Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Who Gets Suspended?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Who Gets Suspended?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    What could have happened if Garrett hit Rudolph with the crown of the helmet?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/video...with-the-crown
    And that is from an average sized, what looks to be 185ish lb man. Now try that with an elite level athlete that weighs 275, that chair would have exploded lol

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    And that is from an average sized, what looks to be 185ish lb man. Now try that with an elite level athlete that weighs 275, that chair would have exploded lol
    Didn't Garrett set records for the bench press at his combine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    And, the helmet didn't hit with the crown. It hit with the side. And he wasn't even swinging that hard.

Mason would have been on the ground, knocked out and most-likely, with a lot of blood. Moreover, that little fight would have turned into a bench-brawl the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Canada-Soviet Union Jr. Worldcup brawl of 1987.

For your viewing pleasure:

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Didn't Garrett set records for the bench press at his combine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bench press is all for Ego. DeCastro handle him pretty easy. Dumbell press is where it is at nowadays. Don't see many people bench pressing anymore. Ones that do are mostly amateurs.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Bench press is all for Ego. DeCastro handle him pretty easy. Dumbell press is where it is at nowadays. Don't see many people bench pressing anymore. Ones that do are mostly amateurs.
    Maybe the Steelers should move DeCastro to LT.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Maybe the Steelers should move DeCastro to LT.
    Or QB lol.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Troy Vincent, the NFL's head of football operations, said more fines will be forthcoming next week for the brawl between the Steelers and Browns ....

Vincent and his staff focused their initial inquiry into offenses that might rise to the level of suspension, but will spend more time next week sorting through the droves of players and staff who left the sidelines to join in or attempt to join in.

Appears Rudolph is going to get a major fine - both for his conduct and IMO because of media chatter Rudolph not being suspended was due to some sort of bias

"The grabbing of the facemask, that is a fine," Vincent said. "We'll continue to sort through that next week, but yes, there could be multiple fines coming to him if we find another action that constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/troy-vincent-explains-suspensions-from-myles-garrett-helmet-fight-says-another-wave-of-fines-coming/

One player who better not get a fine is DeCastro - by wrapping up Garrett, DeCastro kept him from clubbing Rudolph again and by getting him on the ground shielded Garrett from Pouncey being able to get at him more than Pouncey did

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Troy Vincent, the NFL's head of football operations, said more fines will be forthcoming next week for the brawl between the Steelers and Browns ....

Vincent and his staff focused their initial inquiry into offenses that might rise to the level of suspension, but will spend more time next week sorting through the droves of players and staff who left the sidelines to join in or attempt to join in.

Appears Rudolph is going to get a major fine - both for his conduct and IMO because of media chatter Rudolph not being suspended was due to some sort of bias

"The grabbing of the facemask, that is a fine," Vincent said. "We'll continue to sort through that next week, but yes, there could be multiple fines coming to him if we find another action that constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/troy-vincent-explains-suspensions-from-myles-garrett-helmet-fight-says-another-wave-of-fines-coming/

One player who better not get a fine is DeCastro - by wrapping up Garrett, DeCastro kept him from clubbing Rudolph again and by getting him on the ground shielded Garrett from Pouncey being able to get at him more than Pouncey did
    I read where Garrett was fined an additional amount apart from what he will lose via the suspension

Garrett can appeal his suspension, which is without pay. A six-game suspension would cost Garrett about $1.14 million of his 2019 salary of $3.23 million. The NFL said he also was fined an additional unspecified amount

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...nitely-by-nfl/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I agree with your comments. I just believe the NFL is going to carpet bomb everybody and everything.

They already fined both franchises even though only one player from one team ripped off a man's helmet and tried to crack his unprotected skull open on national TV.

Such is life when dealing with a blunt instrument, which is punishment handed out by the tone-deaf and reactionary minds of the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I heard from at least one source stating that while Mason was trying to pull off Garett's helmet he also had his foot in his crotch. I have watched the video over and over and have no idea where that notion came from. It is 1 thing to blame Mason for what he did but it's another to make stuff up as you go.

