Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents (a little early, but...)

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Free Agents (a little early, but...)

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just throwing a name out there for discussion. Wouldn’t necessarily want him on the roster but if Ben can’t play because of injury, there’s worse options out there as a stop gap than Eli/Rivers...like Rudolph...lol.
    Rivers is just as bad as Mason is there's no difference to me.
    One 'fluke' season doesn't mask how putrid your career has been.

Last year made me laugh and still does where all the media outlets had Rivers pegged as a 1st ballot HOFer...like fuck.
    What's it based on?
    Plus I don't like a guy that chirps when he's losing that's just called being a douche bag even more than what you already are.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just throwing a name out there for discussion. Wouldn’t necessarily want him on the roster but if Ben can’t play because of injury, there’s worse options out there as a stop gap than Eli/Rivers...like Rudolph...lol.
    I apologize. It was not my intent to direct any derision towards you.

It’s just that I find Philip Rivers to be the douchiest player I may have ever witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

It’s just that I find Philip Rivers to be the douchiest player I may have ever witnessed.
    EXACTLY!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Absolute Douche...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Brady still gets my vote in that regard.

Watching Brady scream, carry on, and show up his receivers over and over again is nauseating.

Poor Tommy doesn't have 10 seconds to throw on every pass, and guys aren't getting wide open on every play????? Welcome to the life of every other quarterback in the NFL asshole!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Brady still gets my vote in that regard.

Watching Brady scream, carry on, and show up his receivers over and over again is nauseating.

Poor Tommy doesn't have 10 seconds to throw on every pass, and guys aren't getting wide open on every play????? Welcome to the life of every other quarterback in the NFL asshole!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

At least he keeps his douchiness ON the field.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Rivers is just as bad as Mason is there's no difference to me.
    One 'fluke' season doesn't mask how putrid your career has been.

Last year made me laugh and still does where all the media outlets had Rivers pegged as a 1st ballot HOFer...like fuck.
    What's it based on?
    Plus I don't like a guy that chirps when he's losing that's just called being a douche bag even more than what you already are.
    Man....I can't believe I'm gonna say this....but c'mon man, Rivers isnt that bad. He has every right to be considered for the HOF.

9th in career wins
    8 time Pro Bowl QB
    6th in career yards
    6th in career tds
    10th in career rating

You don't get those kind of numbers with 1 fluke season.

Let's be fair here...if Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgensen, Marino and Moon are in the HOF...Rivers at least deserves consideration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    At least he keeps his douchiness ON the field.
    Unfortunately, sometimes it leaks out...

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    Man....I can't believe I'm gonna say this....but c'mon man, Rivers isnt that bad. He has every right to be considered for the HOF.

9th in career wins
    8 time Pro Bowl QB
    6th in career yards
    6th in career tds
    10th in career rating

You don't get those kind of numbers with 1 fluke season.

Let's be fair here...if Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgensen, Marino and Moon are in the HOF...Rivers at least deserves consideration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The 3 you mentioned made their respective teams BETTER! Especially Marino.
    I'm not sure how you can continually go 4-12, to at BEST 9-7 for 8 straight seasons with one playoff season in 2013 and be a HOF player. He's made ONE (singular) AFC title game and that was in 2007.
    yes 2018 was a FLUKE season his other 'great' record seasons he had LT at running back, nuff said.
    from 2010 to 2017 here's the teams records....9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 9-7, 9-7, 4-12, 5-11, 9-7, and then the fluke year last year 12-4 and as we stand here today 4-8 with 4 to play.

that 'consideration' is exactly that, you'd consider him when you run out of guys to put in the HOF and even then it would be up for debate.
    i mean what signature plays has Rivers made?
    signature games?

the only 1st ballot HOFer from 2004 resides in Pittsburgh and it's not even close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess he’s just another over rated media created fraud like Rodgers?

