Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory of Sadness game goats

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Factory of Sadness game goats

No Game Balls tonight, bad play across the board by everyone at all levels.

Despite his 4 picks I'd still not put that much on Rudolph. He didn't play good, but the O-Line was worse and losing the top three offensive players didn't help either. In that situation even Ben would have had a hard time.

The defense also didn't do anything to help, no turnovers, allowing several deep passes, chunk runs by their RBs.

Only defensive player that at least had some plays was Watt. Also, as much as Pouncey punching and kicking at the end would warrant a special goat, I can understand that he's ticked off by Garrett's actions.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Factory of Sadness game goats

Rudolph gets the top goat. He was horrendous.

I’ve been defending him, but I cannot defend him tonight. That was a extremely disappointing performance for the record books. He has to light the world on fire the rest of the season for me to get back in his corner. Otherwise, the critics are right: he will amount to nothing more than a decent backup. Like Landry Jones.

He works very hard and has grit, but his flaws are way too numerous and glaring to elevate the team around him.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Rudolph and the entire O-line

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Yeah, he was horrendous, but he was in the probably worst position a QB can be (even worse than the Dolphins)... horrendous play from the O-Line, three top players injured during the game...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'll give credit to the defense. They did what they could. Prevented the game from being an absolute blowout

Goats though: WRs: Aside from Juju who is a no. 2 overmatched playing as a no. 1, the WRs are pure abject garbage. Juju is the only WR above the caliber of a no. 4 WR. Johnny Holton in particular probably wouldn't belong in the AAF if that was still a thing. O-line: Apparently all that had to happen for this unit to degenerate into the late 00s iteration was for Munchak to leave. The o-line sucks. AV in particular looked like Jonathan Scott. Pouncey and DeCastro are also having career worst years. Randy Fichtner: Your average kindergartner scribbling in his/her coloring book could come up with something better than whatever Fichtner comes up with weekly. Fichtner's idea of offense in the NFL would look dull and unimaginative in the 1930s. And while he received no help, Mason still receives a goat for all his hideous passes

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It would be hard to get worse than Rudolph, and he's the most important player on the offense. F-minus performance.

The OL sucked, and Villanueva in particular got his ass handed to him. He's really had a shitty last couple of games. What the hell is up with that?

Barron for being completely asleep at the switch on that TD, and there were several times he was the one chasing a guy down from behind after a piss-poor job covering that same guy. No one on defense stood out in a good way, but you saw Barron on most of the bad ones.

Our running game was no good, but I wish we'd at least tried to run Samuels a little more instead of the guys who clearly couldn't do shit. Edmunds looked especially ineffective, every time I saw him get the ball, he was getting Parker'd for no gain.

What a horseshit game this was. I can't believe we actually gained within 20 yards of them on offense - you'd never know it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not much an o line can do when the other team just flat out pass rushes 5 every down.

Trey Edmunds can't pass protect worth snot.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Goat- Rudolph hasn't been good and now we should recognize why the Steelers have limited the playcalls to short passes. He is inaccessible and immobile.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I thought the defense played well, in spite of no turnovers

goats are Rudolph with a number of bad throws, and the OL allowing too much pressure. Rudolph was actually making me miss dobbs (at least the guy had an arm, perhaps his accuracy would have improved)

Goat also for the scheduled thursday night game: short week on the road bit us in the ass,

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

goatffense.
    injuries

hero: David decastro... like legitimate hero, for pinning down and laying on myles garrett so a rabid Pouncey couldnt get clean hits in.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It would be hard to get worse than Rudolph, and he's the most important player on the offense. F-minus performance.

The OL sucked, and Villanueva in particular got his ass handed to him. He's really had a shitty last couple of games. What the hell is up with that?

Barron for being completely asleep at the switch on that TD, and there were several times he was the one chasing a guy down from behind after a piss-poor job covering that same guy. No one on defense stood out in a good way, but you saw Barron on most of the bad ones.

Our running game was no good, but I wish we'd at least tried to run Samuels a little more instead of the guys who clearly couldn't do shit. Edmunds looked especially ineffective, every time I saw him get the ball, he was getting Parker'd for no gain.
    Edmunds had 3 rushes for 11 yards, so a 3.7 average. BUT!!!!! He had a long of 9 yards! So, if you take out his long run . . . (Sorry SR, I just had to go there).

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

AV... he was on skates all night, holding penalties and then was totally out of position for the melee. F-

Holton... please, the practice squad guy was better. F-

Mason... 4 picks and a slew of other poorly thrown ball's. Automatic F

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Yeah, he was horrendous, but he was in the probably worst position a QB can be (even worse than the Dolphins)... horrendous play from the O-Line, three top players injured during the game...
    Again don't blame him for the 2nd half with all the injuries. He suck in the first half and just can't make drives. I seen enough now! That said he is a tough kid and a good guy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    goatffense.
    injuries

hero: David decastro... like legitimate hero, for pinning down and laying on myles garrett so a rabid Pouncey couldnt get clean hits in.
    Lol focking Garett deserve that after his crazy shit!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Look. I like Mason. He's easy to root for. But what is he good at? What has he got better at? For all the crap sent Fichtner's way, what can he call? What is Rudolph good at?