Keep in mind that Garett was taking Mason down to the ground well after the ball left and was trying to keep him from getting up. That is what started the whole mess.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I heard from at least one source stating that while Mason was trying to pull off Garett's helmet he also had his foot in his crotch. I have watched the video over and over and have no idea where that notion came from. It is 1 thing to blame Mason for what he did but it's another to make stuff up as you go.

Keep in mind that Garett was taking Mason down to the ground well after the ball left and was trying to keep him from getting up. That is what started the whole mess.
    Only thing that matters at this point is what the talking heads say . NFL is a pure reactionary punishment system. Read somewhere online last night that they were planning on coming everyone that came off the bench too

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

And yes for all the people blah blahing about Mason starting it. Clearly if that didn't erupt it should have been roughing the passer. This isn't far from the jumping the Line on a kneel down. There was no reason to pass rush or sack the QB with 8 seconds left other than to try and be Billy bully badass

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Nice to see an old former Pittsburgh TV sportscaster like John Steigerwald has adapted to the times and learned how to write clickbait

If Garrett is forced to miss the rest of this season, the punishment will not have fit the crime.

Rudolph already has gotten off too easily.

https://triblive.com/sports/john-ste...garrett-fight/

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree with your comments. I just believe the NFL is going to carpet bomb everybody and everything.

They already fined both franchises even though only one player from one team ripped off a man's helmet and tried to crack his unprotected skull open on national TV.

Such is life when dealing with a blunt instrument, which is punishment handed out by the tone-deaf and reactionary minds of the NFL.
    My guess is the franchise fines were for not keeping the players on the bench. I honestly can't say that's a bad policy. In fact, perhaps they should also fine every player that comes out from the sideline while a fight is ensuing unless it is purely to render aid to someone who is down or to restrain their own player (if it's within a few feet of the sideline). Massive brawls like that are scary and very dangerous, especially with behemoths swing ham-hock sized fists (let alone helmets).

As for the rest, my guess is, anyone and every who through a punch is going to get a fine. Again, can't argue with that. There's a set figure for first and second time offenses. So, it won't be much of a surprise, either.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I've stayed out of this up to now. I DO NOT condone what Garrett did. Having said that............... just get over it! Racial slurs, kicking in the nuts, helmet grabbing/ripping off, etc.............. it's football. Shit happens. This is NOT the first time it has happened.

Should Garrett be suspended? YES. Indefinitely? NO! From what I've seen on replays and live from the game, there is enough evidence that MR had his share of blame for what went down. It doesn't matter that he was tackled a bit after he threw the ball, that is just a roughing penalty. What happened after that was initiated by MR... from what I saw. Garrett was wrong, no question, but an 'indefinite" suspension is too.

Let me ask you this: if it were the other way around, what would you all be saying? Put your team and QB allegiance aside and be truthful about it.

Myles Garrett is an elite talent in this league. He should not have to forfeit his career because of a fluke incident, no matter how incredibly stupid it was. Shit happens in the heat of battle. These guys are strung to the breaking point during game time. Sometimes it isn't pretty. If this was one of your players, I think things would be a bit different from your point of view. If you're honest, I bet you know that's true.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I've stayed out of this up to now. I DO NOT condone what Garrett did. Having said that............... just get over it! Racial slurs, kicking in the nuts, helmet grabbing/ripping off, etc.............. it's football. Shit happens. This is NOT the first time it has happened.

Should Garrett be suspended? YES. Indefinitely? NO! From what I've seen on replays and live from the game, there is enough evidence that MR had his share of blame for what went down. It doesn't matter that he was tackled a bit after he threw the ball, that is just a roughing penalty. What happened after that was initiated by MR... from what I saw. Garrett was wrong, no question, but an 'indefinite" suspension is too.

Let me ask you this: if it were the other way around, what would you all be saying? Put your team and QB allegiance aside and be truthful about it.

