Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rudolph experiment is over.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Rudolph experiment is over.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    There's "criticism" and then there's "scapegoating." I'll leave it to you to figure out the difference.

The Kordell "Era" was but a small blip on a much larger radar. But here's your cookie for "surviving."
    You must be talking about those mythical horrible twenty five years “after Bradshaw” where the Steelers still went to AFC title games and Super Bowls. Those “horrible years” right?

Speaking of Bradshaw, he was hung in effigy in Pittsburgh and benched several times and benched for the better part of four years before he ever found his stride in the 70’s. I guess he didn’t have it either or Pittsburghers were just dickheads.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d take Kordell at QB right now in a second...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This is entirely inaccurate, the defense and Connor won the LA Chargers game, all Duck did was throw dumpoffs all night. I don't remember him completing a pass more than 10 yards all night. The defense also won the Bengals game. He had that one throw but he was 5/11 the entire day and the offense didn't do anything other than that TD. At this point, this screwed offensively for the rest of the season regardless of who starts at QB. All they can do is overhaul the offense after the season is over and hope somehow Ben fully recovers
    His first drive was more than MR put together in 2.5 qrtrs, also he got no 1st teams snaps pretty much all season. So, at this point we have nothing to lose, we know what we have in MR, may as well see what Duck can do to finish out this season.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    His first drive was more than MR put together in 2.5 qrtrs, also he got no 1st teams snaps pretty much all season. So, at this point we have nothing to lose, we know what we have in MR, may as well see what Duck can do to finish out this season.
    Not saying stick with Rudolph, I'm just saying it probably doesn't matter either way. It's also counterpoint to people want to anoint Duck as the savior of the season after literally one long pass play

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Not saying stick with Rudolph, I'm just saying it probably doesn't matter either way. It's also counterpoint to people want to anoint Duck as the savior of the season after literally one long pass play
    Duck also had a few passes where he hit the wr in stride and you don't see Mason able to do that. Duck may not be the savior but he gives you a better chance to win and since we still are in the playoff hunt. You role with him in my opinion.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rudolph is a statue and even worse since the concussion hit.

Duck is no savior but at least he doesn't look scared and can scramble.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Really disappointed with Rudolph's play. When we drafted him, he felt like the guy that would take over for Ben. He looks lost out there. Panicky, doesn't move in the pocket at all. No slide step to improve the passing lanes, no tuck and go, just dump it off to whoever is closest to him.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

One of the biggest problems I've seen with Mason the last few games is that he was hanging on the ball too damn long waiting for someone to become open. He never tried go get out of the pocket or just throw the damn ball in the stands, therefore sacks and big lost of yardage. Hell, we started one series at the 6 yard line and ended having to kick a FG. I like Mason, but I'm all for Duck finishing the season if he keeps us rolling. Scary, ugly win today, but a GREAT one.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Duck is no savior but at least he doesn't look scared and can scramble.
    Indeed It keeps the safeties from stacking the box. It may not be much, but it’s just enough to allow our RBs to have a chance to move the chains.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think another poster nailed it when they said Duck helps the offense be less one-dimensional because he is willing to try throws in the 10-20 yard range that Rudolph just will not. That keeps the defense from selling out against the short stuff, and if nothing else, makes the running game and screens more effective.

He does not look great on a lot of those mid-range passes, and he is going to make some bad mistakes.

But even that is better than the Rudolph situation, which is basically that we are going to get shut down entirely, now that other teams have him figured out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think mason will be back after the Browns game. Colbert and Rudolph were talking and chuckling on the sideline as the game was going on. Doesn’t strike me as an experiment that is over. Duck isn’t the answer, lots of back up QBs have come into a game and looked good, most of the time it just that the defense needs to adjust to a new player, and they do.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    You must be talking about those mythical horrible twenty five years “after Bradshaw” where the Steelers still went to AFC title games and Super Bowls. Those “horrible years” right?

Speaking of Bradshaw, he was hung in effigy in Pittsburgh and benched several times and benched for the better part of four years before he ever found his stride in the 70’s. I guess he didn’t have it either or Pittsburghers were just dickheads.

You're the one hanging Big Ben with your words for years. Just like those Pittsburghers you call dickheads.

