Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ravens the best team in the league now?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Ravens the best team in the league now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    If Jackson stays healthy I don't believe anyone will stop them.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No question about it. Jackson is not a typical running QB tho, he's football smart, strong as hell and very elusive. If he can win a few SB's before breaking both legs it will be well worth it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was watching Steelers-Browns, but those who watched 49ers-Ravens said the 49ers plan on option runs was was to crash the running back, make Lamar Jackson keep the ball (16 carries) and then beat the hell out of Jackson.
    Expect Gregg Williams (DC Jets) to do just that. Williams is known for stretching the rules... who am I kidding: Gregg Williams is dirty. Expect Lamar to get hit hard, hard, hard in the Jets game.

SUMMATION:
    The Jets have nothing to play for; so, expect them to try to ruin the Ravens’ season by targeting Lamar.

NOTE: In no way am I rooting for an injury. Eff that. I despise people who do that. What I am prepared for is Gregg Williams to be an a$$hole (and possibly injure Lamar).

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No question about it. Jackson is not a typical running QB tho, he's football smart, strong as hell and very elusive. If he can win a few SB's before breaking both legs it will be well worth it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So what are the actual numbers for “running” QBs and injury and/or career?

I feel like it’s RG3 on one hand and Vick, Cunningham, and other non catastrophes on the other.

I feel like and havent done anything to look into this, but aren’t most of the “running” QBs with short careers also guys who couldn’t complete passes?

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Fun fact: RG3 is now the Ravens backup.

I still think RG3 could have had a career like Vick (without the jail time), but he was horribly mismanaged in DC.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Fun fact: RG3 is now the Ravens backup.

I still think RG3 could have had a career like Vick (without the jail time), but he was horribly mismanaged in DC.
    Football Outsiders tried to do a study of "mobile QBs" in 2014

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...nd-injury-risk

It is a mixed bag, but in terms of longevity I think the assumption is if a pocket QB blows out a knee or has another season ending significant injury (2008 Brady, 2012 Peyton, 2013/2017 Rodgers) they can come back and pick up where they left off. Whereas a QB who runs as a big part of their game and takes more hits outside the pocket, where the rules/refs do not protect them as much, is going to be impacted more by an injury and return with a diminished overall game while not lasting as long.

Hard to say what would have happened with Vick if he had not gone to prison (he was never a high % passer in his prime), but Cunningham only had six prime years (not counting his 1998 Vikings season where he was no longer much of a runner) and of course RGIII was pretty much done after Shanahan played him until his knee blew out completely in his rookie season.

Cam Newton is the latest example on the pro level as is Tua at the feeder league (aka "college") level of the hazards of being a mobile QB.

That is a concern when you are laying out the big $$$ for the second contract when a running QB may be in decline in the same way a RB often is.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Not sure about the comps, but RGIII was a guy that didn't really make the smartest "business decisions" when he ran. Always tried to extend plays even near the sidelines when the opportunity to get out of bounds was there. Seems if a guy can be smart about getting down when he has the opportunity to slide, get out of bounds early and limit the bigger "squared up" hits, the league is now so QB friendly, a guy with some mobility could thrive longer today. Jackson has both running and throwing ability, so if he stays smart about the hits he's taking, he could be around awhile.... unfortunately for us.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Interesting stuff. Wish my memory was better. But did Newton get hurt on a running play? Same for all these guys. I just don’t remember. Carson Palmer was never really the same after injuries and he rarely left the pocket.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interesting stuff. Wish my memory was better. But did Newton get hurt on a running play? Same for all these guys. I just don’t remember. Carson Palmer was never really the same after injuries and he rarely left the pocket.
    I think Cam had a foot "sprain" in preseason he tried to play through. Seems now it may be a Lisfranc issue and will require surgery. I'm not sure what the circumstance of obtaining said injury was...

So, some Googling pointed to this as being the original play. Week 3 Preseon .vs Patriots... it's a scramble, not really a "run" play per say.

NFL copyright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvd7xVZKq34

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Not sure about the comps, but RGIII was a guy that didn't really make the smartest "business decisions" when he ran. Always tried to extend plays even near the sidelines when the opportunity to get out of bounds was there. Seems if a guy can be smart about getting down when he has the opportunity to slide, get out of bounds early and limit the bigger "squared up" hits, the league is now so QB friendly, a guy with some mobility could thrive longer today. Jackson has both running and throwing ability, so if he stays smart about the hits he's taking, he could be around awhile.... unfortunately for us.
    With regard to staying smart about getting hit, Jackson has a little trick where he fakes going out of bounds, the defender pulls up to avoid the flag, and then goes forward for more yardage

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...elers-nfl-news

If Jackson does not dump that move he is going to get lit up for continuing to do it

I enjoy Jackson’s game and do not wish him to be injured - I just see a high benefit with potentially high cost trade off for his current style

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Lamar Jackson is the gingerbread man, nobody can catch him

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    So, some Googling pointed to this as being the original play. Week 3 Preseon .vs Patriots... it's a scramble, not really a "run" play per say.

NFL copyright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvd7xVZKq34
    Interesting. That could happen to any QB.

I’m starting to think that just like we all think returners get hurt more than other players, we all do the same with running QBs. Maybe in both cases it just isn’t true? No idea.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...injury-report/

Jackson is day to day w/quad injury.

Yeah, if they win the next 2 games, he's sitting vs the Steelers. No way I would let him play if it's a meaningless game.

