Thread: Mean Joe 1st D-lineman named on all time team

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Mean Joe 1st D-lineman named on all time team

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...l-alltime-team

Greene was just announced as part of the all-time team ahead of Friday's reveal, the same honor they extended to one Jim Brown

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Mean Joe 1st D-lineman named on all time team

Mike Golic once told this story...

During training camp, when Golic was playing and Joe Greene was the D-line coach, the players were effing around and Joe Greene lines up across from one of them (to show them the proper technique) and obliterates the young player. Mean Joe then declares, “If ANY one of you can beat me, you’ll get the afternoon off; otherwise, you’re running wind-sprints ‘til you pass out!!!

The young alpha-males lined up across from Mean Joe, and one by one, Mean Joe knocks them on their asses. After the last one, Mean Joe yells: “Start running!!!”

SUMMATION:
    As Golic states, “He was wearing shorts and he was knocking guys half his age back on their asses... I cannot imagine how dominant Joe Greene was as a player.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Joe Greene was the first player puzzle piece the formed a dynasty.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

During training camp, when Golic was playing and Joe Greene was the D-line coach, the players were effing around and Joe Greene lines up across from one of them (to show them the proper technique) and obliterates the young player. Mean Joe then declares, “If ANY one of you can beat me, you’ll get the afternoon off; otherwise, you’re running wind-sprints ‘til you pass out!!!

The young alpha-males lined up across from Mean Joe, and one by one, Mean Joe knocks them on their asses. After the last one, Mean Joe yells: “Start running!!!”

SUMMATION:
    As Golic states, “He was wearing shorts and he was knocking guys half his age back on their asses... I cannot imagine how dominant Joe Greene was as a player.
    Did the same thing at his first practice with the Steelers.
    The veteran O-linemen were licking their chops to show the rookie a thing or two...”welcome to the NFL.”
    He tossed them around like they were dolls.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    Maybe this is a different story, but didn’t one guy beat Joe? Wasn’t that guy’s name Mike Webster?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Maybe this is a different story, but didn’t one guy beat Joe? Wasn’t that guy’s name Mike Webster?
    Webster was drafted in the great draft class of 74.

Mean Joe dominated the Oklahoma drills vs the Steeler O-line in his rookie year

However, Mean Joe said he and Ernie Holmes used to beat up on Webster but after a couple of years they couldn't do it anymore.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    The Golic story was from much later, when Joe was in his 40s. The story you are thinking of is from 1974...

A scout had watched Jack Lambert at Kent St. The scout raves about him, and pushed for the Steelers to draft him very early. So, draft day comes around, and he convinces them (Lambert is drafted in R2).

At the first training camp, Lambert goes 1:1 up against a rookie offensive lineman. The lineman knocks Lambert backwards. Noll glares at the scout, and tells the two rookies: “Again.” Once again, Lambert gets knocked backwards.

Noll (pissed) tells Lambert to step aside and tells a veteran D-lineman to”show him how it’s done.” That D-lineman gets knocked backwards, as well.

Noll (thinking that his team is slacking) tells Joe Greene to get in there... and the rookie offensive lineman stalemates Greene. Noll stops practice and asks the kid, “What’s your name?” To which the kid replies...

“Mike Webster”

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The Golic story was from much later, when Joe was in his 40s. The story you are thinking of is from 1974...

A scout had watched Jack Lambert at Kent St. The scout raves about him, and pushed for the Steelers to draft him very early. So, draft day comes around, and he convinces them (Lambert is drafted in R2).

At the first training camp, Lambert goes 1:1 up against a rookie offensive lineman. The lineman knocks Lambert backwards. Noll glares at the scout, and tells the two rookies: “Again.” Once again, Lambert gets knocked backwards.

Noll (pissed) tells Lambert to step aside and tells a veteran D-lineman to”show him how it’s done.” That D-lineman gets knocked backwards, as well.

Noll (thinking that his team is slacking) tells Joe Greene to get in there... and the rookie offensive lineman stalemates Greene. Noll stops practice and asks the kid, “What’s your name?” To which the kid replies...

“Mike Webster”
    Yes. That’s exactly the story I’m thinking of. Chances are I heard it from you in the first place.

Mean Joe is the greatest DT of all time. Some will argue Alan Page, Bob Lilly, and Merlin Olsen but I disagree. Name me another non-QB who was the centerpiece of a 4-time Super Bowl championship dynasty?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Mean Joe is the greatest DT of all time. Some will argue Alan Page, Bob Lilly, and Merlin Olsen but I disagree. Name me another non-QB who was the centerpiece of a 4-time Super Bowl championship dynasty?
    Charles Haley ???

NOTE: I am not saying Haley is anywhere near as good nor as crucial as Joe Greene. I’m merely answering the question of a non-QB player who had 4 rings. (And, Haley has 5.)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I thought Alan Page played DE. He was small.

Charles Haley ???

NOTE: I am not saying Haley is anywhere near as good nor as crucial as Joe Greene. I’m merely answering the question of a non-QB player who had 4 rings. (And, Haley has 5.)
    I mean the centerpiece. Haley was a big part just not the best player/centerpiece

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Reggie White might be the closest "modern" comp. I realize it is a DT verus DE situation. But prior to White showing up to GB, it was a wasteland of frozen tundra and bad football. White comes in as FA and they start turning it into championship football.

Maybe Sapp playing the nucleus role for a defensive revival in TB.

Neither of those guys are the same as Greene nor did they have the SB success. But that kinda just shows how ridiculous what Greene and the Steelers did. Because the closest you can come is Haley (see Teegre's post), White, and Sapp. And it still leaves a big gap. Astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Reggie White might be the closest "modern" comp. I realize it is a DT verus DE situation. But prior to White showing up to GB, it was a wasteland of frozen tundra and bad football. White comes in as FA and they start turning it into championship football.

Maybe Sapp playing the nucleus role for a defensive revival in TB.

Neither of those guys are the same as Greene nor did they have the SB success. But that kinda just shows how ridiculous what Greene and the Steelers did. Because the closest you can come is Haley (see Teegre's post), White, and Sapp. And it still leaves a big gap. Astounding.
    All true. But I’m not sure I’ll judge Greene based on Super Bowl success. No doubt he was the first piece in the puzzle, but we kept losing for awhile with Greene until we filled out the roster with more greatness.

I’m just saying, by the same token, I wouldn’t hold it against other great D-linemen that their team was unable to do as great a job with the rest of the roster for a sustained period of time.

Greene was no doubt one of the best ever, but if he had been drafted by a different organization he’d still have been personally great, just without the 4 rings that came with being a Steeler.