He's a good to even pretty good backup QB who just melted down when he was asked to carry the load. It's gonna look like this every week. Defenses will copy and paste the Browns plan until Mason forces someone to do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Edmunds had 3 rushes for 11 yards, so a 3.7 average. BUT!!!!! He had a long of 9 yards! So, if you take out his long run . . . (Sorry SR, I just had to go there).
    No, don't apologize! That's the most Parker stat line ever. Only with him, you'd multiply the total carries and yards by about 5, but replace the five 9-yard runs with a 30-yard run and four 1-yard runs.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Look. I like Mason. He's easy to root for. But what is he good at? What has he got better at? For all the crap sent Fichtner's way, what can he call? What is Rudolph good at?

He's a good to even pretty good backup QB who just melted down when he was asked to carry the load. It's gonna look like this every week. Defenses will copy and paste the Browns plan until Mason forces someone to do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mason got exposed tonight and shouldn't be a NFL starter. Kid is tough as nails though but takes more then that to play QB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Factory of Sadness game goats

GoaTs:

- Offensive Line - this unit continually keeps getting dominates at the LOS whether it’s 3, 4, 5, 6 rushing. They are constantly in Rudolph’s face. If this were Ben back there, he’d be sacked every other play. There’s zero push when it comes to the run blocking. Pounces snaps are still an issue at times. All around, pretty terrible as a unit.

- Fichtner - the blocking schemes on offense need to be addressed because they aren’t working very well. The play calling is subpar and frankly the plays are blah...they look like high school plays. Terrible.

- Rudolph - I’ll give him a little leeway because it’s not easy throwing when AVs ass is constantly in your chest. But his throws in general are constantly off target, high, behind, low, too short, too far...you pick it. The O-Line isn’t helping but at the same time, even when the pocket is clean, his throws aren’t great. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a QB not be able to finish his throwing motion more than Rudolph this season. It’s becoming clearer and clearer that Rudolph isn’t cut out for these reindeer games. He’s an NFL caliber back-up. He’s a guy that can come in and manage the game, keep,the team afloat and go .500 or better. That’s what he’s good at. He’s not a starter...not yet at least...

- Holton - another WR that just can’t catch.

GAME BALLS:

- TJ Watt - Just one. How this guy keeps that motor going for 60 minutes the way he does is pretty incredible. He has one level!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Mark Barron is back. He was in great position to deflect that TD, but he has zero ball awareness. I’m pretty sure he was responsible for a few third-down conversions.

Rudolph looked bad. That said, he was playing with Washington as his #1 and Holton as his #2.

Holton was interfered with on two deep passes. Plus, he had three other drops. How different is that game if he catches even one of those???

The O-line seems confused at times. Garrett is a force; so, one cannot really blame AV. The Steelers should have given AV some help.

Trey Edmunds (RB) cannot block. Like... not at all.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Pouncey's been off this year. Maybe no Ben and Munch is gone but he hasn't been playing to his normal level.

Even his kicking of Garrett missed and hit his own teammate.

AV also has been subpar. Garrett is the boogeyman for AV. Hasn't done well at all vs the Helmet Clobberer.

Foster has been looking his age this year.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

In the interests of redundancy, Rudy and the OL sucked and looked like they’d never win another game. That cast of receivers also sucked. Embarrassing loss.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Only hero on offense was Ben rocking his franchise QB in exile look

It is not the blocking schemes or the play calls that are causing the implosion of the running game and the lack of pass protection. It is the ability of a talented NFL defense to say, screw it. We are going Cover 0 or darn close almost every play. We don't think your garbage QB and trash WRs can do enough to hurt us. Then they can just throw 4-6 at the offensive line every down. Guys are going to get through when that happens. Plus the o-line looks worth because I do not think Edmunds successfully pass protected at all last night. Vannett Jesse James'd a few blocks AND Rudolph has not a clue how to move and avoid pass rushers. The sad part is that he tries, he just sucks at it.

It all works together to LOOK like offensive line suddenly can't block at all and the playcalls are bush league. But it was the lack of credible WRs for 1/2 the game and Rudolph's inability to do anything useful.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Plenty of bad to go around last night oline, and, Mason was god awful Mark Baron should have had pick on Browns last TD. With all as bad as the offense played last night there were still plays to be down field guys were getting open. Still the defense kept them in the game last night.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The O-line misses Munchak.

The Steelers need a TE, OLB, QB and LT.
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It is not the blocking schemes or the play calls that are causing the implosion of the running game and the lack of pass protection. It is the ability of a talented NFL defense to say, screw it. We are going Cover 0 or darn close almost every play. We don't think your garbage QB and trash WRs can do enough to hurt us. Then they can just throw 4-6 at the offensive line every down. Guys are going to get through when that happens. Plus the o-line looks worth because I do not think Edmunds successfully pass protected at all last night. Vannett Jesse James'd a few blocks AND Rudolph has not a clue how to move and avoid pass rushers. The sad part is that he tries, he just sucks at it.

