Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feel free to disagree, but Rudolph remains a quality QB prospect

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Feel free to disagree, but Rudolph remains a quality QB prospect

After beating the Rams, Mason Rudolph said of the Steelers' defense, "They're playing like the '85 Bears.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...eve-138751623/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Feel free to disagree, but Rudolph remains a quality QB prospect

Few QBs could succeed in this offense as is. Hell, even Ben was struggling before his injury

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Few QBs could succeed in this offense as is. Hell, even Ben was struggling before his injury
    I'm 100% in on Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The guy that scares me the most is Holton. Seriously I haven't seen him catch a single pass dating back to preseason. Throwing to him has to be a guaranteed incomplete pass or INT

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

QB is one of the lesser needs on this team at this stage.

LT, RT, RB, WR, WR, LG probably all need to be addressed in one form or fashion before QB...lol. QB will need to be addressed, but there’s a lot of other positions that need attention as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Cleveland was adverse circumstances and he came short. Many HOF QBs have had equally bad games, including our Ben. I haven’t given up hope that he can turn it around. I’m expecting a good game from him Sunday, even without some of his best weapons.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Cleveland was adverse circumstances and he came short. Many HOF QBs have had equally bad games, including our Ben. I haven’t given up hope that he can turn it around. I’m expecting a good game from him Sunday, even without some of his best weapons.
    I mentioned this in the other thread. Ben has just as bad of a game (2017 Jaguars)... and, that was with Bell and AB. Mason was left with Washington and Holton at WR, and Trey Edmunds at RB. Not many QBs would have had success with those “weapons”.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    After beating the Rams, Mason Rudolph said of the Steelers' defense, "They're playing like the '85 Bears.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...eve-138751623/
    So the conclusion of the article is that Mason is better than stiffs from yesteryear Steve Fuller and Mike Tomczak?

That certainly is a high bar to hurdle

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I mentioned this in the other thread. Ben has just as bad of a game (2017 Jaguars)... and, that was with Bell and AB. Mason was left with Washington and Holton at WR, and Trey Edmunds at RB. Not many QBs would have had success with those “weapons”.
    All true. But the better QB (usually) can figure out a way to still get the ball to those guys to make plays.
    Hell Tom Brady makes it work with a who's who of guys.
    Either you have 'IT' or not.
    I don't think Mason does to be a 'starter' in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    So the conclusion of the article is that Mason is better than stiffs from yesteryear Steve Fuller and Mike Tomczak?

That certainly is a high bar to hurdle
    That isn't the conclusion I got or sense from Rudolph or Wexell's article. To me, I see a kid that has the talent with little time or help to develop before being cast into a shit storm. In spite of that, he's done fairly well with his and the teams' shortcomings. The problem with most fans is they are expecting and want a Mahomes out of Mason and they aren't seeing it after 9 games. These are the same fans that thought AV was camp fodder, Watt didn't have it, Dirty Red would never make the roster. Now the shouts from the torch and pitchfork crew are called for a duck and 1st round practice squad QB that can't make an NFL roster. Mason has the talent, he needs work but he has something many failed R1 picks don't have and that is a spine.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

why was the line protecting ben better than for mason?..same line a..change at coach sure but before ben got hurt the line protected him... maybe since the brawl they will gell better
    100% for Rudolph

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Does it even matter? Not going to draft one, not going to trade for one

. Doubt we have the money or would sign one better with Ben coming back.

I wouldn't over extend with him though. I'd offer back up money on a short deal. And keep searching for the next Ben.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckinnuts View Post
    why was the line protecting ben better than for mason?..same line a..change at coach sure but before ben got hurt the line protected him... maybe since the brawl they will gell better
    100% for Rudolph
    Because that same line wasn't dealing with 8, 9, 10 guys in the box with overload blitzes on every. single. snap. Defenses are either crashing down on outlet receivers or just calling run blitzes on virtually every down since they don't respect getting beat over the top.

