Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    So in hindsight, Do you still give up a first rounder for Minkah Fitzpatrick after Ben does down for the year?
    In hindsight absolutely since it is a steal in getting Minkah for what probably is not going to be a top 10 first round pick

Assuming that has the slightest thing to do with Mason, Duck and/or the long term QB situation, I do not see a great QB prospect who would have been around even if the season blew up and the Steelers drafted in the top 10. That is for reasons including this not being a vintage year for college QBs and that whoever is drafted probably will not start for several years unless Ben has Bradshaw like complications from his elbow surgery - the Steelers would not max out the benefit of having a good QB on his rookie deal even if they guessed right when drafting one

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    In hindsight absolutely since it is a steal in getting Minkah for what probably is not going to be a top 10 first round pick

Assuming that has the slightest thing to do with Mason, Duck and/or the long term QB situation, I do not see a great QB prospect who would have been around even if the season blew up and the Steelers drafted in the top 10. That is for reasons including this not being a vintage year for college QBs and that whoever is drafted probably will not start for several years unless Ben has Bradshaw like complications from his elbow surgery - the Steelers would not max out the benefit of having a good QB on his rookie deal even if they guessed right when drafting one
    Spot on Burrow, Tua, Herbert... they are all about as good as Matt Ryan.

Give me Minkah Fitzpatrick... and Jacob Eason in R2.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

If MR is going to be an NFL QB he will take this adversity and do everything he can to get better, otherwise he wasn’t tuff enough to handle life as an NFL QB anyway. We have seen everything that MR can give us at this point, now we can see what Duck has, starting with the upcoming Browns revenge game.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

You mean Matt Ryan, the 10th leading passer in the history of the game?

... God, I hate these stupid rules.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I can only hope so.

This is why a benching is a bad idea. A benching is a risk and effectively means that quarterback is destroyed and you cannot go back to him. Rudolph is finished. Tomlin just destroyed a quarterback right before our eyes. The Steelers won the game, but at what cost?

Let’s see what Hodges does will full time work.
    At the cost of not extending an experiment that wasn't working. Mason has gone down hill in each of his last three games. The moment they opened up the offense, he ceased being at all effective. The funny thing is, I was actually happy with his arm-strength today, at least for a couple of passes. However, he made terrible decisions and has regressed horribly.

And, if a single benching destroys a QB, then he doesn't have the mental toughness needed to play in the NFL anyway. Let Mason rest a while. Maybe he comes back and gets it right. Maybe he proves in camp next summer that he has worked through some of his problems. Maybe he proves it this week in practice. But that was a good call today and it won us the game.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Hopefully he can become Long Duck Dong and not Small Duck Dong

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If the Steelers next QB is some version of Matt Ryan, I’ll be pretty happy...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Don't misunderstand this because in no way am I saying these two are in the same class, however, for those of you who think this move just destroyed Rudolph let's not forget that Bradshaw was benched as well and it didn't destroy him. I'm happy that Tomlin made this move yesterday because it needed to be done but by no means do I think it destroyed Mason. We'll see what kind of character he shows in how he handles this.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I think Duck makes quicker reads and, maybe better decisions and, think about he was thrown in the Ravens in previous weeks played well. I like what I see in him.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I doubt his psyche is that damaged after being pulled. It's not the first time, and probably won't be the last.

Tomlin has given him opportunities. We are still in the hunt, so we can't just scrap games for evaluation.
    If we're out of it already, then you let him ride it out no matter what.

I'd gamble Mason starts against the Browns, but it might be the best idea to keep him out... just for the sake of the opponent.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Benching only breaks players when they are being yo-yod in and out based on no clear criteria. I don’t think anyone’s confused why Mason got benched. He stunk against a comically inept defense.

Plus, what would broken look like? Not much worse to get to.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If the Steelers next QB is some version of Matt Ryan, I’ll be pretty happy...lol
    True... but, I am happier that we have Ed Reed.

My Matty Ice comparison is basically the ceiling; none of them are on Big Ben’s level. I do not mind missing out on them, in favor of acquiring Fitzpatrick.

I’d rather go the Taperiots’ route: draft QB after QB in R2 or R3. Maybe you hit on one, maybe you don’t. Garappolo was a hit. Brissett was a hit. (But, unlike the Taperiots, we won’t allow our starting QB to run his heir out of town.)

Mason could develop. We have two years to find out. If not, he leaves. In the meantime, we should draft a QB next year and again the year after that (just like the Taperiots have done).

Jacob Eason in R2 was the best high school QB prospect in the country. He has flaws, but much like Kyle Allen (who I pegged as a starter years ago) the raw talent is undeniable.

Eason + Fitzpatrick > R1QB + Sean Davis

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

quack quack
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    quack quack
    Which was ironically the same sound Mason's INT made...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't see anything in Duck more than flashes. Sure, it might turn into more. He definitely deserves to be on an NFL roster, but when he faced a defense that was designed to stop the pass yesterday, he looked very unbrilliant.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't see anything in Duck more than flashes. Sure, it might turn into more. He definitely deserves to be on an NFL roster, but when he faced a defense that was designed to stop the pass yesterday, he looked very unbrilliant.
    That's the thing, Duck flashes. I haven't seen a single flash from Mason, besides for a few broken coverages on defense.

