Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Myles Garrett says Mason Rudolph used a racial slur. What do think happened?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Myles Garrett says Mason Rudolph used a racial slur. What do think happened?

I definitely think Garrett thought this proceeding were private and never expected to have to back up his statement.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Myles Garrett says Mason Rudolph used a racial slur. What do think happened?

Man, this whole situation just sucks. There’s no good version. I tend to believe that if Rudolph screamed a racial slur At Garrett, someone would have heard it. Also, I can’t see anyone throwing out a racial slur in this game, where most of his own teammates are black. It just doesn’t make any sense.

But I also hate the anger it’s going to cause amongst fans and press as so many people will feel forced to choose sides and stick to their guns.

I think at this point someone needs to ask Garrett the exact racial slur he heard. And at exactly what point in the melee it took place. I honestly am having a difficult time envisioning the plausibility of it without specifics.

If Garrett is telling the truth, he owes it to the world to walk us through it exactly as it happened.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I definitely think Garrett thought this proceeding were private and never expected to have to back up his statement.

Garrett may be clueless enough to believe that sort of inflammatory accusation would not leak but his reps knew better

May have gone like this:

Reps tell Garrett proceedings are not open to the public while also saying make sure you assert all your defenses

Garrett tells reps for first time he called me n***er

Reps now faced with not representing Garrett properly if they sit on accusation while knowing it is explosive and will get out - so they try to soft peddle it with the “hey just passing this along but not asserting it to get the suspension reduced” line

With regard to Garrett it comes back to the great line when the Deep Throat character in All The President’s Men explains how Watergate unraveled - “the fact is these aren’t very bright guys - and things got out of hand”

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

One thing is for sure, if Mason ever used the ‘N’ word in the 3rd grade, we’ll hear about it soon.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Garrett may be clueless enough to believe that sort of inflammatory accusation would not leak but his reps knew better

May have gone like this:

Reps tell Garrett proceedings are not open to the public while also saying make sure you assert all your defenses

Garrett tells reps for first time he called me n***er

Reps now faced with not representing Garrett properly if they sit on accusation while knowing it is explosive and will get out - so they try to soft peddle it with the “hey just passing this along but not asserting it to get the suspension reduced” line

With regard to Garrett it comes back to the great line when the Deep Throat character in All The President’s Men explains how Watergate unraveled - “the fact is these aren’t very bright guys - and things got out of hand”
    I think you’re right that Garrett probably didn’t really think through the repercussions of this. It’s going to not only follow Rudolph around, but he’s going to get a LOT of angry people now assuming he’s lying and playing the race card. If Garrett is indeed inventing this, then he made such a huge mistake for his own life. People will divide, and choose sides, and dig in. There will be so much hate thrown at both of theses players.

And believe me, I think we have to take accusations of racism seriously. But if it’s true you’d think Garrett would be wanting to scream out the details from the highest mountain top, rather than trying to play it down as something said in confidence. Why not give the world the specific details so we’ll be more inclined to believe him.

If I were Rudolph, maybe I’d reach out to him and explain how bad this will get and offer Garrett an out to say that maybe he misheard something. I just hate to see this get really ugly and further divide people.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    One thing is for sure, if Mason ever used the ‘N’ word in the 3rd grade, we’ll hear about it soon.
    He apparently has followed some folks on social media that IMO Mark Madden correctly says is going to be exploited by the usual suspects. It flew under the radar but apparently this was a thing for some of those engaged in online attacks to advance the legacy of struggle earlier this season.

The story isn’t done metastasizing.

Rudolph seems to lean right based on tweets he liked criticizing Colin Kaepernick’s kneeling stance and sports journalist/social justice warrior Jemele Hill (ex-ESPN). Rudolph is also said to be a fan of conservative political commentator Tomi Lahren.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...dolph-forever/

Given that players will do anything to rattle the QB, particularly a QB who has not been a rock of stability, the trash talk he is going to be receiving starting Sunday hopefully does not screw up his performance or cause the Steelers to incur penalties if they decide something has crossed the line and needs to be stopped.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Picture this. Mason Rudolph frustrated and in the middle of a fist fight uses the n- word towards Garrett, Rudolph uses this knowing full well 80% of his teammates, the majority of the opposing teams players not to mention his head coach and a few others on the Steelers coaching staff are Black. It makes ZERO sense.

He apparently has followed some folks on social media that IMO Mark Madden correctly says is going to be exploited by the usual suspects. It flew under the radar but apparently this was a thing for some of those engaged in online attacks to advance the legacy of struggle earlier this season.