Until Rudolph can start stretching the field and keeping the safeties 15-20 yards back, he can expect guys in his face on every dropback. Do that to Ben at he'll torch you for a 45-yard gainer immediately. Defensive coordinators have no such fear with Rudolph back there.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Wexell? This is the same guy who thought Kordell was a good QB. Haha
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He’s missed seeing a lot of open receivers, he’s also stopped moving around the pocket since the concussion and he doesn’t have zip on medium to long range passes. Worst of all his accuracy really sucked in Cleveland to the tune of 4 int’s

guess this next game against cinci will show whether he can bounce back or not, after that game if he doesn’t improve much, I wouldn’t expect much more

So far, to me, I haven’t seen much difference between him and Landry Jones, except perhaps the grit factor. But that grit factor hasn’t translated into production on the field - yet

maybe Jones is even a bit better so far

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m still waiting to pass judgment on him.
    Certainly hasn’t produced enough/any moments that make you go “wow.”
    Certainly his supporting cast hasn’t contributed enough to help him.
    OL underperforming, musical chairs at RB, WR’s disappointing, clueless OC...too much mediocrity surrounds him.
    And, he’s been mediocre...at best.
    Need the full season IMO to get a better feel about his future.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Wexell? This is the same guy who thought Kordell was a good QB. Haha
    Wexell is a rear end kisser, and has more DUI's than most of the players fined by Goodell for DUI's.

His analysis isn't very good either.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

As I said before rookie QB's are playing better and so are some 2nd year QB's.

Rudolph doesn't see the feed well, and has accuracy issues. He was something like 40% accurate on throws that went 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. His pocket awareness is poor, and he's fumble prone. With just an okay arm and limited running ability, what does he do well enough to build a passing game around? Sorry gents, his NFL upside is low. I don't trust these big 12 QB's, they don't play good pass defense there.

He won his NFL games thanks to being on the plus side of turnovers and a few defensive scores. Once he doesn't get either, and has to pass, the interceptions will come, just as they did in the Browns game. Our passing game is reduced to dump off passes to the backs and short passes to the TE. The WR's are open sometimes, he just doesn't throw it to avoid a mistake.

He's is not the QB of the future. Id like to see Duck start another game, just so we see what we have in him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Duck ain’t the future either. And there’s plenty of new guys who started great but are now struggling (e.g. Jones, Allen).

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

That isn't the conclusion I got or sense from Rudolph or Wexell's article. To me, I see a kid that has the talent with little time or help to develop before being cast into a shit storm. In spite of that, he's done fairly well with his and the teams' shortcomings. The problem with most fans is they are expecting and want a Mahomes out of Mason and they aren't seeing it after 9 games. These are the same fans that thought AV was camp fodder, Watt didn't have it, Dirty Red would never make the roster. Now the shouts from the torch and pitchfork crew are called for a duck and 1st round practice squad QB that can't make an NFL roster. Mason has the talent, he needs work but he has something many failed R1 picks don't have and that is a spine.
    I see a lot of similarities to Tim Tebow with Rudolph. They're both great leaders on and off the field. Tebow has a spine as well. The biggest one that jumps out to me though is that neither one of them are NFL qbs.

Rudolph has done absolutely nothing besides ride his defense and make every check down throw possible. He's not the future. He's a statue. Every time he drops back I get the oh shit feeling. He holds the ball too long. He's got a weak arm. He's indecisive. He can't throw to WRs. What is to like about this guy?

As for expecting the next coming of Mahomes...Some fans probably expect that. I'm just waiting for a moment that Rudolph shows he belongs in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don’t mind discussing Rudolph for his own specific attributes or lack thereof, but it’s simply a NON argument to say that Ben has had bad games... therefore?

Ben has also had incredible games, 3 PERFECT games even. He won the Super Bowl with a crap O line. And Ben has physical attributes that have bailed him out when he held the ball too long.

I’d love to be convinced that Rudolph is gonna be awesome, but in order to convince me you’ll have to tell me what you specifically see in Rudolph, not that good QBs have also been bad at times.

You know who else has been bad at times, BAD QBs!

I like Mason’s grit. I here he’s cerebral. He’d better be, because he isn’t physically gifted.

What else is he actually good at? Reading defenses? No. Seeing the field? No. Accuracy? No.

I need to see him start being good at actual QB things to believe he has the potential to be a good QB. If he doesn’t absolutely dismantle the Bengals, I’m sorry but I’ll hate him. There is no QB in the league who can’t beat the Bengals. And we should NOT have to get in a hole and come back. I’m sick of that shit. We should dominate start to finish. In all phases. If we don’t, I’m seriously out on this team and these coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t mind discussing Rudolph for his own specific attributes or lack thereof, but it’s simply a NON argument to say that Ben has had bad games... therefore?

