Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory of Sadness game goats

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Factory of Sadness game goats

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/11/fi...4th-down-play/

Work your way through that.

Play Call - checks out. Wide open WR. Rudolph takes forever to decide to get him the ball.
    Blocking - not amazing but acceptable in the NFL. Rudolph wanders into pressure more than anything else. He needs to climb up and towards Decastro not fall back and away towards AV - who I THINK was figuring he had pushed the pass rusher away from where his QB would/should be. I'm no QB coach and I could be wrong, but he looked like he walked OUT of the pocket instead of climbing into one.
    Throw and Ball Placement - absolutely comically bad. Assume 92 doesn't bat it down. It looks like it will be behind Holton and around his knees.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Only hero on offense was Ben rocking his franchise QB in exile look

Completely looks like Burgandy. Maybe drinking milk was a bad choice?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

People say put Hodges in but I doubt he would do any better. He struggled to complete a pass beyond 10 yards when I saw him and I doubt he would be able to do anything with this shit O-line and shit WRs. And because people were discussing it in the game thread, Kaep won't help either. He needs superior supporting cast surrounding him just to look decent

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Right now I'd even settle for Brian Hoyer.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I can see all that. But I can't be dissuaded that it all starts with terrible QB play. Then it snowballs. You can't call what you need to on offense against what the defense is doing, because your QB can't or won't execute it. The extra few seconds he dinks around in the pocket are where some of the sacks come from. He also gets too much depth on some of his dropbacks, meaning Rudolph is not where the OTs expect him to be, so they push rushers into him.

Fichtner and company dialed up several great calls to exploit the gambles that the Browns were taking on defense and Mason and Holton couldn't make them pay.

The team isn't that good of a rushing attack to begin with, but when an NFL defense simply giggles at your passing game, you aren't running it at all.

Mason Rudolph is not a starting QB in the NFL. Full stop. Now we can argue that he had no supporting cast last night (fair and true) and that Fichtner is not the OC to try and turn chicken shit into chicken salad (also fair and true). But Rudolph is simply not good enough. Unfortunately, Arians no longer works for the Steelers. He might be one of the few guys who could cobble something together that made Rudolph look good.
    Arians nearly destroyed Ben and got Andrew Luck's butt kicked early on his career that eventually caught up with him later. The Steelers had to fire Arians for nearly murdering Ben. The fact that you would even go there especially considering Mason's issues is weird.

Mason Rudolph isn't a Starter in the NFL, that's why he isn't starting. He's a backup thrust into a starting role in a fundamentally flawed and broken Offense strapped together with duct tape and string with no dedicated QB coach. We can analyze the playcalls as much as we want, but when our Starting QB is having the exact same issues dating back to last season. We can blame the backup for so much. Mason's issues, is that he isn't...good.

Fichtner's Offense is not a system built on letting players succeed. It's built on the premise of placating Ben R and doing what he wants. Everyone just runs routes and Ben fires from Shotgun. Its no coincidence that he led the league in interceptions in this offense last season. Antonio Brown masked the flaws of Fichtner's poor Foundation by simply beating the guy across from him and opening things up for everyone else. When AB left, Ben was just as bad if not horrible as Mason making reads and ball placement in Fichtner's Offense. The Offense in of itself, is a joke. It's not an NFL Offense. Take Ben out of the picture, and place an inferior QB with even worse mechanics like sloppy footwork and lack of mobility, and we get last night.

Mason is doing as much as he can with what little he's got. Unfortunately. What he has just isn't good enough to elevate the team around him and make this offense look decent. The only answer the Steelers have right now isn't Hodges. It's on Mason simply learning from his debacle, growing a set and developing years of NFL experience over the course of a week. Mason has to grow up overnight. No dude, you can't hold onto the ball forever.

Until that happens, expect games like Thursday to play out over the course of the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Arians nearly destroyed Ben and got Andrew Luck's butt kicked early on his career that eventually caught up with him later.
    Talk about cherrypicking to make an argument. Let's take a step back here and look at his body of work.