Rudolph seems to lean right based on tweets he liked criticizing Colin Kaepernick’s kneeling stance and sports journalist/social justice warrior Jemele Hill (ex-ESPN). Rudolph is also said to be a fan of conservative political commentator Tomi Lahren.

Given that players will do anything to rattle the QB, particularly a QB who has not been a rock of stability, the trash talk he is going to be receiving starting Sunday hopefully does not screw up his performance or cause the Steelers to incur penalties if they decide something has crossed the line and needs to be stopped.
    Wow. Yeah, it’s gonna get worse.

Well, we’ve all been saying that Rudolph is mentally tough. I guess now we’ll see how well he does maintaining focus through all of this.

I think having Tomlin as a head coach might really be a good thing for Rudolph right now. Not just because Tomlin is African American, but because he is also very good at remaining calm and tuning out external noise. He’ll be helpful to Rudolph in that regard.

The Steelers in general have a very good reputation with being at the forefront of battling racial prejudice. If the organization stands by Rudolph, in my mind that helps Rudolph’s image through all of this.

But it will get bad...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Might be painted as a kid that grew up in S Carolina with some racial biases, given those references. I still see zero evidence or indication that anything was ever said. The fact that the accusations are shocking to Browns teammates as much as Steelers players says something IMO.

Rudolph grew up in a very Christian environment and his middle school was Christian centered and affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. I hope he would be prepared to turn the other cheek if some trash is being talked.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Might be painted as a kid that grew up in S Carolina with some racial biases, given those references. I still see zero evidence or indication that anything was ever said. The fact that the accusations are shocking to Browns teammates as much as Steelers players says something IMO.

Rudolph grew up in a very Christian environment and his middle school was Christian centered and affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. I hope he would be prepared to turn the other cheek if some trash is being talked.
    Lol. He obviously is more of a hot head than turn the other cheek guy.

But that in no way means he would ever be inclined to make a racial slur. I can’t even think of what Garrett is claiming was said. Did Garrett actually say what the racial slur was in the hearing?

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Myles Smollett just sealed his fate in the court of public opinion. Not only is he an unhinged asshole, he's also now a lying asshole who will do and say anything to get out of the predicament he's put himself in.

It was fate that put him on either the Bengals, Raiders, Cowboys or ... of course ... the Browns. Those four teams seem to have a penchant for winding up with these types of whackaloons year after year.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Reflecting on Pouncey’s actions...if he heard his QB say it...I doubt he would have reacted the way he did.
    There was no hesitation on his part at all.
    If he heard “the word” his reaction would have been different IMO.
    It’s pure bullshit.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I think there's a difference between following and liking someone's post/profile. I'm pretty sure that millions of Trump's followers are actually very much against him, but considering that one tweet from the POTUS can influence the stock markets heavily it's a good advice to read his tweets if you're active in the stock market.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Myles Smollett just sealed his fate in the court of public opinion. Not only is he an unhinged asshole, he's also now a lying asshole who will do and say anything to get out of the predicament he's put himself in.

It was fate that put him on either the Bengals, Raiders, Cowboys or ... of course ... the Browns. Those four teams seem to have a penchant for winding up with these types of whackaloons year after year.
    The only thing is, there’s no way to PROVE he never said it. Because of that, a HUGE number of people will always assume that Rudolph is guilty, based on the accusation alone.

It’s unfortunate, but that’s the world we live in. This will haunt Rudolph probably far worse than it haunts Garrett going forward.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Lol. He obviously is more of a hot head than turn the other cheek guy.

But that in no way means he would ever be inclined to make a racial slur. I can’t even think of what Garrett is claiming was said. Did Garrett actually say what the racial slur was in the hearing?
    i think it’s actually very possible that it was Garrett that said something as he was driving Rudolph into the ground. After a rough game, that could be the final indignity that could set someone like Rudolph off. Of course Garrett would never admit it and probably Rudolph would not use it as an excuse. I could totally see it

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    i think it’s actually very possible that it was Garrett that said something as he was driving Rudolph into the ground. After a rough game, that could be the final indignity that could set someone like Rudolph off. Of course Garrett would never admit it and probably Rudolph would not use it as an excuse. I could totally see it
    I don’t think Garrett needed to say anything to motivate Rudolph’s anger. It was most likely the last drop in a waterfall of frustration that kept falling on Rudolph that game.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Re: Myles Garrett says Mason Rudolph used a racial slur. What do think?