Ben has also had incredible games, 3 PERFECT games even. He won the Super Bowl with a crap O line. And Ben has physical attributes that have bailed him out when he held the ball too long.

I’d love to be convinced that Rudolph is gonna be awesome, but in order to convince me you’ll have to tell me what you specifically see in Rudolph, not that good QBs have also been bad at times.

You know who else has been bad at times, BAD QBs!

I like Mason’s grit. I here he’s cerebral. He’d better be, because he isn’t physically gifted.

What else is he actually good at? Reading defenses? No. Seeing the field? No. Accuracy? No.

I need to see him start being good at actual QB things to believe he has the potential to be a good QB. If he doesn’t absolutely dismantle the Bengals, I’m sorry but I’ll hate him. There is no QB in the league who can’t beat the Bengals. And we should NOT have to get in a hole and come back. I’m sick of that shit. We should dominate start to finish. In all phases. If we don’t, I’m seriously out on this team and these coaches.

you should have been with me in the late 50’s & 60’s at Forbes Field and Pitt Stadium when fans came to the games to root against the Steelers. Of course they all jumped on the wagon after that first playoff game.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Wexell is a rear end kisser, and has more DUI's than most of the players fined by Goodell for DUI's.
    that's a heckuva slanderous personal accusation to make.

how could you possibly know this?

please provide some proof that this is true...

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I think we should stop comparing Rudolph to Ben or Brady. If he does as good as Kirk Cousins that's also great.

Kirk Cousins isn't capable of carrying a team on his own, he needs a good supporting cast to succeed. For Rudolph I also think that Fichtner's gameplans are too conservative and in the Browns game he lost the top three playmakers on top of it, that would have been difficulat for any QB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    All true. But the better QB (usually) can figure out a way to still get the ball to those guys to make plays.
    Hell Tom Brady makes it work with a who's who of guys.
    Either you have 'IT' or not.
    I don't think Mason does to be a 'starter' in the NFL
    Ben in the AFCCG had AB... but, no Bell, and crap at WR. Ben managed to score a whopping 17 points.

I’d take Edelman at WR and White at RB... over Washington and Trey Edmunds.

That said, Rudolph is absolutely not seeing anything beyond his first read, and sometimes, he ignores that read and dumps it off instead. Kozora has a tweet yesterday showing a play designed to get DJ open. It worked perfectly: DJ was wide, wide open in the middle of the field. If DJ stands still, it’s a first down; if DJ runs afterwards, it’s likely a TD. Yet, Rudolph checked down & threw it at a covered Samuels.

Rudolph has the smarts. Rudolph has the study habits. Rudolph should know where to go. The problem is that he appears scared to throw it... even when a receiver is wide open (see above).

As far as mechanics go, Rudolph has a habit of not turning his feet and also not stepping into his throws. When he does both, he throws a nice ball. Alas, as is the case with most people, when there is pressure, they revert to bad habits.

SUMMATION:
    If Rudolph a) stops playing scared, and b) uses the right footwork, he can indeed be an NFL starter. Otherwise, he will simply be yet another name on the extremely long list of “awesome” college QBs who could not transition their skills to the NFL.

We have 6 games to find out if he breaks through.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

[/B]

you should have been with me in the late 50’s & 60’s at Forbes Field and Pitt Stadium when fans came to the games to root against the Steelers. Of course they all jumped on the wagon after that first playoff game.
    If Rudolph can't generate any offense and throws multiple picks against the Bengals you're still riding with him I assume?

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Right now the entire offense is such a mess, head to toe, that it is hard to blame just Rudolph. He has no run game, no reliable WR, and a surprisingly porous O-line. That said, he hasn't impressed in adversity either. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If Rudolph can't generate any offense and throws multiple picks against the Bengals you're still riding with him I assume?
    Absolutely! I was never into quick oatmeal, lots of people like it tho.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    Right now the entire offense is such a mess, head to toe, that it is hard to blame just Rudolph. He has no run game, no reliable WR, and a surprisingly porous O-line. That said, he hasn't impressed in adversity either. :-(
    We need to get Munchak back.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Amazing a few posters and you say that. How do you know ? We only seen him in one game that they actually won with him. He looked good in preseason too and sorry need to see more of him before I can honesty say he doesn't have it. Anyhow and know you want Lynch.
    Duck looked so good in preseason he was released and no other team signed him

It is a nice story and he seems like a grounded guy but Duck is not a NFL starting QB