I mean ranking top 10-15 in every major career passing category is probably a fluke.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I mean ranking top 10-15 in every major career passing category is probably a fluke.
    Don't know about HOF for Rivers but seen a few games this year. I think he is about done. Can't lead the team to any comebacks when given the chance, throws over the wr's head a lot this season. I would take a chance on Eli over him that may also be done.

Yeah in a round about fashion for Rodgers for sure. Rivers has done dick all.
    I mean Rodgers one (singular) perfect passing game he had, all the media outlets had him MVP on the SPOT!!!
    the way it was talked about was it was the greatest game ever played by a QB.

But you know its like how the media ALWAYS points out the fact that Ben had the worst passer rating in a super bowl win (agreed he played terrible) but lets not mention how they got there which was him playing lights out in those 3 previous games

And how the media IGNORES the fact that Rodgers literally shit his pants in the 2014 NFC Title game when his STELLAR defense GIFTED him 5 TURNOVERS!!!!
    no no no its all on the onside kick the guy muffed right?
    fuck that!
    Packers were up 16-0 at the half your QB did fuck all. he choked plain and simple.
    Then in 2016 when they got torched by the Falcons being down 31-0 mid 3rd quarter before the Falcons 'allowed' him to get a TD. I mean what happened in the first half with all those possessions?
    Any given Sunday a guy can be beat or play bad just don't make up excuses which is what happens 9.9/10 for Rodgers which is a joke.

Now don't get me wrong I'm fully aware the media does pick their darlings, my only gripe is when they say the usual 'elite' guys Ben should be one of them but whatever, such is life. Knowing the real facts beyond the numbers is always better

As for Rivers, he's played long enough to get those numbers but call a spade a spade here man he's not a HOF player.
    You also need team success, you need plays/games that stick out (I can list a shit ton for Ben)
    He didn't make the Chargers instantly better. Ben did with the Steelers. I think that's the biggest difference...well no winning 2 super bowls actually is, 3 500 yard passing games (NFL record), 4 perfect games in the regular season (NFL Record), most games with 40 completions going 3-1 in said games (NFL Record)...

Knowing what you know now would you really take Rivers over Ben?
    there's literally zero chance that happens for me but I know I'm in the minority...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah in a round about fashion for Rodgers for sure. Rivers has done dick all.
    I mean Rodgers one (singular) perfect passing game he had, all the media outlets had him MVP on the SPOT!!!
    the way it was talked about was it was the greatest game ever played by a QB.

But you know its like how the media ALWAYS points out the fact that Ben had the worst passer rating in a super bowl win (agreed he played terrible) but lets not mention how they got there which was him playing lights out in those 3 previous games

And how the media IGNORES the fact that Rodgers literally shit his pants in the 2014 NFC Title game when his STELLAR defense GIFTED him 5 TURNOVERS!!!!
    no no no its all on the onside kick the guy muffed right?
    fuck that!
    Packers were up 16-0 at the half your QB did fuck all. he choked plain and simple.
    Then in 2016 when they got torched by the Falcons being down 31-0 mid 3rd quarter before the Falcons 'allowed' him to get a TD. I mean what happened in the first half with all those possessions?
    Any given Sunday a guy can be beat or play bad just don't make up excuses which is what happens 9.9/10 for Rodgers which is a joke.

Now don't get me wrong I'm fully aware the media does pick their darlings, my only gripe is when they say the usual 'elite' guys Ben should be one of them but whatever, such is life. Knowing the real facts beyond the numbers is always better

As for Rivers, he's played long enough to get those numbers but call a spade a spade here man he's not a HOF player.
    You also need team success, you need plays/games that stick out (I can list a shit ton for Ben)
    He didn't make the Chargers instantly better. Ben did with the Steelers. I think that's the biggest difference...well no winning 2 super bowls actually is, 3 500 yard passing games (NFL record), 4 perfect games in the regular season (NFL Record), most games with 40 completions going 3-1 in said games (NFL Record)...

Knowing what you know now would you really take Rivers over Ben?
    there's literally zero chance that happens for me but I know I'm in the minority...
    I'd take Rodgers over either Ben or Rivers. Toss-up between Rivers and Ben.

