Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feel free to disagree, but Rudolph remains a quality QB prospect

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Feel free to disagree, but Rudolph remains a quality QB prospect

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Duck looked so good in preseason he was released and no other team signed him

It is a nice story and he seems like a grounded guy but Duck is not a NFL starting QB
    Mason is a nice story too but we all seen enough of him now to know he doesn't have it. Sorry we didn't see enough of Duck yet!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    We need to get Munchak back.
    Running game was a mess in 2018 with Munchak - this from last December

Steelers' offensive line fails to live up to the hype

The Steelers are 29th in the league in rushing (89 yards per game). They’re 25th in yards-per-carry average (4.1).

Poor play by the players is certainly one of the reasons, but it’s difficult to develop rhythm in the run game when you don’t commit to it on a regular basis.

The Steelers have the fifth-fewest rushing attempts in the NFL. They have the most pass attempts by far, 25 more than the Indianapolis Colts.

At this point, it’s fair to wonder if offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner and line coach Mike Munchak devise game plans and calls plays with the realization their personnel is more finesse than power.

Either way, there is no arguing the Steelers have a one-dimensional offense.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201812100103

The offense went all in on passing & pass protection once Ben became the OC - an effective running game was a casualty

FWIW blocking for Le'Veon and his style of waiting for something to develop might also have resulted in some techniques that do not work with a more traditional style of running - also simply may be Le'Veon was good enough that the run blocking was better that it appeared and was exposed once an All Pro back left

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ben in the AFCCG had AB... but, no Bell, and crap at WR. Ben managed to score a whopping 17 points.

I’d take Edelman at WR and White at RB... over Washington and Trey Edmunds.

That said, Rudolph is absolutely not seeing anything beyond his first read, and sometimes, he ignores that read and dumps it off instead. Kozora has a tweet yesterday showing a play designed to get DJ open. It worked perfectly: DJ was wide, wide open in the middle of the field. If DJ stands still, it’s a first down; if DJ runs afterwards, it’s likely a TD. Yet, Rudolph checked down & threw it at a covered Samuels.

Rudolph has the smarts. Rudolph has the study habits. Rudolph should know where to go. The problem is that he appears scared to throw it... even when a receiver is wide open (see above).

As far as mechanics go, Rudolph has a habit of not turning his feet and also not stepping into his throws. When he does both, he throws a nice ball. Alas, as is the case with most people, when there is pressure, they revert to bad habits.

SUMMATION:
    If Rudolph a) stops playing scared, and b) uses the right footwork, he can indeed be an NFL starter. Otherwise, he will simply be yet another name on the extremely long list of “awesome” college QBs who could not transition their skills to the NFL.

We have 6 games to find out if he breaks through.
    Bit of a bad example with the AFCCG but neither here nor there
    I think it was fairly early in that game too that he hit Hamilton down the sideline for a TD...oh no he dropped a perfect pass haha

Rudolph doesn't have that WOW factor or had that WOW game.
    As you said 6 games to go so it may still happen I just don't expect it too at this point.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Lets see what Mason can do with very limited weapons this Sunday. Be awesome if he shines!

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Absolutely! I was never into quick oatmeal, lots of people like it tho.
    I guess I don't understand your support for Rudolph. What has he shown besides grit? He's a deer in the headlights. Duck may not be an NFL qb, but MR has done nothing to prove that he is either. If Rudolph has another outing like last week then pull the plug on him and see what Duck can do.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    We need to get Munchak back.
    Maybe he’s sick of his family...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I guess I don't understand your support for Rudolph. What has he shown besides grit? He's a deer in the headlights. Duck may not be an NFL qb, but MR has done nothing to prove that he is either. If Rudolph has another outing like last week then pull the plug on him and see what Duck can do.
    Tomlin isn't going to replace Mason unless he gets injured. It's the right thing to do and a waste of energy to think otherwise. Let's see where Mason is at at seasons end. He'll end up a starter or solid backup in the future imo

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Tomlin isn't going to replace Mason unless he gets injured. It's the right thing to do and a waste of energy to think otherwise. Let's see where Mason is at at seasons end. He'll end up a solid backup in the future imo
    fixed

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Look it was a bad game for the entire offense and, sooner or later every QB has a stinker game. I have seen them from Ben, Brady ect.. Let's see what Mason does this week but, without JUJU, Conner, Johnson should be a tough one. The WR & TE has to step up and, the o-line needs to play better. It's not all on Mason.