Garrett's making crap up, playing the race card at the meeting trying to make things look better for him for less punishment. Pretty damn bad accusation thrown on Rudy....I'd sue Garrett for slander. No one heard it, and it took 7 days for the slur to sink in Garrett's ear's ??? Give me a break. Asshole making it up. In my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Garrett's making crap up, playing the race card at the meeting trying to make things look better for him for less punishment. Pretty damn bad accusation thrown on Rudy....I'd sue Garrett for slander. No one heard it, and it took 7 days for the slur to sink in Garrett's ear's ??? Give me a break. Asshole making it up. In my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

He made it up to try to justify his actions and convince the NFL to reduce his suspension. They've interviewed several of "his" teammates and none of them heard it or said he mentioned it until they heard it from the media. He would have said what happened in the locker room after the game if it had really taken place. #notbuyinit

- - - Updated - - -

I agreed with Rudolph not pressing charges and just moving on. If I was him, I'd reconsider after this little stunt.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

And yet NONE of the Steelers black players standing there heard it or cared about it?

LOL.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

If it actually happened, a huge deal would have been made about it immediately, not almost a week after the fact.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the racial slur is complete and utter bullshit ...

here is why ...

1) nobody else heard it

2) nobody would have defended Mason during the altercation

3) you do not use this as your defense for your actions nearly a week after the fact you do so right then that night !

and finally this ....

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the racial slur is complete and utter bullshit ...

here is why ...

1) nobody else heard it

2) nobody would have defended Mason during the altercation

3) you do not use this as your defense for your actions nearly a week after the fact you do so right then that night !

and finally this ....

Not to mention the NFL has mics all around the field and can pretty much pick up all the sounds...maybe no players mix’s, but they can hear the sounds of the game...unless maybe Rudolph just whispered it to him...lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

You people need to let this go. Yeah, I said "you people".

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not to mention the NFL has mics all around the field and can pretty much pick up all the sounds...maybe no players mix’s, but they can hear the sounds of the game...unless maybe Rudolph just whispered it to him...lol
    Primetime games someone may have been mic'd up

Merry Christmas

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

What makes a normally mild mannered guy act like that? He got punched through his own car window and didn't react. Garrett, by all standards is normally a very mild mannered, passive guy. What caused him to flip out like that? I'm just trying to figure it out.... not trying to cause trouble.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Primetime games someone may have been mic'd up

I think I read somewhere that the league investigated all the tapes and everything and found nothing. I would have to imagine that included the sounds as well...lol. But then you never know with this league...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    What makes a normally mild mannered guy act like that? He got punched through his own car window and didn't react. Garrett, by all standards is normally a very mild mannered, passive guy. What caused him to flip out like that? I'm just trying to figure it out.... not trying to cause trouble.
    Not this season.

Ask Delainie Walker

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Maybe Freddie Kitchens asked him and knows the answer - but Freddie says his conversations with Garrett are confidential

Garrett has been playing with more of an edge with two flagrantly dirty plays in the Titans and Jets games earlier this season

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/myl...t-01dsqhkbpbvs

Browns have been tired of being little brother to the Steelers forever, Kitchens has no control over the team that is off the leash and Garrett may simply have lost it without the social justice warriors’ explanation, that they started pushing immediately after the game with no basis whatsoever ever than rank speculation, that Rudolph said something egregiously inflammatory to set him off

The fallback explanation to Rudolph being a racist that also was offered by an ESPN “reporter” was that Mason grabbed Garrett’s nuts - but she backed off that too

“What word would be used to describe this if an NFL player grabbed a female’s private parts in a non-consensual way? Pause,” she wrote in the since-deleted tweet following the Browns’ 21-7 win over the Steelers. “Would that be assault? Male or female, this nonconsensual act right here is beyond invasive, provoking and wrong.”...

“Mistakes need to be owned, and I will own mine here,” Anderson tweeted Saturday. “With the benefit of additional angles, it’s clear my tweet misinterpreted one of the photos taken during the brawl. That’s my fault, I apologize. My goal is to always be completely accurate and fair.”

https://nypost.com/2019/11/16/espns-...e-parts-tweet/

No word on her being disciplined

Guess it is just too hard for those in the media with an agenda to accept sometimes people just snap due to their own demons

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Here's my question - what is supposed to happen, according to Garrett, if Rudolph DID say the N word?

Like - in terms of league discipline, so what?

You caused the prime spectacle of the year, are you really expecting to get off the hook because of the REASON you started the fight?

Oh, this guy called you a bad word, go ahead and do whatever you want? Really?

Maybe that could be a way to drag your enemy down with you - like, he should suffer some negative consequences also - but it's no defense for your own violence.
    See you Space Cowboy ...