Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rudolph experiment is over.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Re: The Rudolph experiment is over.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    Well, almost two months post surgery Ben won't even shake hands with his right paw. After the game was shown protecting his arm against any accidental contact.

I'm not hopeful we'll ever see Big Ben suit up again.

That said, Mason is NOT the answer. I don't think that Duck is overly impressed by anyone. That's good! Keep him in! He'll make mistakes, but he'll try!
    It's November - two months after surgery. Ben doesn't need to throw a football for 8 more months. Relax. He'll be back.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    It's November - two months after surgery. Ben doesn't need to throw a football for 8 more months. Relax. He'll be back.
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when this first happened, we were all worried it was a Tommy John injury that would take 18 months to recover from. And the official response was "Tommy John surgery only takes 18 months for baseball pitchers, for football QBs it's more like 9 months, and actually this isn't even a Tommy John surgery, it's something less serious and you're back to normal in a few months."

This sounds a lot less like that, anyway. If he's back to normal by the start of next season, I'll take it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Ben and his Drama... just a little tennis elbow. He'll be back.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

It's the Wade Wilson effect. There's 2 types of QB's, one that has a bad game and has his confidence shot, or ones that bounce back. This QB from the Saints I remember, looked like a world beater 6 games into the season and started of 6-0. Had one terrible game vs the Steelers (threw 2 INTs to Rod Woodson, one being a pick 6) and then his entire season looked shot after that. Dude went from looking like a good starter to a rattled shell of his former self.

IMO this is where you figure out if you have someone with a real future in the NFL or not. Mason didn't pass this test.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If Ben was any kind of player he'd be back by now under center. It's all for attention.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

My optimistic self says that Trent Dilfer has won a SB doing nothing special except protecting the ball. So if Duck can protect the ball - we have a chance to make the playoffs.

my pessimistic self says that we got serious problems. Ben is injury prone and not a guarantee to come back next year as his normal self. And this team is too mature at the OL and defense to experiment with a mid round rookie QB. We need a veteran backup like Bridgewater.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d take Kordell at QB right now in a second...lol.
    I actually think Kordell was ahead of his time. I feel If he was drafted now he'd do quite well!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think Rudolph got scapegoated. He's not a franchise QB but he had no help either. The O-line has not helped him, the receivers have not helped him, and Milton Waddams Fichtner is horrible. The Steelers should have hired a QB coach to work with him, instead they lazily keep the QB coach designation to Fichtner after his undeserved promotion to OC, and the only coach Rudolph has to work with is a guy who is completely clueless if asked to do anything other than say yes to Ben. I think they need to dump Fichtner immediately and hire someone who can actually help a QB
    And yet, Duck was able to pull victory from defeat. His two games have been better than Rudolph's first two games. So, either every learned the game of football in the few seconds it took to change QBs, or Rudolph had a problem that Duck doesn't have. Never mind they protected Rudolph for almost half a season from making stupid plays. When they couldn't do that anymore, he started making mistakes.
    Last edited by Craic; 11-26-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    I actually think Kordell was ahead of his time. I feel If he was drafted now he'd do quite well!
    Kordell was the original athletic read-option type QB whose coaches ruined his career by trying to make him a drop-back passer. It's like we invented that bonehead move 20 years before it came in style.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Kordell was the original athletic read-option type QB whose coaches ruined his career by trying to make him a drop-back passer. It's like we invented that bonehead move 20 years before it came in style.
    I think you're exactly right. I have no idea why, when a QB plays better in movement, teams try to force them to stay in the pocket. Play to the strengths, not the weaknesses. Sure, force the player to stretch. I get it. But not to his detriment. Then again, had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I think you're exactly right. I have no idea why, when a QB plays better in movement, teams try to force them to stay in the pocket. Play to the strengths, not the weaknesses. Sure, force the player to stretch. I get it. But not to his detriment. Then again, had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.
    Idk man. Jack of all trades....master of none.

I think he had all the tools...the Steelers just didnt have the vision to get the most out of Kordell

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Indeed

Kordell’s one weakness: throwing the ball
    Kordell’s strength: running

So, what does Ray Sherman do? He tells Kordell to never run. The 1997 AFCCG would have been a victory if Kordell simply runs into the end-zone (as opposed to passing it into triple coverage).

- - - Updated - - -

had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.
    Absolutely!!! No one else has ever had his skill set. Kordell truly could play three positions. Le’Veon Bell is close (RB, WR), but even Bell isn’t anywhere close to what Kordell was.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He was the wildcat before Ronnie Brown made it “famous”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Then again, had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.
    I’ve been thinking that for years! He was dominating as Slash!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’ve been thinking that for years! He was dominating as Slash!
    Run CMC might be close... but, nah. Not even he is what Kordell could have been.

I loved watching Slash.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

So would you guys take Bubby Brister over Rudolph now?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    So would you guys take Bubby Brister over Rudolph now?
    Honestly I would!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

This team could win the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnel at QB.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    This team could win the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnel at QB.
    as long as we’re not playing the cowboys in the super bowl

This team could make noise with Charlie Batch,

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    as long as we’re not playing the cowboys in the super bowl

This team could make noise with Charlie Batch,
    I wouldn't go that far. However, either of these young QBs would do well to have Batch as their backup. Just hope he doesn't touch the field. At least, the Batch of the last 3-4 years of his career.

Bring in batch as a qb coach

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Bring in batch as a qb coach
    I said that way back when he retired. Just keep him here. Take his helmet and pads and give him a baseball hat and a collared shirt.

Personally, I never want to see Rudolph behind center again. Ever. Unless it's with the team the Steelers are playing.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Personally, I never want to see Rudolph behind center again. Ever. Unless it's with the team the Steelers are playing.
    I wonder, did you say that when Bradshaw was benched several times? Those are strong words that will not age well if Mason gets his head on straight. I'm a fan of the Steelers first, and this includes all players and coaches. As long as they are on THIS team, I'm pulling for them to succeed.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

He is probably the worse Steeler starting QB I ever seen other then Mark Mallone.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    He is probably the worse Steeler starting QB I ever seen other then Mark Mallone.
    Malone was better. He wasn’t accurate, but he was mobile and had a great arm. Worst since Kent Graham?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Then you haven't seen many Steelers QBs from the 80's. Can we just drop the hyperbole? Fuck it, nevermind this shit is falling on deaf ears anyways. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Malone was better. He wasn’t accurate, but he was mobile and had a great arm. Worst since Kent Graham?
    I meant Kent at camp. I yelled Ted Danson and he came over and we all laughed. He stood there for 14 hours signing autographs without moving his legs. Ps. most of this story is true.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Then you haven't seen many Steelers QBs from the 80's. Can we just drop the hyperbole? Fuck it, nevermind this shit is falling on deaf ears anyways. Carry on.
    I get what you're saying....... but....... here's some hyperbole that's common around here..... all these terrible starting quarterbacks from the 80's. There were a total of FIVE starting QBs for the Steelers in the 80's that started more than 5 games, and one of them is in the HOF.

80's QB and Games Started:
    Bradshaw 39
    Stoudt 16
    Malone 45
    Woodley 13
    Brister 29

So...... can everybody stop throwing around the hyperbole of all these horrible QBs. They may have been horrible but there were only four of them.