Myles Garrett is an elite talent in this league. He should not have to forfeit his career because of a fluke incident, no matter how incredibly stupid it was. Shit happens in the heat of battle. These guys are strung to the breaking point during game time. Sometimes it isn't pretty. If this was one of your players, I think things would be a bit different from your point of view. If you're honest, I bet you know that's true.
    I’ll try to be honest and truthful.
    Agree that Garrett shouldn’t forfeit his NFL career...the remainder of this season would satisfy me.
    Strongly disagree that if the roles were reversed, most of us would support MR using his helmet as a weapon.
    Using racist slurs/words, nut kicking/grabbing, grabbing helmets, gouging eyes, have been a part of the NFL forever.
    However, to say there’s little/no difference between those actions and using your helmet as a dangerous weapon is a stretch.

I initially thought a suspension of Garrett for the rest of this season was sufficient and that his reinstatement for 2020 would be pro forma after he went through some bullshit anger management class and promised not to club anyone with their helmet in the future.

If one of the Steelers had done it I would take the same position since a six game suspension is what the league imposes for off the field domestic violence assaults.

But Garrett raising the race issue well after the time of the assault changes the dynamic. He has portrayed Rudolph as a racist - for a white player in a league in which the overwhelming % of players are black that is devastating.

If I ran the league office I would investigate the hell out of that claim (asking all players and refs on the field what they heard, asking Garrett when Rudolph said it, and specifically asking Kitchens to come clean on whether Garrett ever raised that allegation with him rather than playing cute about his discussions with Garrett being confidential). If the league determines after a thorough investigation that it still concludes Garrett is making it up, tell him since that allegation arose in the context of a disciplinary proceeding, in which Garrett is determined to have made a material false statement to mitigate his conduct, if he wants reinstated then retract it or get at least one more game tacked on in 2020. That would be for for the additional misconduct of slandering a player during a disciplinary proceeding by making a false statement, in an attempt to obstruct an investigation to reduce his suspension, in addition to the clubbing that caused the six game suspension.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There's nothing 'fluke' about ripping a guys helmet off and clubbing it over his head. Fluke? Lol. I'll be honest, as you ask, and say that there's very little that you said that I agree with.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I’ll try to be honest and truthful.
    Agree that Garrett shouldn’t forfeit his NFL career...the remainder of this season would satisfy me.
    Strongly disagree that if the roles were reversed, most of us would support MR using his helmet as a weapon.
    Using racist slurs/words, nut kicking/grabbing, grabbing helmets, gouging eyes, have been a part of the NFL forever.
    However, to say there’s little/no difference between those actions and using your helmet as a dangerous weapon is a stretch.
    Agreed. I never said using his helmet as a weapon was acceptable... it isn't! I said it isn't the first time it's happened in the NFL. I agree, suspension for the remainder of the season is warranted. I also think MR should at the very least be fined for his part in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There's nothing 'fluke' about ripping a guys helmet off and clubbing it over his head. Fluke? Lol. I'll be honest, as you ask, and say that there's very little that you said that I agree with.
    That's okay. I fully expected most of you to lay into me over my post. I just think most of you would feel a bit different about it if the roles were reversed. Again, I never said, nor do I think what Garrett did was acceptable, no matter what instigated it.

I should have stayed out of it since I don't have a dog in this hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

I initially thought a suspension of Garrett for the rest of this season was sufficient and that his reinstatement for 2020 would be pro forma after he went through some bullshit anger management class and promised not to club anyone with their helmet in the future.

If one of the Steelers had done it I would take the same position since a six game suspension is what the league imposes for off the field domestic violence assaults.

But Garrett raising the race issue well after the time of the assault changes the dynamic. He has portrayed Rudolph as a racist - for a white player in a league in which the overwhelming % of players are black that is devastating.