You can not divorce QB from franchise as much as you are seeming to. Swap Ben and Rivers and I bet it looks the reverse with Steeler Rivers having more success than Chargers Ben.

Media hasn't lumped Ben in as "elite" for the primary reason that he has, traditionally, sounded like an idiot whenever he has attempted to answer detailed questions about this or that related to the offense. He either resorts to meaningless cliches or he basically says "I ran around and let my guys make plays". The media disregards that kinds stuff because it doesn't make a good in-depth story. They want the Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo style answers that breakdown coverages, tendencies, and whatnot. They want Ben to say "I told AB, if you see that safety line-up two steps left of the hash again, then you run this route and look for the ball when you come out of your break.." Ben doesn't typically do that. So the media moved on to QBs who do.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Agree on Rodgers. Disagree on Rivers-Ben. Championships DO mean something.

Agree on Rodgers. Disagree on Rivers-Ben. Championships DO mean something.
    Absolutely. And if the 2004 draft had gone with Rivers as a Steeler and Ben as a Charger. Rivers would likely have a couple of SB titles and Ben would likely have zero.

But it didn't, so I agree that Ben is a better HOF candidate than Rivers based on the SBs. Just not sure that he is all that much better as a player. Different, but maybe equivalent in terms of abilties.

Absolutely. And if the 2004 draft had gone with Rivers as a Steeler and Ben as a Charger. Rivers would likely have a couple of SB titles and Ben would likely have zero.

But it didn't, so I agree that Ben is a better HOF candidate than Rivers based on the SBs. Just not sure that he is all that much better as a player. Different, but maybe equivalent in terms of abilties.
    I'm not so sure. Ben carried that team throughout the AFC playoffs on the first one. And Ben should've been MVP of the second one. How many playoff games have the Chargers won - total with Rivers??

You can not divorce QB from franchise as much as you are seeming to. Swap Ben and Rivers and I bet it looks the reverse with Steeler Rivers having more success than Chargers Ben.

Media hasn't lumped Ben in as "elite" for the primary reason that he has, traditionally, sounded like an idiot whenever he has attempted to answer detailed questions about this or that related to the offense. He either resorts to meaningless cliches or he basically says "I ran around and let my guys make plays". The media disregards that kinds stuff because it doesn't make a good in-depth story. They want the Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo style answers that breakdown coverages, tendencies, and whatnot. They want Ben to say "I told AB, if you see that safety line-up two steps left of the hash again, then you run this route and look for the ball when you come out of your break.." Ben doesn't typically do that. So the media moved on to QBs who do.
    Agreed he's a classic meathead with interviews but has got better over time. Maybe not classic analytics but better.
    Mind you you're talking out of both sides of your mouth because Rodgers isn't exactly 'Mr Classy' in his media scrums he's a bit of a dbag.

Rivers doesn't survive with the Steelers 2006-2011...especially 2008 with a who's who of guys on the oline.
    Truthfully I think the Steelers would be worse with Rivers because he's not as good as Ben.
    But that's also due to the fact that Ben fit the system having the ability to scramble when needed whereas Rivers is a statue.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not so sure. Ben carried that team throughout the AFC playoffs on the first one. And Ben should've been MVP of the second one. How many playoff games have the Chargers won - total with Rivers??
    Ben 13
    Rivers 5
    but who's counting lol

Agreed on the first part.

Ben 13
    Rivers 5
    but who's counting lol
    3 more and Ben will tie Joe Montana for 2nd all-time. First is out of reach at 30 by Brady. But you're right, who's counting??

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

The Steelers need to bring in an offensive lineman. They trotted out 4 guys who were undrafted last Sunday. They did ok, but you really need a bit more than that on the offensive line. 78 is becoming a heavily penalized turnstile as well. If there's a solid left tackle on the board in round 2, they should think really hard about taking him. I wouldn't be opposed to looking for a replacement in free agency for either Feiler, or Foster, it the dollars make sense.