98-00. Colts. Peyton Manning's first three seasons. 4,413 yards as a league leader in 2000 and two probowls while Arians was there.
    Becomes OC in 2007 Steelers. First probowl that year. 32 TDs, 11 Ints (Previous year, 23 Ints). He didn't almost get Ben killed. It could be argued (and has been by a few) that he saved Ben's career.
    Andrew Luck, Colts 2012. Andrew Luck goes to probowl with 4374 yards a a rookie and a 11-5 record.
    Carson Palmer. Struggled as QB ever since his knee injury. Goes to Arians in Arizona. has his best season every. 4600 yards, 35 TDs 104.6 passer rating.

Say what you will about him. Arians knows how to coach QBs.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Talk about cherrypicking to make an argument. Let's take a step back here and look at his body of work.

98-00. Colts. Peyton Manning's first three seasons. 4,413 yards as a league leader in 2000 and two probowls while Arians was there.
    Becomes OC in 2007 Steelers. First probowl that year. 32 TDs, 11 Ints (Previous year, 23 Ints). He didn't almost get Ben killed. It could be argued (and has been by a few) that he saved Ben's career.
    Andrew Luck, Colts 2012. Andrew Luck goes to probowl with 4374 yards a a rookie and a 11-5 record.
    Carson Palmer. Struggled as QB ever since his knee injury. Goes to Arians in Arizona. has his best season every. 4600 yards, 35 TDs 104.6 passer rating.

Say what you will about him. Arians knows how to coach QBs.
    I disagree. Luck is out of the league, because Arians get him killed.

It like this:

No protection, pass completed for a TD, Luck picks himself up off of the grass, Luck takes a shot of Toradol and rests on the sideline. Repeat.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I disagree. Luck is out of the league, because Arians get him killed.

It like this:

No protection, pass completed for a TD, Luck picks himself up off of the grass, Luck takes a shot of Toradol and rests on the sideline. Repeat.
    Yep - short term gain long term pain for a QB in the BA system - after 5 years AJRII had seen enough of Ben getting the crap knocked out of him after the 2011 season

Because Arians is relentless in his aim to put pressure on opposing defenses, he regularly uses five-step drops to give his quarterback better sightlines and to buy more time for his receivers to run downfield. Palmer ranked sixth in the league in five-step drops and second in passes of 10-plus air yards from 2015 through '16. And the success was evident: The signal-caller was a legitimate MVP candidate in 2015, as the Cardinals boasted the NFL's top-ranked offense and earned a trip to the NFC Championship Game.

But there's a painful flipside to Arians' system. Because it often exchanges pass protectors for additional route runners, it also requires the five guys up front to win one-on-one battles. This approach works well when you have quick-hitting route concepts or a rock-solid offensive line. However, we know short passes are anathema to the Kangol-wearing coach, and the offensive lines he had in Indy and Arizona were questionable at best -- a truth that's certainly not lost on Luck or Palmer. The recently retired Colts QB had 45 more dropbacks under pressure than the next-closest passer in 2012, when Arians served as interim head coach. Similarly, the Cardinals veteran was hit more in 60 games under B.A. than in 122 total games with the Bengals and Raiders (400 hits to 398). His sacks-per-game figure also soared in Arizona, increasing from 1.7 during his nine-year run in Cincinnati and Oakland to 2.3 in his five seasons in the desert.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...acked-up-to-be

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No denying that Arians will get his QB hit. No risk it no biscuit is his motto. Martz got his QB lit up as well.

All I'm saying is if you want to point to a coach that can take a random QB and produce piles of yards and points, Arians can and has done that.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The O-line misses Munchak.

The Steelers need a TE, OLB, QB and LT.
    And a WR

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    BA's deep drop and get the crap beat out of the QB passing offense would get someone as immobile as Mason knocked out for the season within a month

Posters here have commented on it and Aikman, who rarely criticizes anyone, pointed it out last night. Rudolph does not move well within the pocket and his footwork is a mess when he gets knocked off his spot.

Last night was like watching a golfer's swing fall apart under pressure or, to give a football example, how the mechanics of the 49ers temp kicker unraveled when he shanked the OT kick in the 49ers-Seahawks game this past Monday night
    He could benefit from a real QB coach. How can a team draft a young guy, then we pick him apart because he has lousy mechanics and pocket presence. And the damn team is too stubborn to get him a coach.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Right now I'd even settle for Brian Hoyer.
    But would you settle for Paxton Lynch? At this point I'd give him a shot. Season is lost its time to IR everyone with a hang nail and see what we got in the bottom of the roster. But I know Tomlin will fight to the bitter end to get that .500 season

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    But would you settle for Paxton Lynch? At this point I'd give him a shot. Season is lost its time to IR everyone with a hang nail and see what we got in the bottom of the roster. But I know Tomlin will fight to the bitter end to get that .500 season

I'm with you. I like Rudy but IMO he doesn't have what it takes to be a NFL Qb. I'd start Paxton what have we got to lose at this point?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He could benefit from a real QB coach. How can a team draft a young guy, then we pick him apart because he has lousy mechanics and pocket presence. And the damn team is too stubborn to get him a coach.