Man, you are all over the place, and none of your thoughts make much sense.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think mason will be back after the Browns game. Colbert and Rudolph were talking and chuckling on the sideline as the game was going on. Doesn’t strike me as an experiment that is over. Duck isn’t the answer, lots of back up QBs have come into a game and looked good, most of the time it just that the defense needs to adjust to a new player, and they do.
    Well bradshaw was benched, but somehow I don’t think it’ll end the same way

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    You're just on a roll for being wrong. Duck isn't the answer obviously, but he's an upgrade over MR.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Well bradshaw was benched, but somehow I don’t think it’ll end the same way
    Agreed, mason will not win 4 SB’s but Duck, Lynch and Ben won’t either.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    You're just on a roll for being wrong. Duck isn't the answer obviously, but he's an upgrade over MR.

Well if it isn’t Dr. Jekyll! How was your blood pressure today?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Welcome to the instant gratification era of sports. I mean Ben kind of ruined it for everyone after him. Ripping off 15 straight wins a rookie and winning a superbowl the next year. Up until than QBs used to be groomed for 3 4 years before getting called into action.

I'm gonna ramble so hold on...

I think Mason overthinks and doesnt allow himself to trust his instincts. While hodges doesnt think at all and just let's it rip.

Mason has all the tools to be good, but I think the Thomas hit he has never recovered. Then in a frustrating loss get cracked over his head with helmet and a week later gets accused a racist.

Up until Thomas s dirty hit, I though he had great pocket presence. After, he holds on to the ball and almost waits to see where the pass rush is behind before throwing. Locks in and doesnt move .

Where do we go from here?

Let Ducky take the flag until we as fans want to tar and feather him as well(lol he really be a duck than) . Mason should appreciate time out of the spotlight and offload some pressure that has mounted up in 3 weeks. Clear head mason is way better than what we have seen. I hope we keep him when Ben gets back to really reset himself and reconsider in a a year or two.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Well, almost two months post surgery Ben won't even shake hands with his right paw. After the game was shown protecting his arm against any accidental contact.

I'm not hopeful we'll ever see Big Ben suit up again.

That said, Mason is NOT the answer. I don't think that Duck is overly impressed by anyone. That's good! Keep him in! He'll make mistakes, but he'll try!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Rudolph honestly started regressing after he was figured out (Midway through the Indy game). Indy started locking down the running back and then the offense hasn't moved ever since. Teams have been copying that and will continue that until they prove they can push the ball downfield.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The Steelers will have to wait until 2021 to pick a QB early.

But wait, maybe it will take MR 4 seasons to be ready. I say we let him screw around for 4 years. Then, after those 4 years, if he makes a few good plays the Steelers can lock him up for a huge contract.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    Well, almost two months post surgery Ben won't even shake hands with his right paw. After the game was shown protecting his arm against any accidental contact.

I'm not hopeful we'll ever see Big Ben suit up again.
    Yep, I'm not either.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Duck came in and helped us win the game so props to him, but he will only be as good as his last win. He still has a lot to prove so we will see how it all plays out. I am not so sure he is any better than Mason at this point, but that being said I would start him vs the clowns this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The Steelers will have to wait until 2021 to pick a QB early.

But wait, maybe it will take MR 4 seasons to be ready. I say we let him screw around for 4 years. Then, after those 4 years, if he makes a few good plays the Steelers can lock him up for a huge contract.
    Well one thing you can give the Steelers credit for is letting Boswell hang around because the bulk of this forum would have booted him last year with no idea of why he was having issues.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

No turning back... I was one of his biggest supporters, but he regressed and never made progress. Outside of his first two passes, Duck didn't look much better, but he's got to be the guy for now. Who knows, maybe Paxton plays at some point.

#beatthebrowns

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d take Kordell at QB right now in a second...lol.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Rudolph’s last three games:

Punt, Punt, Punt,, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT

Turnover on downs, Turnover on downs, Turnover on downs

TD, TD

FG

Missed FG

Fumble

Safety

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Punt, Punt, Punt,, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT

TD, TD

FG

Missed FG

Fumble

Safety
    Well, when you put it like that . . .

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

He definitely wasn't playing lights out and was good yet, but IMO i think the knockout hit he took a month ago or so has shaken him mentally more than he even realizes. Last weeks end of game may have shaken him a little more. Some QB's never shake off them mental mistakes. I think he should start, not because he has earned it but because we need to see if he can shake this off or not. This may be what it takes to get over the hump and if he starts off terrible, yank him and and start duck rest of season and we draft a QB in the 2nd round next year or get Brady lol.
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT

TD, TD

FG

Missed FG

Fumble

Safety
    That’s not in sequence though, right?

For a second I got excited, thinking Mason might have gotten two TDs in a row! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    That’s not in sequence though, right?

For a second I got excited, thinking Mason might have gotten two TDs in a row! Lol
    No... not in order.

I collated it into sort of an info-graph.