Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

Mike Tomlin: “We’ll see what next week holds next week.” He also said Mason wasn’t doing enough and he liked what he saw from Duck and his readiness. “That’s how we get down.”

Versus the Bengals:

• Rudolph: 8/16 - 85 yards - 0 TD/1 INT - 39.8 Rating.

• Hodges: 5/11 - 118 yards - 1 TD/0 INT - 115 Rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

There was one play that really stood out to me from Duck. If I remember correctly, he rolled to the right and threw a pass low and incomplete...very slim possibility that the receiver would catch it but it was out of the reach of coverage which was extremely good. He not only avoided the sack but made a great decision to throw the ball low and away to keep the drive alive and not risk a turnover.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Mike Tomlin: “We’ll see what next week holds next week.” He also said Mason wasn’t doing enough and he liked what he saw from Duck and his readiness. “That’s how we get down.”

Versus the Bengals:

• Rudolph: 8/16 - 85 yards - 0 TD/1 INT - 39.8 Rating.

• Hodges: 5/11 - 118 yards - 1 TD/0 INT - 115 Rating.
    Rudolph's only decent throw down field was to Cain . It was under thrown and Cain made a nice catch.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I can only hope so.

This is why a benching is a bad idea. A benching is a risk and effectively means that quarterback is destroyed and you cannot go back to him. Rudolph is finished. Tomlin just destroyed a quarterback right before our eyes. The Steelers won the game, but at what cost?

Let’s see what Hodges does will full time work.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There was one play that really stood out to me from Duck. If I remember correctly, he rolled to the right and threw a pass low and incomplete...very slim possibility that the receiver would catch it but it was out of the reach of coverage which was extremely good. He not only avoided the sack but made a great decision to throw the ball low and away to keep the drive alive and not risk a turnover.
    Agreed and it turn into a PI call to keep the drive alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I can only hope so.

This is why a benching is a bad idea. A benching is a risk and effectively means that quarterback is destroyed and you cannot go back to him. Rudolph is finished. Tomlin just destroyed a quarterback right before our eyes. The Steelers won the game, but at what cost?

Sometimes you got to destroy a QB before he destroys your season. Tomlin gave Rudy enough games this season to have his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Agreed and it turn into a PI call to keep the drive alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you got to destroy a QB before he destroys your season. Tomlin gave Rudy enough games this season to have his shot.
    Hodges better play lights out for his sake. We cannot go back to Rudy.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

So, we cannot go back to Rudy? big deal he hasn't done shit all year anyways.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Why not? Duck and Mason are placeholders

Unless Ben’s surgery fails whoever takes snaps for the last 5 games is not starting after that until 2022 unless Ben is injured

Neither of them is the long term successor

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Unless Ben’s surgery fails whoever takes snaps for the last 5 games is not starting after that until 2022 unless Ben is injured

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Neither of them is the long term successor
    It matters cause this season is not over yet and you want the best one out of the two playing.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

It matters cause this season is not over yet and you want the best one out of the two playing.
    I agree

In the second half today that was Duck

By the second half of the Browns or Arizona games that may be Rudolph

I would be surprised if Duck makes it through the end of the season without being pulled at some point

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I agree

In the second half today that was Duck

By the second half of the Browns or Arizona games that may be Rudolph

I would be surprised if Duck makes it through the end of the season without being pulled at some point
    Me too.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At this point, I’d be willing to throw Lynch into the mix and see what happens.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

Why? We know what we have in MR, now we need to see what we have in Duck. He can at least lead WRs on crossing routes (the reason I wanted MR in the preseason, he was able to lead WRs and since has failed to do) and see open WRs and move out of the pocket. We literally have nothing to lose with riding out the season with Duck. Duck, at this point, is already playing better than MR with 1 week of practice with the 1s all season. We will see what he can do next week against a good Def and a team that is going to play dirty.

Edit: this was a response to benching Duck

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

But, but, but I thought Hodges was useless and just a camp arm? There is no way he could replace Rudolph
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Whoever can move the ball. Whoever it is, I’ll feel better about it with Conner, Nix, and Juju back.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I can only hope so.

Rudolph needed benched. It wasn't a bad idea. It probably won us the football game. I couldn't care less if it has destroyed him. He's a career backup at best. If we do have to go back to him and he's terrible, which I fully expect, then we can call some bum off the street not named Kaepernick to take his place. There's no risk in this. He has no future as a starter in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Whoever can move the ball. Whoever it is, I’ll feel better about it with Conner, Nix, and Juju back.
    I thought Nix was on the IR and done for the season ?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Maybe he starts next week but I doubt this is the last time we see Rudolph this year.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Maybe he starts next week but I doubt this is the last time we see Rudolph this year.
    Me too. I will root for Hodges just as hard as I rooted for Mason, I just don't think that either of these guys are the answer at this point.

Hodges has already shown better pocket presence and the ability to get a throw off in and out of the pocket without being obstructed by an offensive linemen in his face or a defender reaching around a linemen on his heals.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Me too. I will root for Hodges just as hard as I rooted for Mason, I just don't think that either of these guys are the answer at this point.

I agree. I am rooting hard for whoever is behind center.

