Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rudolph experiment is over.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Rudolph experiment is over.

Officially benched. Ain’t never coming back from that. Ducky comes in and fires a 79-yard shot to his man Washington.

I was rooting hard for the guy, but he just wasn’t getting the job done. I was wrong about him.

Go get ‘em Duck.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: The Rudolph experiment is over.

Unfortunately, I think it has to end. He lacks the necessary pocket presence, he lacks the necessary footwork and he doesn’t throw with accuracy on a regular basis.

I think they have to fly with the Duck from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Neither of them are the answer. The quest to find the next franchise QB continues in earnest.

And for as much shit that Roethlisberger took over calling MR a "wasted pick," it certainly seems like he was right.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Unfortunately, I think it has to end. He lacks the necessary pocket presence, he lacks the necessary footwork and he doesn’t throw with accuracy on a regular basis.

I think they have to fly with the Duck from here on out.
    This exactly. He has no pocket presence whatsoever. He just stands there, has no clue how to shuffle right/left to find a passing lane, and throws into coverage horribly. He just doesn't have "it". Hodges isn't an NFL QB either but at least he gives you a CHANCE to win, MR does not.

I could see riding Hodges until Ben's real replacement is found. I'd be surprised if Rudolph in on this team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Neither of them are the answer. The quest to find the next franchise QB continues in earnest.

And for as much shit that Roethlisberger took over calling MR a "wasted pick," it certainly seems like he was right.
    Ben R. deserves all the shit and then some. If Ben didn’t open his mouth about retiring, maybe the Steelers don’t waste a pick on Rudy.

When you’re threatening retirement, the organization has to start looking. Just because this guy didn’t pan out doesn’t mean they can’t get ready without you.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Time for Bubby Brister #2. He's not much better at the moment but honestly at least he flashes some real potential at times. Still haven't seen it from Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Play Duck until he loses, which probably will be next week

Steelers needed to find out if Rudolph was the guy - I think they know he is not - he is regressing

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben R. deserves all the shit and then some. If Ben didn’t open his mouth about retiring, maybe the Steelers don’t waste a pick on Rudy.

When you’re threatening retirement, the organization has to start looking. Just because this guy didn’t pan out doesn’t mean they can’t get ready without you.

Sure....it's all Ben's fault.

You really are insufferable.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Play Duck until he loses, which probably will be next week

Steelers needed to find out if Rudolph was the guy - I think they know he is not - he is regressing
    that's what's bothering me about him, no progression

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Rudolph is just too tentative to make it in this league. He locks up quickly and defaults to the safest throw on the field. That worked ok for a few games, but once other teams figured out he was taking the dump-offs not because he was a savvy checkdown artist, but a panicked newcomer, that was the end of that.

Hodges is the opposite, he feels the pressure and tries to make something happen, but gets kind of wild instead. That's got trouble written all over it.

Neither of these guys are very good at reacting on the fly when the play doesn't go exactly according to plan. Night and day compared to when Ben is playing.

Maybe Hodges will get it under control given more experience, but I wouldn't count on it. Unfortunately, we still need to keep looking for our next QB, because Ben R. isn't playing until he's 50.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I womder how much getting his bell rung on that dirty shot against Baltimore took a toll on Rudolph. Since that game, he’s been skittish and turned into a statue.

Ironically, that was the very last time, among few times, we saw him move in the pocket and make a play downfield. To him, moving around and making a play will put him back in the hospital, so he just doesn’t do it.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I really thought MR was good in the preseason, he was accurate and made good decisions, but as the season has gone on, he hasn’t improved and has gotten worse. He hasn’t had any help, with all the dropped passes and all and the play calling by moron mcfitchner. But it was immediately obvious that Duck has more pocket awareness, better throws and can actually run when needed. I am all for Duck finishing out the season, to see what he has got when he gets first team reps.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Since we are still in the playoff hunt you go with the QB that gives you the best chance to win and that is Duck. Besides I think the Steelers finally seen enough of Rudy to know he is not the future.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Officially benched. Ain’t never coming back from that. Ducky comes in and fires a 79-yard shot to his man Washington.

I was rooting hard for the guy, but he just wasn’t getting the job done. I was wrong about him.

Go get ‘em Duck.
    I was wrong as well. Didn’t expect pro-bowl play but he hasn’t even show any starter level play.
    Hasn’t shown any progress at all in any aspect of being a productive QB.