Agreed, they need someone other than the OC pulling double duty as QB coach

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    I'm with you. I like Rudy but IMO he doesn't have what it takes to be a NFL Qb. I'd start Paxton what have we got to lose at this point?
    Not going to happen. They will play Mason the entire season unless he gets injured and they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    [/B]
    Not going to happen
    No Tomlin will put it all on the line to end up .500, instead of seeing what the bottom of this roster has got to offer. Shirt term non Sense

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No Tomlin will put it all on the line to end up .500, instead of seeing what the bottom of this roster has got to offer. Shirt term non Sense

They have to let Mason play the season out. I still think he can turn his play around. There is a lot of Mason hate here by the film trust section, but they have been wrong before

They have to let Mason play the season out. I still think he can turn his play around. There is a lot of Mason hate here by the film trust section, but they have been wrong before
    I agree that Mason gets the rest of the season. Just curious, what is your cause for optimism with Rudolph? Just the idea that he has played so few games? Or is it something you see when he plays?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sam "Ghosts" Darnold who hurled up a horrendous performance on National TV and handed the Dolphins their first win just two weeks ago is currently throttling the Redskins with four touchdown passes.

What does it mean for Mason? Nothing.

Mason isn't particularly good now, but we can't truly gauge how good he is until we throw him into some adversity and see how he responds. We complained that the Steelers were protecting him too much. The Offense opened up and he's got his big embarrassing "exposure" game. If Mason doesn't show a response to Thursday Night. Then it can be proven that he isn't cut for the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I agree that Mason gets the rest of the season. Just curious, what is your cause for optimism with Rudolph? Just the idea that he has played so few games? Or is it something you see when he plays?
    A gut feeling. He's a perfectionist to a fault, he needs time to sort out what is and isn't going to work and I think some of that will depend on how well he and Ficht get on. If he doesn't make a starting QB, he'll be a good backup so the remaining games are necessary. Mason has an overload of grit, it's not common for a person to fail when they are put together that way. He'll do what he has to do to make it. While his play hasn't been good the oline and haggard WR corps aren't helping.

A gut feeling. He's a perfectionist to a fault, he needs time to sort out what is and isn't going to work and I think some of that will depend on how well he and Ficht get on. If he doesn't make a starting QB, he'll be a good backup so the remaining games are necessary. Mason has an overload of grit, it's not common for a person to fail when they are put together that way. He'll do what he has to do to make it. While his play hasn't been good the oline and haggard WR corps aren't helping.
    Sure hope you are right.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

As terrible as these two teams were, the Black/Gold was worse. Score could've been easily 40+ to O !!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    As terrible as these two teams were, the Black/Gold was worse. Score could've been easily 40+ to O !!
    Well considering they took out Juju early and then Dionte Johnson who was left? Add to that Conner went out and we don't have a whole lotta depth behind him. What is left to say?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Just a random thought...

Imagine the amount of money Kareem Hunt lost by signing with the Browns. If he would’ve waited until his suspension was over to sign with a team, he’d have possibly had plenty of suitors...Steelers, Eagles, Dolphins, Cardinals, Bills, Redskins, Lions, Texans...pretty healthy list...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just a random thought...

Imagine the amount of money Kareem Hunt lost by kicking a woman who was laying, defenseless on the ground. If he would’ve waited until his suspension was over to sign with a team, he’d have possibly had plenty of suitors...Steelers, Eagles, Dolphins, Cardinals, Bills, Redskins, Lions, Texans...pretty healthy list...
    Slight edit

(Note: I do get your point. It is a seller’s market.)

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Goats - You could probably just list them every week as a default entry, but Danny Smith and his kick return units

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

It seems for years the Steelers kick return teams are horrible and, even when they get a positive return there is always a penalty flag.