I will stress this again and don't even care about Mason's 4 ints since he basically had no help in the 2nd half. What I didn't care for is he and the offense couldn't move the ball at all in the 1st half when all was healthy.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I agree, it's not all on Mason. A big part of the problem is we have no one that can stretch the defense. Holton can run like the wind, but can't catch a cold. No one respects our vertical passing game. It's affecting our run game just as much. Having 8 in the box and not worrying about getting beat deep makes it very difficult to get anything going. I'm predicting right now that the Steelers go WR in rd 1...I mean 2.

Tomlin isn't going to replace Mason unless he gets injured. It's the right thing to do and a waste of energy to think otherwise. Let's see where Mason is at at seasons end. He'll end up a starter or solid backup in the future imo
    Definitely not a waste of energy. If he shits the bed against Cinci then I see no reason why we ride with him. Teams are going to be stacking the box and making Mason beat them. It will be quick reads, which means check downs. The one thing that Duck provides is a little mobility. Imo, Duck has a better chance of making teams pay for stacking the box, whereas MR is going to check down and punt. Like I said, if it's as ugly as last week then make the switch. We don't have to worry about hurting a career backup QBs feelings.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Definitely not a waste of energy. If he shits the bed against Cinci then I see no reason why we ride with him. Teams are going to be stacking the box and making Mason beat them. It will be quick reads, which means check downs. The one thing that Duck provides is a little mobility. Imo, Duck has a better chance of making teams pay for stacking the box, whereas MR is going to check down and punt. Like I said, if it's as ugly as last week then make the switch. We don't have to worry about hurting a career backup QBs feelings.

Enjoy the the game day thread Bud

Haha the Motely Crue of this board each week. I'll be there as usual.

Run is right though and as of now see Mason as a above average back up QB. Haven't seen anything out of him that screams this guy has it. Hope Mason proves me wrong and mean that and like the kids grit!

Mason biggest problem is his pocket presence and if he can get a lot better on that. He might be a good QB but if he doesn't arghhhhhhhh.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

i expected more improvement but it appears he is regressing...i'll give him a few more games though before i throw in the towel

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Maybe he’s sick of his family...lol

Well that's not going to be a Happy Thanksgiving.

https://youtu.be/xAZU6DYwTDM

I hope this isn't me on Sunday again

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Wexell is a rear end kisser, and has more DUI's than most of the players fined by Goodell for DUI's.

His analysis isn't very good either.
    He also thinks race has to do with how good a QB is.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    He also thinks race has to do with how good a QB is.
    Wexell used to like Kordell.
    Wexell currently likes Mason.

So...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Bit of a bad example with the AFCCG but neither here nor there
    I think it was fairly early in that game too that he hit Hamilton down the sideline for a TD...oh no he dropped a perfect pass haha
    Who had the better TD drop: Hamilton or Holton?

https://youtu.be/xAZU6DYwTDM

I hope this isn't me on Sunday again

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Who had the better TD drop: Hamilton or Holton?

I think Hamilton wins on sheer volume. Didn't he drop 3 TDs and a 2-point conversion in that game?

A Sweed moment for the ages!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Mason can be a good QB, but he definitely needs help from his WRs and he hasn't been getting that. Holton hasn't caught a pass since the preseason I think, and I'm not even sure if he did then. I remember seeing nothing but dropped passes from that guy.

Washington if any is a pretty good #3 guy, so when he's your best available WR, what CAN you do? I'm pretty sure Ben would have struggled nearly as much.

Not to mention it was Mason's first appearance in an AFCN road game, hopefully now he knows what to expect

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d like to see what his numbers would look like just based on the receivers making catches that were obvious drops to see how
    Much difference there really would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Rudy has been sweeded a lot this year.

After the adversity of the concussion, helmet-gate, the racial allegation and throwing 4 picks, we’ll see how much mental toughness the young man has in the next 2-3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Rudy has been sweeded a lot this year.

After the adversity of the concussion, helmet-gate, the racial allegation and throwing 4 picks, we’ll see how much mental toughness the young man has in the next 2-3 games.
    Trail by fire

Rudolph will either come out of this hardened like Aikman... or, shell-shocked like David Carr.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Trail by fire

Rudolph will either come out of this hardened like Aikman... or, shell-shocked like David Carr.
    Interesting that you mention Aikman. I hear Aikman articulate well on the broadcast, what I think Rudolph's main issue is. Aikman said "he tends to get heavy feet in the pocket" and that his feet don't follow where he is throwing to. Troy and his NFL QB experience explained that Rudolph gets his feet in cement and doesn't move them towards his receivers as he goes thru progressions. That has been my point since he was drafted, in that he ends up throwing with mostly arm and off base when he doesn't move his feet.

IMO, he can have all the attitude and mental toughness he wants, but if he doesn't fix his footwork, he will throw inaccurate footballs, lose the confidence to throw in tight windows and not be an efficient passer of the football.