Wasn’t there talk that the Steelers had a first round grade on him. Ouch.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Rudolph got scapegoated. He's not a franchise QB but he had no help either. The O-line has not helped him, the receivers have not helped him, and Milton Waddams Fichtner is horrible. The Steelers should have hired a QB coach to work with him, instead they lazily keep the QB coach designation to Fichtner after his undeserved promotion to OC, and the only coach Rudolph has to work with is a guy who is completely clueless if asked to do anything other than say yes to Ben. I think they need to dump Fichtner immediately and hire someone who can actually help a QB

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Hodges shouldn't get most of the snaps during practice this week, he should get ALL of them. Hodges has shown the ability to come cold off the bench and be productive, pocket awareness and mobility. Give him the reins and allow him to progress.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Hodges attempts the throws a QB has to make to move the chains and win games. He's got more mobility, he connects to moving targets better, and IMO the guys like to play for him a bit better. Remember, he had the team rolling and almost won in overtime if not for Ju-ju, and won his lone start on the road. He also bailed us out, winning this game. You could say he won two games, and almost won a third, but didn't due to a key bad play from the WR.

If Randy Fichtner is a top offensive coordinator ( He's better than Todd Haley ) I see an offense he can put in around Duck. Get Nix back, use Whyte, who was a bit of a revelation more often, go for a Ravens like Offense.., mixing in some screens to an offensive line that can naturally set them up by pass-blocking poorly, and perhaps more play action.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

And you're precisely the type of "fan" who deserves 20+ more years of absolute suck at the QB position.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I really wanted Rudolph to be next franchise QB,Ben probably plays 1 more year so 2 drafts to find replacement. Rudolph unless something drastic happens is not that guy. On top of all the deficiencies is the fact that he is zero threat to take off and run. If there is no threat he needs to be that much better being a pocket passer. Hodges is slightly better at everything to this point, great move by Tomlin and IMO he has to be starter against stains. Rudolph to this point would be a solid backup, slightly better than Landry. Ben has spoiled us, but I really want a QB who can keep plays alive and run for first down if needed. You think about all the shitty O lines Ben played with and still made playoffs. Rudolph has zero chance with big pressure, I agree experiment is or should be over.

And you're precisely the type of "fan" who deserves 20+ more years of absolute suck at the QB position.
    Don’t Criticize the great lord Ben.

Can I ask you what was so illustrious about the 2010’s as compared to the 1980’s?

I’ve already dealt with the Kordell years with a decade of underachievement at the QB position already. I think I’ll live.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Can I ask you what was so illustrious about the 2010’s compared as compared to the 1980’s? They’re mostly the same if you ask me.

I’ve already dealt with a decade of underachievement at the QB position already. I think I’ll live.
    I would agree with you through 1984

But after that the 70s players aged out and by 1988 that team was craptastically bad

Don’t Criticize the great lord Ben.

Can I ask you what was so illustrious about the 2010’s as compared to the 1980’s?

I’ve already dealt with the Kordell years with a decade of underachievement at the QB position already. I think I’ll live.
    There's "criticism" and then there's "scapegoating." I'll leave it to you to figure out the difference.

The Kordell "Era" was but a small blip on a much larger radar. But here's your cookie for "surviving."

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Without question.

He has been crucifying Ben for years. He criticizes every aspect of his game. He wanted him to retire. In the game day thread today, he said that there would be no difference if Ben was in there.

He told everyone that Rudolph is the guy and that he is as good as Ben is.

He continues to make stupid comments and screams his wacky thoughts as if they are truths.

The prototypical chump fan that doesn't know what he had with a franchise QB leading his team for a decade and a half, and hopes for his demise so the team moves on from him so he attaches himself to anybody that isn't Ben. He was crushing anybody that didn't jump on board with Rudolph while simultaneously explaining what Ben sucked at or that he was only interested in stats and didn't care about winning.

Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    that's what's bothering me about him, no progression
    He already was coming apart - what happened at the end of the Browns game along with the aftermath in which some of the national media and Garrett engaged in race baiting, which the league took with the $50K fine nine days after the assault, may have broken him

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    He already was coming apart - what happened at the end of the Browns game along with the aftermath in which some of the national media and Garrett engaged in race baiting, which the league took with the $50K fine nine days after the assault, may have broken him

I don't think he ever had it and was okay the first couple weeks throwing to the rbs. Teams figured that out now and Imo why the decline.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Hodges attempts the throws a QB has to make to move the chains and win games. He's got more mobility, he connects to moving targets better, and IMO the guys like to play for him a bit better. Remember, he had the team rolling and almost won in overtime if not for Ju-ju, and won his lone start on the road. He also bailed us out, winning this game. You could say he won two games, and almost won a third, but didn't due to a key bad play from the WR.
    This is entirely inaccurate, the defense and Connor won the LA Chargers game, all Duck did was throw dumpoffs all night. I don't remember him completing a pass more than 10 yards all night. The defense also won the Bengals game. He had that one throw but he was 5/11 the entire day and the offense didn't do anything other than that TD. At this point, this screwed offensively for the rest of the season regardless of who starts at QB. All they can do is overhaul the offense after the season is over and hope somehow Ben fully recovers

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

But isn't that still more than Mason is giving us?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Duck didn’t look timid. And, he threw it downfield.

Those two things made the safeties play back, which allowed Snell to win the game.