It's been hard to get a good veteran backup qb to come here, because those guys like to go to a place where they might have a chance to start. Charlie Batch was a hometown boy who was satisfied with his role. It's hard to find that. With Ben near the end, we might be an attractive place for a young guy who was a high draft pick, and is looking to rebuild his career. Bridgewater going to NO is what I'm looking for. Cam will be a starter somewhere, it won't be a guy like him. I'd definitely be interested in Mariota at the right price. If Alex Smith is healthy, and is willing to become a backup, he'd be my first pick.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    The Steelers need to bring in an offensive lineman. They trotted out 4 guys who were undrafted last Sunday. They did ok, but you really need a bit more than that on the offensive line. 78 is becoming a heavily penalized turnstile as well. If there's a solid left tackle on the board in round 2, they should think really hard about taking him. I wouldn't be opposed to looking for a replacement in free agency for either Feiler, or Foster, it the dollars make sense.

It's been hard to get a good veteran backup qb to come here, because those guys like to go to a place where they might have a chance to start. Charlie Batch was a hometown boy who was satisfied with his role. It's hard to find that. With Ben near the end, we might be an attractive place for a young guy who was a high draft pick, and is looking to rebuild his career. Bridgewater going to NO is what I'm looking for. Cam will be a starter somewhere, it won't be a guy like him. I'd definitely be interested in Mariota at the right price. If Alex Smith is healthy, and is willing to become a backup, he'd be my first pick.
    For the OL, Foster will probably walk. Everyone thought he was going to last year. I don't see them resigning him when they have to re-sign Finney.

Unfortunately, sometimes it leaks out...
    As a local, you'd know...

Philip Rivers once fumbled the kneel-down... leading to a loss. That is just one example of how Rivers routinely snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

And, even if he had 5 rings, Rivers would still be a douche. The guy talks trash all game long... like personal jabs. Then, at the same time, he whines when anyone says anything back. I cannot stand that guy... and living in San Diego I have heard how much the Chargers fans could not/cannot stand him, as well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The one time Ben did say he wanted AB to do this but he did that, it led to the biggest meltdown in sports history...lol.

Philip Rivers once fumbled the kneel-down... leading to a loss. That is just one example of how Rivers routinely snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

And, even if he had 5 rings, Rivers would still be a douche. The guy talks trash all game long... like personal jabs. Then, at the same time, he whines when anyone says anything back. I cannot stand that guy... and living in San Diego I have heard how much the Chargers fans could not/cannot stand him, as well.
    Lol...bigger douche than I thought...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Rivers played with the most talented roster in the NFL for years, and couldn't even make it to one Super Bowl.

For those that think he is better than Ben.....Sorry, but just not accurate.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Rivers played with the most talented roster in the NFL for years, and couldn't even make it to one Super Bowl.

For those that think he is better than Ben.....Sorry, but just not accurate.
    Agreed and all the talent Rivers had he never even made it to a Superbowl. I also think Rivers is done now and he looks bad playing this season. Eli vs Ben on who is better would be interesting but I would still go with Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

I just can't stand Brady. He has been a great player, but he just gets a pass for the way he treats his receivers. Any other quarterback would be crushed for the way he is constantly showing them up on the field and his sideline bullshit. It's funny how some people lose their shit if Ben makes a comment to the media that they perceive to be a shot at a receiver or a coach. Brady says nothing publicly, yet shits all over everybody on national TV constantly, but everyone loves his determination and "leadership" because he's the GOAT.

Did I mention that I really don't like him?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

3 more and Ben will tie Joe Montana for 2nd all-time. First* is out of reach at 30 by Brady. But you're right, who's counting??
    *The Patriots have racked up incredible stats in the Belichick/ Brady era. Unfortunately, none of them were truly earned through superior play, but rather outright cheating.
    Slight edit.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Phillip Rivers talks trash to Harrison Smith. Smith responds with an INT... and the Vikings scored 29 unanswered points.