Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Put This in Perspective

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Let's Put This in Perspective

The season is 9 games old. Let's put some things in perspective. The Steelers are 5-4. How did they get there? Consider the following:

• First game was a disaster - an avalanche. So let's throw that out for the moment.
    • The team started 0-3, then 1-4, and is now 5-4 with 4 wins in a row.
    • The 3 losses (since the first game) are by a combined total of 9 points to teams that are 22-4, with one in OT.
    • This is being done with a backup QB that the majority on this board think will not be a quality NFL starter (I disagree).
    • The next 6 games are against teams that are a combined 14-31-1, then a finale against the 7-2 Ravens.
    • If the season ended today, the Steelers are in the playoffs as the #6 seed.
    • The defense is getting better every week with playmakers on all three levels. They have 26 turnovers, trailing NE by 1 for the lead.
    • Boz is MONEY again.
    • Tomlin is at his best when there is adversity. He's an excellent crisis manager. I've always said that's his best quality.

Browns on Thursday night and I HATE the Browns. Huge game!

What isn't there to like??

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Let's Put This in Perspective

A: I don't like Switzer.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I was not disappointed yesterday when they reported his return was questionable! Problem solved.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The season is 9 games old. Let's put some things in perspective. The Steelers are 5-4. How did they get there? Consider the following:

• First game was a disaster - an avalanche. So let's throw that out for the moment.
    • The 3 losses (since the first game) are by a combined total of 9 points to teams that are 22-4, with one in OT.
    • This is being done with a backup QB that the majority on this board think will not be a quality NFL starter (I disagree).
    • The next 6 games are against teams that are a combined 14-31-1, then a finale against the 7-2 Ravens.
    • The defense is getting better every week with playmakers on all three levels. They have 26 turnovers, trailing NE by 1 for the lead.
    • Boz is MONEY again.
    • Tomlin is at his best when there is adversity. He's an excellent crisis manager. I've always said that's his best quality.

It’s funny. If a couple of tiny things went right we could be 8-1.

But then again we probably deserved to lose to the Colts. And this team is so difficult to assess going forward because so far we don’t have an offense that can score TDs. We are entirely dependent on defense to get multiple splash plays and even scoring. I’m not sure that is a sustainable formula. It might be different if we were like 2000 Ravens, with an incredible running game and the best special teams in football.

Our offense simply has to get better. Rudolph seems to be improving, so that’s a good sign. But our O line just HAS to be better at run blocking.

Maybe we just need to get healthier. I don’t know. But if our offense becomes an actual threat, we’ll have a good football team.

If only we had this defense last year, or the year before, we would have probably gone to the Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I agree he's worthless, him and Burns waste of roster spots. But Dontae doesn't look real dependable receiving punts, just a feeling I have but Im nervous until he secures football.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Browns week is huge right now. We have momentum and cannot overlook this game just because Browns. This one is at Cleveland. The Browns have had this game circled since it was announced. The fans will be very Cleveland and expect a cheap shot show by the players as well. Our young guys need to be able to stay focused and on point or this game could get seriously ugly. Talking Beckham vs Norman/Humphrey type ugly. If we do this right we can get wins the next 6 games and just see how that last game vs the Ravens plays out. Math says we can be at 11-4 with one to go if this team can stay focused and stay on task. That’s my perspective. From 1-4 to 12-4!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I was not disappointed yesterday when they reported his return was questionable! Problem solved.
    I would say that was one of the best unintentional double meanings of all time ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

What not to like...hmmm

The D gave up 3 points, WRs dropping passes, O not converting turn overs into points, Pouncy hikes the ball to high or to low (yes he is injured I get it), 2 safeties from the Oline, questionable play calling at times.

We can always do better.

I completely agree about Switzer, the guy is great the player is not.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

• Boz is MONEY again.

I love this post.

This isn't the time to bitch about what the team isn't doing. They have overcome so much and have made significant strides with a list of injuries at key positions that would have destroyed teams with less resolve.

This is the time to celebrate what they have done to this point and to watch this young, hungry team play their asses off to grind out victories by doing whatever it takes, and by any means necessary. Expectations were so low from the seemingly inevitable certainty of failure that this team has inspired me with their play and their effort.

In some ways, this the most fun I've had rooting for this team in a while.

Screw the expectations. Watching these new pieces come in and compete like crazy has me pumped! I'm all in with this current group, and I am truly excited about the rest of this season and the prospect of great things in the following years.

Bring it on!
    Last edited by pczach; 11-11-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

We are on a roll. But how long can we count on defensive score or the other team missing field goals to win games? And a little help from the men in stripes. ( I don't think Washington had a TD catch, but hey they gave it to us ) Based on who we play, I can see 10-6 or 9-7.

The offense has to pick it up.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

As others have said, there's room for improvement. Our ability to run the ball and stop the run is average to poor, even when Conner and Rosie Nix are healthy. We're not protecting the ball properly on the back end of plays. We're drawing procedural penalties at home.