And here we go

Earl Thomas: Refs need to protect Lamar Jackson more

"Every time somebody hits him, like man, he don't need to be taking those hits," Ravens safety Earl Thomas said Tuesday. "I think the refs need to pay closer attention to that as well and protect him a little bit more. Because teams are trying to do -- I'm not saying they're trying to hurt Lamar -- but they're definitely going at his legs more than they were doing it at first."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-jackson-more

Here's a thought - don't have Lamar run so much or face the consequences

Defenders are going to try to hit a running QB when he runs - who knew?

Maybe tell Lamar to cut out the trick where he fakes running out of bounds then cuts upfield for more yardage while you are at it Earl

Senior Member Array title="Boh will become famous soon enough"> Boh's Avatar

And here we go

"Every time somebody hits him, like man, he don't need to be taking those hits," Ravens safety Earl Thomas said Tuesday. "I think the refs need to pay closer attention to that as well and protect him a little bit more. Because teams are trying to do -- I'm not saying they're trying to hurt Lamar -- but they're definitely going at his legs more than they were doing it at first."

Maybe tell Lamar to cut out the trick where he fakes running out of bounds then cuts upfield for more yardage while you are at it Earl

True but Earl is more so talking about while hes in the Pocket. Lamar tweaked his quad on the 61 yard touchdown pass to Hurst with a low tackle near the knee just after he slinged it.
    https://i.imgur.com/GCEAsxD.png

Quote Originally Posted by Boh View Post
    True but Earl is more so talking about while hes in the Pocket. Lamar tweaked his quad on the 61 yard touchdown pass to Hurst with a low tackle near the knee just after he slinged it.
    That is an occupational hazard for any QB and rules were implemented after Carson Palmer was taken out in the 2005 playoffs and Brady was injured in 2008 to deal with that

I did not see the game but read when Jackson ran 16 times against the 49ers he had the crap beaten out of him by the Niners defense, which tried to force Jackson rather than the running back to run on option plays. Assume that might be a factor in Thomas going public now, along with the Ravens playing the Jets and, as teegre posted previously, their head hunting DC Gregg Williams tomorrow night

As I have posted repeatedly, I do not want to see Jackson hurt but there is a reason running backs have a short shelf life in the NFL

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

And here we go

Maybe refs need to protect Mason Rudolph more.

Thomas is the 5' 9" guy that left his feet to go high and hit the 6' 5" Rudolph in the chin causing a severe concussion. Those are the hits that don't belong in the game. Not the hits on a runner, regardless of the position he plays.

He wants refs to protect a quarterback that becomes a runner on more plays than anyone in history? Oh....OK.

Jackson has to pay the price for making himself vulnerable to hits when he runs the ball. There is no alternative. It is the design of the offense he plays in, and it has been built to maximize his greatest athletic gifts. It is also his choice to tuck that ball and become a runner. It's what defenses do to ball carriers, and will continue to do, unless the NFL does something unimaginably stupid by changing the rules to protect one player.

I certainly don't want Lamar Jackson to get injured. I don't want to see anyone get hurt. I know he plays on a rival team, but I really like the kid. He is good for the NFL, and is a likable person that I want to see succeed....just not against us.

It is up to his coach and the player himself to find ways to protect him as best they can. Legislating safety to protect a team and a player that puts himself in harms way more than anyone else doesn't make any sense and would fundamentally change the way the game is played and the skillset of the quarterback position going forward. Defenses need to be able to hit runners...and particularly quarterbacks that run. It is, and should be, a risk/reward scenario.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Sorry, but Ben got pummeled his whole career and rarely got the calls that Marsha/Brees/Rodgers/Manning etc got to protect them.

That's the danger you have to face especially with a QB that will run/improvise.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Man. I am so not used to a QB like AJ. He’s putting on a show.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

IDK but it certainly looked to me that he got a very favorable call against us earlier this year. A penalty that certainly aided in the game tying drive no less. Earl seems to conveniently forget that, just as Shawn Peyton forgets the calls his team got against the Steelers last year prior to the playoff debacle.

Senior Member Array title="Boh will become famous soon enough"> Boh's Avatar

dat quad tho
    https://i.imgur.com/GCEAsxD.png

Here's the thing though, when you have a QB who is either 1) a runner and thus, harder to bring down because he may run with the ball or 2) an escape artist/very strong and difficult to bring down, the refs are hesitant to blow the whistle because they're hesitant to end the play. However, that also means they're more hesitant to blow the whistle on opposing teams because they know the opposing teams have to carry through to make tackles happen and the QB doesn't escape for a 40 yard run or pass.

Get used to it. You're not going to get a lot of calls unless Lamar turns himself into a statue in the pocket.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

And here we go

Yeah, I'm with you. If you start "protecting" running QBs, you make it impossible to defend against them. Hell, *I* could be a successful QB under those rules. All I have to do is run on every down and dare them to tackle me. Anybody who is outside the pocket and running around is fair game, and that's how it needs to be.. If you don't want to take those sorts of hits, don't run. If you *do* run, give yourself up before you get nailed.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Sorry, but Ben got pummeled his whole career and rarely got the calls that Marsha/Brees/Rodgers/Manning etc got to protect them.
    "But he's a big guy!" - Roger Goodell

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

That's the danger you have to face especially with a QB that will run/improvise.
    To be frank, that’s 110% true about Ben. Even when not running/scrambling and just being whacked while in the pocket. Stevie Wonder could see the disparity.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Still doesn't matter. It's already difficult enough to tackle a QB without drawing a penalty. Now they want special treatment for this guy over other QBs *because* he runs a lot?? The fact that he runs a lot is precisely why he needs to be tackled ASAP.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Lamar Jackson is the gingerbread man, nobody can catch him
    TGBM got caught.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    TGBM got caught.
    HAHA excellent point! As I recall, he also suffered a "career ending injury"...