Now we have to see how Hodges performs when defenses prepare for him. Just as I said with Rudolph, it's always a lot different when NFL teams prepare for you.....always.

I hope Duck succeeds and proves he is much more than everyone thought when he came out of college. Now we get to see if he can adjust his game, and be able to still succeed when defenses make him play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I thought Nix was on the IR and done for the season ?
    That’s correct. Nix is on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Rudolph needed benched. It wasn't a bad idea. It probably won us the football game. I couldn't care less if it has destroyed him. He's a career backup at best. If we do have to go back to him and he's terrible, which I fully expect, then we can call some bum off the street not named Kaepernick to take his place. There's no risk in this. He has no future as a starter in the NFL.
    Fair enough. But be careful what you wish for regarding that mindset pulling the plug on quarterbacks so quickly. That Browns jersey with all of the quarterbacks names on the back of it may end up looking like a Steelers one soon. To call it "no risk" is very short-sighted. The Steelers blew a third round pick on Mason. A third round pick.

The Steelers won the game and Rudolph was benched today, but I fear that the Steelers sacrificed potential long-term results for short-term gains. Tomlin threw a young struggling quarterback under the bus to beat a weak opponent and stave off yet another coaching embarrassment (that has become commonplace under him even with Ben), even though the offensive struggles this year weren't completely his fault. Benching Mason today shows Tomlin's willingness to bail on a quarterback at the first sign of trouble, there's nothing stopping Tomlin from doing the same with Hodges, or the next guy, or the guy after that, to save his own hide.

The Steelers play the Browns again next week at Heinz. It's a calculated risk that for Tomlin's sake better work. All I've got to say is Hodges better destroy people from here on.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Fair enough. But be careful what you wish for regarding that mindset pulling the plug on quarterbacks so quickly. That Browns jersey with all of the quarterbacks names on the back of it may end up looking like a Steelers one soon. To call it "no risk" is very short-sighted.

The Steelers won the game and Rudolph was benched today, but I fear that the Steelers sacrificed potential long-term results for short-term gains. Tomlin threw a young struggling quarterback under the bus to beat a weak opponent and stave off yet another coaching embarrassment (that has become commonplace under him even with Ben), even though the offensive struggles this year weren't completely his fault. Benching Mason today shows Tomlin's willingness to bail on a quarterback at the first sign of trouble, there's nothing stopping Tomlin from doing the same with Hodges, or the next guy, or the guy after that, to save his own hide.

The Steelers play the Browns again next week at Heinz. It's a calculated risk that for Tomlin's sake better work. All I've got to say is Hodges better destroy people from here on.
    First sign??? Rudolph has 5 INTs in his last 28 attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    First sign??? Rudolph has 5 INTs in his last 28 attempts.
    After leading the Steelers to three straight wins weeks prior. We had a quarterback throw five in one game not too long ago. The difference here is that said quarterback is a two time Super Bowl champion and would quickly get Tomlin jettisoned out of town if he looked at him wrong and the other is just a backup.

Don't act like this is some calculated and "smart" coaching move by Tomlin.

Fair enough. But be careful what you wish for regarding that mindset pulling the plug on quarterbacks so quickly. That Browns jersey with all of the quarterbacks names on the back of it may end up looking like a Steelers one soon. To call it "no risk" is very short-sighted. The Steelers blew a third round pick on Mason. A third round pick.

“First sign of trouble”?

What was the Browns game? A mixed triumph?

If you buy a stock at $20 and it drops to $10 it might get back to $20 - it also might go to zero

At some point you need to pull the trigger and cut your losses

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

After leading the Steelers to three straight wins weeks prior. We had a quarterback throw five in one game not too long ago. The difference here is that said quarterback is a two time Super Bowl champion and would quickly get Tomlin jettisoned out of town if he looked at him wrong and the other is just a backup.

Don't act like this is some calculated and "smart" coaching move by Tomlin.
    Uh... okay.

“First sign of trouble”?

What was the Browns game? A mixed triumph?

If you buy a stock at $20 and it drops to $10 it might get back to $20 - it also might go to zero

At some point you need to pull the trigger and cut your losses
    So in hindsight, Do you still give up a first rounder for Minkah Fitzpatrick after Ben does down for the year?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

In the game day thread, you said it was time to move on from Rudolph. You are so full of it. Now you're setting things up to kill Tomlin no matter how this works out.

Here's a direct quote from you from today's game day thread:

"Officially benched. Ain't never coming back from that. Ducky comes in and fires a 79-yard shot to his man Washington.

I was rooting hard for the guy, but he just wasn't getting the job done. I was wrong about him.

Go get 'em Duck."

And this one:

"Don't give Rudolph the reins back."

The quotes in bold are yours, yet you are now ready to kill Tomlin if the 3rd string QB doesn't "destroy people from here on".

Dude, you just say things and contradict yourself at every turn. On one hand, you say poor Rudolph didn't get any help from his teammates and that he was set up to fail, but now Hodges needs to light it up with basically the same cast of characters or Tomlin is a jackass? None of that makes any sense....as usual.

Charlie Batch tweeted that it’s now Duck’s team.