Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ravens the best team in the league now?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Ravens the best team in the league now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    If Jackson stays healthy I don't believe anyone will stop them.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No question about it. Jackson is not a typical running QB tho, he's football smart, strong as hell and very elusive. If he can win a few SB's before breaking both legs it will be well worth it.
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

--Richard Feynmann

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I was watching Steelers-Browns, but those who watched 49ers-Ravens said the 49ers plan on option runs was was to crash the running back, make Lamar Jackson keep the ball (16 carries) and then beat the hell out of Jackson.
    Expect Gregg Williams (DC Jets) to do just that. Williams is known for stretching the rules... who am I kidding: Gregg Williams is dirty. Expect Lamar to get hit hard, hard, hard in the Jets game.

SUMMATION:
    The Jets have nothing to play for; so, expect them to try to ruin the Ravens’ season by targeting Lamar.

NOTE: In no way am I rooting for an injury. Eff that. I despise people who do that. What I am prepared for is Gregg Williams to be an a$$hole (and possibly injure Lamar).

Senior Member Array title="tom444 is a name known to all"> tom444's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No question about it. Jackson is not a typical running QB tho, he's football smart, strong as hell and very elusive. If he can win a few SB's before breaking both legs it will be well worth it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So what are the actual numbers for ďrunningĒ QBs and injury and/or career?

I feel like itís RG3 on one hand and Vick, Cunningham, and other non catastrophes on the other.

I feel like and havent done anything to look into this, but arenít most of the ďrunningĒ QBs with short careers also guys who couldnít complete passes?

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s has a spectacular aura about">

Fun fact: RG3 is now the Ravens backup.

I still think RG3 could have had a career like Vick (without the jail time), but he was horribly mismanaged in DC.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Fun fact: RG3 is now the Ravens backup.

I still think RG3 could have had a career like Vick (without the jail time), but he was horribly mismanaged in DC.
    Football Outsiders tried to do a study of "mobile QBs" in 2014

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...nd-injury-risk

It is a mixed bag, but in terms of longevity I think the assumption is if a pocket QB blows out a knee or has another season ending significant injury (2008 Brady, 2012 Peyton, 2013/2017 Rodgers) they can come back and pick up where they left off. Whereas a QB who runs as a big part of their game and takes more hits outside the pocket, where the rules/refs do not protect them as much, is going to be impacted more by an injury and return with a diminished overall game while not lasting as long.

Hard to say what would have happened with Vick if he had not gone to prison (he was never a high % passer in his prime), but Cunningham only had six prime years (not counting his 1998 Vikings season where he was no longer much of a runner) and of course RGIII was pretty much done after Shanahan played him until his knee blew out completely in his rookie season.

Cam Newton is the latest example on the pro level as is Tua at the feeder league (aka "college") level of the hazards of being a mobile QB.

That is a concern when you are laying out the big $$$ for the second contract when a running QB may be in decline in the same way a RB often is.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Not sure about the comps, but RGIII was a guy that didn't really make the smartest "business decisions" when he ran. Always tried to extend plays even near the sidelines when the opportunity to get out of bounds was there. Seems if a guy can be smart about getting down when he has the opportunity to slide, get out of bounds early and limit the bigger "squared up" hits, the league is now so QB friendly, a guy with some mobility could thrive longer today. Jackson has both running and throwing ability, so if he stays smart about the hits he's taking, he could be around awhile.... unfortunately for us.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Interesting stuff. Wish my memory was better. But did Newton get hurt on a running play? Same for all these guys. I just donít remember. Carson Palmer was never really the same after injuries and he rarely left the pocket.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interesting stuff. Wish my memory was better. But did Newton get hurt on a running play? Same for all these guys. I just don’t remember. Carson Palmer was never really the same after injuries and he rarely left the pocket.
    I think Cam had a foot "sprain" in preseason he tried to play through. Seems now it may be a Lisfranc issue and will require surgery. I'm not sure what the circumstance of obtaining said injury was...

So, some Googling pointed to this as being the original play. Week 3 Preseon .vs Patriots... it's a scramble, not really a "run" play per say.

NFL copyright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvd7xVZKq34

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Not sure about the comps, but RGIII was a guy that didn't really make the smartest "business decisions" when he ran. Always tried to extend plays even near the sidelines when the opportunity to get out of bounds was there. Seems if a guy can be smart about getting down when he has the opportunity to slide, get out of bounds early and limit the bigger "squared up" hits, the league is now so QB friendly, a guy with some mobility could thrive longer today. Jackson has both running and throwing ability, so if he stays smart about the hits he's taking, he could be around awhile.... unfortunately for us.
    With regard to staying smart about getting hit, Jackson has a little trick where he fakes going out of bounds, the defender pulls up to avoid the flag, and then goes forward for more yardage

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...elers-nfl-news

If Jackson does not dump that move he is going to get lit up for continuing to do it

I enjoy Jackson’s game and do not wish him to be injured - I just see a high benefit with potentially high cost trade off for his current style

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Lamar Jackson is the gingerbread man, nobody can catch him
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    So, some Googling pointed to this as being the original play. Week 3 Preseon .vs Patriots... it's a scramble, not really a "run" play per say.

NFL copyright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvd7xVZKq34
    Interesting. That could happen to any QB.

Iím starting to think that just like we all think returners get hurt more than other players, we all do the same with running QBs. Maybe in both cases it just isnít true? No idea.