If I ran the league office I would investigate the hell out of that claim (asking all players and refs on the field what they heard, asking Garrett when Rudolph said it, and specifically asking Kitchens to come clean on whether Garrett ever raised that allegation with him rather than playing cute about his discussions with Garrett being confidential). If the league determines after a thorough investigation that it still concludes Garrett is making it up, tell him since that allegation arose in the context of a disciplinary proceeding, in which Garrett is determined to have made a material false statement to mitigate his conduct, if he wants reinstated then retract it or get at least one more game tacked on in 2020. That would be for for the additional misconduct of slandering a player during a disciplinary proceeding by making a false statement, in an attempt to obstruct an investigation to reduce his suspension, in addition to the clubbing that caused the six game suspension.
    I can agree with that.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think running a very specific investigation might be good for the league, and if it turns out that there really is nothing to support Garrett’s claim, the key component in all of this will be to give Garrett an OUT... a way to backtrack without losing face. If he’s willing to say that he probably misheard something - so he doesn’t have to admit to lying - that would probably diffuse the anger on both sides before it gets even worse.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's okay. I fully expected most of you to lay into me over my post. I just think most of you would feel a bit different about it if the roles were reversed. Again, I never said, nor do I think what Garrett did was acceptable, no matter what instigated it.
    If we want to talk about the same act with different players involved, why don't we imagine what would happen if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers were the QB getting clubbed over the head by a helmet instead of some unknown, backup QB. How do you think that would play out?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If we want to talk about the same act with different players involved, why don't we imagine what would happen if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers were the QB getting clubbed over the head by a helmet instead of some unknown, backup QB. How do you think that would play out?
    I think it would play out exactly the same.... indefinite suspension for Garrett.. and nothing for Brady or Rodgers.

Isn't "indefinite" suspension prohibited in the CBA?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

re: the use of the word “indefinite”

The NFL makes a strong stance, uses the big boy word of “indefinite”... and Garrett sits out 6 games.

After a full off-season, most people will have forgotten all about this; in which case, Garrett starts Day 1 of the 2020 season. But, but, but... if someone in the media stirs some sh!t, the NFL could simply tack on 1 more game (and then, it’s over).

SUMMATION:
    It’s a 6-game suspension... with an asterisk for one more game (just in case).

The NFL is expected to fine Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph $50,000 -- more than an entire game check -- for his role in last week's fight with Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler on Saturday.

Rudolph, in the second year of his rookie deal, has a base salary of $658,267, which means his weekly check is $38,721.59 per game. He has said that he'd accept any discipline from the NFL, but Rudolph can appeal to have the fines reduced under NFL rules if they are deemed to be "excessive when compared to the player's expected earnings for the season in question."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...000-fine-fight

So Roger hangs back for a week to let the suspension appeals be heard, sees that the PR problem developing is that the white guy was not suspended (Michael Wilbon specifically has alleged a black QB in Rudolph's position would have received a suspension) as Garrett puts racism front & center, and gives Rudolph a fine that is harsher financially than a one game suspension.

Typical Roger dodge to find out which way the PR wind is blowing then act accordingly

This works out better for Mason than a suspension - he has 6 games left to try to show he can be a quality QB and missing a game along with needing to get back up to speed is the last thing he needs now

Mason will appeal the fine, which will be upheld, but should ask at the hearing what are the consequences of Garrett's additional misconduct in portraying me as a racist? Maybe say I would like the league to deal with it but if not maybe I will have to do it through a lawsuit.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Doesn’t matter what team it is or what name calling may or may not have occurred. Smacking someone with a helmet and then clearly and obviously slandering them...suspended for this season and then investigate it further come June.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

It’s official - NFL announces fines in time for the Sunday pregame shows - Rudolph tagged for $50,000

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quite the rap sheet...lol

A better copy here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Brooks James might have lost his whole check since he was just cut and played one game

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Quite the rap sheet...lol

A better copy here?

So Matt Feiler gets fined for "entering the fight area"? The Fight happened at his feet LMAO. WTF?

I think it would play out exactly the same.... indefinite suspension for Garrett.. and nothing for Brady or Rodgers.

Isn't "indefinite" suspension prohibited in the CBA?
    I was speaking more to the fan and media reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Rudy fined more than Garrett?! That’s a joke. What Rudy did happens in every game and never even draws a flag.