It all works together to LOOK like offensive line suddenly can't block at all and the playcalls are bush league. But it was the lack of credible WRs for 1/2 the game and Rudolph's inability to do anything useful.
    Play calling and blocking are indeed a problem If it keeps occurring week in and week out. it’s a recurring problem and needs to be altered. If they aren’t altering the blocking or the play calling or not recognizing what the defense is bringing, it’s an issue. It goes back to putting the players in a position to succeed. Some of these plays aren’t even cover zero defense. There are plays where only three are rushing. Of course some of them are just great defensive players but others it’s just poor blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Play calling and blocking are indeed a problem If it keeps occurring week in and week out. it’s a recurring problem and needs to be altered. If they aren’t altering the blocking or the play calling or not recognizing what the defense is bringing, it’s an issue. It goes back to putting the players in a position to succeed. Some of these plays aren’t even cover zero defense. There are plays where only three are rushing. Of course some of them are just great defensive players but others it’s just poor blocking.
    Guys are being put in a position to succeed. And Mason Rudolph sucks so bad that the whole thing flies apart. I don't care what you call and what schemes you put in place, if your QB is consistently late with his reads, has comically bad ball placement, almost zero pocket presence, and a tendency to stare down his targets -- it just isn't going to work. Guys were open all game last night and Rudolph couldn't get it there. Both failed 4th downs had open players that a competent NFL QB has to hit.

Trey Edmunds and Samuels made awful decisions and execution in pass protection. The TEs were poor at blocking on the edges. But it ALL goes back to the idea that none of that matters if your QB can not reliably execute a fundamental offense at an NFL level. Mason Rudolph is not able to do that unless everything goes absolutely perfect.

Honestly, at this point, I am seriously wondering why not Paxton Lynch? I think he has far better physical tools than Rudolph. You have 10 days until the next game...like could it be worse?

At times they are. Other times they are just not. When you have 8 guys in the box and only 5-6 guys in to protect...it’s not gonna work. Hell...it’s not working when there’s 5 in to protect and 3 rushing.

I really don’t think anyone here in their assessment of what is happening is wrong. Pretty much a little bit of what everyone is viewing, interpreting, frustrated over, tired of seeing, whatever is a little bit accurate with much more involved.

What really looks like happened is that the communication breakdown that was occurring in defense is now occurring on offense and vice versa.

I can see all that. But I can't be dissuaded that it all starts with terrible QB play. Then it snowballs. You can't call what you need to on offense against what the defense is doing, because your QB can't or won't execute it. The extra few seconds he dinks around in the pocket are where some of the sacks come from. He also gets too much depth on some of his dropbacks, meaning Rudolph is not where the OTs expect him to be, so they push rushers into him.

Fichtner and company dialed up several great calls to exploit the gambles that the Browns were taking on defense and Mason and Holton couldn't make them pay.

The team isn't that good of a rushing attack to begin with, but when an NFL defense simply giggles at your passing game, you aren't running it at all.

Mason Rudolph is not a starting QB in the NFL. Full stop. Now we can argue that he had no supporting cast last night (fair and true) and that Fichtner is not the OC to try and turn chicken shit into chicken salad (also fair and true). But Rudolph is simply not good enough. Unfortunately, Arians no longer works for the Steelers. He might be one of the few guys who could cobble something together that made Rudolph look good.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Mason Rudolph is not a starting QB in the NFL. Full stop. Now we can argue that he had no supporting cast last night (fair and true) and that Fichtner is not the OC to try and turn chicken shit into chicken salad (also fair and true). But Rudolph is simply not good enough. Unfortunately, Arians no longer works for the Steelers. He might be one of the few guys who could cobble something together that made Rudolph look good.
    BA's deep drop and get the crap beat out of the QB passing offense would get someone as immobile as Mason knocked out for the season within a month

Posters here have commented on it and Aikman, who rarely criticizes anyone, pointed it out last night. Rudolph does not move well within the pocket and his footwork is a mess when he gets knocked off his spot.

Last night was like watching a golfer's swing fall apart under pressure or, to give a football example, how the mechanics of the 49ers temp kicker unraveled when he shanked the OT kick in the 49ers-Seahawks game this past Monday night

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    BA's deep drop and get the crap beat out of the QB passing offense would get someone as immobile as Mason knocked out for the season within a month

Posters here have commented on it and Aikman, who rarely criticizes anyone, pointed it out last night. Rudolph does not move well within the pocket and his footwork is a mess when he gets knocked off his spot.

Last night was like watching a golfer's swing fall apart under pressure or, to give a football example, how the mechanics of the 49ers temp kicker unraveled when he shanked the OT kick in the 49ers-Seahawks game this past Monday night
    All too true. But Arians also coaxed a 4000+ yard season out of Kelly Holcomb once upon a time.

At the NFL level, you have to be able to throw from a collapsing pocket and be able to get moved off your spot and reset to another launch point. Rudolph can not do either of those things. Combine those with his other sins, and it is going to go wrong.