Which would be fine because even if he only hits a few passes, the defense has to respect that more than from the current passes Mason has been throwing. It has already been discussed in the last weeks that his throws are mostly, if not all, outside the numbers and within 5 yards of the LOS. There have been limited throws between the hashes. I think Duck is seeing that middle more effectively and once the defense has to honor that threat, it started moving guys back. In turn, loosening up the LOS for the run. We're going nowhere .vs stacked boxes. We have to have some kind of middle/deep pass game. Something Mason just hasn't had the past couple weeks.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Mason R needed to get benched.

But let's not wet ourselves in excitement for a guy who, after the Washington TD, went 3-9 for 28 yards. The same guy who against the Chargers ran an "offense" that would have embarrassed some high school teams.

I'm rooting for them both. But the Steelers are currently receiving the WORST QB play in the entire league outside of Trubisky. Maybe the Allens? Still, bottom 10%.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

My Matty Ice comparison is basically the ceiling; none of them are on Big Ben’s level. I do not mind missing out on them, in favor of acquiring Fitzpatrick.

I’d rather go the Taperiots’ route: draft QB after QB in R2 or R3. Maybe you hit on one, maybe you don’t. Garappolo was a hit. Brissett was a hit. (But, unlike the Taperiots, we won’t allow our starting QB to run his heir out of town.)

Mason could develop. We have two years to find out. If not, he leaves. In the meantime, we should draft a QB next year and again the year after that (just like the Taperiots have done).

Jacob Eason in R2 was the best high school QB prospect in the country. He has flaws, but much like Kyle Allen (who I pegged as a starter years ago) the raw talent is undeniable.

Interesting. But I can’t see us using a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a QB next year. And I really don’t think we should. We need to try and squeeze another Super Bowl our of BR now that we have a defense that can do it.

I think 2021 is when we start looking for QBs again. It would be great if Mason really does just need a few years to cook... but at this point I just don’t see it. Kind of like a Josh Dobbs situation without the athleticism. I honestly don’t what about Rudolph makes him a better prospect than any other back up. I never watched him in college. What made him seem special?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I agree with everything you’ve been saying. I’m just saying this year, next year, whatever...if we are
    Stuck with a Matt Ryan to watch, I’m good with that.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    That's the thing, Duck flashes. I haven't seen a single flash from Mason, besides for a few broken coverages on defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Which would be fine because even if he only hits a few passes, the defense has to respect that more than from the current passes Mason has been throwing. It has already been discussed in the last weeks that his throws are mostly, if not all, outside the numbers and within 5 yards of the LOS. There have been limited throws between the hashes. I think Duck is seeing that middle more effectively and once the defense has to honor that threat, it started moving guys back. In turn, loosening up the LOS for the run. We're going nowhere .vs stacked boxes. We have to have some kind of middle/deep pass game. Something Mason just hasn't had the past couple weeks.
    I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, if Tomlin starts Rudolph, I won't even watch the game. I'm just pumping the brakes on the dynasty.

Serious question, with Mason and his 'pedigree', does he do anything better than Duck other than be 6'5 and built physically like the 'prototypical' QB?

Duck is better at: ball placement (actually hits receivers in stride), making quick decisions, feeling out pressure, mobility / scrambling, leadership. They have similar arm strength. Sure, Hodges is a lot more ballsy and that could result in turnovers, but I rather have a QB with big balls than a scared and indecisive one

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Serious question, with Mason and his 'pedigree', does he do anything better than Duck other than be 6'5 and built physically like the 'prototypical' QB?

Duck is better at: ball placement (actually hits receivers in stride), making quick decisions, feeling out pressure, mobility / scrambling, leadership. They have similar arm strength. Sure, Hodges is a lot more ballsy and that could result in turnovers, but I rather have a QB with big balls than a scared and indecisive one
    Both are going to get us into trouble. But the jig is up with Rudolph - they have figured him out and he doesn't appear to have a Plan B. So he is going to get shut down mercilessly from here on out; I predict we will win about 0 games for the rest of the season that way.

Duck is really the only choice we have at this point. It's going to be about as safe as a drunk driver steering a tanker truck full of nitroglycerine through a school zone, but the only other option is being stuck im the mud.

As long as we're on car analogies, one time I saw a bumper sticker that said "My other car is a PIECE OF SHIT TOO!" and that about summarizes where we're at right now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Steelers reporters who attend practice say that Rudolph has a stronger arm.

Rudolph cannot get a pass of with any kind of form though so everyone of his passes is either half assed or off target.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Which was ironically the same sound Mason's INT made...
    and was plucked out of the air .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Both are going to get us into trouble. But the jig is up with Rudolph - they have figured him out and he doesn't appear to have a Plan B. So he is going to get shut down mercilessly from here on out; I predict we will win about 0 games for the rest of the season that way.

Duck is really the only choice we have at this point. It's going to be about as safe as a drunk driver steering a tanker truck full of nitroglycerine through a school zone, but the only other option is being stuck im the mud.

As long as we're on car analogies, one time I saw a bumper sticker that said "My other car is a PIECE OF SHIT TOO!" and that about summarizes where we're at right now.
    You can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

Steelers reporters who attend practice say that Rudolph has a stronger arm.
    When he has proper mechanics, isn't under pressure, and can focus on doing everything right. But if even one of those things disappears, he arm goes weak. He had a couple strong throws yesterday that I was happy with. Then, he had a bunch of horrible or weak throws. No thank you. I'd rather have Duck who at least can consistently get the ball out with some oomph, even if it is 3/4s what Mason can do when the stars align on the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    You can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?
    It really depends on how much you like sticking your head up bulls' asses.
    See you Space Cowboy ...