Thread: Non-QB MVP---TJ Watt

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Non-QB MVP---TJ Watt

For those who are wondering what kind of respect TJ is garnering around the league, check this out. It's ESPN+ and I no longer have access to content, but you can read the start of the story in the link, where TJ is listed as the top candidate for MVP, outside of QBs. Pretty impressive.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...affrey-missing

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Non-QB MVP---TJ Watt

could make the argument it could also be Fitzpatrick...
    Watt is a great choice no question and he should get that respect

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If anyone has ESPN+ access, please tell us the rest of the 5.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Aaron Donald
    Michael Thomas
    Stephon Gilmore
    Minkah Fitzmagic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

USS Langley is that you?

Thanks for posting the names. Interesting list.

Wonder what the justification for not having McCaffery or Aaron "All I do is rip off TD runs and get YAC" Jones on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by CV1 View Post
    Aaron Donald
    Michael Thomas
    Stephon Gilmore
    Minkah Fitzmagic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow! Two of the top 5!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Wow! Two of the top 5!

Both of them really are that good.

Watt is 25 years old.

Minkah is just 22 years old.

This teams's future is bright as long as those two are in it.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Both of them really are that good.

Watt is 25 years old.

Minkah is just 22 years old.

This teams's future is bright as long as those two are in it.
    I’ll bet this is tearing Ben up.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

All wishful thinking, they'll just give it to Buttbrady or Jackson no matter what.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Even on the Steelers alone, I've got to give the nod to Minkah Fitzpatrick over TJ Watt. And that's not even taking anything away from Watt.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here is a way to think about it. Sandlot-football picking rules apply and you have the first choice (you may only choose one)... do you pick Watt, or, do you pick Minkah?

Man alive!!! that is a tough question. And, as Denny Green replied when asked how he’d get enough touches for Jake Reed AND Chris Carter AND Randy Moss: “It’s a good problem to have.”

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here is a way to think about it. Sandlot-football picking rules apply and you have the first choice (you may only choose one)... do you pick Watt, or, do you pick Minkah?

Man alive!!! that is a tough question. And, as Denny Green replied when asked how he’d get enough touches for Jake Reed AND Chris Carter AND Randy Moss: “It’s a good problem to have.”
    In that scenario you take the guy that takes away the QB. In this case TJ. BUT...let’s just go ahead and sign these two guys to long term contracts and be done.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

How many other competent DBs do you have?

If it's exactly three, you want Fitzpatrick.

If it's any other number, you want Watt every time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No offense against TJ, he's been a major part of the defense, but I would give it to Minkah since the defensive turnaround started with his arrival

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    No offense against TJ, he's been a major part of the defense, but I would give it to Minkah since the defensive turnaround started with his arrival
    It’s hard to argue against that. Minkah has absolutely turned losses into wins. It’s very close, but Minkah’s impact on this team’s turnaround has been so clear and quantifiable.

I’m just glad we don’t have to choose between the two. They are both Godsends.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

The great part of having talent like this in the conversation, is that 9 other guys out there are doing pretty darn good too.
    Even our rookie ILB who came out with his hair on fire, and saved us from positional mediocrity, is almost an afterthought now.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    The great part of having talent like this in the conversation, is that 9 other guys out there are doing pretty darn good too.
    Even our rookie ILB who came out with his hair on fire, and saved us from positional mediocrity, is almost an afterthought now.
    A one-time DROY candidate too