I think we have enough pieces to make a playoff run, but we need to tighten up the execution in several areas. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying watching the game.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Browns week is huge right now. We have momentum and cannot overlook this game just because Browns. This one is at Cleveland. The Browns have had this game circled since it was announced. The fans will be very Cleveland and expect a cheap shot show by the players as well. Our young guys need to be able to stay focused and on point or this game could get seriously ugly. Talking Beckham vs Norman/Humphrey type ugly. If we do this right we can get wins the next 6 games and just see how that last game vs the Ravens plays out. Math says we can be at 11-4 with one to go if this team can stay focused and stay on task. That’s my perspective. From 1-4 to 12-4!
    The Browns are dangerous, the win against the Ravens was a glimpse into what that team could do if they got their heads out of their asses and got their act together. I’m expecting this game to not be easy since it’s their super bowl

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The Browns are dangerous, the win against the Ravens was a glimpse into what that team could do if they got their heads out of their asses and got their act together. I’m expecting this game to not be easy since it’s their super bowl
    I don’t expect any game for the rest of the season, to be easy. Keep your blood pressure meds or alcohol, or both.......close by.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I don’t expect any game for the rest of the season, to be easy. Keep your blood pressure meds or alcohol, or both.......close by.
    Well no games except the bengals lol

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Him amd ChickaSLOW can be removed IMO. they were both projects , project is over.

Switz is not edelman/welker 2.0 . Johny Holton is more dangerous returner IMO.
    and Chickalo is to slow to be OLB too small to be DE. Ola Adenyi should be above him on depth chart.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Steeler wr’s need to get used to Rudolph’s passing (spin, speed). I think they’ll perform better this week, having Conner back will be big, as will Foster.

big division game on the road. I think this game will set the tone for the rest of the schedule. This team does seem more focused than past seasons -

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They are in it, and they got some young potential franchise cornerstones on D in Watt and Fitzpatrick which excites me plus Bush could be a future stud as well. Problem is no game is a gimme win for steelers and the offense is just plain frustrating

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Anyone else excited by D. Johnson and his performance as a rookie? Or is that just me...dude plays with some flash and dash for a rookie.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Anyone else excited by D. Johnson and his performance as a rookie? Or is that just me...dude plays with some flash and dash for a rookie.
    Kind of what I expected. Quickness and basketball like lateral movement to defeat the jam. Not explosive speed or expecting him to run away from many defenders. Good hands, but will drop some that he should catch. Works better over the middle or getting open, but not going to out duel defender on 50-50 balls. A lot of pro comps had him like Travis Benjamin, but Benjamin is faster. Seems close.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Do not under estimate the Steelers ability to play down to their opponents. The Browns are dangerous and if we lose - it will be because of Chubb and not the WRs

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

After last night’s game (MNF), losing to those two teams by a combined 6 points gives me hope.

Speaking of hope and/or of Niners, the Ravens have to play the Niners and the Texans. If they lose one of those games, the Week 17 Steelers-Ravens game will likely decide the AFC North.

It could be a matchup of a 11-4 Steelers team versus an 12-3 Ravens team... and if both teams end up 12-4, the Steelers would hold the divisional tie-breaker.

But first... “wiggle your little toe.”

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Don't forget we could have easily won the Seattle, SF, and Baltimore games as well and been 8-1. Horrible turnovers in each game cost us bigly.

If this offense can get any type of act together and China-doll Conner can stay healthy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Don't forget we could have easily won the Seattle, SF, and Baltimore games as well and been 8-1. Horrible turnovers in each game cost us bigly.

If this offense can get any type of act together and China-doll Conner can stay healthy ...
    Truth be told, we are what our record says we are -- 5-4. The way the ball has bounced has been just about even. But if we win Thursday night, I can see this team going 10-6.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Truth be told, we are what our record says we are -- 5-4. The way the ball has bounced has been just about even. But if we win Thursday night, I can see this team going 10-6.
    Agree, this team could go 10-6 which would be somewhat miraculous. I am always concerned with let downs against supposed inferior competition, like Jets and Cardinals, but the reality is there are no guaranteed wins in the NFL. Its not like college where you can schedule a patsie for homecoming week.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Do not under estimate the Steelers ability to play down to their opponents. The Browns are dangerous and if we lose - it will be because of Chubb and not the WRs
    I honestly am not worried about that so much this year, they've beaten the 2 bad teams they played pretty handidly, but struggled against the good teams. I honestly think a lot of the 'playing down' had to do with #1 not having a good defense so any team was able to score against us, #2 - Possibly Ben and his style of sandlot football and less preparation. Now we have a possibly top 5 defense and a young QB who is known to be all about preparation.

The way I see it, I'm less worried about 'bad' teams, but think our ceiling is lower. As of right now I'm ok with that. But I do agree the browns are dangerous and better than their record says. With their roster it's an absolute disaster that this team has a losing record.

With that said, they really need to stop Chubb from running wild. Mayfield and OBJ get all the headlines but Chubb is the guy that makes that offense go.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I’ve been excited about D. Johnson since I heard D. Drake RAVE about him after the draft. I think the kid is going to be a star, but with a really good head on his shoulders.

I was really looking forward to him playing with Big Ben, because I think Johnson has the potential to eventually fill that missing AB role.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Well no games except the bengals lol
    LOL !! That's one of the games I'd be most afraid of...... a pure target game, not to be taken lightly.

Killer loved him. Eh... okay.

Riddick said that DJ was the best receiver in the draft at getting separation off of the LOS. I’ve watched him (isolated) many a play, and the dude is uncoverable. If BB was here, we’d see a bunch of quick passes, right after the snap, to DJ... caught for yards and taken for 7 yards. Rudolph doesn’t have that type of confidence (nor the arm strength).

Still, you can see how open DJ is on almost every play. He leads the league in separation.

SUMMATION:
    AB lite

DJ is on pace for 53 catches for 645 yards and 5 TDs, with a backup QB. I think he’ll exceed those numbers. I see a career similar to E. Sanders for him. Great pick.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

DJ is on pace for 53 catches for 645 yards and 5 TDs, with a backup QB. I think he’ll exceed those numbers. I see a career similar to E. Sanders for him. Great pick.
    I’ll definitely take a Sanders similarity.