of the false starts were committed by WRs or TEs that were split out. Players not involved with in-line blocking are trained to watch the ball and go on the snap. That's just a bad screw up when they do it.
    for sure. just wandering if the play is on 3 and Hodges "three" is longer than what the players are used to, they have a clock in their head that says "GO!" and it was just a split second early? Or they were just making dumb mistakes. Either? Both?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    James Washington officially unsucks.
    Ben is going to love this receiving corp when he returns.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    for sure. just wandering if the play is on 3 and Hodges "three" is longer than what the players are used to, they have a clock in their head that says "GO!" and it was just a split second early? Or they were just making dumb mistakes. Either? Both?

It could happen here and there. We see it all the time, but most of these penalties were players moving long before anyone else moved. Maybe they forgot the snap count? It was pretty sloppy IMO.

As usual, win or lose, goat to Dan Fouts and me having to listen to him on another Steelers telecast. They should revoke his Hall of Fame status due to his broadcasting career. You might be able to call him the master of the obvious, but he never pays close enough attention to even get the obvious stuff right.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Gameball to Washington, Hodges, Snell and the defense in general, also Tomlin and the coaching staff, I don’t think Belichick could do better under these conditions

goat to Baron on that touchdown by the browns, I think it was he that was out of position, refs, like others are saying, we won in spite of their terrible calls

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Duck gets better when the stage gets bigger. Ergo, I cannot wait to see how well he performs in the upcoming Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    As usual, win or lose, goat to Dan Fouts and me having to listen to him on another Steelers telecast. They should revoke his Hall of Fame status due to his broadcasting career. You might be able to call him the master of the obvious, but he never pays close enough attention to even get the obvious stuff right.
    Fouts is in his late 60s and it is time to move on

I have no idea how getting a network football announcing gig has become a lifetime appointment for these guys

Only one I recall getting canned was Phil Simms after he had been terrible for years

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers game ball, no goats with a win.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Honorable mention to Benny Snell’s spinner mouthpiece.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

When BJ Finney starts, Steelers are 11-1